Thanks

Wasp LCD buying = psychological discomfort

Hello all. I'm pleased to be making my debut post at ConceptArt.org by asking a frustrating question: what LCD monitor should I buy?

I've asked around at various sites, but most of the LCD owners I've encountered are hardcore gamers. I like gaming too, but I plan to use MY screen primarily for the production of digital art. I got a new Intuos3 for digital painting (whoo!) and I do a lot of video work with Premiere & AfterFX. I am NOT a professional (merely a fledging art student) and as such don't have the budget of a professional.

I've read every review I could find TWICE, but all the data have only confused me more. My hope is that those of you who have had artistic success with your LCDs will pipe up and tell me what screens you like best and why. Below is a short list of things I'm looking for:

19" (I don't fancy resolutions higher than 1280x1024)
    Reasonably low brightness (so I can work for many hours without eye strain)
    The best color reproduction my budget (see below) can buy
    Something under $500 (preferably below $400)
    Response time <= 20ms (for video editing & gaming)
    Swivel would be nice

Models I've seriously considered:
    Dell Ultrasharp 1905FP
    ViewSonic VP191b
    Hyundai L90D+

I hope it's not presumptuous of me to ask such a hefty question in my first post Thanks for considering my dilemma!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    for a second the I thought the title of this post was "LSD buying = phychological discomfort". and it made sence at the time.

i have nothing else constructive to say.

Thanks
    I bought a viewsonic VX715 about a month ago, it's a good monitor that doesn't cost too much, but it's obviously not the perfect screen for artsy jobs. I've learned a few things from my purchase though.

Firstly, get something with as fast response time as possible even though you may not use it primarily for gaming. With a bad response time your brushes will seem to lag if you got brush ghosting turned on, something I find incredibly irritating since my machine is otherwise pretty high end and I experienced no lag at all on my old CRT.

Secondly, get a 17" instead of a 19", they have the same native resolution of 1280x1024, and the 17" feels as big as a 19" CRT, so there is in my oppinion no reason at all to spend more money on a 19" LCD.

Thirdly, unless you're absolutely sure you want a LCD, perhaps you should consider a high end CRT instead, such as a LaCie 19".

/steps back and waits for Fipse to enter the thread and share some of his incredible monitor knowledge.

Thanks
    the dell ultrasharps are pretty great (though they vary depending on the panel used in each size). i was going to get an apple cinema display 23", but after hearing about all the problems people are having with them, especially the 'pink tint' one, i went for a dell 2405, which is nice.

Thanks
    I *JUST* got a dell 17 inches ultrasharp. I find it's a hella lot brighter than my normal CRT and wasn't planning on using any kind of LCD to paint. I need to have my colours properly displayed thus using the Ultrasharp as a secondary and using the LaCie CRT as primary. Mind you, I haven't had time to re calibrate everything to my liking. I'm also learning as I go and will post here on my findings if you'd like.

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Many of the LCDs I've looked at are way too bright to look at comfortably for extended periods of time. I've been looking at the Viewsonic VP191b lately--it was favorably reviewed at Tomshardware.com. The low brightness, deep blacks, PVA rendering, and quick response times all appeal to me. Too bad it kind of sucks for video... maybe I wouldn't notice it editing DV, though. Hmm...

Olsen: I'm avoiding tubes primarily because of the size and weight. I'm tired of hauling around 50 lbs of glass and metal, and I was hoping to actually have deskspace this school year. Unless everybody convinces me that LCDs are the devil when it comes to drawing, I'm going to stay away from CRTs.

I'm going to stick with a 19" because according to Tomshardware, most companies are diverting funds from 17" models to 19" models and as a result the prices are going down and the technology is improving. The speed of the new Overdrive technology in particular is very enticing.

Egerie: I was looking at the Dell panels pretty seriously, but if you say they're bright I probably want to avoid them And please do continue to post your findings here!

Thanks

Lightbulb

I recently replaced my dual-screen CRT setup with a dual flat-panel arrangement. I got a couple of AG Neovo 19" panels, which are really good for the price.

Although I have a DVI port on my graphics card, I ended up using VGA cables for both of the monitors, since that enables you to set colour temperature preferences via the monitor's OSD.
    I'm not sure how it is with other monitors, but I think the DVI connection overrides settings like that, since it assumes you'll be setting them in software drivers.

My original CRT had a good brightness/contrast and colour temperature, so basically I just put the two side-by-side and tweaked the settings of the flat panel until it was a close match. Obviously it was brighter and a little more contrasted, since they just inherently are, but I think that's something you can get used to and work with. I certainly haven't had any brightness/contrast issues with any work I've been doing.

Thanks
    Cool MoP. I was planning on doing something similar. Unfortunately, I can't find my LaCie ElectronBlue 19 II CRT drivers anywhere... Going to calibrate and eyeball it with a mix of adobe gama and PowerStrip. Then try to get the LCD as close of it as I can with custom user settings (since I use a DVI connection...). It's incredible how the colours shift from one screen to another.. I'm scared to think how artwork could look so different than originaly thought to be painted on different machines !

Thanks
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001156

I use this one. It is outdated, but that's why it's only 400 dollars.

I think it's pretty awesome. I would buy another one if I could afford it.