Brush Opacity Settings

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Brush Opacity Settings

Hmm, I'm having a noob problem with Painter 7, maybe someone can help me out...

If I set my opacity level on a brush to less than 100%, I've noticed that when crossing over my stroke, it adds the color to itself. I've tried almost every brush in the package, and found that they all behave the same.

This behaviour is generally desirable, but, I would like to create a brush that works "Photoshop" style: ie) when I set my brush opacity to less than 100%, it doesn't add to the color of the stroke, unless I create a second stroke.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about here? Help!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Since Painter's brush variants all behave differently, how about telling us which brush category and variant you're using? Then we can have a basis to begin with and maybe help you set it so it will do what you want.

In the meantime, try this:

Lower the brush Opacity however much you want.

Click in the brushstroke with the Dropper tool to pick the color.

Move the Opacity slider back to 100% and paint. Now the stroke won't darken when it passes over itself or passes over another brushstroke.

Use a custom Color Set and add colors as you work so you can always use them again:

In the Art Materials palette's Color Set section's lower left corner, click the left icon and choose Create New Empty Color Set.

When you find a color you want to save, click the plus icon to add it to the Color Set.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the response,

A prime example of a brush/variant that behaves this way is the "Pens>Flat Color" brush .

I have actually been working in the way that you suggest, (Making temp swatches, grabbing colors & painting at full opacity) I was just hoping that I could create a custom brush that would mimic the Photoshop opacity behaviour, because it would just be so much simpler...

/Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I thought I'd created a brush that would do what you want a while ago but can't seem to find it or remember what settings I used.

Instead of the roundabout method of finding the right opacity, picking the color with the Dropper tool, then saving it into a custom Color Set, why not just pick a color with the right value to begin with?

One color at 10% opacity is the same color picked in the right spot from the top edge of the Saturation/Value triangle.

If you don't understand what I mean (and you probably do),:

1. Pick a fully saturated color (move the small circle to the right point of the Saturation/Value triangle in the Colors section).

2. Paint a 10% Opacity brushstroke using the Pens' Flat Color variant.

3. Hold down the Alt key (Windows) or Option key (Mac) and click the brushstroke to pick the color (where it is not darkened by crossing over itself).

4. Take a look at the Saturation/Value slider. Notice that the small circle has simply moved up the top edge toward white.

With a little practice, you can pick the colors you want in the first place, paint with 100% Opacity and not worry about overlapping brushstrokes becoming darker.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jin,

Thank you for all of the replies, I appreciate all of the great tips re: color picking, but what I really want is a ¨shading¨ brush, that quickly allows me to simply wash over an area with 10% opaque blue (shade), and not have my strokes cross over each other so that it gradually becomes PURE blue...

For example, say I have blocked out the shape of a character, and put a tattoo on his arm. Half of the tattoo is in my light source, and half of it is in shadow. If I simply pick a color (skin tone shadow color = blue in this case) and paint over my area, all of the tattoo details will be washed away by the color picked shade, or I have to ¨paint around¨ them.

So, what I´ve been doing in the meantime, is, create a new layer, paint in shade (blue) over my shadowed areas, and then set that layers opacity to 10%, and merge it down... but it gets really tedious, especially for speed paintings. I just want a brush that will do it based on my brush opacity!

Again, thanks for the responses... Appreciated!

/Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again,

This sounds like a situation where putting your tattoo on a Layer would (have been?) a good idea. Then you could paint below it without affecting the tattoo at all.

It's still not too late to do that, if you take the time to select and lift the tattoo to a Layer. Or make a larger selection, lift that to a Layer, then edit the lifted area to remove the unnecessary parts around the tattoo.

If the tattoo is a solid color, that would make it even easier to separate from the background left on the lifted selection:

Pick the tattoo's color.

Use Select > Auto Select, Using: Current Color.

Invert the selection.

Use Ctrl/Command+X to delete the extra stuff.

You might want to feather the selection by 1 pixel first.

Another way would be to lift the selection to a Layer, then:

In the Masks section, highlight the Layer (name) Mask.

Leave the Mask's Eye icon open.

Pick white as your color.

Use the Airbrushes' Digital Airbrush and adjust Opacity as needed, then paint to hide the extra stuff around the tattoo.

Hope this helps.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, somebody did run into it. Maybe now there is an option. On the irc channel, there werent anybody around who could answer.
    So here I am. This guy had the same problem and I'm posting a picture for him.
    Tool: Scratchboard Tool (default)

Name:  scratchboard tool painter 90.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  31.4 KB

1. Is there a brush option so I can draw around on the canvas with 10% opacity without creating an extra layer?
    ("how i want it" was done like drpolygon's "create a new layer, paint (...) and then set that layers opacity to 10%, and merge it down")

2. The same shitty behavior creates nr.2 if the line is drawn slowly. No way around it?

EDIT

Nr.2 can be partly solved by setting "Damping" to 100% in brush settings but it slows painter down alot. Setting "Damping" to 80, 90% is a nice compromise.

Last edited by paran0id; April 6th, 2008 at 10:49 AM.
    [] sketchbook [] [nsfw]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, i'd like this too.

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Actually this has been answered more than once. In fact, I've answered this a few times. Photoshop is not Painter and Painter is not Photoshop. You're trying to use the PS method of sample at low opacity and this is Painter. This does not work. This is not "Shitty behavior" but think about what Painter is supposed to be? Natural Media emulator. If it did what you're doing it's not doing anything different than other digital programs like Photoshop.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=112843

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, but i'd like that too so I won't have to switch between photoshop and painter (

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.