Sketchbook: Onir's sketchbook (ended) - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster - I'm with you! let's buckle down and solve this problem! lol thanks for the comments man, I really need to do more self portraits to start fixing that problem.

Farvus - wow thanks man! I really appreciate that and you're right, I really did skip alot of construction time when I made that. I kinda just thought as long as I get a decent outline I can fill the details in and be fine. also, though I always read about looking strictly at tones, but I can't say I usually do (I always forget! lol). again thanks man, I'm definitely going to keep those tips in mind next time.

hpslashluvr - hmm good point on the darks, I'm a bit timid when it comes to hitting extremes when it comes to contrast. and yea my head isn't an oval like that lol not sure how that happened... in terms of my hair, it's actually like that lol, it's all spotty for some reason (clumps together until it starts to curl up). but you're right, I guess I should be a bit more careful with it.

--
    hmm 10 days again... yea I haven't done much that I can scan in lately (camera is still being weird) and I've had a group project that's been sucking up my time. it's due tomorrow though, and we start our solo final projects soon so I'll have a bit more time when that comes around. I'ma start trying to update often again.. feeling bad that I haven't posted much art lately.

I've got some small things today though, just to help get some momentum going. first is a little photoshop sketch I did a while ago and forgot about

then a page with heads; the top 3 heads are from ref but the eyes and the rest aren't. was trying to get used to sketching the head shape quickly for gestures

a little watercolor tree I did the other day

and lastly a sketch of the courtyard of the Boston Public Library. I bought another brush pen recently, so it's nice using one again.

I shall return asap.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice tree and nice courtyard.....

keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster - thanks man.

--

back with a few things, so let's get to it:

first is a self portrait I did in like 15 - 20 minutes last night

this is the line drawing I did for today's sp; though it doesn't look too like me I kinda liked it

here is my job painting over it; I really need to get better with digital painting lol. I don't like the way it came out at all

last is a small sketch I did a while ago (same time I did that courtyard actually; I kinda forgot I had done it)

alrighty be back with more substantial stuff soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice pen sketches. about your self portrait, watch which way your brush goes. unless you smooth it just looks muddy that way. you might want to use some of those harder brushes like a coit pen to put in some texture (check farvus's sp thread). i think the main problem b/w the sketch and the painting is the eyes...you can leave out the white highlight or refine it and i think it'll look better. also maybe put some highlight on the nose area/chin.

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hp - good advice thank ya! I always forget that brush strokes really matter in digital painting (occasionally in traditional painting as well). I hear ya about the highlights as well; I guess I really didn't put alot of time into them which probably was a bad idea. things to think about for the future though.

--

back again with 2 more things; I got really motivated today, gonna try to push my self alot from now on (hopefully I can keep up any momentum I might create). I have a quick self portrait I did before bed last night (probably like 15 minutes or so again), and a quick still life I did before class today (again another 15 - 20 minute drawing).

I kinda like the way it came out, though I am darker than that

really rough, but I think it came out alright

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice glass mug.... cool sp too....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great update. I dig the sketch of the Boston Public Library and self portrait done with digital medium. I think the earlier version with lines looks better (especially the eyes).
    Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster - thanks bud.

Farvus - thanks man, yea I really like the line version of that sp alot better. gotta do more of those, even if just to help get better with digital painting.

--

alright, got a bunch of stuff today. I had an interview at AIB (the school I'm looking to transfer to) on friday and it went really well in my opinion. all that's left is to send in my portfolio and because I need to do that, I asked my friend to take pictures of my work for me. she did and so I have the bigger things I've worked on the past little while that I couldn't scan in! lol... not all of my portfolio is up here (a few things I've used are posted here already); yea though onto the images..

these first 2 are storyboards I've done for class; the first is the storyboard for the cupcake animation that's earlier in this thread, and the second is for my final project.

these are 2 still lifes I did; the first in watercolor and the second in charcoal. the watercolor one I was really happy with, despite the fact that I screwed up the initial wash on the cloth itself.

the next are two environment pieces I did, the first in graphite and the second pastel. the waterfall one I actually did because of a few things: a) I like waterfalls and b) when I initially applied to the school I'm at now (Northeastern) I did a piece of a waterfall in pastels that I got from a picture. I really liked the surreal look that came with it so I figured why not do another one, this time without a ref.

and these last ones aren't portfolio but recent things I guess. the first is another 10 - 15 minute sp before bed I did a few days ago and the second is a bunch of poses I did for my final animation animatic. I wanted my character to be more of a mannequin so I could do more gestural stuff with em. one or two are copied/mirrored because I needed them for different spots.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bah double post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that watercolor still life is awesome! and the last sp is kicking ass....

good storyboards....great thumbs...

sweet graphite enviro, and pretty ands surreasl pastel one...
    the only crit I would say is in the charcoal still life... great job with the forms, but I feel the lighting seems off...those cast shadows are very dark and the side of the peppers in the shadow are kinda light...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo onir,

good stuff on the watercolour still life~! dunno what else to comment since i haven't touched watercolours for 13 years or something already... heheh

for the graphite pic of the peppers/fruits... do a quick perspective check? The way the peppers are set up, makes it look like the vanishing is almost behind them... horizon line about there.

but the board which they're placed on is angled to look like the horizon line is WAY ABOVE. Also, the shadows look as if there's a strong light from behind. But the board isn't casting a strong shadow (drapery below should be quite dark). Am guessing also the peppers are different in colour, but since you're working in grayscales... fudge that a bit? Keep them about the same values? The centre pepper has too strong a reflected light at the bottom compared to the other two.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think that the watercolor still life is awesome!!!

for your storyboard though, it's kind of hard to tell but it looks like maybe you should use some more interesting angles.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice stuff. I espacially dig the watercolour and graphite enviroment ( and admire your patience for rendering such big planes of dark value ).
    Try using stronger light to get some distinct shadows on your face. This way it will be much easier to draw self portrait.

Last edited by Farvus; November 8th, 2006 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster - thanks! yea I definitely see what you mean about the peppers still life; you and machzero kinda made me go when I looked at it again lol. the lighting is definitely off, I may have noticed it and tried to compensate while working on it.. ah well live and learn. thanks again for the compliments and crits.

machzero - hey man, it's been a little while! thanks for the critiques, the note on the perspective of the peppers still life really got me lol; NO idea how I didn't notice that before. also yea, the peppers were different colors (one green, one red, one yellow) and I think I concentrated too much on that fact instead of just watching the light on them... all things I need to make sure I think about for next time hehe. thanks again man!

hpslashluvr - thanks! yeaaa when we had a critique in my animation class, they also said I really wasn't looking at things as a cinematographer would and that I should try to spice up my shots. so yea that's something I've been (and will continue) working on.

Farvus - thanks haha yea I kept having some problems with the large wash on the watercolor piece, so I'm happy it came out like it did. good advice on the lighting for the sp, gonna have to give that a try next sp I do.

--

alright nothing major lately, just been working on my final/ideas for the male calendar (I really need to get on that)/waiting for any word from AIB. mostly just doodles and stuff this time around, so here we go:

face doodles, all non-ref.

some small studies; mostly from reference but a few non-reffed doodles in there

some mannequins with my brushpen; partly done for warmup

and some things I did earlier; I liked the top guy as he was and since I went dark with the lines on his torso I figured it'd be best to leave him be

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, back with a few more things.. my animation final has been taking up alot of my time so I haven't had time to do alot of sketching, sadly. I'm tryin though! got some little animations today, things I'm using in my final. On a side note, this past Tuesday I got accepted into AIB (The Art Institute of Boston) and I'll be transfering there next semester! I can definitely say I'm looking forward to it on we go though...

these animations are of that mannequin I had poses of the last 2 posts. he's my main character in my final; basically, he jumps into a dungeon of sorts and has to get through the obstacles ahead of him. it's mostly shown from a side view (was going for the side-scroller type of thing) and has some groovy funk music playing with em. the speed is a little fast on some of these and the lines are pretty jumpy, but I think they came out alright.

jumping,

brushing himself off and looking around (looks like he's just going crazy looped though),

throwing a stone (the throw came out really wierd, gotta go back and tweek that),

and a walk cycle. it's pretty stiff over all, but he doesn't walk too much in the end.. probably redo it though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    went to the Boston public garden today and drew various things. was nice to draw outdoors again... school stuff has kinda impeded on any of that (plus it's been raining alot lately).

only thing I really wish I had done was brought a pencil with me; was nice to do pen sketches though.. really need the practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool animations you have done. I know its very hard so I think its very good stuff you have achieved

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting animations, but watch the proportions. very nice sense of movement though! nice face studies in the post before too, just watch your 3/4 views.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    motives - thanks! glad you like em

hpslashluvr - yea I guess he proportioned kinda odd now that you mention it.. gonna have to keep an eye out for that on future ones. thanks for the comments!

--
    gonna keep updating as often as I can hehe, something small for now. needed to warm up my hand earlier, so I decided to do a little painting in PS; figured it'd help warm me up and get some practice in with digital. soo I went to the reference subforum, found this, and tried my hand at it. all comments, critiques and help accepted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maybe use a splatter brush or some kind of texture brush to play up the texture of the mts. i know mr. blonde just did some kind of environment painting...maybe look at that. other than that, maybe just sharpen up the edges...colors look great!

i need to keep updating too...

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hpslashluvr - thanks! I'll have to give Mr. Blonde's book a look at, probably help alot. I suck with textured brushes so I really do need to use em a bit more to get better with em.. you've been updating a good amount lately and that actually inspired me a bit to update more. time to update is hard to get at times and as long as you keep drawing that's all that really matters in the end. just update when you can

--

alright, a digi piece I did primarily late last night from a reference image. I think it came out alright; looking back at it now I think I messed up the values in spots but overall I'm pretty happy with it. I was able to do the clouds alright, but texturing the landscape and water wasn't working out so well. I'll probably screw with it a bit more to see what I can come up with.

I also had a short animation clip that's gonna be in my final, but photobucket isn't letting me put up any videos. I'm gonna be working on some more stuff tonight and will hopefully update sometime later. if I don't though, a Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With those animations, you made every motion even between frames... realize that the faster someone moves, the farther they go per frame. A person walking might move x pixels per frame, whereas someone running will be moving 7x pixels per frame. Like, in a pitch. The slow, dramatic wind up (let's say 12 frames) will take more frames than the 100 mph throw, which happens over about 3 frames, even though more distance is covered. Hope that isn't too confusing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff. I like the animations. What program did you use to make them?
    The painting with mountain and strange cloud looks nice too. I don't fully agree about splatter brush. Let's rather concentrate on one thing at a time. This way it will be easier and faster to learn .

Keep updating. I gotta do it more often too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justin - gaaaah ya know I didn't even think about that, but that makes perfect sense! definitely will be keeping that in mind for my future animations. thanks!

Farvus - thanks man, glad ya liked the animations and stuff. I actually did the animations in photoshop and imageready. I drew everything in photoshop, each frame on different layers, then I just made frames from the layers in imageready (you can do it in PS CS2 as well, just gotta go under window and bring up the Animation window; just can't save it as a gif or export the frames as individual files in PS from what I can tell). for the digi paintings I'll probably stick primarily with the round brush like you're suggesting for the time being, just to get more comfortable painting with it. I do wanna mess with textures at some point though, but that can wait I guess. thanks again!

--

okay back with a few small things, mostly from my trip back to Boston from NJ. the first one was done while I was riding NJ transit up to NY Penn Station; just drew these bridges and sites I saw going up. the bottom right sketch was supposed to be as we were going underground, buut I kinda saw it for a second and it came out rather unintelligible.

the left are gestures I did while at Penn Station and the right is just a doodle I ldid that I kinda liked.

and this is the animation I was trying to post last time; just a part of my final so it probably will seem rather random, but yea any feedback on it is definitely appreciated. Here ya go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice life drawings but maybe try not to rush too much. It's sometimes hard to figure out what's going on.
    As for your stickfigure animations. I'm really impressed. Would like to give you some advices but I'm not experienced in this kind of stuff. Maybe when he's in the air, make him leap and land a bit more faster to get more dynamic acrobatics.
    Some time ago I was interested in animation and even done few hand drawn in flash but that's all. I was also searching for some good free program for hand drawn animation but couldn't find anything satisfying. I knew that PS CS had something but didn't paid much attention to it. Now I see it's actually really good and I had PS CS all this time .
    I wish I could make some good animated movies but at the same time learning it would take so much time that I couldn't give 100% of attention to my concept art skills. However I was recently thinking a lot about this Metal Gear Solid - Digital Graphic Novel trailer (check it out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pANqT21056E) It feels like something between comic book and animated movie. Strange combination but it was really cool to watch. I might try doing my own digital graphic novels just for fun.

Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo onir,

in the quick sketches, balance out observation and stylisation. Even better if you can recall some simple perspective from various studies. For example, the support members of the bridges are gonna "get closer" to each other as they fade into the distance.

the figure gestures are gooood... gonna end up coming out on paper when you draw from imagination later.

for the digi reference pics, I recall a neat trick I read from one of the forums here. You can drop the pic to grayscale, then auto-contrast to get the values correct. And you can blur the colour pic to the max or sample the palette to help you with the colours.

hey farvus,

the basic animation in imageready's been around since photoshop 5.5 i think (still haven't migrated to the newer photoshops yet) though CS2 might have tons more features. Another app to try out might be macromedia director... a bit more precise control, and I think it would make stuff quite similiar to the digital metal gear comics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think where he hits the wall it needs to have more of an impact. looks nice though! i still think his body shape changes too much but what do i know about animation...(NOTHING)

btw i love your little stick guy gesture thingy (on the bottom right)...it's very free flowing or something...

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff... yeah, the throw is kinda floaty, and I think you could make the jump snap more....

Sorry I've been MIA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Farvus - thanks man, glad ya liked the animations I guess I should have mentioned as well they outside of PS and Imageready I composited them over some really simple Illustrator stuff with After Effects. the project itself was actually an AE based project, I just didn't want to parent things like everyone else that MGS trailer is pretty crazy too, really well done; I'm sure you could pull out something like that if you tried too thanks again man!

machzero - thanks for the advice as always! I really need to start taking more of those things (i.e. the perspective thingy) into consideration when I draw. Also dropping a ref picture into grayscale then working from values is a really good idea, sounds like good practice.

hp - thanks! and you're absolutely right about the guy changing too much. my teacher actually got on me a bit about that when I showed the progress in class. I tried to fix alot of it in the final project, but I didn't have alot of time to redraw some of the things I would have wanted.

glikster - yeaa that throw came out a lot weirder than I would have wanted lol; I didn't get to change it in the final though (not enough time in the end) I'll probably revisit some of these at some point. nice to see you back though! I kinda disappeared myself for a while too...

--

boo at me for taking so long to update this. I apologize for that; I kinda started concentrating on my male pinup piece and my final project for school. my final came out pretty well I think, but my pinup piece not so much. I really just went about the entire pinup thing wrong; I can't say which is mine atm, so I'll post it here when I'm able to.

outside of that I really haven't done many serious drawings lately; I have some little sketches I did at the lab and other places. they aren't great but they're something; lemme know whatcha think.

I realized on these that I tend to drag the pen tip when I draw alot; gotta try and fix that..

and here's my final; quality dropped alot but the point gets across I'd say.
    http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...rent=Final.flv

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Onir, you are drawing quite a bit! heheh. also don't forget to do some quality long hr drawings just as much as sketches. what do u mean when u say drag? you lines are getting definitely cleaner, try not lifting your pen, it's a good way to get rid of the choppy lines. enjoy ur xmas mate!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1