Thread: Guidance needed

Thanks

Guidance needed

Hello,

My name is zach, and I have been interested in drawing since I was in my childhood. I grew up with games, and have always enjoyed playing them. In my highschool years I took as many classes as I could in arts and the 3D animation fields. Now, im 17 and I will graduate in a few months, leaving me at a crossroad.

Heres my problem: I really want to go into the "concept artist" type areas, but whenever I draw or sketch, I find myself ending up frustrated with what I drew - I never quite get what im going for. My secondary choice is the "3D arts", except I took the class, and I quite often feel confused when I attempt to understand many 3D art programs, and like with my art, I wind up frustrated because I never really achieve what I see in my mind.

I guess I need some guidance on where I should begin my career/art abilities, or if this is such a good choice for me? Should I keep trying at it? I think what im most afraid of is taking the college courses, getting the degrees, spending the time and money, then I get into the real jobs with companies, and realizing this isnt for me. Could anyone give me a few pointers on my problem?

Thanks
    -Zachx

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    No one here is going to be able to tell you what to do, or what your problem is. Personally it doesn't sound like you have any problems at all. If you are truly interested in art, then learn everything you can. Buy some books, study and understand the basic foundations in drawing, color, and composition / design. Take classes and most of all keep practicing.

Once you establish a strong foundation then you can really go anywhere or do anything you want with it. Concept art is only one field to get into.

Just do what your innervoice is telling you to do. And don't listen to anyone who tells you not to do it. Be patient with yourself and don't get frustrated.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    If you want to get better at the 2D spectrum of your delema, this is the place to do so.
    "As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Thanks
    I would suggest starting with your first job out of high school. Call around to studios and ask them what they would like to see in a portfolio for an entry level job.

Put some time into making that portfolio and spam it everywhere and hopefully you'll get a job in the creative industry, which is FAR more satisfying than just taking a job at McDonalds.

a concept artist is an artist who is well-versed ina lot of areas. He was to know stuff about design, mood, anatomy, etc. In other words, it's a longterm goal and you have other places to see before you get there.

It's not about planning each step. It's about taking that first step, and then seeing where the next step is.
    [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Im sorry have to say it ...

Good post there otherside, really enjoyed that

okay no more kissing ass ...
    "As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Thanks

Red face

before u see what u have in mind u HAVE to KNOW the tools *knowledge about drawing and 3d programm knowledge.. + + +* to know how to express and translate what u have in mind

u dont really understand what 3D space is and how to translate the image u see *3D* onto paper(drawing) which is 2D but it should look 3D...i cann it -> illusion of drawing <- i think i know ur frustration because noone could tell me what i need to learn in order to learn how to draw
    but i started thinkking on my own about the difference and about what drawing really is and how it works i already found some guys i can help with that knowledge and what i realiced it that its more kinda science then a normal drawing technique .. maybe because its teaches u the difference bedween seeing and drawing with the interpretation of the image in ur mind

i still cant express what i see in my mind because i am not able to do it yet
    but i learn for this evry single day .. drawing more then 6hours
    ..frustration dun really helps but patience does

iam no pro yet .. still learning.. but i dont doubt .. and my experience tell me iam improving evry single day because of the tons of studies i do in order to UNDERSTAND what drawing*3D*2D*foreshortening*vanishingpoints*and otehr drawing related things are about .. this is what i can tell yu and help you with.. to help yourself to understand how the images in ur mind are setup and how to put them into ur 3Dprog*2Dpaper sheet..(btw i do 3D modeling too.. -> softimage xsi )

its just like.. before u can run u need to know how to use ur legs and how to walk.. before u can play the piano like a badass u need to understand how music works and how to use ur fingers

in the drawing case... u need the "understanding" about drawing ..
    iam lookinf for it myself.. so i can tell u some stuff i already discovered
    u just need time and patience

pm me if u like or getme at msn

Thanks
    Thank you for the replies.

I've decided to start taking my drawings more seriously now after seeing the responses and surfing the site/forums. Maybe ill do a progressive journal of sketches like you have in your signature bob. Now I need to figure out where to start: structure, atonmity, expressions, anything else i forgot. One things for sure, i went back today and looked at some of my previous work, I have alot of hardwork ahead of me.