Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks

christmas spirit. dec 23

just wanted to share some stuff i've been working on. got out of school spring 05 from sjsu. crits and comments welcomed.
    christmas spirit. dec 23 [IMG][IMG]
    christmas spirit. dec 23 christmas spirit. dec 23 christmas spirit. dec 23 christmas spirit. dec 23

Last edited by chris ocampo; December 23rd, 2006 at 03:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

The Bone Zone

Nice Works <><> last figure study is very interesting <><> very west coast <><> I think I see some familiar influences <><> who did you have as instructors at sjsu

Thanks
    thanks mentler.
    my figure drawing (for animation) instructor was sheldon borenstein. he's been studying with glenn vilppu for a long long time, so that might be the "west coast" style you're pickin up on. and i've had figurative workshops with vilppu, ryan woodward. other instructors at sjsu are john clapp and the the legendary barron storey. all 3 studied with harry carmean at art center at one point. but i also have a lot of figurative influences from loomis, bridgeman, frank reilly. i also studied visual development and industrial design with robert mackenzie and jeff sangalli. barry wingate's another industrial design instructor. i studied storyboarding with jeff biancalana. sculpture with konrad dunton. courtney granner and alice "bunny" carter are the head of the illustration/animation department. "bunny" carter is the author of 'art of national geographic', 'the red rose girls', 'thomas eakins," and is a huge illustration and art historian. i've learned a lot from all of them, but barron storey is by far the most influential artist.

Last edited by chris ocampo; September 6th, 2005 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks
    here's more figurative work in different media.
    christmas spirit. dec 23

Last edited by chris ocampo; September 22nd, 2005 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks
    I really like your computer paintings. Some of them could possibly be worked a little more, but that's only my opinion. I enjoy the loose brushwork on them all. Your work is slightly similar to Justin Sweet's work. I'm not sure if you familiar with him, but he usually paints stoic-gladiator type men fighting. He's one of my all time favorites. Oh yeah, what school is sjsu?

Thanks
    spraynation: thanks for your comments. i know i could work them to a more finished look, but i'm just interested in quick explorations for right now. i only recently got into these warrior imagery, as a relief from narratives. i love illustrating narratives---but all the designs are strictly to serve the story and are problem solving oriented. and it didn't leave a lot of space for 'just for fun' image making and designs, which these are.
    i am familiar with justin sweet, and i am flattered to be mentioned with his name. i'm a big fan of his work.
    SJSU stands for San Jose State University in Cali.

Last edited by chris ocampo; July 25th, 2005 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks
    just a quick sketch of a cable car
    christmas spirit. dec 23

Last edited by chris ocampo; September 22nd, 2005 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks
    That DMV sketch is hot. I try to sketch a lot when I'm out in public places, so I know how difficult it can be. But you really nailed it there...great poses, pretty clean linework, solid construction.

One thing that's bugging me about the very first drawing in this thread (armored warrior dude), is the width of his torso...even with the armor, it just looks way too wide..especially noticeable at the shoulders. The net result makes his head look too small. It might just be my perception of the image though...that's just what it feels like to me.

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Great figures. I love the battle scene.

Thanks
    persmerga: hey thanks for the encouragement.

fukifino: i love sketching out of the house/office. it's incredibly important. it builds confidence, speed, and broadens your visual library. observation is so important for artists. i'm very aware of people who draw/paint the same thing over and over out of their head, and i don't want to be in that routine. the only solution to that trap is drawing from life and always be observing new things to add to your visual memory. i appreciate that you recognize the importance of drawing in public. and it's a great way to meet girls.
    about the armor...i changed the scale of it a bit and editted my post. hopefully it looks more correct. let me know if you think i should change it more. thanks for your comments.

here's an incomplete study of NC Wyeth's illustration (Harper's Magazine 1911) that i did today. i'll finish the guy on the right later.
    christmas spirit. dec 23

Last edited by chris ocampo; September 22nd, 2005 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks
    head study
    christmas spirit. dec 23

Last edited by chris ocampo; September 22nd, 2005 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks
    figure drawings in prismacolor pencil

christmas spirit. dec 23 christmas spirit. dec 23

Last edited by chris ocampo; October 5th, 2005 at 07:16 AM.

Thanks

siggraph 05 drawing session

i went to siggraph in LA this week and participated in Karl Gnass's workshop which he held at sony imageworks booth. we chatted for a bit and he was very cool. and he's an amazing instructor and powerful draftsman. he ran multiple 1 1/2 hour session workshops, and we drew on our free imageworks t-shirts at the end of them. i ran into iain mccaig as he was checkin it out.
    i also saw ryan church and feng zhu do some demos at gnomon's booth, which was a pretty dope and informative. saw some amazing matte painters there too. met a lot of top notch artists. definitely going there next year.

here's some stuff i did at the session.
    christmas spirit. dec 23 christmas spirit. dec 23

Last edited by chris ocampo; September 22nd, 2005 at 07:07 PM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1