Sketchbook: Update- 8th Sep *Links fixed* - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Update- 8th Sep *Links fixed*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these doodles are fucking amazing. you need a job as an artist. .like, um..now.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    slick stuff there Lukias,you do any life drawings(people,buildings,scenery) over there?,or just more conceptual stuff......you still on yer O.E?..or you back in New Zeal?..

ba bye..
    Rusty

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    metalwinds- thanks alot and yeah i wouldn't mind getting some cash to sketch.

Rusty- yep but not much i been a little lazy. Have done some concept pieces but none too much there either.
    Im here in Germnay.. off to Berlin this Thursday i think.. then to the Netherlands.. I think. Heh.

a collection of doodles I did back in NZ, done when waiting for things to scan or web pages to load.
    The slightly larger ones are the actual size of all of them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow

u fuckin rock so goddamn much!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is the single most amazing thread I've seen in a looooong time. So skilled and so creative and original. Amazing! :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't see a single thing to critique in all of your drawings! (Even your "doodles" are amazing...) So, I'll just join your line of admirers... wow!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! did u do those with a ball point pen? it looks like it to me, i luv ball point pens! i luv yur stuff man

K!erston

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    !! I had been holding off a reply because I've been wanting to add all my new stuff when doing so.. but so far I have been unable to hook up a scanner + PC that will allow me to get a decent scan with decent adjustments.
    (I'm currently backpacking around Europe and getting hold of scanners etc has been difficult)

so no updates, which is annoying but I'll suss something as soon as poss.

darkcult- thankyou kindly

Dan.v.D. -Cheers dude!

Boom- Damn that means alot Boom.. I've always enjoyed your work.. since you was one of original Sijun crew(dunno if you remember me from back then, I posted little work)
    Cheers man!!

buffaloe- thanks alot

rubygen- Yep did those with the old Bic ballpoint, always I great tool when hanging somewhere without your pencils.. or just for a change of medium. Tis fun to draw with a agree
    Thanks Ruby

StephenC- I fully recomment trying little doodles like these, I got some cool idea's thanks to them.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I need my Lukias fix.

I need more I tell you

MOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRREEEEEE!!!!!!

:realmad:

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is why i look up to you.
    meta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well then!!.. first of all, cheers I.was.ink and metaphysiks, thanks for the comments!

OK so finally and many thanks to Windowlicker(an Eatpoo forum member who I hooked up with here in Stockholm while on my travels) I have got my latest scanned and uploaded.

The scanner I used doesn't pick up all the levels correctly and all the images are over contrasted. In order to even get some of the lighter tones to show I had to beef up the darks therefore resulting on the darks becoming almost ink black(which looks good in some places) and the light shades becoming midtones. It all looks sweet, but I would like you to keep in mind that there's larger tonal ranges on the originals.

Plus only now have i realised that I have made them all too small.. but they arn't too small.. I hope.. well they probably are for you high res users.

I'll show the boring stuff first...

ref sketches:

Pieces from mags that were lying around the place where I was sleeping in the lounge in London.

We had a spare 15 mins at work(in London), so I sketched one of the lads over a cuppa & a ciggy.

Did these while waiting for my lift from Berlin to Amsterdam(done a few weeks before the above ones)

These were done ages ago I think.. back in Auckland NZ at the zoo... except they don't have horses at the zoo... which is weird

These I sketches at the famous Zoo in Berlin.. the Lioness was getting frustrated and went a bit ape shit.. no doubt because of the insane boredom that comes from being in a tiny cage. She gave me a quick head on pose.. I think she was giving me the eye.. the evil eye "What the fuck are you lookin at?"

These were sketched at a lake in Frankfurt(before Berlin).. where there was naked Germans roaming with their pink bits all exposed.. oo err naughty. I didn't sketch any tackle though.

These I did yesterday along side Windowlicker at a park in Stockholm(I really have managed to place these out of order haven't I)

PORTRAITS:

I was seriously considering doing street sketching, portraits.. maybe still but i don't think so.. I would have to really get all the stuff necessary and persue it wholeheartedly. Plus I would like to be better before getting comfortable selling any of it.

This was the first serious one i did.. its of my best mates Dave's girlfriend in Frankfurt, Germany. 1 hour.

I then sketch her best friend Anni.. she was my special friend for the brief two weeks I was there. 1n half hours.

Now I was taking far too long on them and If I wanted to get down to the 30mins required for a portrait artist then I was have to get busy getting faster. So these next two were done in 12 mins(why twelve? just happened that way).
    Both were done outside London's National gallery.

I got on form after doing the above one, which as you can see doesn't have the same confidence as this one..

I wasn't feeling on form when I did this and the likeness wasn't very good

UNFINISHED
    These are unfinished pieces that won't get any more time.
    This is one of those ones where I have nothing particular to sketch so just event some random strange shit and let it evolve. A brain fart as some say.

Now this actually I wouldn't mind coming back to. I was happy with how it was coming but left it alone. I really like the face, although the tones don't appear right cos of the scanner.

The original idea was for some people on a train.. some freaky man thing lazily touching the women next to him and having her head tilted back with her soul exiting via her mouth. Yes all very pleasant I know. But somewhere into it it turned into a scene which appeard to have some strangers indulging in subway intimacy. Like they're all on Extasy and just about to get jiggy on the carriage floor.

Heres your classic bare chested man with head bowed, eyes all shrouded and riding a crazy beast.

... OK I've run out of time, I'm being very unsocialable, gotta watch a movie with Frida.

Will post more(quite a bit) with info re each sometime very soon I hope.

Hope you like this.. although I'd like to think that my unposted stuff is alot better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SWEET!

I'll be waiting for the rest. I like these, but I'm glad to see you say that the unposted stuff is better.

Can't wait...
    :fruit:

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are great. ^^ I especially like the portraits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome back and thanks for the inspiration your sketchbook provides. Hope you had a fine time in Germany (even if some of the folks keep lying around naked )

Fipse

<Insert witty remark here>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HOLY SHE-YITTT,now thats what im talkin bout!!!!...great observation sketches,fantastic portraits Lukias,id definatly pay for a portrait if i saw ye hunched on a bench somewhere,ive never have the balls to do that myself....
    Youve more than lived up to what i was expecting from yer update,dont ever quit ..

Ya,i hate goin to the zoo myself,seeing beautiful animals locked up like that just discourages me from drawin them...

Rusty

Last edited by Rusty; July 16th, 2003 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff Lukias, I like reading the little commentary by you above the images. The life drawing balanced with the freestyle is great.

What type of work do you do that your able to travel so much? just curious because I think an artist needs to travel and be abLe to see the world and observe, something I really need to do.

Keep em coming makes me want to draw.

J.P.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :chug:
    meta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I.was.ink -thanks bud, heres a few more..

Iiori- cheers

Fipse- Yeah Germany was awesome, I'm hoping to head back there sometime.. no idea when though.
    Thanks alot

Jnorish- thanks

Rusty- Mate stoked to hear from you!!. Even more stoked to hear that you'd buy one of my portraits.. you know, when I come back to NZ I might hold you to that!.
    Mate this update hasn't finished, theres more stuff coming, even some art purely influenced by one of my inspirations.. Rusty is his name.
    (Yeah the only reasons I can justify Zoo's is so people can gain an awarness and appreciation for animals, thereby supporting them in their natural enviroments)

TARGETE- I don't work.. I worked solid for 3 years as a tech support geek, saving all the while so I could travel all over Europe. I hope to keep traveling.. working odd jobs, traveling etc. My pencils and paper are my bests companions.
    Thanks for dropping in.. hope you like these next lot

meta- :chug: back at ya

This should have gone up with the other ref pieces..
    Twas the day I left home(NZ) the plane was delayed 45mins so what better oportunity than to sketch at the departure lounge. All ref'd except for the girl at top left, thats made up.

CONCEPT STUFF:
    OK these are in almost in exact order of appearance

Various page(the girl was inspired by the ref sketching at the airport)

Really wish all these sketches were larger, the definition and detail is lost, especially on the large fella's face.

Probably one of, if not my favorite face to date(the girl), again, tis a pitty its not larger.

One of the pieces I do when I want to get expressive, often trying to get accross moody nastyness.

Playing with heads.. and the occasional mutant.

MY FIRST REAL CARTOON ATTEMPTS!!
    Rusty's work had inspired me, so I thought I try doing something at the other end of the spectrum. The first two were the most fluent(mid top and bottom left) and I sketched both in under 5 mins each(plus a couple more mins for darks and tightening). Cartoons can be fun yaa!

These ones are pretty shabby and god that girl head is shite.

Another Rusty inspired piece, I used my finger to smudge it, then got hold of a smudge stick and worked over it, though my sticky finger had made some bad gradients unrectifiable.

I have several more pages but again I have to go, someones waiting for me, got another movie to watch...
    update soon..

Last edited by Lukias; July 17th, 2003 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Always a pleasure to come and see what's new!

:cool:

Jester

Last edited by jester; July 18th, 2003 at 02:52 AM.
    Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FUCKen Hell,you just dont quit..lol...just keeps gettin better an better...

Fantastic observation stuff Luke,youve flushed my shit down the toilet with those cartoony style ones.lol,that NAM/WW2 vet lookin guy kicks big wobbly butt cheek.

definatly a new level i have to aim 4 now.
    BTW...is that a brown pencil youve used on some of those?,..PS edit?..,and yep if you re in the city or whatever ill definatly have a drawing sesh with ya..

Rusty

Last edited by Rusty; July 17th, 2003 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    brain fart you say!!!!
    I would say this is brain diarheaaaaa!!!!
    and I mean that in a good way!
    duude this is the kind of work I like seeing and drawing myself....I just wish I had a fraction of the talent you do for your monsters.
    I'll keep an eye for you from now on....I hope we get to see some more of your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More sweet stuff, I like pages 3 and 6 the most, superb rendering.You lucky dog traveling and drawing, what better else could an artist do.

Keep em coming man.

J.P.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some wicked stuff you got here, lukias. glad to see youre still drawing a shiteload when youre traveling. not much to say because all of the pics look really sweet.. .so keep up the amazing work. ..as usual.

peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are awesome. I think I've fallen in love with your hair :love:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jester- thankyou, glad you enjoy stopping by

Rusty- eh? Mate your cartoon work shits all over mine, yours is hands down better.. no modesty involved. Ming is rather basic in comparison I think. But I'm just learn'n the ways.
    Naa its all standard graphite penicls, I just adjust that tones in PS for effect.
    Hope you like these latest ones mate!

sepulveda- Hey I really dig the kind words, thanks alot, always a pleasure to now someone likes my work
    (theres more work here for ya)

TARGETE- Yeah right now my life is top shelf, best 2 months of my life since I left New Zealand and I consider myself lucky(as should all other artists) to have something I can do with a couple of basic tools. Its a hell of a handy hobby/gift.
    Thanks man, hope you dig the different styles I've got coming.

metalwinds- Hey cheers mate, always a pleasure to hear from you

Spacey- My hair... why.. why thank you. Maybe its the aloe based conditioner that I use. It really gives great volume and bounce.

OK some more.

This page is a dedication to Rusty, the smudge stick master.
    (I damn forgot to write it on the actual page.. well do next time I'm at a scanner eh)

WARHAMMER 40,000 influences:
    While staying out in West London, there was about 8 people living there, one of the guys turns out to be a Warhammer 40,000 player. You know little hand painted figurines etc..
    He has these manuals and what not.. about 25 of them. All n all theres some OK artists but there was about 3-4 stand out guys, some of the work was damn amazing. A couple of the styles had that really hurried, messy energetic style with some overlays of darker defining lines to give it a nice tight balance.
    Anyway these next few pages are my attempt in that style. Was a interesting experience, tis nice to go for something a bit different from my norm.

JSWEET influences:
    Jsweets thread got resurfaced and a good thing it did cos the inspiration flowed straight away. I started with the line sketch of the girl(top left) which is in the vein of the work he was posting. I then kinda stuck in that mode though some sketches seem to develop into slightly different styles as I go.

This page(except for the birds eye of the girl) was all done with a 2H, its interesting and quite different when working in pure light tones. Though because the tones wern't picked up in the orginal scan I had to up the contrast so it appears in a midtone.

One of my first attempts a getting some technical gadgetry into a pic(I remember Lung Bug asking me whether I had done any before), it wasn't pre planned but it evolved this way. I left it pretty messy.. as you can see.

Caution.. naughtyness!!!!!! The naked girl was more a test of position/perspective.. she just happens to be starkers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So fucking good. :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    radical, always luv the messed up beasties. the lion-wolf nawing on the arm in the last post roolz! ~_~ nice work Lukias

K!erston

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4