Warrior Angel
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Warrior Angel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Warrior Angel

I'm kinda lost on what to do with his lower body. Any crits/ideas is welcome:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn, those are some impressive muscles and shading. very cool.

as for the lower body, could be what you have there, ruffles of cloth, or maybe some kind of energy ball. i thought it was some kinda skeletol structure on the lower half at first glimps. maybe mechanical? tentacles? smoke? options are endless.

of course, this just could mean your done or its as far as its going to go.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪ ₪₪₪₪
    "By the breaking of my thumbs something wicked this way comes."
    ₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪ ₪₪₪₪
    Download Nebezials Digital Painting Tutorial in PDF from my site. Located in the downloads section.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of angel types showing up here. Maybe have his legs all armored up in some hardcore death-knight fashion? It could be a cool contrast for his nekkid upper body.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice so far. For some reason I get the impression that he'd have hawk-like feet. You know, talons and all that, almost like a harpy.

No idea why that struck me...

Really diggin the wings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think compositionally I'd end it in a V thus forming a nice diamond shape; say maybe toes pointed downward like he's floating, perhaps one leg bent at the knee a bit . . .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome shading, dude. Especially on the feathers.

Looks like a Fallen Angel of some sort, he has a vicious design to it.

As for ideas, I don't know...possibilities ARE endless....

Long Tunic looks good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool wings.

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    have it so hes hovering in a kneeling position, with his legs bending away from the viewer. have one lower than the other so it doesnt look so symetrical. nice job so far!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice picture! For the lower part, you can add just muscle legs and some kind of boots (with metal part to be appropriate with his helm...). Or just finish that tunique that you already started... Anyway nice job so far!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

the wings are cinda strage but the whole pic rules

Redwolf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! I love the feathers . Some huge armored metal feet would have been cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree about taloned feet, either bird or reptillian. Perhaps they should be thicker and beefier than a birds, which would also open the option of armoring the tops of them.

I do have one crit on the wings though, this is something I see a lot in angelic drawings and paintings.

The upper feathers of the wing, as viewing from this angle, are the Contour feathers known as Coverts, and overlap the secondary Remiges(flight feathers). Generally, these Coverts cover almost the entire area occupied by the actual wing (muscle, bone and skin) and give an idea how beefy it is. When these feathers are as thin as the image shown here, it seems as if this mighty angelic warrior is flying on sticks. It is important to show the depth of this area, because without this area having more mass than the flight feathers, lift would not be produced and flight would not be possible (not that a man or woman could fly on wings less than 12 feet long a piece, but I'm not gonna split hairs on that, I like drawing angels too ^_^) Generally, the Converts cover almost 1/2 to 1/3 the wing towards the body, and sometimes drop to 1/4 towards the digits. They may not be as fun to draw as flight feathers, but are very important.

In your piece, the middle row of feathers are actually what would be the extremeties of coverts, and are drawn about right, cnsidering the sharp style of your piece, it would look a bit more realistic if the less detailed mass of coverts were to come out to cover about twice of what they do now, a little less the farther away from the body you get, with a outward arc where the wing elbow would be.

Other than that, I think it looks great, very solid and a good bit scary. Ohhh, maybe add some wicked bits of fabric whipping in the wind.

Some die just to live.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I'll draw some thumbnails with some of you suggestions and see what works best on him.

JoyMason, good insight you have there. I'll remember that for another winged drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad I could help a bit. ^^

Some die just to live.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd have the toes pointing down, legs together. Maybe do the skull thing on his belt of chain on the knees and boots with a feather texture. Sweet piece.

- Visions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fishnets and high heels?

Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yesh.. An update. Although it's been awhile since last post, but I haven't had much time to work on it:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice drawing.. but claws for nails... (feet)....
    its an angel? not a deaman angel... or what,....... but nice work!

Hive_minD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you were right on with original composition, don't leave the sides of the skirt too straight, ruffle them upwards a little bit as if he's floating, even if he's flying up sides would still be disturbed a bit.

wings texture is great but i think it bled over into the muscles a little too much, try to clean that up and see if it looks like it will suit your taste. this should transfer to colors very well.

i'm anticipating something cool, glhf!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyMason
    I have to agree about taloned feet, either bird or reptillian. Perhaps they should be thicker and beefier than a birds, which would also open the option of armoring the tops of them.

I do have one crit on the wings though, this is something I see a lot in angelic drawings and paintings.

The upper feathers of the wing, as viewing from this angle, are the Contour feathers known as Coverts, and overlap the secondary Remiges(flight feathers). Generally, these Coverts cover almost the entire area occupied by the actual wing (muscle, bone and skin) and give an idea how beefy it is. When these feathers are as thin as the image shown here, it seems as if this mighty angelic warrior is flying on sticks. It is important to show the depth of this area, because without this area having more mass than the flight feathers, lift would not be produced and flight would not be possible (not that a man or woman could fly on wings less than 12 feet long a piece, but I'm not gonna split hairs on that, I like drawing angels too ^_^) Generally, the Converts cover almost 1/2 to 1/3 the wing towards the body, and sometimes drop to 1/4 towards the digits. They may not be as fun to draw as flight feathers, but are very important.

In your piece, the middle row of feathers are actually what would be the extremeties of coverts, and are drawn about right, cnsidering the sharp style of your piece, it would look a bit more realistic if the less detailed mass of coverts were to come out to cover about twice of what they do now, a little less the farther away from the body you get, with a outward arc where the wing elbow would be.

Other than that, I think it looks great, very solid and a good bit scary. Ohhh, maybe add some wicked bits of fabric whipping in the wind.
    I understand what she's saying, but at the same time, one must realize that the physical boundries that are present in natural wings, may not be present in spiritual wings

Z

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A-W-E-S-O-M-E

Only one comment: the foot, the foremost one seems to be the left foot(seeing as the big toe is the first one), it looks as though it is incredibly twisted, the left/ankle doesn't turn that much to the sides, in afct the ankle is designed to go upwards/downwards, not sideways.

It may be me though

Excellent job on the shading and I love how the tunic ended up. ruffle sor not, I think it looks fantastic!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.