Thanks

buying a new moniter... help ^-^

hey all, im gonna be buying a new moniter soon, and i dont know much if anything about this stuff, so i thought i'd ask you guys ^-^

i was thinking of buying the lovely apple 20" cinema display, but its £550 and maybe you guys know of some better ones.

i dont really have a preference, it just has to be good and look sexy ^-^

thanks.

peace
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I've been checking out some lcd monitors lately. If you're using a mac, then the apple cinema displays are great. Damn gorgeous babes. I'm very tempted to get one myself, but it seems that only the brightness is adjustable if it is connected to a PC. Another great choice is the Dell 24" panel. Good and cheap. http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_UltraSh...-31335738.html
    ...+1 exp

Thanks

Lightbulb

Hey cartoonfox, I recently invested in a couple of flat panel TFT displays after my brother recommended them.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=55183

That's it, AG Neovo 19" TFT ... of the two I got, one has a single dead pixel but it's hardly noticeable. They have great contrast/brightness/viewing angle, and also come with both VGA and DVI cables (a lot of TFT monitors don't ship with DVI cables!).

They're also pretty damn cheap for the size and quality. Check out the reviews, they get a hell of a lot of 5 stars.

I'm sure you could spend twice as much and get a slightly better display, but I really don't think it'd be worth the extra expense. Hell, buying two of these would be cheaper than an Apple cinema display, and you'd get more screen size (if your video card supports dual monitors ... you use a Mac, right? I have no idea how those things work )

I think they look pretty good ... there are prettier monitors out there, but you have to pay more for them.

Have a hunt around Ebuyer, their customer reviews are usually pretty accurate.

Getting new monitors is fun!

Thanks
    if your using an apple i can definetly vouch for the apple cinema display, tis excellent. But i dunno about using it in conjunction with a pc, your an apple person no?
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    hey thanks guys.

yes i use macs. which meens i probably will end up getting the apple 20", but the price tag of £550 is right at the top of my limit. i might not even be able to afford that one (damn i wish i could get the 30" *droools* ^-^)

thanks for the links, i'll check them out.

peace
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    I just got a new Dell 20.1" Ultrasharp LCD (Dell 2001FP) monitor a few months ago. If you're looking for an LCD monitor that runs in a native resolution of 1600x1200 (which was one of my requirements when buying my new monitor) then this is an extremely good choice for you. I didn't get any dead pixels in mine which is a very impressive thing for a 20" LCD monitor to do. However, this quality is not a "luck of the draw" kind of thing, as I am confident that all of Dell's other monitors are of the same quality. One thing that I must stress is that if you decide to go with a Dell LCD monitor make sure you buy an Ultrasharp. I know someone with a non-Ultrasharp and after they viewed mine they are disappointed in theirs in terms of the clarity and crispness of the display.

I had been doing graphic arts (logo and web design) for years on my 17" Sony Trinitron (CRT) monitor and was a bit apprehensive of buying an LCD monitor as most graphic artists advise you to stay with CRT. I have to say, however, that I am extremely happy with this LCD to the point that I have my CRT monitor turned off for everything except playing games. This is not due to the fact that LCD monitor can't play games, I play Guild Wars in 1600x1200 on the LCD all the time (which looks amazing), but rather due to the fact that scaling on the LCD produces a somewhat fuzzy image. If you decide to get this monitor you will need to run it in 1600x1200 although I don't think many people would find that to be a disadvantage in any way. The more space the better, right?

One other thing that I wanted to add was that I saw a 17" Planar LCD monitor yesterday and was not happy with how it looked due to its fuzziness. This Dell monitor is definately one that you should look into and buy if it meets your needs, it's really an amazing monitor. Plus Dell is always running special coupon deals, so if you can wait until one of those comes up you can order it online for a very good price.

EDIT: It looks like they have a deal going on right now, you can currently get more than $200 off it at: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...tegory_id=4058 You can also use this coupon code to get another $60 off: C07TR1WFGJ18SF

EDIT2: It looks like you can get the 2005FPW that fukifino suggested for even less than the 2001FP, so it all comes down to what you want in the monitor. Both of them have the same features as far as rotation and such go but the 2005FPW is wider: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...&page=external You can also use the same coupon to get another $60 off: C07TR1WFGJ18SF

In the end you could buy the 2001FP for $464.30 and the 2005FPW for $426.85.
    Last edited by Xenethyl; July 21st, 2005 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks
    Fox...get one of these:

buying a new moniter... help ^-^

Dell 2005FPW

It uses the same screen as the Apple Cinema displays, but is a bit cheaper. Plus, Dell often runs coupons on their site that bring the price of the monitor waaaay down (not sure how they work for the UK though). Here's a comparison of the two monitors.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    damn, i gota say im liking that dell one that can be turned sideways! but would it work on a mac? (or would the display just be sideways)

thanks for the response guys, looks like im gonna have to go hunting ^-^

peace
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    oh my that rotatable screen is sweeeet! hey, why not put it on layby if you cant afford it straight away?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonfox
    damn, i gota say im liking that dell one that can be turned sideways! but would it work on a mac? (or would the display just be sideways)

Hmm, not sure. I'll have to hook it up to my laptop to find out.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Sorry to bump up the old thread again, I got some question.

I plan to buy a 2005FPW, but I have some concern about the monitor and tablet compatibility. I have a wacom 6 x 8 intuos 2. As this monitor is widescreen, how do it map out with the tablet? Will I have problem with it? Also, in fukifino picture, this monitor can turn sideway. I wonder how it fit with the tablet too. Thanks
    Visit my website @
    www.Pencilkiller.com

My first published work
    www.Rhysmyth.com

Thanks
    Widescreen is no problem with a tablet. You don't really notice it... my laptop runs at 1680x1050, and the tablet just maps to the full screen, you get used to the movement being slightly squashed. As for rotating the monitor, you'd probably have to change the tablet's settings to Portrait and turn the tablet through 90 degrees whenever you rotated the monitor. Doesn't look like something you'd have to do a whole lot of the time, though.

Thanks
    This thread is a godsend. Would really love a 19-21" FD trinitron (had a 21" aperture grill CRT 1600x1200 with dvi when I was working at my Uni), but sony doesn't make them anymore.

Been using an old trusty 15" for the past year while shopping around for a LCD I could tolerate. Due to exhange rates, it's going to cost me 2/3rds of a month's salary, but the 2005FPW does look promising.

How's the colour on it? Is the black truely black? And how's the grayscale?

Thanks
    Personally I am still a fan of CRT monitors. They are getting much cheaper and if you lean to one side or the other, the picture never appears washed out.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Hey, about the dell monitors. I bought a computer from there, haven't got it delivered yet (Dell. sigh..). Anyways, I read some reviews on the monitor (it's a 20.1" LCD or TFT or whatever they're called) and it said that it had some flaws in colours and such. Nothing that would matter if you weren't working with art the review said.
    Since we're all into arts, anyone knows if it's really something to be bothered about?

I'm going to buy another monitor anyway. But I'm not sure whether to buy an flat, crt or an crt/trinitron monitor

.hugs
    Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - deviantart

Thanks
    im with figure2 here - same or better picture quality for half the price. with the money you save you can actually afford a good, and much needed, calibration device. or a second monitor of course...
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    I got a Dell Ultra Sharp 24" HD Widescreen 2405FPW and I have to say I like it better than the cinema screen I use at school. Check out my review on it here.

Thanks
    Fox...lemme tell you something.

If I were you....I wouldn't consider getting another display other than the new cinematic Apple Screens. Even if its damned, bloody, expensive. When I save enough I'll splash on one for sure. My school uses it, and its tooooo sweeeeet.

And its one of the very few SWOP certified screens and when its properly calibrated, you can soft proof your printouts on screen. The screen will give you a relatively close preview of what it would be like on a properly calibrated printer. Make sure you save your color profiles
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Thanks for the info, now I need to wait for a good coupon combo to get 2005FPW below $400 mark....
    Visit my website @
    www.Pencilkiller.com

My first published work
    www.Rhysmyth.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoP
    Widescreen is no problem with a tablet. You don't really notice it... my laptop runs at 1680x1050, and the tablet just maps to the full screen, you get used to the movement being slightly squashed. As for rotating the monitor, you'd probably have to change the tablet's settings to Portrait and turn the tablet through 90 degrees whenever you rotated the monitor. Doesn't look like something you'd have to do a whole lot of the time, though.
    Also, some news: Wacom now has a widescreen tablet if you want a more exact mapping with widescreen displays.

16:10 ratio http://www.wacom-europe.com/int/prod...lang=en&pdx=35

Thanks
    You can get a 22" (20" viewable area) Lacie electron 22 blue for about $700..i think. I forgot what I paid for mine. It's a big gigantic CRT, but for correct colors, it can't be beat. Alot of my pro-graphic design friends use em.
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*