Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Flower

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Flower

As pretty as she is deadly. The Flower.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The image lost a lot of pencil detail during the scan which is a bummer but you get the idea. Her sword strap connects to a clip on her back under her cape, then the sheath lays over her cape on her back just to clarify. Crit and com welcome. Enjoy.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, very clean. There's something about your technique that makes the image look carved in stone like a medieval effigy. Which is cool and different.

Gilead Artist on Facebook and Twitter
    website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Good: The character concept is definately cool. Also, the rendering of the drawing is very well done. I think all the minute details is pretty amazing.

The Not-So-Good:
    The characters pose is very striaght-up-and-down. Even the arms are congruent to the body, as well as the legs. The face, even though covered by a mask, looks boring. I don't get any emotion out of this picture. I look at, think "This feels stiff and looks neat-O" and move on with life. I'm not sure if it's the actual drawing or just the rotation of the image, but it looks kind of tilted to the right... The hands look kind of small too, and the eyes are different sizes.

Overall:
    This is a great attempt. The rendering, concept, design, and details are superlative. But I think more time should be spent on pose, expression, and mood; and less time on shading. You got a good thing going on here: Hot warrior babe assassin who is... inlove?... with some dude but she has to hide behind this mask. Great oppurtunity to play upon that conflicting duty and personal emotion. Good job!

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The "Breast Tabs" look goofy. What purpose are they supposed to serve?

Also, the torso anatomy/costume design is wonky as hell. Either her belt is directly above her pubis, a la Brittney Spears, or she is not human. There also should be some indication of hips, as she is too "straight up and down" in shape, except for the ubiquitous melon breasts that all concept art chicks are required to have, Breast Tabs or no...

The doofy daisy on her helmet should be replaced with something better resembling the flower in her hand.

The sword should be a straight line from top to bottom. You have the lower hilt offset a full blade's width from the handle showing above the shoulder.

Her right eye is very noticibly smaller than her left, she has NO ears (there should be at least some noticible bulge on the sides of her head, and her lower jaw/chin is non-existant.

Nice work on the fabric folds and shading, but the lack of detail to anatomy really detracts from the overall appreciation of this piece.

Yet another example of why people should make compositional roughs and thumbnail sketches before investing so much time into flawed works...

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the lenght of the torso, maybe its more of an illusion do to her clothing, but it reminds me of the elongated bodies of manga characters.

i think you should continue on drawing this character, maybe just focusing on a stronger composition, and some small adjustments previously noted in the above posts.

Is her name lilly?

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪ ₪₪₪₪
    "By the breaking of my thumbs something wicked this way comes."
    ₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪ ₪₪₪₪
    Download Nebezials Digital Painting Tutorial in PDF from my site. Located in the downloads section.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gilead-Thanks, I wish you could see the origonal as it looks more carved.
    ParkerD-Thanks for the good/bad comments as I need a little praise and lots of dirrection, the face in the origonal had subtle emotion (like mona lisa, though Im not comparing this to ML) it was lost. And yes I must fix eyes.
    madster-Thanks for being honest and not holding back, I see the problems and hope to never do it again Breast tabs add support so the dont bounce all over duing fighting. The picture is crooked, and her hips are too small, though some women dont have hips and I usaully do woman with hips as some people say her hips are too big. And lastly your last point about composition your right again, this was a concept from the begining and winged the whole thing no planning what so ever, the next time I draw her it will be planned though
    jabberwookie-thanks and no her name isnt lilly....its flower, does that sound dorky?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.