Thanks

What does everyone draw on (work suface)???

Hello all,
    I am trying to figure out what work surface to go get myself to draw on and also act as furniture for a "studio". Currently I sketch on my sketch book all over, but when I sit down, I have been working on a bistro table, or a patio table, either working on the flat surface or using my light box which has a slightly angled surface (which I like).

So, what does everyone else draw on? And where did you get it?

Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I usually draw in my sketchbook when i'm traveling. At home in the studio I prefer 11 x 14 tracing paper. I like the slightly smooth texture, the size and it's relatively cheap so that I can go through more of it, faster, and not feel bad about it. It's also nice because I can flip it over to see the reverse of things and see where proplems are in my drawings.

I work on a regular, everday folding studio table. It's white. They can be bought everywhere. And for whatever reason I tend to set it up on it's highest level on a slight angle. I like working so that my feet cant touch the floor. I don't know why.

The one thing that I would like to buy is one of those neutral sun lamps. I have a regular 60 watt lamp right now and a lot my paintings tend to look less warm when I take them away from my desk.

Thanks
    I had a piece of pressboard cut to a nice size. Really cheap, and you can rest it on your legs & put it up against a table to work at an angle. I should have bought it in two sizes, and the large size twice, thinner board for the smaller size.
    Animator Richard Williams suggested a round plexiglas plate with curved cut at one end to rest on your knees. Sounds great but i wouldn't know where to get it. Eventually i want to get a lightbox as well. I think it's always best to work at an angle. But whatever suits you.

Thanks
    Table of course. I have 2 drawing tables at home.

Portable ones would be a clipboard which I slot in xerox paper or other paper of choice. So I can pull out the crap and keep the good ones.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    sketchbook when away from home...and a surgical table. no, honestly. i got
    it from my retired surgeon grandfather. who is also watercolourist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Doom
    "You can do whatever you want son, I couldn't possibly be anymore ashamed of you than I already am."

That what my father told my when I was ten and I told him I wanted to be an artist when I grew up.

Thanks
    a table that gives me fucking headaches and a stiff neck...I should get a drafting table, but I'm saving for a nuke. So it will have to wait a bit.

Thanks
    I recently got a nice, decent sized computer desk. It was quite expensive but its sturdy, hard-wearing and waaay better that the paisting table I was using before, as you can imagine. It has a decent sized keyboard draw which is what I usually use to draw on. It also means that when Im not drawing, i can simply push it away and keep my stuff on it for later use (im lasy like that).
    We'll ride the spiral to the end, we may just go where no one's been

Thanks
    I was just galavanting around and I found jack shit. I went to OfficeMax, Staples, Walmart and Lowes. Dick Blick has some and Ebay has some like I'd like, but I'd rather see them in person.

John o. - See this link for light box plans. Look under the gear section. Mine cost like $25 or so to make. http://www.scottmcdaniel.net/

What I would like is a high desk (Jason, I like my feet off the floor too, hence the tall bistro table) with flat surface that I can leave flat or adjust at an angle. I'd like a plexiglass surface so that I could mount a light below it and have it double as a lightbox. I'd also like some drawers to stick the pencils, pens, erasers, straight-edges..blah blah blah. And also a draw for paper. Anyone seen that around? pffftt...
    Last edited by MarkHarchar; July 24th, 2005 at 04:37 PM.
    Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by john o.
    Animator Richard Williams suggested a round plexiglas plate with curved cut at one end to rest on your knees. Sounds great but i wouldn't know where to get it. Eventually i want to get a lightbox as well. I think it's always best to work at an angle. But whatever suits you.
    I think you can get plexiglass at hardware stores and places like Home Depot. If you give them dimensions and pay extra, they might cut it to the right shape for you.

I usually draw with my sketchbook on my knees.
    Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    i draw on my washboard abs, obviously

Thanks
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    i like to draw fully submerged in water on the underside of the surface.

Thanks
    I too draw on noshadowmaster's ballsack. However, when not using that I use an 18"x24" wood drawing tablet with a balsa wood core. It's very light and easy to drag around my house. I have a drawing table, but I never use it because I feel to pressured to create something when I sit down at it. I can drag my board around and pick it up anytime I feel the earge to draw.

Thanks
    drafting table, one of the auto companies was getting rid of some of the old tables to make way for a new computer lab so I got one for like $15 from the guy who lives next door to me.
    Think you got mad photoshop skills? It could win you a car @ www.hhrya.com

Thanks
    sketchbook when unable to use my wacom/laptop combo. But usually my wacom.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    180 dollar drawing table i bought, never had one before, have had this for about a year, and its pretty pimpin. Draw at the comp desk, from refrences from the comp. In my sketchbook, on my lap for life drawings. And uhhh, wherever else i feel like drawing, those are the main things though.