Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

This is why I hate DeviantArt

Don't get me wrong, DeviantArt has some amazing people on there, who really work their ass off. But this is crappy-2second-emotes at it's most horrid.
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/20833625/
    That was one of todays favorites. This is pathetic.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Asoir, didn't you know that when they did the pre-vis for Ben-Hur it was done entirely with emotes?!

Thanks
    I was looking around for the art for a while then I realized it was a smiley.

Thanks
    Aw, c'mon. It was for her cyber-husband. Thats cute.

Thanks
    Glikster - I haven't seen that, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Undefeated

Thanks
    Why should we be bashing another art site here? DA has its pro and cons, it's not the same as CA. I don't see the point trashing it.
    If the majority there think that's good, then by all means, let them worship it. I've seen things way worse than emote icon on the top fav list.

And if you dislike it that much, by all means, leave. You don't have to stay there if you don't like it.

Thanks
    Glikster - I haven't seen that, lol

SexualSideFX - Haha, I know, it's terrible.

LOL, that's actually pretty funny.
    Unless you were serious that this should be a todays favorite?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by look
    Why should we be bashing another art site here? DA has its pro and cons, it's not the same as CA. I don't see the point trashing it.
    If the majority there think that's good, then by all means, let them worship it. I've seen things way worse than emote icon on the top fav list.

And if you dislike it that much, by all means, leave. You don't have to stay there if you don't like it.
    I'm just showing how some people don't realize how much work goes into some art and are more interested in stuff like this.
    I don't really want to leave, it's a good place when you find decent artists, it's just people like this who are killing the website.
    This thread is quite pointless, but it's actually pretty funny reading some peoples reactions to this 'adorable', 'amazing' and 'fantastic' peice of art.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Asoir
    I'm just showing how some people don't realize how much work goes into some art and are more interested in stuff like this.
    I don't really want to leave, it's a good place when you find decent artists, it's just people like this who are killing the website.
    This thread is quite pointless, but it's actually pretty funny reading some peoples reactions to this 'adorable', 'amazing' and 'fantastic' peice of art.
    I agree, this thread is pointless. Art is what we make of it, it's not dictated by our opinions of it.
    Ninjai!
    http://www.opticstudios.com

Thanks
    DA is more for young artists and anime/trendy art.

Comparing DA to CA is like comparing highschool to college.. they are completely different.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    No, I don't personally see why its a favorite, but its a different community, as someone else stated. I didn't look at her page, but she probably has a big following - which would probably explain all the favorites.

Ninjai - By a certain perspective, EVERY thread is pointless, no? Its just a matter of whether or not the thread in question appeals to a specific person. "Art is what me make of it, it's not dictated by our opinions of it" - true, and all well and good. But on an art community forum where we seek the artistic advice of other artists, I can't see why its pointless to discuss our opinions about art. j00know?

Thanks
    No, I don't personally see why its a favorite, but its a different community, as someone else stated. I didn't look at her page, but she probably has a big following - which would probably explain all the favorites.

Ninjai - By a certain perspective, EVERY thread is pointless, no? Its just a matter of whether or not the thread in question appeals to a specific person. "Art is what me make of it, it's not dictated by our opinions of it" - true, and all well and good. But on an art community forum where we seek the artistic advice of other artists, I can't see why its pointless to discuss our opinions about art. j00know?
    You took the words right out of my mouth, how could you critique to ANY art if this is correct?

Cmon, some of those comments are pretty funny.

Thanks
    i post some of m stuff there. more chance for people to see my art. i dont get a ton of views or favorites but still some people see my work. it does kinda make me mad when i see daily picks that arnt that good.

Thanks
    Hahaha, that just made me laugh. She made an emoticon and says she put it up "for critiques". Oh man, I love when people take things to seriously .

Thanks
    I have and enjoy my DeviantArt account. It's a different crowd there than it is here. It's also a convienent place to store my stuff (and, hopefully one day sell)

You have to understand that DeviantArt is for all sorts of different things. Smilies, resources, traditional art, they are more openbased. As long as you made it yourself, there's usually a place for it. I agree that DA has some faults, but so does CA and any other art site. Nobody's perfect.

What I don't understand is how you guys can bash on DeviantArt and other people's creations. It might not be the same sort of art that you're into, but that doesn't mean that people didn't put some time and effort into their work. It's not fair for you to bash on an emoticon just because it's an emoticon and not a masterpeice.
    "Life isn't how many breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfykins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfykins
    What I don't understand is how you guys can bash on DeviantArt and other people's creations. It might not be the same sort of art that you're into, but that doesn't mean that people didn't put some time and effort into their work. It's not fair for you to bash on an emoticon just because it's an emoticon and not a masterpeice.
    agreed. Don't blame the artist for being worshiped, a lot of them didn't ask for it. It's the crowd who pushed them up.

Beside, if you really think emoticon is a 2 minute work, you are more than welcome to try and make some of your own, and have them worshipped to top fav list.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to look For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't see why people wouldn't wanna favourite it. It looks fun.

I mean, what are you on about, this stuff became today's favourites and you start to worry about the falling standards of art appreciation. It's not your art getting dumped for this thing, so get over it.

You should be keeping an eye on the Daily Deviations instead if you want assurance that people appreciate art that are better than this emote.

Thanks
    Its the fact that people described the ANIMATED SMILEY FACE as both "fantastic" and "amazing".

I dont think most people here are suggesting the work be shot down or insulted. Because, well, for what it is, its good. its cute, and humorous. But no matter how you look at it, it is not "amazing", or "fabuloso", or "awesome" (all directly quoted from the first few comments.)

You also have to understand that people want other people to view their page, so they spam other pages with "omg, thats so awesome" or "aw, how cute" or "keep up the amazing work" without ever saying anything. its like a circle jerk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JokingClown
    Its the fact that people described the ANIMATED SMILEY FACE as both "fantastic" and "amazing".
    *pet pet*
    You'll see that everywhere on DA, even a stick figure, or a blank canvas with a few lines.

Hey, we have artists in real life get praised of being "master" when they splash paint while drunk.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by look
    *pet pet*
    You'll see that everywhere on DA, even a stick figure, or a blank canvas with a few lines.

Hey, we have artists in real life get praised of being "master" when they splash paint while drunk.
    Whom I hate, I also hate most modern artists like Tracy Emin. (http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/arthis...nMyBed01.shtml)

but that doesn't mean that people didn't put some time and effort into their work.
    Unless this person drew each pixel with the pen tool or something, this would not have tooken long. I've seen some emoticons which really did look as if the person bothered to improve it, but this looks as if it should be first finished before posted.

All i'm saying is that the communities reaction is over the top and is basically laughable. I don't want to debate.

Thanks
    I've never really looked much into Deviant Art so I can't really comment on the community. But, I don't think the poster intended it to be compared to or looked @ as 'art'. It was only ment to be looked at as what it is: an emote she made and wanted to share.

This is why I hate DeviantArt

is it really that bad? its quite a nice emote if you ask me.
    We'll ride the spiral to the end, we may just go where no one's been

Thanks
    This is why I hate conceptart

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48518

Like lightkirtar said. Don't take things too seriously.

Thanks
    I think the emote's creative. I can think of plenty of situations I would use that one in.

...like now.
    "Life isn't how many breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Groover McNab
    This is why I hate conceptart

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48518

Like lightkirtar said. Don't take things too seriously.

Ok, the first post, too serious, I admit, but everyone just made it a debate and it's turning more serious. As I said, the comments made me laugh.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Words like "hate" tend to make threads much more serious that words like "Funny..." Things that I Laugh at about Deviant Art with the link would have probably had an entirely different take.

If you found the comments so "funny," then why did you have to start a thread over here with the word "hate," then causing members to have to make the distinction of "is this stupid little smiley really worth hating?"

And then you make a fuss because your poor choice of words ends up creating a discussion on the various merits of (in no particular order) DA, emoticons, the proper critiquing form for emoticons, appropriateness of "Today's Favorite," and on and on...all the while continuing to assume some weird sort of superior air because YOU think DA's members are "over the top" for liking something and appreciating the time and effort to create and animate it, and you don't...

So, what WAS your purpose in bitching about it here, then? Total agreement with your opinion? Don't worry about what others do or don't consider "OMFG awesome!11!" and go draw something instead.

~M
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    I actually like that emote, kinda cool :p
    "As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Asoir
    Whom I hate, I also hate most modern artists like Tracy Emin. (http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/arthis...nMyBed01.shtml)
    Off topic i know, but much of tracy emin's work has real depth behind it makes you think. Her early work such as "the shop" with sarah lucus (i think). Were quite interesting. Unlike Hirst she sat in the shadows for the early britart movement while people like gary hume were a sucess. But anyway, the girl does draw, don't let one over publisiced piece of work cause you to hate another artist's work, thats her whole self expression you hate.

-B-

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    ...damn, I love the smell of people getting up on the wrong side of the bed in the morning...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    ...damn, I love the smell of people getting up on the wrong side of the bed in the morning...
    Jesus, you were right, i'm normally optimistic and happy, don't know what I was thinking yesterday :/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast