Sketchbook: Onir's sketchbook (ended) - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not bad... I'll be honest, I'm assuming you were going for brisk?

If you want to get into animation more, I seriously recommend The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams.

He covers the 12 fundamental rules of animation, and it's a great book. I started off interested in animation and kind of veered into traditional art when I realized that I needed a much stronger base in drawing to be a semi-competent animator.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Onir!

Long time I haven´t popped in, I apologize. I haven´t had time to browse too much around the whole board...

But now that I come back I realize that sometimes it is good to take a little break and then come back to see some improvement. You have gone forward in your art and that is the way. Those profiles are pretty good, the right-most girl is a beauty! Hpslashluvr had some good points on them though...

I will try to be more active again in the future. Don´t be as lazy as I am!

LoL Loe

The Baker's Dozen - SSSG#13
    Farvus Hiipi Onir machzero hpslashuvr glikster

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woo! you're an animal! keep drawing. you must work really fast!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster - yep, brisk it is! thanks for the book recommendation, gonna have to look into it; in terms of a drawing background I've definitely started to realize that as well (this forum is helping me to realize it), which is part of the reason why I might transfer. this school doesn't offer much in the way of drawing, and the animation program is pretty much solely 3D ahh well, that's an issue for another day hehe thanks again man

Hiipi - thanks man always nice to hear that I'm improving.. really can't see it at times. yea I agree, the one all the way to the right is the best by far; don't worry though I'ma keep trying to post when I can, just make sure you do the same! hehe

Interceptor - haha thanks man maybe I do work fast; probably a double edged sword in the end hehe

alright back with some actual drawings; gotta get faster with this! anyway it's been nice outside lately so I've gone out and drawn a bit:

another part of the Christian Science Center; the top looks good imo, the rest fell to crap though. I've grown to like ball point pen though

and some things from today; first is a structure in the Boston Common area, and as you can probably tell my brush pen is dying (not that it looks good to begin with). next is a bunch of gesture drawings I tried to do; went more for the Vilppu way of gestures (which I'm not really good at)

and there ya go. be back with more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That took me a little too long to update.. ah well got some stuff either way. mostly (pretty much all of em) are gestures; was reading some tutorials on em recently and made me want to do a bunch again. plus I was out so why not, eh?

firstly a bunch of reffed ones

and some from my adventures at harvard today

be back with more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quicker update this time got a few things this time around, mostly gestures and stuff, but one of a face I tried in pen

all these are from reference and the time varied between em (though most were probably 2 - 3 minutes)

and I actually did a few faces but couldn't scan em all (plus this is the only one that turned out alright)

alrighty be back with more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey onir! sorry for not posting recently... got caught up with work again with most of the team deployed overseas, running a one man show with only a new guy to assist me. Got tons of doodles, just no time to sort them through and post 'em.

good stuff on the last pic, the face. The parts in the shadows are good. The eye on the right, you got the angled view from below just nice. Ditto for the bottom of the nose in the shadow. Mouth is a off-centre a bit though. But on the left side of the pic, is there very harsh lights? No shadows at all? There should be a bit beneath the nostril on the left.

tried good 'ol graphite for your quick doodles? I used to shade using crosshatching (ended using stippling more) and it's quite tough to get "grayscales" down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Good job keeping up the SB!

Gotta watch the lines!!! Don't fall back into scratching...

Great job in that last one!!!

I'm trying to get more still life drawings done... I need the practice of translating 3d to 2d... plus, I'm working on a portrait commission....

I will update soon though!!

Oh yeah! That bottom right on the 1st image in the last post is KICK ASS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You were asking about these sketches and showing volume. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ketches_66.jpg. Boxes are the easiest way to go when you want to show form quickly, the thing is you must know the proportions of the boxes you're going to use and how the different anatomical parts relate to that box. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ketches_64.jpg I think you did a good job of it here with the guy on the upper right who looks like he's wearing some sort of turban, right next to the skeleton gesture. You can see the top of a foreshortened box at the hair/turban line and the face also follows that perspective. The way the lines of shading on the neck relate to the jaw also emphasize this perspective. Note how that perspective logic isn't on the big head in the middle of the first linked pic, and how it seems flat, that line for the cheek makes a good corner for the box though.
    http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ketches_67.jpg I like the head of the bearded guy wearing the hat. This drawing is more about shape than form, which is also interesting. The organization of the shapes is what sells it: darks for the hair, mids for the clothig, light for the skin; and each of these shape masses can be related to some shape, the face is like a triangle. Notice on the less successful ones there isn't this light/dark organization and there aren't any recognizable shapes, like the face all the way on the left.
    The first thing to worry about with profiles, and anything else, is proportion. Start with a vertical line, then get the thirds. When I say get the thirds I don't mean the generic thirds that all faces can be simplified but the actual thirds of the particular face you are looking at. Then, at those thirds, mark how far in front or in back of that vertical line they should be.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    These gestures are coming along nicely. I think you should practice some shading by drawing some simple still life. Both with pen and pencil.

Keep fighting with line economy. I see some improvement in this .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    machzero - thanks I see what you mean about the portrait, there definitely should be more lighting on that side of the face, not sure why I didn't do that. in terms of doodling with pencil, it's definitely been a good amount of time since I've sat down with a pencil and doodled, whether they were long drawings or quick ones. that's gonna change now though hehe, gotta get my pencil skills up.

glikster - thanks! honestly I really appreciate when you guys remind me about my lines, I do forget occasionally (I was starting to feather my lines alot and you helped me realize I was).

armando - thanks so much man that post definitely was helpful; you helped me realize alot of things and I'm gonna start thinking about them alot more. I honestly didn't even realize that one thing you said about the difference in darks distinguishing between the clothes, hair and stuff, makes alot of sense now that you point it out though.

Farvus - thank ya I read your post a few days ago, so I actually have some simple objects today

well yep, inspired by gliksters work and farvus' advice I have 3 small still life sketches. This helped me realize how much I suck at pencil (and pen for that matter) shading.

this first has medical tape and an ace bandage I had sitting around my room (tape I kept from my track days in high school). these 2 were done yesterday, one in pen and one in pencil.

this one was from today of one of the tapes. I drew it out alone at first, then I decided to draw in the rest; I think I ruined it by doing that so I stopped I did put in a little over an hour on this though, really tried to take my time with it. Also used a q-tip to help with the blending

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gah didn't realize how light the last image in my last post was until just now

well back with a small update, just an ebony pencil drawing of an inkwell my friend gave me; not sure how long it took, worked on it a little yesterday and finished it today. still trying to get better with pencil/general shading, so all advice is welcome and appreciated

be back with more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm.... good studies... the rendering on the inkwell makes it look fluffy...

Also, I think you should hold off on the blending. Try for distinct values, the better you get at defining what values go where, the easier rendering it comepletely will be...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster - thanks, yea I agree that that shading made the inkwell look fluffy lol. good point on blending, getting use to dropping in values well is really what I need to get better at. so no more blending! haha

another ebony pencil study of my ace bandage, used the side of the pencil point for a bunch of this. kinda happy with it but at the same time I know if I had spent more time on it/been a bit more patient with it it could be better... ahh well though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is really good! Great contrast! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, this indeed evolved to a nice scetchbook. I especially like your architecture scetches. Remind me that I should do some more of them, too. Nice ref work, you have a great eye! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster - thanks!

Faust - yea I always enjoy sketching buildings and such; need to do more myself. thanks for the comment

quick update, painted something for my mom for Mother's Day. just a cup of tea really, let me know what you guys think

be back with more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. Nice to see you doing some still life sketches. You're using full range of tones and your shading lines are wrapping around form so it's great. I'd like to give some more advices but I have no big experience in shading. It can be done with lots of different techniqes. I'm experimenting with this all the time.

I like the bandage drawing and the cup of tea. In the last one you could give the cup some light colour beacause 100% gray never exist in nature. It absorbs colours that are nearby.

Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good perspective and ellipses...except the saucer goes kind of wonky...
    nice seeing your watercolors... do more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mmmm maybe try working in oils? i always felt that i had more control with them and maybe i'm just a sucker for intense colors ^^

that's an awfully sweet mother's day gift though! i gave my momma some flowers and we took her to a mcdonalds for breakfast cuz mothers can choose any item for free >.<

as for the still life studies in pencil, make sure your shading follows the contours of the item.

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Farvus - thanks any advice on shading is welcome, glad to hear that I'm doing alright though; for the cup I know what you mean for the cup itself being too grey and I agree. Thought about adding outside color into it but I didn't want to mess up any attempt at realism I had going.

glikster - thanks! yea the saucer bothered me as well, came out weirdly

hpslashluvr - haha yea my mom liked the painting alot which made me happy; I would love to work in oils and I plan to get some when I get the money for it; I'm a big fan of both so I'm happy I can use either atm though. and lastly thanks for the tip on shading along the contour of the line, good to remember.

gah 10 days? didn't feel that long.. well yea I apologize for the slow update, friends coming back from school so getting to see them as well as job searching has been going on. Also last weekend I went down to Philadelphia to visit my friend at school with some people so yea... I have been working though, so let me know what you guys think of these.

first is a sketch I did while sitting in the back of my friends car on the way down to Philadelphia; supposed to be more of less the front two seats of the car and the dashboard. may have come out too shaking to be readable though.

did this next one yesterday, took some elastic stretch thing I had and crumbled it up on my desk. came out pretty well in my opinion as well, though the middle kinda sucks (worked outside in for some reason, and near the end I guess I got a little antsy).

and these are two watercolors of this little bucket I had in my room; the one on the left was sketched out first, and the right wasn't. thought they came out alright.. I did move it for the right one, hence why the cast shadow is different.

alright I'll be back quicker next time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo onir,

regarding those bandage studies, did you recall seeing some threads regarding line weights here on c.art? Can't remember all of it... but it involves going very light or even near invisible for the sections in the bright light... or for shapes moving away or becoming parallel with the line of sight. And heavier for the lines in the shadows. Suggest the shapes with shadows as opposed to outlining?

the car interior is scratchy, but you got the perspective pretty much dead-on for a moving sketch!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Loose is fun

You can really see some great strides in improvement from the beginning to the end. Especially in your figures. The biggest thing I see is to find the balance with your figure. Something that I have been struggling with myself. A friend just reminded me along with a teacher that it is all in the hips. Start your form from the hips and work the legs to build the foundation of your form. With that foundation you can go back an really nail some great gestures. Also I would love to see more color work. With your tones I would try and work around the form using straight lines and then go back over them to form the curves.
    Great stuff though, very loose and positive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work on the sketching, i know it's just a pet peeve probably with my own preferences but your shading just isn't very smooth at all. i'm not saying it has to be like perfectly realistic and can't be sketchy but i think you could work on control. a good exercise is to sketch a circle or a cube/other shapes and shade them - see how smooth you can get the shading.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates. I agree with hpslashluvr about shading. I also think that the cast shadows in the second piece are a bit too strong. It feels like there are some holes in the paper.
    I really like the watercolour studies. I'm planning to buy some watercolours soon beacause I never really tried them out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    machzero - hey thanks for the advice; I think sometimes of just not putting a line where it's really light/pretty much just white paper but I thought there should be a line there (a reflected shadow or something... doesn't sound quite right now that I think about it lol). also defining a border with a shadow is a good idea, good to remember

ATLAS2900 - thanks good advice about the hips as well, that's always a tough area to convey for me; actually made me do a few hip drawings from bridgman as well haha. for straight line toning then going over it, I'm gonna try that see how the results come out. thanks for the tips once again!

hpslashluvr - yeaaa I agree my shading is definitely not smooth, bothers me as well. gonna do what you said about shading circles, see if that helps with gaining some control.

Farvus - thanks I agree on the dark shadows on that one drawings; honestly they were dark, but I didn't take into account that it was sitting on a darker wood surface. probably would have helped out if I had shown that haha.. yay for watercolors as well, definitely a medium I love. I'm sure you'll use em well, so post up whatcha come up with when ya get em

okay got a few things this time; some light anatomy stuff from bridgman along with a few small figure sketches to warm up and a pencil study of a head from a drawing by Ingres. figured doing a master study or too will help both shading and form.

be back soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's a beautiful copy of a head. i love the expression. try maybe doing the master copy at cgtalk? i'm doing one right now of their nude model session.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hpslashluvr - thanks yea I just might join in on that master copy workshop, wanted to do one of those for a little while since they do seem to help alot. also give me a bit more practice digitally (and I would appreciate any I can get lol).

real small update, figure I'll try to get something up when I have it from now on, nightly if possible (or close enough to nightly). just a bit of shading practice this time on; drew out some rounded egg sort of shapes and tried to make a smooth transition on them.

left one came out pretty well in my opinion, though I'm not sure the band of darkness/shadow of it is entirely correct. the right came out bleh, really made the rim too dark.

be back with more soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not too bad. Keep practicing. I would suggest doing some face plane and skull studies to help bring more structure to your faces. Also, I am assuming, but some of these it seems like you rush through them, the strokes just look like quick messy strokes, if so, try to slow down alittle and take the time to observe/think alittle more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm perhaps it will just be your signature style ^^ what kind of pencil and paper are you using? maybe you need to use a softer pencil??? i know it's a pain in the ass but try using the lightest strokes you can. actually they really shouldn't even be called strokes...don't even lift up your pencil. you can shade really small circles if it's too time consuming. basically, if you can see any strokes at all, you've sort of failed the exercise >.< if you ever look at those barque drawings you can see how smooth they make their lines. i'm not sure if they use charcoal though.

either way, nice studies, the lighting looks great. the rim on the right egg is a bit dark but it still looks nice.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1