Sketchbook: Onir's sketchbook (ended) - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Onir's sketchbook (ended)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry I haven't replied in a while... good updates.. glad to see some anatomy studies... and great head! Keep it up.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matt Smith - thanks for the advice and yep you are absolutely right on the rushing part; really have the problem of getting a bit impatient with a drawing sometimes.. especially one I don't like. luckily, though, these pencil renderings are forcing me to take my time and be patient. gotcha on the face planes and skull studies as well, definitely something I work on.

hpslashluvr - lol I hope this isn't my signature style; not satisfied with it! as for paper and pencil, I mostly use a 2B and the paper is in my Strathmore Sketch book; says paper is acid free, medium weight, lightly textured... lol. and ya know on the sphere I have tonight I DID lift my pencil between strokes, which probably didn't help! lol thanks for the advice and comments either way though

glikster - thanks man saw your blog on the community area; sucks that they moved you and you can't used those programs again would say try to get them on your home computer if you can (unless that is your home comp, in which case I'm sorry )

alright a sphere drawing (attempted at least) and a quickly done Ingres drawing study.

amazing how much the lines show up when it's blown up a bit; also my scanner likes showing the grain alot more it seems

and the study

alright be back soon; gonna go work on this shading more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hola everyone, still workin away at this shading thing. got two things today, both tonal drawing attempts and both of crumpled up pieces of paper. didn't do any line art before shading on these so let me know what you guys think.

this attempt was going well (in my opinion at least) until I yawned and moved the piece of paper I was drawing teaches me to use small, light objects in a still life.

spent a long time on this next one over 2 days; really wanted to get used to shading evenly and lightly so I just took my time. I like the way it came out except for the proportions of it. I guess because I did it over 2 days on and off I kept changing my vantage point slightly and messed it up alot; that's the main reason why I didn't finish the bottom right up, should be longer out.

alright be back with more soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo Onir,

last two life studies are tons better than the earlier bandage one. You got rid of most of the heavy outlining and the shading is much more subtle. Shadows are a little "blobby" though, doesn't look like they were cast by the light/object.

careful on those spheres. Your reflected light in the shadows is as bright as your highlights facing the lightsource. That's only possible if the object is generating its own lights.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa! tons better! and btw i'm not saying you HAVE to make your shading incredibly smooth...cuz of course if you always have perfect drawings it's sort of boring...just a nice exercise though sometimes...

try using an ebony or something, it'll make blacker blacks and shading is a lot easier/faster. some of those 2B pencils don't shade very well for some reason, but yeah i use them too anyways ^^

btw for things like paper, you can get away with shading really rough. in fact you might prefer to instead cuz of the hard edges in paper...maybe save the soft shading for something like hair or a cup. (because in this industry, all you'll be drawing is hair and tea cups...right.)

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good values...like Emily said, you may want to up the contrast even more, depending on the lighting...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    machzero - thanks, yea I agree on the shadows, made them very rounded and biomorphic; definitely didn't fit too well with the object being drawn. good point on the sphere as well, gonna make sure I remember that.

hpslashluvr - I'd say you helped me achieve that with the shading tip so a big thank you to you been sketching with ebony pencil alot lately so I do see what you mean with the values, definitely nice. the hair and tea cups comment made me laugh a bit

glikster - thanks man, I do agree with ya, probably be a bit more adventurous with my lighting next time I do a long still life like that

some reffed sketches

the following two are all imagined sketches

and a small crappy environment sketch

mostly been doing these type of sketches lately, just trying to get better with imagined anatomy and people. gonna keep pushing that, try to figure out some way to get better at it. also been considering buying a set of oil paints lately, so if any of you have some suggestions I always appreciate it .

be back with more soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    look at the notes thread in the workshop forum for oil tips...ds and shawn barber and hussar and dobsky and jason chan all contributed REALLY good ideas...trust me, oils are so much better for a lot of stuff. the colors just seem to come out richer.

work on your perspective!!!!!!!! or, i may just be dumb and interpreting your environment pic wrong ^^

great ref'ed sketches btw. i bought a set of pencils that go up to 9B, it's great. i heard that a lot of ppl sketch with a mechanical and also a F...maybe try that to see if you like that also...since ebonies don't erase well.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I dig your last updates. It's really good that you keep the variety.
    http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ketches_93.jpg - Fantastic rendering. I think the reflected light is too bright here. Too much white on the edge of the sphere.

Folded piece of paper looks much better than earlier one so you made progress. As for reffed and imagine people sketches... it's hard to say something . Maybe think more about volume when drawing people. I mean box, cylinder, sphere and so on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your improvement is inspirational.. these sketches are kickin ass compared to your early stuff...keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey onir!

after all this practise from real life, any attempts at imaginative stuff?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hpslashluvr (or Emily, whichever you prefer) - thanks, that notes thread is wonderful, lots of great info in there. also I tried sketching in F like you suggested and I do like it, nice having a pretty light line after using ebony for a while. perspective is something I'm gonna start practicing more as well hehe, definitely need it.

Farvus - thanks man, glad ya liked the paper and the sphere. I understand about the reffed pics hehe, I really need to start thinking as you said: more volumetric. gonna have to try a few more sketches like that sometime soon.

glikster - thanks, always nice to hear that haha; hard to be sure I'm improving myself sometimes..

machzero - hey man, naaah nothing substantial hehe; mostly just imagined doodles and such (which I have some of today). I really just need to throw caution to the wind and do a full piece.. I'll do it one of these days

gah I suck at updating lol. I always say I'm gonna try to stay consistent and I'ma say it again. realizing that even if I put up my doodles and such you guys can help me out with those at least, right? hehe well yea I have some doodles this time around, let me know what ya think:

a jumble of random things, bicycle kick guy was inspired by all this world cup fun

a page from my small sketchbook; was messing around with some basic 2 point perspective but drifted away it after a point

and just a guy I quickly drew recently; kinda liked the way he came out

alright I'll come back with more asap; gnight!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a small update; just some head I drew. started off as just a quick sketch (hence the writing and the doodle in her hair), but I added some shading and sharpened up some things. facial anatomy is pretty bad (anatomy in general isn't great really; neck feels wierd), but I kinda like the way it came out.

alright, be back soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, I like the way the guy in the post before last came out too....

keep on truckin'~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agreed with glikster.

on the last post...make sure the eye that goes "off the face" (on the right)...don't draw the lashes going up like that...it makes the eye look skewed. also the dark part (the pupil?) is not in the same position i think for both of them. nice shading!

sorry i haven't replied in a while =P

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oni cool lookin dude in #192
    Like the lines a lot. Wheres the hip hop style sketches bro>?????? Get on it!!

Nothing Great Was Ever Accomplished Without Passion
    Sketchbook
    www.doronila.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey onir~!

last face looks good other than those tiny flaws already pointed out. Tried using a mirror to check it quickly? You'd pick up the nose was slightly misplaced, resulting in a concave feel to the face.

oh yeah, for the life studies... squint. it'll help with correcting those super dark shadows. Been playing around with pencils recently again. Keep finding myself forgetting these basics.

btw... what kind of pencil, paper and size did you use? I think i'm using paper with too much teeth and soft pencils. Graphite all over the place with no value control (not to mention I still have CRAPPY control over my right hand! heheh).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like this one - http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...etches_102.jpg It's quite loose and simple like in some Moebius comics.

The face in the last one looks a bit flat to me but very nice hair rendering. You're definately getting strong in values. Don't be afraid to push the darks even more but don't make them dominate the value scale .
    Cheers...

-Farv

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster - thanks glad to hear ya liked em

hp - thanks for the advice on the eyes, definitely didn't do a great job with em hehe. glad ya liked the shading at least

doronila - hey man it's been a little while, glad you liked that guy. in terms of hip hop sketches, to be honest I am pretty terrible at graf lol... outside of that, hip hop style characters aren't so much my style (plus I doubt I'd be able to make any decent characters like that anyway).

machzero - yea I need to remember the basics as well.. teacher I had once really pushed flipping the image and looking at it from different angles to catch mistakes and such. thanks for the advice though, wouldn't have thought about it otherwise. for that face I did it in my sketchbook which is about 11" x 14" (only used a portion of the page though); it's your standard strathmore sketchbook and I used an F pencil for that (hp got me using them ). paper is something I need to start paying more attention to though...

Favrus - thanks man glad you liked the guy, and a big thanks for the value comment. definitely need to do another value study just to keep going with it.

--

alrighty, I suck at updating. that said I've been mostly doing some small watercolor sketches and brainstorming lately. trying to do more imaginitive sketches lately, though I'm gonna start up with some studies to help get me a bit more active.

this one was just a sketch I was doing of the guy in front, then I added his legs and the person in the background. the foreshortening on his arms is pretty bad, which kinda makes his arms look reeaaally tiny lol. plus because I added his legs last they are kind of skewed off his torso.

one of the little watercolor sketches I did; supposed to be the head of a guy with a fro looking over his shoulder (more or less lol).. the random colors are because I was just trying to do it quickly; I just used what was already on my tray.

and this one I was working on up until a few minutes ago; haven't spent long on it, but figured I'd do a still life of a fruit I had. gonna finish it tomorrow when I wake up.

alright guys I apologize for my slowness as well as my slight absence from the forums. I'm definitely gonna try to update and post in general much more frequently.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright guys I apologize for my slowness as well as my slight absence from the forums. I'm definitely gonna try to update and post in general much more frequently.
    Damn right man! No time for socializing with people outside these forums!! Punishment is severe for those who socialize

Nah man, just good to see yer still here. Dont be too long with next update hey

Nothing Great Was Ever Accomplished Without Passion
    Sketchbook
    www.doronila.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doronila - haha yea I'm definitely making sure I work and update often now. thanks for the support

--

alright just a quick update, didn't get to do much of anything saturday due to work.. I do have an update on that digital still life though. gonna do more digital and traditional work tonight and tomorrow, but here's something for the moment:

kinda like the way it came out, though some of the detail spots are a little funky.

alright be back with more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo onir,

details look very good! but do a value check, drop the pic into the grayscale. Right now, when I squint, I see basically black with some dark gray.

your colour calibration good on your monitor?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice to see you update... ditto on what machzero said....

keep em coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice texture on the skin! i just wanna bite into it ^^

i know you mentioned it but work on your foreshortening in some of the sketches above.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    machzero - thanks! yea I completely forgot to check the values lol, I can definitely see what you mean. the fruit itself was dark, but I really should have kept an eye out for the tonal differences. as for my monitor, I think the calibration is alright, never messed with it; I guess my monitor might be brighter than normal though (brighter than my old crt monitor).

glikster - thanks man, yea trying to keep updating with at least something whenever I can.

hpslashluvr - thanks much happy the textures worked out well... yeaaa my foreshortening definitely needs work. gonna have to do some studies to help improve that.

---

alright small update once again, gonna try to get more substantial stuff up soon. I decided to throw caution to the wind and try and do the 50 heads in a month challenge at cgtalk. I haven't posted that I'm any heads there yet, but I do have one I did rather quickly.

I screwed up on this one in alot of spots, specifically the angle of the jaw and the forehead area. I think it came out alright, but I'm gonna have to just try to observe these things a bit better next time.

here's the reference for that head. was number 53 on the list given at cgtalk. looking at the reference and my pic in the same browser makes me realize how bad mine actually is lol.

alright be back with more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    all right... as long as you are aware of what needs to be worked on and you learn from it, chalk this one up as a success.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster - thanks man, that's a good way to look at things

--

alright I sketched out the next head a day or two ago and I started rendering it out last night; finished the face not long ago and it hit me how many things I screwed up on lol. facial anatomy doesn't look much like the picture, I elongated the face a bit, and made her too masculine (as well as a bit cockeyed). also because I wasn't too warmed up when I did the left side of the face (our right side when looking at it) the shading is pretty bad in that area; creates a nasty contrast between the sides imo lol.

this is head 75 from the cgtalk list and here's the reference pic. as with my last one, it looks mad ugly next to the reference lol. ah well, as glikster said as long as I learned from it.

be back with more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those studies on the neck looks great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great progress! keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JERI - thanks man speaking of which I need to start doing more studies...

kaktuzlime - thanks!

--

got a few more heads from that cgtalk 50 heads thing; good practice, I'm rather happy with the way these came out. also have a random doodle I did when messing around with watercolors:

here are the heads with their respective references

head #85

head #73

made this one look really sad lol

head #82

and that watercolor doodle; was messing around with mixing colors a bit and I stupidly got rid of the color I was washing the background with (hence the abrupt stop in the sky area).

alright, be back with more.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1