Sketchbook: Onir's sketchbook (ended) - Page 13
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: Onir's sketchbook (ended)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you got some great quick gesture studies going. cool thumbnail sketches too. would love to see more of those.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Farvus - thanks man yea these animation classes are really starting to make me come into a style I think.. having to draw characters all the time, I don't wanna draw strictly mannequins so I try to come up with whatever hehe. thanks for that site btw, it looks great! definitely gonna keep looking at it.

tensai - thanks much! will certainly try to get more of those in

--
    1 month to the day! sorry I haven't updated, just gets hard to do it at times. lately I've been getting rather inspired though and I'm gonna try to get some more regular studies in. I attempted the 100 creatures thing, but failed rather miserably; I got maybe about 25 - 30 thumbs done in pen and when I tried to do em in painter I realized that coming up with anything decent would take far too long for a thumbnail. so yea gonna try to get some more digital studies in. enough of all that though, I haven't posted art in a month so lets do this!

first some doodles and such; I have pieces from my anatomy class but I don't have them with me, so I'll dump a bunch of them at a later point in time. mostly just charcoal pencil doodles and studies of Heinrich Kley (beautiful pen and ink work if anyone is interested).
    posting chronologically..

and Sargent study in Painter

last but not least are a bunch of animations I've done lately. these are all essentially pencil tests, so they are pretty wobbly in spots. the last one (front walk cycle) I did just tonight, just to let yall know.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...4_wjking_1.flv
    http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...5pose_01_1.flv
    http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...cycle_01_1.flv
    http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...wcycle7_01.flv

alright I'll be back with more hopefully sooner rather than later.. regardless I feel like a scumbag for not giving back to this community more. so I'm gonna try much harder to help out as well as just participate more in this forum. have a good night everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick update with 2 digi studies I did today; the first apple kinda went down the drain when I tried coming back to it after classes. this second one wasn't actually from an apple, which should explain why it's so monochromatic and it's shape isn't that great. either way was good practice, learning my way around painter little by little.

oh yea love the smilie that's been added hehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your figure drawings are really smooth, something I'm really trying to achieve with mine. Those animations in the second to last post are really cool too, I love the soccer one.

One crit: The eyes on that Singer portrait study are definitely not lining up, but that's hard to judge without seeing the ref.

Overall great stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    crashMMVII - thanks buddy, much appreciated just keep studying the figure and things will continue to fall into place; still falling into place for me, but I feel like every bit helps. I definitely agree with ya on the Sargent study; the person's head was a bit tilted but I think I just dropped the eye too far in general. gotta get more accurate when doing preliminary sketches! hehe thanks once again for the comment, gonna go stop by your book!

--

well, the internet died here for most of the day so I wasn't able to update yesterday.. I also ended up eating the apple I was going to paint. anyhoo I have a really tiny jump loop I did in class the other day.. will have something a bit more substantial next time (I hope).

we were supposed to take a loop and mess around with it in After Effects, so I just made this guy jumpin in flash. was also messing with smear animation (or limited animation as I've also seen it called), and I kinda like the way it came out. either way here it is:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man. Looks like you strongly want to go back into regular posting . The gestures looks great as usual.
    When you feel like having problems with proportions like in this Sargent study, use "Flip horizontal" to see the pic with fresh eye. It's good to have this function assigned to some key. The hues and values look good. Now you need to paint like this from imagination.

Few about those apples and painting in general. Every colour and value on canvas affect the one next to it. In order to see the relationship between these things you need to cover all background with something more neutral. It's harder to see values beacause such complete white outshines everything around and your object is taken out of context.
    I think it's good to just treat one colour as single in value. There's more about that in Ron Lemen tutorial - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84105

As for animations. Wow. You improved like three times since last update. I like the second one with the character yawning.

Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what kind of brush are you using in painter for that sargent study? looks awesome. nice animations too, but maybe on the last one you posted there should be a little more anticipation? (doesn't know anything about animation)

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Farvus - thanks for the advice as always yea I'm trying to get back into more regular participation on the forums, partly because I know it can only help me. ya know I always forget about flipping an image; I see people do it and think 'oh yea that's a good idea, I should do that more' but never do haha. ahh well will try to remember for the future... I've looked through that Ron Lemen tut before, but primarily at the first part on sketching; will definitely give it a look over, so thank ya once again.

hp - that brush is actually a variation on the simple water brush under digital watercolor; I picked it up from trevor here on the forums I'm pretty sure (so all credit goes to him!). pretty much just switched the mark type over from digital wet to cover (flat cover) and then I just screwed around with the resat/bleed after that. closest to something mimicking PS's brush imo... I agree with you on the animation, definitely could have used more of a set up.

--

back with a quick update; did a digi study of a banana and through a step by step of it together... realized that showing the process in which I approached it might help others dissect it a bit? either way here they are hehe:

oh and I did angle the banana up on top of a cloth that was draped, which is why the shadows look so funky. I probably should have rendered them a bit more, but I was primarily using them for accuracy purposes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been a few days; betcha thought I wasn't gonna be back! oh ya didn't? woops sorry about that...

well, didn't get to do any digi studies lately; been doing lots of animation stuff and general class work. got an animation wip, as well as some pen sketches. doing a pen and ink illustration for a final in one class.. been studying some of the older greats like Charles Dana Gibson and James Montgomery Flagg, among others. so I have a sheet of studies as the first image, then some doodles and subway drawings.

aand the animation; we were supposed to animate one of four emotions and I went with anger. kinda silly overall, but I like the way it's coming... gotta revise it for Tuesday so there are things I'll be adding/fixing. all comments and crits welcome and appreciated!

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...n_angry_01.flv

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Onir. I like that banana. The process also seems fine.

As for the doodles. I think you are on the right path with contours but shading could be better. Those tiny faces remind me a bit of Rembrand's ink sketches. Check out his work. He's got amazing style. I tried to learn something his drawings but he's just beyond my understanding .

I seriously don't know how to crit your animations beacause I don't have any experience in this stuff. I remember that in Bugs Bunny cartoons when character was about to explode with anger or any other strong emotion, there was some short pause before it. I guess it was intended so that the viewer puts more attention in what is going to happen. Maybe I'm wrong. I think you need to find someone on this forum who is good at animation so that he could give you better advice. I've read somewhere that there might be some animation section here on CA in future. If it's true then you'll extremely profit from that .

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seems like you've got a lot of speed when it comes to these large quantities of rough sketches, which are all very enjoyable. The speed is very admirable- its what I've got to work on. Great work!

-Andy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Farvus - thanks for the advice as always man I completely hear ya on the shading; I really need to sit down and do a longer study in value with pencil or pen or something... would help alot I'd imagine. you're definitely right on the animation as well; I can always improve my timing as well as my exaggeration, and it's definitely needed in expressing emotions clearly. my teacher actually wants me to really push this further, and I'll probably try to assuming time allows me to. will definitely check out Rembrandt's ink drawings as well, don't think I've seen much of them!

majinpunisher - haha well thank ya much man I think it helps to experiment and explore different ways of approaching things; I've done alot of "bean" torso people and I'm kinda slowly adapting it with other things I'm picking up. partly to find what works out anatomically and partly to find out what works for me personally. so in the end I tend to just do a crap load of small, quick sketches rather than longer, more thoughtful ones I guess.. probably a double edged sword thanks once again!

--

gleh, been a week eh? well that'll change! been swamped lately, started my independent study half a semester early, as it'll allow me to get ideas to work on for another class a bit earlier on. it's gonna increase my workload a good amount, but it'll help me graduate on time. on a plus note, I've got my courses ready for next semester and I plan to sign up for Painting I I know basic acrylic stuff, but I imagine a full class on painting will help alot. anyhoo...

small update, just wanted to keep the ball rolling. got some junk sketches as well as my second pass at the anger animation. my teacher wants me to really work on exaggerating the actions of the character so assuming I get time, I'll probably have another pass up at some point.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...n_angry_02.flv

I've been lax in replying to people as well as just posting in general. will definitely pick up the pace soon; probably gonna head off to bed now though gnight everybody!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches. You know... your animations have quite distinctive style. It's great to watch you give them more personality with every new update.
    Can't wait to see first art from painting class .

Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice sketches, i can see you mad allot of progress since your first pages, keep up the good work

PORTFOLIO
    My Sketchbook
    Leslie Van den Broeck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Farvus - thank ya man, cool to hear that a certain personality is showing through my work hehe. just happy I can have fun with it all ya know yea I'm definitely looking forward to my painting class; gonna be a little while until then (don't start it until after Jan. 21st) though

ravenslayer - thanks buddy

--

real quick reply, been far too long since I've posted. busy end of the school year so just trying to pull through it; will post more often though! here we go:

been playing Mass Effect (great game!) and one of the characters you get had a cool mask/overall design. sooo was inspired and kinda did a portrait of her.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...pace_01_02.flv

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my. I didn't notice you posted some work. The last one looks interesting. It needs more middle tones though beacause the form is hard to read. Also try to avoid central composition beacasue it can look a bit static.

As for the animation. Of course big progress like in your every update with animation. Character interacting with background and moving in all dimensions is something new in your stuff. Keep posting it. I like to see how it gets more advanced .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Farvus - hey man, thanks for the advice; I agree with ya completely on the digi piece.. kinda become one of those things where ya like it less and less each time you look at it lol. definitely alot of problems, but it was fun when I did it. and don't feel bad about not seeing the update hehe, I've been really slack with updating and checking the forums in general. finally updating because I realized I actually have something more than my final animation to show lol.

--

been a month to the day, and it's a new year too! hope everyone had a great new years and I with everyone the best for 2008! anyhoo, after my last post things kinda hit the fan with my classes as finals approached; don't have alot of the things I did then with me, but I do have 2 final pieces for two different classes.

the first one is for my illustration survey class; we had to take a few influences and work them into our piece. I illustrated Oliver Twist and I used Golden Age pen and ink illustrators as my influence (Heinrich Kley, James Montgomery Flagg, etc.). didn't really hit the mark with my influences, and my teacher said my figures are all stiff and uneducated sooo lol. I agree with him completely and kicks like that have helped me get back into drawing to improve again. anyway here is the illustration, I apologize for the large size:

and this is my final animation for my Animation Basics II class. I drew and voiced the guy with the box head, and my partner and I foleyed and composited the sound (though my partner was nice enough to do the vast majority of the application and syncing of the sound to the footage since I needed to study for an exam the next morning). I'm the guy with the ice cream at the end as well hope the quality is okay and here it is:

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2..._final_avi.flv

and there are no other parts to it just to clarify lol. alrighty though I'll be back asap, hopefully with some more consistent updates.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, man. Where are new illustrations and studies ? The last sketch has some nice poses but maybe too central composition. Right now evertyhing leads to hat of this guy in the middle.
    The last animation is really nice although the sound at 00:15 made a hole in my skull . Hope to see more of this stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Farvus - Hey, happy you liked the animation yea that really loud sound came as something of a fluke lol but we liked it and went with it. I agree with you on that illustration, definitely didn't compose it as well as I should have. Thanks for your input either way.

--
    Just posting in here really quickly to say that I've started a new sketchbook here, and I don't plan on updating this one any longer. it's been a great show of progress and I'm happy with what I've done but it's time to start fresh thanks for all the feedback here guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    posemaniacs.com, thanks for the web link and i love ur sketchbook work especially gesture poses

Last edited by WIIXD; July 15th, 2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: add more comment about his work

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Members who have read this thread: 1