A Public Service Reminder to Back Up your Data!!! RECOVERED!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A Public Service Reminder to Back Up your Data!!! RECOVERED!

Well, folks!
    Production flow has slowed down considerably, since not one, but two PCs decided to go tits up within the space of 24 hours...What made this all the more enjoyable is that the second PC was being used to try to salvage data off of the first PC...

The only thing that keeps this from being a catastrophy of the 1st Magnatude is that an entire backup of the system was done last December...That means only the last 7 months of stuff was lost...Big yippee...And the fact that there are still 4 other PC's on the network to work with.

If you have a separate hard drive on your system, do yourself a favor, and back up My Documents at least once a month. You may still lose quite a bit (and OH, did we ever!!!), but at least it will only be one month's worth of writings, art, articles, e-mails, etc....

Burn My Documents onto DVD's once in awhile, and if you have the capability to "ghost" your OS, do it. That (and the fact that both machines had two hard drives) are the only things that got both systems back up and running, although there are now two hard drives sitting on the table, with various plans on how to attempt to try to access the data on them...

Back-up, back-up, back-up!
    We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.

~M

Last edited by madster; July 23rd, 2005 at 05:44 PM.
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb

Yeah, definitely! Backups are life-savers ... although nobody ever seems to do it until "the unexpected" happens to them.

They say "Oh, I don't backup, nothing will go wrong with my computer!"...

I was the same once!

Then my laptop hard drive decided to break completely and format itself when I rebooted - containing the only copy of my university presentation due to be given the next day, and a few other unique documents.

So I got myself an external USB hard drive for backing stuff up, making sure I had two copies of every important file in future.

That was fine for about a year (and also handy for transferring large files between Laptop and Desktop computer without a network), then the external drive started to get bad sectors... argh. I lost about half my MP3 collection, but since it was mostly ripped from CD anyway, I was able to replenish it.

Then my desktop computer's hard drive completely died. Wouldn't even boot up... I had to buy a new one. FORTUNATELY! I had all my backups on the external drive, and got pretty much everything back (including some vital work 3d/texture files)! Excellent!

Not a week later than that, my external drive stopped working completely. Hahaha. Great.

I can't really afford to buy another external drive, and that one's warranty has run out... so at the moment I'm just doubling up important files on my laptop and desktop hard drives - so if one fails I should at least have the other.

But yes, anyway, backup backup backup!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish I had money to backup. I can't even afford cds right now.

So I just send myself emails of important files.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by madster
    Well, folks!
    Production flow has slowed down considerably, since not one, but two PCs decided to go tits up within the space of 24 hours...What made this all the more enjoyable is that the second PC was being used to try to salvage data off of the first PC...

The only thing that keeps this from being a catastrophy of the 1st Magnatude is that an entire backup of the system was done last December...That means only the last 7 months of stuff was lost...Big yippee...And the fact that there are still 4 other PC's on the network to work with.

If you have a separate hard drive on your system, do yourself a favor, and back up My Documents at least once a month. You may still lose quite a bit (and OH, did we ever!!!), but at least it will only be one month's worth of writings, art, articles, e-mails, etc....

Burn My Documents onto DVD's once in awhile, and if you have the capability to "ghost" your OS, do it. That (and the fact that both machines had two hard drives) are the only things that got both systems back up and running, although there are now two hard drives sitting on the table, with various plans on how to attempt to try to access the data on them...

Back-up, back-up, back-up!
    We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.

~M
    Have you thought about calling a firm that specializes in retrieving data from hard drives.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankfully, the data lost is more inconvenient/sad to lose, rather than vitally, economically, critical. The loss of some .jpegs, a few important e-mails, and some music.
    Basically, the one PC lost its recognition of FAT32, and the other PC accidentally got reformatted during a repair procedure (I didn't do that one, but still feel bad about it...), so it's toast, and has been reloaded with the ghost image.
    The hard drive for the other ticks out as being "blank," for all intents and purposes, but there is hope that the data is still there. The data recovery joints want $75 just to look at it, and up to $300 to recover anything they may or may not find...So, it's pretty much a "home project" at this time...we will see. If it's lost, it's lost. Life will go on. It's just SUCH a major pain to reload all the apps, like Acrobat, Illy, PS, Painter, Blah, blah, BLARGH...

I lost my main system to a virus about 2 months ago, and just got it back to smooth sailing when these 2 went down, so it's not as traumatic as the first time...I was just planning for major backups this weekend about 6 hours before everything hit the fan...oh, well.

I send myself e-mailed stuff too, but when you lose the e-mail, that backup system really shows its limitations...lol!

~M

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guh, had my Raid 0 array nuke itself on my at 11pm about a month ago whilst transfering files for work onto my PC right in the middle of a huge project.. come to think about it my right eyelid started twitching around then and hasn't stopped since. Currently it looks as though one of the drives has failed, and if anyone here is familiar with Raid 0, that means both drives are useless. Note to self: performance Raid is useless!

I'm in the same boat as you madster in terms of recovery options. Basically I'd need to have the drive cylinders replanted in a clean-room environment, and the array rebuilt. That particular endevour starts at 1200 bucks.

So yeah, back-up kids. Be it with DVDs, external drives, mirroring Raid arrays, or network drives, just do it.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Recovery Console is my New Bestest Friend!

Oh, THANK GOD for a good Windows XP book and the Recovery Console (with the OS installation disk)!!!!

The data WAS still there. It wasn't the FAT32 recognition that was lost (Lived with WIN98 too long), it was the NTFS that needed to be sucker-punched.
    Checkdisk through the Recovery Console with a "/p" (check the disk regardless of whether of not it's dirty) and then a "/r" (repair), and then literally waiting over 1 1/2 hours with no real "visible" action paid off. Suddenly, within the next 10 minutes, it completed, and then a DIR check showed everything back where it was, where it should be...

You don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...
    Boy, do you REALLY appreciate it if you are lucky enough to get it back...

Needless to say, INSTANT backup of my E-mails, My Documents, and My Downloads WAS performed onto the other hard disk.

Another option for back-up I forgot, was onto a mem-stick, if you can't afford a 2nd Hard drive...

Talk about doing the "Happy Dance" around the room!!!

Life is Good (at least for me, today, right now...)!

Helium, I am SO sorry that your RAID died in that particular manner. I think that was why Networking classes always stressed no less than RAID 3 or RAID 5s...You might try massaging the tic with a warm spoon...

my sympathies and condolences...

~M

I am The Choosen One!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.