Thanks

Real time fiber optic camouflage

main

http://www.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/proj...DIA/xv/oc.html

quicktime vid

http://www.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/proj...oc-okugai3.mpg

let me know if its not working

download the video---HOLEE shit!!
    Last edited by tyboogie; March 25th, 2003 at 01:07 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    That is so cool! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks
    Where can I get one of those raincoats?
    www.robertomarchesi.com

Thanks
    Metal Gear Solid comes true! :shocked:

Man, this is really really bad ass science-fiction

thanks for sharing, cu

Thanks
    pretty hot, I want one:rofl: :nod:
    Perfect Kay

Thanks
    that is sooooo shirow.
    i remember talking with a friend about active optical camo some two years ago when we both were on our absolute ghost in the shell trip. (anyone understood the point in manmachine interface or am i extraordinarily stupid?)
    we came to the point that this whole projection thing would be ending up very clumsy and probably unstable.

imagine a complete suit that takes photos frequently (some 30/second) from every direction, projecting them in hdr (or your camo wouldn't be convincing) onto the opposite site...
    plus, you'd have to make everything like these little holographic images where the image you see depends on the angle of you viewing the opbject - if you wont, you will end up seeing a little bit of the other sides' projection, too and that would look inconvincing again...
    and finally.. a wrinkle in cloth could destroy everything.

we in fact end up at the sme point than shirow...
    it'd be far easier to make something emit special visual data that cause the perception system to "bluescreen". you won't be camouflaged like standing somewhere ond no one noticing you but it would give you one hell of advantage over anyone else.

heck... people in gits could have used quite simple devices to spot the amount of electromagnetism that their opto-cams must be emitting...

Thanks
    This is cool but from my understanding there is nothing special about the coat itself. They are using a camera and a computer to analyze a scene, mask out a selected object which in this case is the coat, and use a projector and a mirror (retroreflector??) to display the background image on the guys coat.
    Basically they are just projecting a movie of the background scene on the coat in the same way a movie theatre projects a movie onto the screen ....right?

Seems a little bulky hardware and infrastructure wise. Would like to see it self contained in the coat itself with the camera, computer and display built into the fabric. Unfortunatly i dont think current display tech is up to the task of making such a coat. To my knowledge there are no flexible display technologies available aside from E-ink ( http://www.eink.com/ ) and Organic LEDs ( http://www.projectorpeople.com/tutor...mages/oled.gif and http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/display/overview.jhtml ) which are both in their infancy. Gekitsu as you said other pro,blems include how to compensate for folds in cloth and how that affects the displayed image a well as how to control the directions that the image is recorded and subsequently displayed. And you are totally right, a major problem is what hapens when the viewer is at an angle that the camoflauge is not expecting. In this case the displayed image would not line up with the background and thus lose its effect.
    blah... we're a long way off from Shirow's therm-optic camo.

Still a cool technology tho, going to be neat to see how it develops. I'd imagine the military is is highly interested in this.

edit: Just remembered this link: http://www.luminex.it/
    i think it was on slashdot or fark a while ago. Seems like this farbric simply has fiber optics (although i dont think they ever say fiber optics just Luminex, but what else could it be?) woven through it but its never actually stated. I dont think this company uses any sophisticated way of controlling the light emitted from the fibers however they do say this:
    Using integrated electronics (microchips with greatly reduced dimensions and weight) LUMINEX® will not only gain even more surprising luminous effects but it will be transformed into an intelligent material, able to process signals like a heartbeat or body temperature and to respond consistently to environmental stimuli.
    -sounds pretty sweet. Looks fun but how do you control the glow that permeates thro the entire cloth.

haha I love this topic. One other link about Boeing's new Bird of Prey. Check the bottom of this article about the possibility that this aircraft uses active camo. Ordinarily i wouldn't believe this website but i remember reading this info somewhere fairly respectable although now i cant remember where. oh well here it is: http://www.invisible-defenders.org/p...p-air-char.htm

any ideas?
    Last edited by ummo; March 25th, 2003 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanx for the info UMMO! i was aware of the projector--but still thought it was cool that they had a "test" recorded of what it would look like --the only thing i did'nt understand was how the projection could only be seen by the said objects/coat/. what is it about the projector or the object that allows for those two to interact and not everything else.

the folds and angle issue are definitely going to render it less than perfect. but still with those probs aside i would think it would still be better than any camou out there--like cloth patterns. If you engage enemy turn toward them immediatly and stay still.hahaha

electronic ink is interesting--and how long until flexible LCD's
    i wanna read my newspaper from a computer scroll!!!

Luminex---COOL---
    Using integrated electronics (microchips with greatly reduced dimensions and weight)

uhhhh.... yea---so that means beyond my price range right?

new technology is a trip!---ty

Thanks
    I knew how it worked but I didn't bother to read it I think its just more fun to look and just assume... I don't think any of us would think about something like this
    Perfect Kay