Any feedback on Pratt Institute?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Any feedback on Pratt Institute?

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience at this school or knows someone else's experience. My friend visited Pratt but said that the area was surrounded by ghettos, which is a bit of a turn off but I'll still be more than willing to go if I can get a decent education there. I'm really looking into the Computer Graphics & Interactive Media which is like computer animation, I guess.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The search tool is your friend. For instance, http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40559.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I did search for Pratt, but some reason I didn't seem to catch that thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not a ghetto, its Brooklyn.. and Brooklyn fucking rocks.

Pratt however does not. Read the posts in the thread that Elwell directed you to.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to chime in since I went to Pratt also and uh... well... I'll keep most of my opinions to myself, some pleasant, some not. But as far as the neighborhood, not that bad really. Gentrification's going great! Like the dude said, it's Brooklyn. As far as the kind of education you'll get I'd have to ask what you really wanna do in the end. Editorial illustration? Sign right up. Anything beyond that... let's just say I'm teaching myself now what I paid to learn.

Last edited by Dead Bunny; July 26th, 2005 at 07:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm currently majoring in illustration at Pratt, and for illustration Pratt is really pretty damn good. All of my professors are working in thier fields and are helpoful, knowledgable and well connected. if you want to do illustration, Pratt is a good school for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tack
    ..and for illustration Pratt is really pretty damn good.
    It depends what kind of illustration you're talking about.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pratt in Utica, NY

I can't say much about the Brooklyn campus, and i know that being in the city is a big reason to go to Pratt, however... i'm a sophomore at Pratt at Munson Williams Proctor in Utica, NY and i feel the need to spread the word about this fantastic little school we've got here. If you're going to major in any communications design, fine art or art ed. major, i suggest going to Munson. The program is set up so that you spend two years here, and then automatically transfer to the brooklyn campus. reasons to go here?

- Munson costs approximately 12,000 dollars a year less than the brooklyn campus, but is part of Pratt.
    - No distractions. There's not a lot going on in Utica, so you pretty much just focus on your art all the time. (you do have to entertain yourself on the weekends, though)
    - 150 students. There are so few students that you can't help but become friends with your faculty. (My drawing teacher is taking me to lunch this week because he wants me to get some work up at some cafe near his house)
    - the museum. There is an art museum ON CAMPUS. it's a great museum and it's a whole 3 minute walk from your dorms. pretty sweet.

and the faculty is amazing. i'm in love with all of my teachers, and almost everybody goes by a first name basis. Again this is just for foundations courses. Freshmen all take the same classes... Drawing, 3D, Light color and Design, 4d (computer based "time art" course) art history and an english. You take the same classes both semesters but usually switch up your professors, which gets you to know your faculty better. sophomore year is different, you have choices about classes...

anyway, it's a great foundations education, and i know a lot of students who ended up transferring to SAIC, MICA and other good schools instead of finishing at pratt in brooklyn. check it out

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.