Sketchbook: Esb - Page 14
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Esb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Lot!

another painting:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another painting update:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya!
    It's too bad you get so little comments, you deserve more; so many good updates!
    I'll do some crits, beginning with the first update after my last post here ^^
    post #388: Nice painting I think there's some stuff wrong with her face; eyes don't seem to be well aligned and they look like they're a bit too big.. Try to use a reference image and really triple check the facial proportions, measuring everything.. I think that will help your paintings a lot (and it will learn you something I think ^^). About the background: I don't really understand what's going on there, it could be abstract too, but if they're supposed to be some sort of buildings, you could try to add some depth by using atmospheric perspective (make the colours go more blue-ish like the sky when they're further back) and using a lighter colour when things go further back to create some more illusion of depth maybe. Also, lastly, try to use some more saturated colours for skintone maybe
    post #390: Wow, really nice lifedrawing stuffs! On the second one I'd like to point out that the hands are too small, and on the third the eyes are prolly a bit too big, but really really great stuff! I really like the watercolours on this one, on the next one I think the colours are a bit too unsaturated, especially when compared to the background.
    post #391: Hey cool! I like the surreal feeling of the hair. The ear looks like it's a bit too low, but nice work on the head! Proportions seem quite alright this time. Watch the hands, they're too small again. Lower arms are a tad too long, but not really huge. Just look at this image to see the trick for length of lower arm
    post #393: Really nice clouds on this one! Eyes are a bit too big again, and skin could use some more saturation, but proportions look better! One thing that is a pity in this is that the water is just as detailed as the foreground, try to get a little blurrier and mistier in the background to really give the feeling of depth it looks a bit flat because of this now. But nice improvements in the painting! It's looking really nice.
    post #394 That's nice too, I like the atmosphere in this I think. But still watch proportions more; eyes are too big again, mouth is a bit too low, and the left hand (our right) looks a bit wonky, I think it's the thumb that is too long, and a bit too far apart from the other fingers double check your ref
    Nice work on the muscles of the chest and arms! Oh and if you're going to work more on this; try to get the skin a bit more pink and saturated, with some yellow highlights? It would make the body pop out a bit more. You can try to get the skintone to be a bit more blue on the edges so it kinda blends into the background.
    Oh, a question in general: how big are your paintings usually, and do you paint in acrylics or oils?
    Well those were my crits I think they're quite a lot.. I'm not great in saying a lot in less words it seems
    Hope I helped.. I'll subscribe to this thread, it deserves more replies.. I'll try to give them when I have time ^^

Love!
    Marleen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Marleen, now thats a critique!
    Thanks for the time you have put into it to make such a detailed critique, I agree with most said and it shows I have to pay more attention to somethings. I think you are rigth about the hands, I didn't pay much attention for that, escept for the one in post 393, where I wanted them to look big!
    About post 388, I think I know what you mean about the face seeming kind of odd, I realize it isn't a very standard face, but I kind of like this way so I am sticking to it... about the background I tried to do as you suggest, tried to blend the further part a little more with the sky, but I realize I could have gone further with that, but I was also looking for something simple and stylized. I have re-done that background a lot of times and I was kind of feeling happy with the way it is know, very blueish and with little cromatic variation. Anyway I was thinking of doing an animated gif showing all the changes it went through, some aspects of it I liked more in past versions.
    Thanks for the comments about the life drawings, has I said it was done in a session of about 150 minutes, so I guess some of the sketches could have had more work.
    number 391- still a long way to go... will take your tips in consideration!
    393- interesting what you said about the sea intensity, I wasn't going to work anymore on that one, but know I will probably mess with that!
    394- also some way to go, the recent black lines are some adjustment to some new ref picture I have taken....
    I normally paint in acrylics, they are much cleaner and saves me a lot of time, since I dont have much time to paint, of course you can not mix colours so well in the canvas but... I started painting with oils though, and still do but much less.
    I don't work in a standard size, painting in post: 391- 120x80cm; 393- 50x70cm; 394- 50x100cm...
    Thanks for subscribing, I'll try to keep an eye in your work and make some informative critiques like you, I know my last comment left some doubts... I will try to be more clear, but I am waiting for you to post again... :p

a big black cat:

Last edited by voraz; May 4th, 2007 at 08:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have posted this one before I think, but it was really bad photo, this one's much better:

and another painting update:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick sketches:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay lots of nice new updates!
    I looove the big black cat ^^ well I just adore any sort of cat But you also made it look really nice.. This is watercolour or thin acrylics? I'm wondering what it is that makes your animals look so way more convincing than your humans most of the time. Haven't figured it out yet Possibly it's the technique?
    The girl you posted earlier does look much better in this photo I really like that one. When I tried to find something to crit on it I found that she looks like she's leaning forward a bit, a little off balance, but really it's nothing
    The painting update looks nice, I don't think it's meant to be realistic, more cubistic I think.. I like the colours you used a lot I think the cloth that she has over her body would be a nice next thing to work on, it doesn't look convincing yet
    On the last post (the quicker sketches): I think the guys all look a little too broad.. But I think you used pictures of quite muscular men so I don't really know how to crit.. It's also hard because my knowledge of muscles isn't very good But I'll try:
    On the first one (digi), the left arm becomes very thin at the end, that looks a little weird. On the second one things look quite allright but the right arm looks bigger than left, this could be because of the camera angle. Is it true that his upper body is slightly twisted to the left?
    Third one: Yeah ^^ nice details! The spine looks a little off center, but really you should check this with the ref..
    Last one: well this looks really good with the values, I do think he looks too broad, but that could very well be because of his big muscles
    Which references did you use for these? If you have them saved somewhere, or a link available then I'm interested in them.

keep the updates coming ^^
    love
    Marleen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah! that big black cat and this one are great! its good to see you improving. still there anatomical and proportion issues, try to keep it simple.
    continua o bom trabalho, é impressionante como tanto desenhas e te esforças, continua a representar em grande.
    Abraço

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!
    Marleen, thanks for the comments once again! Glad you like the pantera!
    The other work (the pencil one after the pantera), I am happy with how it turned out, I was actually going to do something a little more ellaborate with Indian Ink but I liked it this way so i gave up. It was made using photo ref that was taken sligthly from above, I liked the perspective so I kept it, thats a little bit why she seems to be leaning a little, it is also why the feet look so small.
    The other painting was actually done because a uncle asked me to do something like that a simple painting with smood colours, it is not supposed to be cubist, just a little oversimplified and still needs some work (all the face for example), the colours are not very good in this photo also.
    And in the last post the 1st and second are woman!
    the first one I think I oversized her a little, it was done too quickly. The second one is from a bodybuilder thats why she is so muscular.
    The other ones were also based in reference photos, from pics from the internet, maybe from a reference thread in CGTalk, not sure, but I guess I still have them around, i will look for them and then send them to you by PM or something... the torso on those guys is definitelly too broad.

Also thanks Callops! Boa sorte com o teu trabalho também!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya again ! ^^

lol sorry about the females which I thought they were male hihi
    I guess I'm just not so used to seeing females with broad shoulders
    Oh, and about the pencil one, yes I totally agree with you and I really like the drawing. Understand the thing with the camera angle ^^
    Thanks for sending me the pics will try to draw some from them.
    Oh Šnd thanks for the face drawing advice! I'll do a one hour face study in pencil today yay!
    On this last update: Nice work with the pastels (right? ^^), I really like how you did the nose and mouth, they fit together veyr well. The eyes do seem a little too big, and the angle of the forehead and eyebrows looks like it's a little too much to the lower left where it should be more horizontal. I'm not sure where the hand is in the reference, but do try to draw the hand along with it (if it's also shown in the ref that is).
    Maybe some hand studies ^^

Love
    Marleen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FABULOUS!!!
    Panter
    Seagull
    Dynamic and lifely drawing of human
    Eagle

These are my favorites. All excellently done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Insane! You are just insane insane insanelly cool, Fil! The amount of drawing you do AND the time you spend on posting your stuff up is just crazy. I have loaded this sb so many times to reply in the last few weeks i think i have lost count.

I think most of the useful stuff i could have said Noe has pretty much covered. One thing she did mention that i would like reiterate, is that your animals are leagues ahead of your people. Now, that you love animals is not very hard to see at all, much it's the way you manages to capture them that has me scratching my head as well. Only because you do it so well, and love or no love, there is a lot of observational techiniques that you just don't seem to be applying to your humans as well (it would seem to me anyway). Maybe you should pay more attention to exactly what you do ith your animals and apply it to your humans (yes, which are also animals i know....hmmmm).

Now, having said that, your people anatomy is getting so much better. I love the one where the perspective is of us looking down on her, i think you nailed that really well. But you know what? You seem (only seem ) to have something similar to my 'problem': your quick sketshes seems to have a better anatomy feel then your longer poses (my teacher has been picking up on that like crazy, and so have i).

ANyway man, keep up the inspiring work.

-PJ
    Keep the child alive...
    Dare to Believe Sb
    Website
    Blog
    Class 1 and 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah! so many replies!

Hi Marleen, thanks once again for the critiques, the last one was done very quickly, i am not sure if it is the same as pastel, the name that comes in the pencils is PITT, to me it seems like a kind pastel but I am not sure if it is the same... the bigger problem for me with the eyes is not the size but their position I think....

Glatteveier- Thanks a lot! Glad you liked them. i guess i spent a little more time than usual in some of those.

OlŠ PJ, muito obrigado pelos elogios!
    I think why the animals I make are so much better is that I don't have much experience in drawing them, i don't know their anatomy by heart, so I have to use reference all the time and normally spend more time on those drawings. Humans I draw all the time and most of the times i don't use ref, so i end up doing lots of mistakes, also i tend to think less about what I am doing.
    i have to change that!

Thanks again for all the replies!

Some doodles:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 quick ones, from life:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more animals (sketches):

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya mister Voraz!

I'm sorry I didn't post here earlier .. That's a lot of updates!!
    I think you should spend more time on your human sketches, and you should approach them more like you do your animal sketches. I see a lot of problems with eyes in the faces. You definately do make the eyes a bit too big most of the time. I really think that's the problem and not the angle sorry for disagreeing hihi ^^. You make them often 1/3rd of the width of the head while really they should be 1/5th of the width of the head.
    I think you're definately improving though, and you don't make proportion mistakes on all your figures. I think you do it more in your quicker sketches, so really that's a good thing because it shows that your work improves when you spend more time on it. Now the next thing is to achieve that you also get things looking well with the proportions in quicker stuff, so maybe try to do some quick pen (?) sketches from reference.
    I again love the animal drawings.. They're awesome..

Well I have to go now. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh in my crits or something. Don't have time to reread. ^^

Hugs
    Marleen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Marleen, thanks once again for the all the crits. And no, I don't think you're too harsh, so no problem!
    Yes there are some issues that need to be solved, even if it is only when doodling...
    Anyway there won't be any updates in a while since I am going a few days to Amsterdam.

these next 2 pages were from life:

cheers

Last edited by voraz; May 22nd, 2007 at 05:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey again

I hope you'll have a good time in Amsterdam, it's a nice city, but really really busy, wouldn't want to live there
    About the last update: I really like it, the first page, is it from ref or mind? The upper right figure looks very nice and eh well proportioned. On the lower left, when viewing the figure from above, try to be consequent in your perspective, I think the lower legs could be a bit shorter. It's looking nice though! Good improvement.
    The page beneath looks awesome too! That sitting figure is great.
    On the last page the guy looks really nice, but the female profiles could use some work, I think you did them quite quickly from life right? I have that sort of trouble all the time as well.. Just ehh keep practicing.!

nice update man, I'm looking forward to seeing the new 'after Amsterdam' update. Have fun in "my" little country ^^

Love
    Marleen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HI, I'm back!
    Really enjoyed being in Amsterdam, a really cool place!

Marleen- no ref for the first two pages...
    the others were from life, my biggest problem is that nobody were posing, as usual, so it is a little bit more difficult...

some stuff I did while in Berlengas:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a stupid jet snail I did for this month's stylized animal challenge, didn't have much time to work on it this month though...

and updated my site with a English section, but there is still a lot to do though...

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/l.f.l/vS%20ING...es%20index.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a painting I'm working on:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

I can't really say anything that hasn't been said before, so I'll just try to ass-pat a little. I love your animals and architecture (sp?). The brushwork looks so bold and fearless, which is really cool. Keep it up man.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Hai!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incredible anatomy sketches/studies you go in these last few posts and of course your animals ROCK!

Keep it up Fil.

-PJ
    Keep the child alive...
    Dare to Believe Sb
    Website
    Blog
    Class 1 and 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks PJ, time you update your book too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! reached page 8 and hadn't even noticed!

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1