Sketchbook: M u f f i n s . . . Eat them, don't use them as upholstery...
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: M u f f i n s . . . Eat them, don't use them as upholstery...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow M u f f i n s . . . Eat them, don't use them as upholstery...

I am ecstatic that I finally got around to posting and making a sketchbook. I have been just lurking through these everyday for about half a year... Referencing and practicing untill I thought I had enough practice to finally post my sketches and what not. I hope to grow artisticly through this and hope to post for a few years...

A bit about me...

I live in USA in IL... Suburb of Chicago... I am currently 15... (Still have a lot ahead of me...) I hope to go to Miad Institute of Art & Design College in Milwaukee, WI... I just finished my Freshman year in highschool and about to start my sophomore year...

What I use - Painter 9 / Photoshop CS / 9.5 x 6 inch sketchbook / Any pencil I can find (I would love pointers on getting something better) / I actually love to draw in pen more though / Wacom 3 (smaller version)

Anyways... If they are references I will try to post who/where they came from... Some of them are pretty old though =/

And if you think I should resize them I will try to keep them smaller...

Here you go... ( I talk to much... Oh yeah my name is Cody )

-First sketch with Wacom... Obviously very choppy and etchy... Still didn't have my tablet motor skills yet.. It is Gabe from the Penny Arcade online comic... Ref.

-Second sketch with Wacom... (It is Raziel)

-Okay well you get the idea this is the third... They should be in chronological order of when I drew them... Ref.

-Made this guy up... His name is Donnie... Maybe an alter ego???

-Gasmask guy... Kind of Ref. from Liam C. (I heart Liam!) Well the idea at least not exact... Came out very blurry... Was first time using Painter 9...

-Never finished it... I will later though... It is Spawn... Ref.

-Spike from Cowboy Bebop...

-Naota from FLCL ... Extremely etchy... It was 5 am gimme a break... Just a quick sketch...

-Painted version of previous. (Again that morning...) Second attempt of Painter 9 as well...

-Painted version of Spike... Third attempt... (Still chronological order)

-Ref. from a drawing done by DaveTheOriginal... He had a blank picture of this and a painted one... (Quite the talented guy) Just needed some painting practice... Hope he doesn't mind...

-Creation of mine...

-Painted version of previous.

Okay now for sketchbook scans... Just a few today though... Eventually will get around to scanning them all... Some of these are very old... No chronological order... Just random doodles...

-I'm pretty sure I got all the Ref. and wrote a little "Ref." next to any of them..

-Okay this one is about a year ago... In a class of mine I was supposed to be studying... But I drew the guy next to me instead... There obviously is no mouth...

Well that is about all for tonight...

Later

-Edit-
    I would love your C&C I definatly need it and have a long long way to go artisticly...

Last edited by Razie|; July 26th, 2005 at 04:50 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No one wuvs me =(... Oh and I lied... More!... Just doodles though... I wish I was better =(

-Most Ref. random things I felt like drawing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're serious about your artwork, I'd highly recommend that you start with the basics and foundations, such as understanding human anatomy, proportion, perspective, lighting, color theory, design principles, linework, value, contrast and so on.

These might not sound like the most interesting things in the world, but without these, your artwork will never live up to your imagination - and besides, you'll need to study these in university anyway, better to get a handle on them now so that when you do go to university, the lecturers and tutors will be able to give you a hand in sharpening your skills that you already have, go in there un prepared and you probably wont enjoy yourself and you'll be on the back foot a lot of the time.

Good luck.

- m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man not bad for starting out. I will give you general advise to start.

Draw everything you see. draw your friends, family, teachers, pets, the sky and your back yard. train your eye to pick out shapes. what I mean by this is to look at a ball and draw the shapes of the different tones from light to dark making each different tone a shape.

And have fun while your at it. Post even if you are getting no comment someone is bound to stop by and give you a reply even out of pity, just look at my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man - thanks for the crit on my sketchbook . I've been waiting for someone to post, and voila! here you are. I think you've got a great concept of contour. your reference drawings are done pretty well. I also like your color work - that's something i definately need to work on. I do agree that some life studies will definately help you out. if you cant get any life drawing sessions (take a semester class at an art school or something) go to the pool or beach, and draw people in bathing suits - that's as close to the nude figure as you're gonna get without getting into trouble! ^_^ My biggest piece of advice? Believe you're getting better. No matter what, believe you're getting better. that will keep you drawing, even when you do hit a rut, and arent really progressing - believe you're getting better.
    keep up the good work!

Creation is an act of divinity. We are all gods of our own worlds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well just one page tonight... Not much... Kind of lost train of thought being on the phone and what not... Kind of couldn't find any references I wanted to do or nothing popped into my head... (It happens) ... Tomorrow I think I will start to do a few studies on anatomy and everything I can really...

-A Ref. from Liam C... Another Ref. (the insect segmented leg) forgot who from... =( If I think of it I will surely post it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so I lied... I decided to sharpen a little painting skills instead of doing some studies... But next time I will...

Oh and Beng and Magic - Thanks... I am kind of young so that is my excuse for not being awesome... I get so jealous when I come here... I literally sat here for 4 hours and looked at everyone sketchbooks... I will try everything I can in the next three years to get ready and hopefully be ahead of most for college... I will draw everything and do studies...

Oh and I would also like everyone to recommend - Pencils, Markers, Pens, Sketchbooks, Paper, Programs to use, and Studies... (Like loomis or something)
    It would be most appreciated.

-Okay so I just painted and mixed a two of the drawings above... I would appreciate if someone would give C&C on my painting... Even finish them if you like and then post them for me...

-Close up to leg thing

-Close up to man guy thing...

-Close up on corner...

Sorry for all the repeats... Just was a huge picture so I (obviously) put the resized one and then cut out the orignal sizes...

Well untill next time...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    knowen you since before i can remember.. work on all tha they say... i may be better than you now but you will beat me with time and work... and good work since last i saw.. keep me informed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so I watched a tutorial by Killing.People (Extremely helpful I might add) so I though I would start a picture... I didn't have much inspiration tonight so I just took one of my other pictures above and remade it bigger... And started away painting... This is definatly only about 10% done I think he will be stabbing someone or something of the like... I just wanted to show you guys what is happening so far... (I think this is quite the improvement for me...)

-Please C&C this! I want to make it as good as possible before I go on...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, good start but is this what u did for 2 years? U got to draw more maaaan, like every day.
    My sugestion is to try not to go inch by inch and allways going back on your lines. U have to traine yourself to do a continuous line. Until u do that, just do your sketches with a hard pencil first (no softer then HB). Keep it up

I'd love some constructive criticism : my sketchbook TY for taking the time
    Let's all just be friends and chill the f*** out, k ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cotletan pretty much summed it up. Don't be so tentative with your linework; it's too "etchy" You gotta use solid lines.

Don't forget the basics: line, tone, form, colour theory...
    It really helps to break your forms into basic shapes: sphere, cone cube, etc.

I did a kindof "paintover" of your recent piece, if you don't mind. The forehead'nose area should be more elongated, and the head has an ovalular (is that even a word?) shape to it.

Keep it up!
    Don't stop drawing.!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.