Alright, back with some more!

2 gesture drawings; once again all done in around 2 minutes

and 3 studies from bridgman

more to come!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here once again to post a few more pics; I'm not gonna be at my computer for the next few days so I won't be updating till sunday at the earliest. anyway here they are:

2 gesture sheets; once again ~2minutes for each

and an attempted self-portrait I had to do for class; done in oil pastels

alright more to come!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had alot of work lately, since the semester is about over, so I haven't been able to update recently. Anyway here's some 5 minute portraits I did earlier this week in class.

be back with more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oi

Wow you have been busy.

The eyes are nice, and the arms are pretty good, I would like to see something cleanner but it looks like with all the poses, which are fantastic (yes it is a little hard to breath with my head up your ass.), It is quite good to see some lively updates.

sly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sly's hand - hey, thanks for the kind words

yea, I hope to get more studies and such up now that I actually have time to work on em. Also, since the semester here is over I'll be heading back home for a month. So I plan to have some more things up this coming week.

Now, though, I have some neck studies! hehe figure since I've done head stuff recently might as well work on the neck anyway here they are,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a little bit once again, but I'm back with some stuff; no scanner unfortunately so no work in pencil, but I do have 2 digital things. Got painter ix for Christmas so I've been screwing with it a bit and these 2 are just things I thought didn't turn out half bad. Anyway, here they are:

wanted to paint a face and then just kinda trailed off from there hehe

wanted to see what I could do with a bunch of different colors; meant it to be an arm holding a pen and I think it came out alright

Anyway, happy holidays all, be back with more soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, thanks for stopping by my SB.

Great studies you've got here, I can already see you improving from the sketches you posted at the beginning. Keep going, and have fun with painter.

My Sketchbook
    It's when you can't hear the bats, that's when the bats are coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    silentkitty - Hey thanks for the comments, much appreciated

Alrighty, back up here in boston now since school is starting up again. Making sure this year to draw alot more (and to be more consistent with this sketchbook ). Got 2 pieces this time, so here they are:

This was done in watercolor in ~1 1/2 hours

This was just some attempts at two portraits from photos; gotta practice faces alot more hehe

more to come!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alrighty, back with 2 more

loomis head studies

little still life thingy done in painter; background kinda sucks (couldn't find any way to display what it's leaning against well.. probably bad perspective or something) but I think the rest came out alright

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off, the apple rocks!
    Now, in the first few, I see the line work is very felt out, got this scratchy feel. But in just a couple posts later, your line work is more confident and just looks like your feeling volume more too. My favorite besides the apple has to be this one>> why? It's good a lot of feeling in it and is loose....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, and keep up the head studies, those are strong. One suggestion on the apple.... add in some blue in the cast shadow. Blue, purple and green.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah that one sabe posted is my fav aswell. I feel like ur drawings use to many short jittery lines. Mabey uve been told this or not but u gotta loosen up and use your elbow to hit long straight or curvy lines, u may not think so at first try but with practice it will come naturally. Just think hard, ghost the line a few times (hover the tip of ur pencil back and forth over the line u have in ur head), then wen u think u got it, drop, dont push, drop ur pencil and then wooosh the line out. Start out with light lines at first just to build confidence, and then build them up after. With practice and time ull be more confident and will be able to hit lines not problem. I can already see u doing this on ur more recent posts. Keep up the good work. And dont do too much studying, i mean if its something u like then go ahead, but leave time in ur sketch times to do stuff that u feel like doing, even if it looks bad and doesnt turn out its still good to at least try. Stay loose and dont give a shit. start loose then if u like wat ur seing in the lines, start to tighten up and focus.

all this is stuff im still trying to work on myself. i hope ull find it helpful. keep up the drawing. u got potential buddy.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Hiya Onir,

Thanks for dropping by my thread earlier, I appreciate your comments.

It looks like you are working hard here, and it's nice to see your progression.
    Look forward to more!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
    1300 Factory Place, Unit 308
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
    www.korpus-la.com
    Blog
    Facebook Page

Twitter
    korpus.info@gmail.com
    Phone: 213-228-2014

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how you studied the neck muscles. That one of my favorite parts of the anatomy. gives realism to the form.

Figure drawings look good. Some interesting forms and poses.

My fav is the still life on the dolls!!! haha its so creepy, I love it. (hmmmmm inspiration) would you mind if I borrowed your idea??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sabe2003 - thanks man, definitely appreciate the compliments and the advice

OBX - yea I've been told I have a very "nervous" way of making lines, since I tend to make quick jagged lines alot; wouldn't doubt if I do this because I've always been a little impatient with my drawing (not so bad nowadays). Definitely gonna take your advice though, thanks Oh and yea I probably should try moving away from studies a bit, but whenever I try coming up with something original, I see what I draw and just don't like it most times. Then I just feel I need to improve more so I go back to my studies

Rebeccak - you're welcome and thank you for dropping in as well

incolorinred - thanks for the compliments hehe I agree that the doll still life came out a bit freaky looking, and nope I don't mind at all if you wanna use the idea; was more my teachers in the end for putting the still life together

Alright, sorry for the slower update, was trying to keep this daily. Classes started and made things a bit wierd at first, but I think my schedule is gonna let me draw more thankfully. Anyway, two small things; a head study (again) and some attempted hatching on a face.

Keep trying to think of something to draw that doesn't involving studies, coming up mostly blank though hehe. Alright though, I'll be back with more of something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    4 things today; sketch of the buildings outside my room, my mug sitting on my desk, and two doodles in photoshop. Bottom left is supposed to be a guy hunched over (hope that can be seen hehe) and the bottom right was originally an attempt at todays DSG but I didn't think it fit into the topic as well as it could have.

More to come

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oop, forgot another photoshop doodle from yesterday, as well as some shading practice I worked on before I went to bed last night. I'm happy with the way the sleeve came out, though the little guy next to him is crap (rushed it a bit) and my scanner is showing it's age. Ah well here they are:

more to come

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some quick gestures while commuting in Boston

and one of my roommate

still tryin, so more to come

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    got some painter practice today; just a bunch of eyes, wanted to try out different brushes and such though. here it is:

be back with more at some point; comments always welcome as well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey onir. nice work you've been doing! you have improved a lot on the gestures. im inspired to do more gesture practice. thanks! and your people have improved a lot. nice cloth study up there too. you still can work on your linework, i can see its already improving, but some good practice is doing some still life, and before putting the pencil to the paper, think before you mark, practice drawing the still lifes without having to redraw the lines agian..its a really helpful excercise.. i don't know if i described that excercise very clearly sorry. but keep it up! doing great. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    osgoon- hey, thanks for the kind words and advice, definitely appreciate it. I read what you posted a little while ago (didn't respond because I didn't have anything at the time) and I've been trying what you said about thinking before putting the lines down. Definitely good to do, and I think it's helping. anyway, thanks again

alright, finally got around to posting some stuff (as well as sitting down and practicing); pencilwork and shading is primarily what I'm trying to improve in now, so here are 2 things I did just messing around. First was done in 4b, second in 2b:

well there it is, I'll be back with more sooner than later hopefully

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have shown so much improvment over such a short period, I hope I can improve as quickly as you have! I realy like the your anatomy explorations, you can tell that you are realy trying to understand the form. now only if i can use you as insperation to study anatomy myself :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    casale - hey thanks for the kind words yea anatomy gets to be addictive once you start learning it (imo at least), so yea I'd say just give it a try; never know ya might enjoy it hehe

Alrighty back with 3 things, 2 pages with self portraits and one of a study of a drawing of michelangelo. Took pictures of them this time to see if they look alright; came out so-so imo, but figured I might as well try it once lol. Anyway here they are.

partially finished one I had to stop early, and the other was a 10 minute sketch

this one I'm more happy with, though I think the eyes are pretty screwed up

and my master drawing study (with a quick sketch of my arm above it ); amazing how many problems I can pick up looking at them next to each other lol.. ahh well it was good practice (mine's on the right of course)

alright be back with more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! it's great to see some skull studies. they are vital to learning a higher knowledge of portraiture etc. Many of your drawings have a very sketchy, unsure line quality. You should work on trying to get better bang for your buck on your lines. A good way to improve line quality is to use a brush pen and do small studies of people in the park or waiting for the bus or something. brush pens give you a lot of opportunity for different line width. work small. over time, you can start to go bigger, and your confidence will increase. my $0.02

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr. Blonde - thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it; working on my linework is one of my primary goals atm (that and working on heads), so I'm definitely gonna take your advice\. Just need to get a brush pen now, probably see if I can pick one up asap

Well, back with a little head study I did (only 3 heads not sure how much of a study that is ), spent at least a half hour on each of these. These are all from refs.. really trying to improve my accuracy so I took my time on these.Gonna look into getting a new scanner in the near future, can't seem to pick up alot of the lighter marks I make; anyway here they are:

alright there ya go, I'll return with more (soon hopefully)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving those studies!!
    Serious improvement in here!!

Watch your eye placement, in that last page of faces, all three have slightly skewed eyes. Remember that just because you're using ref doesn't mean you don't still have to construct your drawing. I have the same problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't visited this sketchbook before. You're on the right track. For now I have the just the same suggestion as osgoon. Try not to redraw the lines Maybe use more pen instead of pencil. It forces to make "fluid" strokes. Pencil shading can be improved by doing some master drawing study like the one you did. I already see the improvement after this exercise .
    As for drawing faces. Try to draw them not to small beacause it's hard to put all the features in good proportions.

Keep it up!

PS. I'm not perfect in english so sorry if I said something unclear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i haven't read all the responses...so sorry if i say the same thing.

good job on practicing faces and stuff! i'm definitely trying to work on that too. i'm sure someone has commented on the fact that in your linework you don't know where to place the lines.....they are often random and don't follow the actual contours of the clothes/bodies. it's almost better to be simplistic than to try to put lines that aren't there. for ex in your first post with the hand and foot instead of just scribbling in the mass you could have just shaded it according to how the hand flows with a lot less lines - either hatching or crosshatching or whatever. you can also try buying a light-colored marker and shading with that instead of just with a pen.

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster - thanks man yeaa I see what you mean on the face, and I think I understand what you are saying on constructing, problem I have is I tend to drop the major parts (eyes, nose, mouth) as I'm shading along, which isn't the smartest I bet hehe. I'm defintely gonna work on planning out my drawings and such better now

Farvus - hey thanks for the advice and crits Gaah a friend of mine told me a while ago to work in pen so I couldn't erase and that was rough for a while lol. Yea perhaps working in pen is best though, I do need to break that habit of redrawing lines. And good point on face drawing, really drew them small so I could fit a bunch in, but I went into more detail than I had planned. thanks again man, and your english is perfectly fine

hpslashluvr - thanks for the comments, and yea everyone says my linework needs work lol; the fact that you said it as well just shows taht I really do lol, so yea that's a big thing for me atm. I reaaallly like that idea of using a light color marker for shading, gonna have to go pick one up. thanks again

Well I'm back with two more things, one part is a drawing of the class room I was in during class, and the rest is just testing out the brush pen Mr. Blonde suggested getting. I really like the way it works, I just feel I suck with it lol. anyway here they are:

Before I go I just wanted to say thanks to my SSG group members; really glad I joined one honestly, I can tell you guys all know what you are doing, and I'm happy I'll be able to learn from yall just hope I can give back as much good advice as you guys have given me.

Anyway I'll be back with more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, I can see big improvements already man! The stuff I'm most drawn to here is the stuff with the most contrast. I know you're working on the "messy" rendering (hey "messy" can be a good thing), but remember that the contrast of dark darks and light lights creates interest.
    The getsure drawings are coming along, I'd love to see more drawings of poeple from classes, like around the middle of the page, I used to love to do that. Also more color. More everything! Nice work!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1