Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Onir's sketchbook (ended)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Onir's sketchbook (ended)

More recent work on last page!

Hey, I've been lurking (sadly) these forums for a little while, always intending to post a little of my work for critiques and such, but never actually getting around to it. However, I got into a mood where I'm drawing alot lately and I decided I should throw my hat into this sketchbook area since it seems that all the advice given here helps immensely. Plus, I wanted to finally break this lurking habit of mine. Anyway here are some of my sketches I did recently; the first is done in pen then I was able to find a pencil so the rest are mostly pencil.

I started just drawing pictures of people from any picture I had near me so the following ones are from a travel brochure and a cd album cover, respectively.

I decided I should start really looking into anatomy more deeply so these next to are just anatomy practice.

Well, that's it hope I didn't flood too many images into my post. Anyway, I'll post more images as I do them, and I'm sure I'll be becoming more active on these forums. Any and all critiques are welcome, so please let me know what you think.

Until next time,
    /salute

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Onir; June 11th, 2008 at 11:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to the sketchbooks! a good start for yours. drawing from photo ref is good. drawing from life is also good. try to not neglect one or the other...they are both valuable.

keep posting!
    -dan

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up the praticing! Its looking like your getting off to a good start. I really like the guy in your 3rd picture down with the fro. Good times I must say

Post Post Post!

"As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for your kind words. I'm still in the process of producing some more sketches, but for now here is a self-portrait attempt I did. Didn't finish it because I realized that I made my face too long and it kinda started looking a little too wierd to me hehe. Anyway here ya go.

Be back soon with more stuff.
    /salute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, just figured I'd drop in and post two more things I just did not long ago. I'll have more sooner than later, but for now here ya go:

just some anatomy sketches

and a portrait I did (from a photo reference). sadly, alot of the lighter shading didn't show up too well from the scan.

Anyway more to come,
    /salute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man, I started this thread roughly a month ago and after a few posts I just kinda stopped updating after looking at so many other sketchbooks, though, I got inspired. So I plan to try, once again, to actually make this sketchbook a consistant thing. so the following are sketches I did but never posted.. hopefully I'll keep up with it this time.

Oh and these are all increasingly recent as they approach the bottom of this post (hope that made some sense lol)

this next one is of a friend of mine; kinda drew him with a wierd look on his face and a little too feminine looking lol

ok well I'ma try not to let this vanish again lol, so expect more to come!

/salute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's another one; all done from photo references

more to come

/salute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    he-he quite good pieces. I think you have good enought proportions filling but have troubles with hatching
    keep drawing!

Scretchbook 2, 1.
    my gallery
    Pencil - FOREWER!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your words Kharma! and yeaa I really do need to work on hatching lol always loved the way hatching looks and I've been trying to get better at it; ahh well though I'm sure (well I hope) that it'll come with time. anyway here's another sketch I did.. I'd put up more but I'm a little too tired to do any more at the moment. ok well here it is:

a sketch of my foot and some other little things

I will return with more!

/salute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey again, thanks for the encouragement bumskee must say that trying to have things to update with is making me want to sketch more in a way lol. anyway I have another 2 sketches, so here they are; any and all comments are welcome.

this first one was supposed to be sketches of some of my friends; was nice of them to model (though they didn't really know until afterwards); however where we were wasn't really that bright and they weren't staying still very well lol. luckily, I was able to get some things of them done.

and this next one is just some figure drawing

'til next time,

/salute

--No idea how this post got posted above bumskee's since I posted this around a day afterwards lol; ahh well just figured I'd say something since it seems a bit wierd that I'd thank someone before they said something lol

Last edited by Onir; August 27th, 2005 at 01:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hye Onir, good going with the sketchbook, make sure you keep updating.. hope to see more dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's another 2 sketch pages; both are arm studies and all were drawn from reference

more to come

/salute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm back with 4 new things:

these first 3 are all studies, 2 arms/torso and 1 of eyes

and this last one is one I did messing around in painter; originally was just a green fro with an orange faceless head, but I figured I'd try to add a face. I think it came out.. interesting lol

Ok I'll be back with more.. any and all comments are welcome

/salute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Onir, good studies, careful with those lines they are a bit messy, visualise the lines, lightly sketch them in and then when things are all in place go set them down. I think drawing is much like painting too, draw big and work towards your details.. construction lines do help so try and set them out in the beginning just to help you get started.. good going dude, love the eyes and the back studies..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its good to see you improving. You're doing good studies, keep them up and you'll make excellent progress.
    I agree with bumskee about your linework, but that always improves with consistent practice.
    Keep posting!

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bumskee - thanks for the compliment and the advice yea I'll definitely try what you said, I have the problem of putting lines down way to heavy to begin with so things I do always come out looking very messy hehe.

SirGreenSock - thanks man yea studies are all I seem to do nowadays lol (which is fine with me, gotta get that stuff right first!)

Whew, would have posted much sooner but I had to pack up my computer and stuff around september 1st and move up here to Boston for school. when I got here I didn't have any internet for a few days either lol.. laziness was the only other thing stopping me though. I do have 4 new things though! all studies and such, so here they are:

No idea why, but I just started doing alot of skulls recently; also I started working sideways because of desk space.

reduced this one's size a little too much

Well, since I'm now in school, I'd say expect more updates (assuming I don't get lazy or forgetful); plus I have a drawing class on tuesdays so I'll probably post stuff from there. anyway, I'll be back soon enough with some more things

/salute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good going with the skull I think it helps with drawing the head. I guess line stuff will come with practice and confidence level. so keep at it. I think your shading/value needs work, it's a bit dark and quite isn't right. I don't think it's about the technique though, more value.. you know what i mean right? A good exercise would be to render a sphere in different lighting just so you get used to values and stuff.. keep going dude

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bumskee - thanks for the advice once again and yea I do know what ya mean, and I really should be doing more spheres and more work on values

sadly I didn't have enough time to do much today so I only have these sketches; one was pretty quick (and small) and the other one I took a little longer on and I'm rather happy with the way it turned out. on both of these I tried to be smoother and use less lines before shading and such. well here they are:

well there ya go, I'll be back with more!

/salute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm liking those facial studies

Still improving, critiques welcome: My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey onir, looking good! You mentioned that you like hatching - I noticed that your hatching is closer to scribbling. When hatching, you draw a line, pick up the pencil/pen, go to the top and draw another. Do it often enough, and you can lay down lines very fast and close together. Then, go over those lines with more going a different direction. Feel free to stick out your tongue if you already knew that... You're in school now, eh? Is it an art school?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    slo-burn - thanks man, yea I need to do more at some point

Teigrob - hey thanks for the comments and the advice; yeaaa I do realize at times that I am mostly scribbling lol; I think impatience has gotten me into that habit for things, but patience is something I'm gaining quickly as time passes, so I'ma have to give actual hatching a chance now hehe. oh and no I'm not in an art school at the moment, however I am an art major (animation concentrated) student here in Boston; I'm only a freshman so I'm just getting into the swing of things as well.

Gah no art to accompany this post tonight expect one tomorrow to make up for this!

/salute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    though I wasn't able to live up to what I said in my last post, I am back with bunch more sketches this time;

the first has a few sketches of people sitting in front of me in class

this second one is just a mess of crap that was just kinda coming out on paper (lots of hatching practice on the page though, got into some mood)

yesterday I bought a book by Bridgeman on drawing from life; I'm liking it alot so far and these last 3 pics are my attempts at some of the things in his book. I think I started to improve alot more with the style as it went on and I'm liking the method it showed in the book

and there ya go, I'll be back with more.

/salute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow it's been 1 month since I last posted in this thread; gotta get back into a groove. Anyway, here are 3 recent things.

These first 2 were pretty much all from life (the skulls and random facial features not being from life ),

and this last one was from photo references.

gah, alright more to come!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm seeing a lot of improvement here (and hard work) since my last post. kudos on working so hard and taking the time to focus on so many different attributes. however at this point i caution you to work on fully rendered faces and forms. you will find that if you learn to work in a gestural stage and quickly, that the more you grow the more your sketches will be exactly what you want, leaving less and less room inbetween your sketch and the finished product....because you will have learned economy of line and form. so my advice is fill a ream full of paper full of gestures. start w/ 1in x 1in sketches and continually get larger until on the last page the figure takes the whole thing. you'll be amazed.

keep drawing
    -apollo

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,

ApolloNuevo - thanks so much for the advice, already gridded out the 1 x 1 inch squares actually and I'ma start working on them really soon.

I've been working lightly on heads and faces lately (very lightly) but I don't have any solid stuff to post up. too much art involving charcoal lately and I don't have a camera so I can't even show that anyway, gonna really try to start posting some more studies and such asap (later today if I can).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright, taking way to long to post nowadays; gonna try to get back in some sort of groove (feel like I've said that before). Luckily I got a digital camera finally so I can take pictures of some of the things I've done for class. Anyway, I actually started working on the 1 x 1 inch sketches ApolloNuevo was talking about and I'm liking the process. Did 36 and I still have a crapload left so that should be something I should be posting alot of.

No idea how these sketches actually are, but here yea any and all comments are welcome.

be back with more!

-WJK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hola, here to quickly update with 3 pieces; 1 a still life from my drawing class, and the 2 following it are homework for that drawing class hehe. Took all 3 of them with my camera since they are all charcoal, so please understand why they might not look so clear

Well enjoy, and as always comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Still life of baby dolls and other random objects

Pepper still lifes

gonna keep this up!

-WJK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Onir, nice studies mate, still life is good, we should really do more of them.. there's so much to learn from them I think. One crit is to watch your shading, it's getting very messy, for simplicity try blocking the values. love the little gesture studies, if you like any of them, don't be afraid to take it to the next level and work on them further. Also keep looking into bridgman!

I think it's time for an update BTW. keep it going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im gunna agree with bumskee when he says the shading is getting kind of messy. Specifically the hatching and cross hatching. Hatching as a method for shading can be really powerful and effective. Id suggest studying the way the big boys do it, see how they make their lines contour to the shapes they are applying it to. Marko Djurdjevic has some great examples. Peace :-D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GAAAH I'm horrible with updating. After I last posted I never checked back!! lol well I'm gonna change that now! (I'm gonna try at least)...

Thanks for the comments guys I appreciate it greatly!

bumskee - thanks man I actually just started working from bridgman once again so already following your advice there hehe; anyway I'm gonna definitely try to keep up with updating from now on.. was once updating rather frequently and I would like to bring that back

JonnyAwesome - hey man thanks alot for the advice I definitely agree with ya; I think I'ma have to do that, seems like a good plan to me

Well I know I haven't updated in forever, but in my defense classes have gotten heavy so I haven't been able to; luckily though I do have a bunch of sketches and stuff from class and also just general drawing so I can keep updating since I have alot do update with hehe. Anyway, here they are:

just 4 pages of gestures I had to do (ended up with about 15 total).. figured I'd put up the first 4 pages and keep putting them up from there; each was probably around 2 minutes

alright yep be back with more (I promise!)

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1