Thread: The Island!

Thanks

The Island!

I saw it yesterday, and really liked it... I haven't totally decyphered/analyzed every bit and piece, though. Who knows if it'll be good after watching it a second time. The visuals in this movie were incredible; it seemed like almost every shot had some sort of intense dramatic lighting.

The story was kind of typical, but it had a few twists. Basically, the new American dream is to live forever. So, a scientist develops a way to clone people exactly how they are at the time of the body scan. No having to wait to grow up, or anything. Basically they keep the clones kept away from society and kill them when their organs are needed. The people who run the clone society invent a tricky lottery game for the clones. The winner(s) of the lottery are sent to "The Island", which is supposed to be the last pathogen-free paradise on Earth. But, instead of sending them to this place, they kill them and take their organs for the original people.

The trailer definitely doesn't do it justice... In fact, it was kind of odd how I came upon watching it. I had never seen the trailer before I watched it, so I was psyched to see it by one of the posters standing in the movie theatre.

Eh, I rambled for far too long... Sorry.
    Tell me what you guys thought of the movie, or if you haven't seen it, tell us what doesn't look appealing.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I saw it yesterday as well and liked it alot up until the action started which was completely over the top even for a Michael Bay movie! I mean some of the action sequences where so far fetched and unrealistic that people at my theater where laughing hysterically. I was one of the many people who walked out right before it ended because it was so ridiculous. I was looking for an over the top movie with a sub-standard plot which is typical of Michael bay but of course still enjoyable and I did not get that from this movie. My 2 cents.
    -Call me Semaj for short.

Thanks
    Can you describe the parts you thought were over the top? I never noticed...

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    It sounds a lot like some remake of a really cheesy sci-fi flick called the Clonus Wars, or something like that I saw on MST3K years ago...
    ~M
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    I probably liked it so much because I missed all the original clone movies.

Thanks
    The entire chase scene in the major city...especially the part where he flies a jet cycle through a building and they end up dangling from the buildings logo ...it dettaches falls oooh I'd say 60 stories at least and they live through it????????????????

Like I said the story was actually really good until the action started.
    -Call me Semaj for short.

Thanks
    Out of all the great choices in theatre releases this summer, for some reason I went and saw 'The Island' last friday.... and it wasn't half-bad

Honestly it was an outstanding triumph for Micheal Bay ------ especially the first hour, where everything was mysteriouse and you were getting to learn about an awesome new universe.

The editing got way to 'music video' for my tastes.... I don't need the camera to zoom in'and'out in'and'out on the chopper pilot.... I know it's hard for him to aim in a moving vehicle ----- and i really hope this fast-to-slow motion editing stops soon.... I haven't found anything it's added to the pacing of a film...
    That and the cheesy slow-mo accounted for about 30% of the movie's length... for real, yo.

But in the end, it felt good to see *new* sci-fi .... not some adaptation of a novel, some remake of a classic, or some sequel in a huge franchise ------ not to say that it wasn't full with cliche's - but it was an extremely interesting universe they created.

The action was WAY over the top - but, extremely well done......... and hell, what are you expecting if not action from a summer-blockbuster?

*spoilers*
    heh, you just can't beat the fact that the clone of the main character was an industrial/conceptual designer for transportation ---- those were actually Sid Mead's sketches!!
    *end spoilers*

Thanks
    Scarlett Johansson

but other then that obvious reason to enjoy the movie... I thought it was decent. Alot of the action was definetly over the top and at times almost painful to watch. I also didnt really like the use of alot of current symbols and brands, it kind of lessened the feeling of it being in the future.

Overall it was quality entertainment

Thanks
    sammy; haha i knew i had seen that style of sketching done before somewhere! haha, gotta love syd mead's work.