Sketchbook: Onir's sketchbook (ended) - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the museum sketches are great. i actually don't really mind the "searching" lines this time, it seems to fit. the sculpture looks pretty sweet! ^^ what kind of classes are you taking?

with your sketch of the plane and stuff, try looking at the storyboard thread (maybe in the WIP section?)...there is some good information on how to get an interesting fg, mg, and bg. great concept though, you should carry it thru to a finished piece

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster - ya know, I really like that idea of doing an overhead schematic and stuff; probably help me compose pieces easier. and I'm definitely up for doing a SSG WIP project like that, whatever it may be; always nice to have something like that imo.

machzero - gah! lol you make it look soo much better! and you're right about the still lifes, I've always been concerned with a contour shape primarily; I always think about filling in the shading afterwards. On making a sweeping line and such that's something I've started working on, and I'm trying to limit the number of short lines I make nowadays.

bumskee - whoa didn't see your post first time through for some reason hehe; thanks for all the encouragement man, as I always say your work is great inspiration. still workin on that line confidence! lol I'm progressing though.. I hope at least

T-raktor - thanks man, yea trying to find the perfect line is something I'm working on amongst other things. Trying to use minimal lines to help with that.

Hiipi - I read your reply yesterday (sorry I didn't reply back then ) and I decided to actually look through the loomis figure drawing book. I can't believe I didn't do it sooner! lol definitely great information, I'm gonna keep reading through it as well as do studies from it, so expect those.

hpslashluvr - glad you like the sketches and the museum stuff; the sculpture thing is for my 3d art studies class. mostly teaching us about 3 dimensional composition in sculptures and stuff, and we also gotta build different pieces. This project was to have something a minimum of 24" tall and have an organic form of at least 10 x 10" hanging from it. I did two manikin figures out of wire for the organic forms, both probably around 6" tall standing up; One is up top pulling (or lowering) this guy from (or into) a wrecked area of some sort. I wanted to leave it ambiguous so that the viewer kinda formed a story for themselves. Other than that class I'm taking a digital tools class (photoshop, illustrator, and flash), a math class, and art history after 1400. All in all not bad stuff (I want more drawing though darn it lol). Oh and thanks for letting me know about that storyboard thread; found one called post yer storyboards (not sure if that's the one) but I'm definitely gonna read through it. I'm a big storyboard fan so I'd like to learn how to use em. Whew wrote alot.

Alrighty I'm sorry I've been slacking on my updates, I've been really stressed out with things lately. Finally decided that I'm gonna wait on transfering, and I'ma stay here at NU for the time being. Anyway, art wise I'll try to have something for you guys later today. Again, sorry I'm slow atm.

Last edited by Onir; February 23rd, 2006 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright not much but it's something; a sheet with a building I drew from reference and some loomis manikins. just trying to get used to em

Onir's sketchbook (ended)

bleh I promise to have more tomorrow, gonna really start trying to get back into a nice groove

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's lots of new stuff since my last visit.
    The sketches from museum are very good. I can even feel the tension in Hercules' legs and arms.
    From time to time draw some fun stuff from imagination like this sci-fi view. Pushing yoursef too hard will make you too uncertain and that can sometimes reflect in drawings .

Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That last sheet is top notch!

The building is kind of a leaning tower, but I do that too when I'm just sketching something like that...

Seriously great job on the loomis stuff (it's too much of a pain to spell mannequin)! I can see you're really working on your line control!!

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the hips look a little wide on the bottom mannequin sketches but i'm prolly wrong.

nice building drawing...how long did that take you?

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Farvus - thank ya, glad you liked em; yea I really should draw more from my imagination. As happens a lot is I do then I don't like the way it looks and I get annoyed with it and go back to strictly trying to improve lol but yea I'ma try to draw more from imagination in general, helps with creativity either way in the end

glikster - thanks man! I thought I was spelling mannequin wrong lol; ya know I didn't even realize the building was leaning till you pointed it out haha, gonna watch out for that from now on

hpslashluvr - yea I can see what you mean on the hips on those mannequins; hmm they probably are too wide haha, oh well I'ma keep practicing them. The building took around 20 - 30 minutes I think? did that around 4 days ago so I can't really remember

alrighty back with more loomis stuff, an apple done in watercolor, and some shots of my wood tower thing

I think I draw the torsos too big..

Onir's sketchbook (ended)Onir's sketchbook (ended)

Was kinda hard doing a red delicious apple, and I think trying to dry brush in the highlights and the details failed a bit haha

and pictures of my class tower thing, just noticed the some of the pictures have a wierd ghosty effect o_O no idea; this was the best spot I could find to take pictures of em in my dorm room

Onir's sketchbook (ended)Onir's sketchbook (ended)Onir's sketchbook (ended)

there they are, be back with more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey onir,

cool tower. Reminds me when some of my friends were working on their suspension bridge projects using icecream sticks... and everyone started cheating by using super epoxy resins to strengtened the sticks plus the joints... heh.

apple is good! but the shadow's a little strong, isn't it? There should be enough light bouncing in from the environment to lighten it up a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    loving those mannequins...

good job on the apple... is that acrylics? I agree with machzero about the shadow, and keep in mind the light source on the apple itself (ie the side opposite the cast shadow should be lighter...)

Very cool tower, dude... I'm liking it a lot...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dig the economical lines in mannikin sketches. Some of them seem to have too wide torso or hips. However Loomis wrote that more important in drawing them is pose and expression...
    The apple looks delicious

Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    machzero - glad ya like the tower; in fact we were doing suspension type of structures as well. nothing that requires strengthening resin though haha... thank ya for the input on the apple, I definitely see what you mean about the shadow, probably should lighten up around the edges and stuff. I'll keep that in mind on my next one of those

glikster - thanks man, and that apple is actually done in watercolor. just dry brushed the highlights and the rest kinda blended together really darkly.. didn't even think about the side opposite cast shadow either. alrighty I'ma definitely note the shadow better next time, multiple feedback on that is a good sign I should

Farvus - thank ya man, and yea I do agree about the hips and such. I notice I make the hips wide and the torsos big, so I'm workin on that.

alrighty back with something small; I'm slow nowadays with updating sorry about that. anyway here are two things:

some more loomis mannequins; decided to try brush pen so I would be more careful with my line placement

and a random sketch of a dam or something lol. I didn't do any perspective other than eyeing it, so it's probably full of errors and such. plus I tried adding value and stuff by hatching and stuff, but that probably failed as well lol. ah well, gotta start doing more imaginative things so this was a nice break

alrighty I'ma be quicker with this from now on... (gonna try at least )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent strokes on the mannequins with the brush pen!!
    seriously, they're really expressive.

I know how you feel with the dam... I wish I could help you but I have the same problem... I think you and I have to rely on ref for now, at least until we build up our 'Visual vocabulary" as someone on these forums put it.

Keep working with the watercolor... I need to try painting from ref, too...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mannikins look great as usual. I'm doing similar stuff recently and it's fun

As for the dam... The rocks on the both sides look a bit like they are flat. Try showing some volume with hatching and it will look much better.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster - glad you liked the brush pen stuff; definitely love that pen probably gonna do alot more practice like that. And yea I hear ya on building up a visual vocabulary.. amazes me at times how many topics there are to study to be able to draw alot of things

Farvus - yea I agree, working in mannequin type of things is definitely fun I saw your gesture thread and I'll probably post there when I can. sadly don't have alot of figure drawing classes to get some nice ones down, but I'll try to get what I can up there. and I agree with the dam thingy; I really need to get better at showing mass with my hatching

alright, I always hate posting without some sort of image, so I'm putting up to random things I did a good while ago. reason for this is just that I'm on spring break for the next week (woo) and I gotta get outta my dorm -_- so yea I'm gonna be home and away from my scanner. I'll try to take pictures of stuff, but yea if I don't get much stuff up (that's not digital at least) then please understand.

anyway, this first one is an environment I did last september; I kinda like the way it came out

and this one was from last december; was doodling in PS, then decided to look in the mirror and paint what I saw. silly me cut off half my head though sorry about the size

alrighty, be back with more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice start to the SP in that digital piece...

You should do more of those, there's a really good sense of mass in your values there....

have fun, and keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad, mate. The only thing i think you should work on is scratching that paper less. You're lines can (and should) convey a sense of emotion and feeling- i suppose you don't need to work on it if that feeling you're going for is itchiness, nervousness, paranoia...

I'm just kidding, but you should, nonetheless, work on those lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster - thanks!

sith - haha thanks man, I agree on my lines, it's a habit I'm trying to break. primarily been trying not to go over lines alot lately (don't have a scanner though so I can't show those practices)

alrighty, yes no scanner so no pen work. I HAVE been doing it though, so expect a dump of sorts when I get back to my scanner

alright decided to do some watercolors today, so yea here is my attempt:

and a shot of the little set up I used

sucks when you realize right after you fill in the shapes that the shapes aren't right and all that lol, ahh well learning process.

be back with more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is a damn good job!! I wanna see more painting, dude!

Also, don't forget to darken the shadow... although the lighting might be different in your pic of the setuo then when you were looking at it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well. Right now I don't go to any figure drawing classes. My gesture drawings are based on what I observe from some photo, movie or life. Sometimes I just draw random pose without much thinking .
    I like the textures in your last enviroment painting. Try using more than one colour for object and it will look more convincing.
    As for the watercolours. Do more of such stuff. I learned a lot about colours by just painting still life.

Denmarkian, But currently posing as a UKanian.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bud, keep it up with the loomis mannequins. Will improve the way you see and draw the human figure. Or it did for me anyway lol. Wanna see more from you man. Hurry up with the next update

Nothing great was ever accomplished without passion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice progression here dude. Keep it up.

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster - thanks! yea you're right shadows are something I need to watch better

Farvus - thanks man, I'm gonna keep trying to paint still lifes when I can, both digitally and traditionally, especially to help with color knowledge; understanding color is something I'm definitely trying to get better with (among the mass number of other things).

Mowgz - thanks yea loomis is definitely helping, so I'm gonna start doing them alot more (didn't get to do any over the past week )

Sirio_Brozzi - thanks

well I'm off of spring break now, so I'm back up here in Boston for the final stretch of the school year. didn't get to do much over the break except for some doodles here and then, and that orange still life. I do have some stuff from the ride down to Jersey though! lol

since it's a decently long ride from Boston to NJ I figured at some point during the trip that I might as well just try to draw what I saw as we passed by. most of these were done very quickly, and alot of them are of trees Other than trees, there are overpass bridges, mountains, buildings, and some other things here and there. they all are the same sizes relatively, but some look huge because of the scan. anyway, here they are:

most of those I tried to just get down what I was drawing in a few lines (after a while at least). I think they came out alright, however I can understand if the just look like a big mess of black lines lol

this last one is a picture I drew of my older brother when he was reading something. his chin's in his shirt which is why you can't see the bottom of his head. the other doodle was just trying to see if I could make a head using only hatching and cross hatching

okay, I'll return with more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff man, youre slowly but gradually improving so thumbs up!
    What pencils and pens are ya usin? Show pics

Nothing Great Was Ever Accomplished Without Passion
    Sketchbook
    www.doronila.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job with the brush pen sketches... a few of them have the sumi-e feel of essential lines...
    also great job on the hatched head... looking good...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey onir, respect for being able to doodle while in a car! I get violently ill if I try doing anything other than driving while in car (and once went nuts going 10-20mph over the recommended limit up and down the redwoods/mountains near san jose without even getting quesy).

oh yeah, your lines look good when you work fast. Check out those trees and overpasses you did.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doronila - thanks man! always nice to hear I'm improving no matter the speed and as you requested
    a nice blurry picture of the two pens I've been using lately lol; top pen is a sanford uniball micro, and the bottom is a sakura pigma brush.

glikster - thanks to be honest I've always loved the way sumi-e pieces look, so that's definitely good to hear haha

machzero - doh! sucks that you get sick like that, though driving like that would definitely not make me think you'd get sick from riding lol. thanks about my lines as well, not sure why but maybe feeling like I have no time lets me now worry about being meticulous with measuring and crap lol no idea, thanks again though

alrighty got a bunch of mannequins from loomis this time; sorry about the slowness lately, getting a nice amount of projects to work on now. gotta use a book to make a sculpture/3d piece of art (basically gotta destroy a book and use it's parts); I'll put up the finished result.

be back with more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, that's a hell of a bunch of mannequins! keep drawing them! fill a sketchbook with them... & invent you're own poses (I assume you already have though ) . & don't forget NOT to destroy the Loomis books! It would be blasphemy... 8) Keep you're good work up!

later,
    GRiNGoLoCO

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    somehow i feel that the ink is running out of your pen, but i guess you were prolly just drawing fast >.<

the still life you did of the fruit is pretty sweet, maybe put some more def on the banana if you ever get to work on it again, it seems less developed than the orange.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gringoloco - thanks man yea those mannequins are definitely good practice, and I would NEVER destroy the loomis books lol, though the reminder not to is always welcome for reinforcement

hpslashluvr - haha yea my brush pen is getting pretty beat up, so it's leaving streaks instead of a smoother look; and yea I was sketching really fast so I wouldn't doubt if there are excess lines in there. thank ya on the still life, and I see what ya mean on the banana; would go back and add more detail but I ate both fruits after I painted them... lol I'll look for lacking details in the future though

2 things today; a self portrait in pen and 2 drawings from photo refs

tried shading the shadow I had over my face a bit, which is why my nose is unshaded. definitely need to improve my shading, but I'm happy with it. I look sad though and my hat is too small

the left one is Apathy and the right guy is One Two from the Demigodz (hip hop group); listening to apathy lately so I wanted to see what he looked like. found a picture of him and said why not I'll draw em the other guy was on the site as well so I figured why not again haha

be back with more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great updates!
    I think that the pic of One Two (Three Four? Call me old, I don't get the names deal...) is great and shows real serious improvement!

Keep it up!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4