Sketchbook: Esb - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Esb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Designbot- do you mean the one on post #263? thanks
    cheers

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some feet I was working on, just trying some colour variations to the same drawing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    something I'm working on, sorry for the bad photos:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the life drawing and anatomy studies are helping you a great deal
    Keep up the good work.

My sketchbook is here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks softocean I really apreciate it but right now I don't feel like I'm improving...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dan_Grr is offline Explorer's descendant Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One can tell that you improved since page 1, you're doing great bro. I don't know in which part of Portugal you are, but if you ever manage to it, do life drawing from real models. My college graduation is in design, but my colleagues in "Artes Plásticas" (Plastic Arts) did not made anatomical studies from live nude models. I don't have access to it myself, but if you do, by all means do it, as frequently as possible.

I don't know any place in Portugal to do that, but I suspect hiring a model is probably expensive, specially if Im the only one paying for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am trying to get some life model sessions, I probably do it soon. I didn't study arts so I never got the chance to do that.
    I don't know in other places but in Lisbon you have ARCO, they make life nude model sessions, they are quite expensive but I don't think that there are much more options.
    I sometimes do studies from life but never with a model (posts 277 and 279 for example are from life, done during scientific presentations).
    obrigado pelos comentários
    cumprimentos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Someone reminded me that I can have, in fact, an opportunity of life drawing: from my girlfriend. So, if you have a girlfriend tell her to take her clothes off and like, you know, pose for you.

My girlfriend is a bit shy, but I think she'll pose for me. However, this only goes as far. I (we) need a male model too. It's all nice to think we can pose in front of a mirror, but theres definitely a lot of poses that one cannot do if hes standing in front of a mirror and with his sketchbook on the way, messing up with the natural flow of the body. A mirror might be good for portraits, but thats that, at least for me.

And besides, it's best not to draw the same person. Drawing and aknowledging different kinds of physics is great, fat people, bulky people, short, tall, I think variety is the key for a better and faster progress.

By the way I live in Abrantes, how about you?

EDIT: Im off to draw some chickens and ducks. Maybe some drawing will come out good, and I'll post it in my fuckin' sketchbook. Stay tuned.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My girlfriend has posed for me a few times, but she doesn't have much patience for that so I haven't done that in a while. I think you can do much better work with a profissional model and with a group of other artists were you can exchange ideas and learn from other, or at least get some ideas.

Eu vivo em Lisboa.
    Boa sorte com a passarada, depois tenho de passar no teu sketchbook para ver isso. Vai à zona do thunderdome, à uma competição envolvendo o desenho de uma vaca, se gostas de desenhar animais pode ser que te interesse, eu estou a pensar participar.

Abraço
    Fil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a flower study, graphite and watercolour:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a cow study:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks cool man, thats the highland cow of the thunderdome, I saw your post in the Stylized Animal Challenge, I guess you're going to have your take on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Dan.

another sketchbook page:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey meu, eu tenho todos os livros do Osprey. Osprey é uma editora de livros sobre armas, guerreiros e técnicas antigas, medievais e modernas, desde os guerreiros de Sparta, por exemplo, até aos tanques da 2.ª Guerra Mundial. Eu gosto, embora não tenha desenhado quase nenhum até à data, dos guerreiros de outrora. Se quiseres posso-te arranjar alguns livros. Eu arranjo cenas, muitas cenas, por isso é que tou a escrever isto em português.

Hey man, keep pushing yourself, draw more, more more. By the way the big guy's legs look a bit too small, try increasing the distance from the knees to the feet. But I guess then it would fall okk the page, that why you probably decided to compress it a little bit?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Dan, thanks for the comments, you are rigth about me trying to fit the legs into the page, actually I think it is the thigths that should be longer, or maybe both parts.Obrigado pela oferta, mas não vale a pena, estou apenas a fazer uns esboços para o Thunderdome, vou fazer o D. Afonso Henriques, isto foi apenas uma versão alternativa que me apeteceu fazer.
    cumprimentos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only critique I have for that piece is that her right forearm is a bit too muscled. Thats from the X-men right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, you're rigth, that's what you get from learning to draw from super-hero comic books...
    actually she's not from x-man, I was just drawing and that's what I came up with, no ref used, neither was I thinking of anyone, but I guess some parts remind a little of Rogue (I think that's the rigth name, I'm used to see the translated version), but it was not intentional.

As I'm here another one:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some guy with eye problems....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey!
    I like that you dont need much lines to define, your outlines, thats definitely a good thing! You should keep that!
    Your faces dont seem constructed, thats cool, but most of them have their eyes too far away from each other/too far on the side of the face...
    my suggestion would be, that you keep drawing your faces freely (not constructed), but that you check them for mistakes while/after drawing... (you could use the loomis way to check them.
    http://davidkassan.com/files/fun.pdf page 35 or so...

as for your selfie-schoolie-entry:
    I like that it has depth. He has sharp edges and the background is diffuse, the strongest contrasts are in the foreground, on the character, thats good too.
    Anatomywise, i think that his lower leg and foot are too small, and i think thats because you tried to push it into the margin of your pic... you should avoid that. Some preliminary sketches, in which you figure out your composition are very important. and if you discover a problem while drawing, dont push thing together in an unnatural way, but let them go their way.

There is a lot of metal in your picture, but you didnt take the time to render it. That could have been very cool... a shiny/reflecting sword is all you need to get some middle-ages-chicks, hehe... yours is nearly plain white, but you did better on the helmet. Some textures on his coat/armor would have been very nice too... What i said about the sword also goes for the shield. its just plain white, and doesnt seem round or shaded, so it doesnt look finished at all... you could have gone crazy there! man that thing should have at least tiny destructions ot something like that...
    for rendering metal, here are some tutorials:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84904
    http://www.saunderscreative.com/ -> resources -> tutorial

stronger contrast between he light and shadow side of things (eg the arm), would help to make the character more 3d, its a little flat now.
    and i think you should try to get away from black outlines, but that may be an individual issue.

I hope you dont feel insulted by what i wrote, cause i just want to help you
    Just keep it up, you're on the right track.

embee

My Sketchbook

My current areas of interest: Linework, Composition, Visual Library

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't worry, I'm far from insulted.
    I really appreciate you taking your time to give me very interesting crits. Some of the stuff you're saying I am aware, somemay be very usefull, for example I hadn't noticed the eyes were to far apart from one another, I know they are usually badly placed and sometimes not aligned, but hadn't noticed that I make them too far apart.
    I was hopping to get more time to do this but I had two days I couldn't make my tablet work, to find out it was the batery in the pen that was failing.

Anyway I am really happy you took all that time to crit my work, I wished I had more of that in my sketchbook!

I was in your sketchbook the other day, and I saw the helmets you were doing, they look really nice, so your piece was actually a surprise, because I thougth I was going to see those helmets in someone.

About the faces and all not being build you are rigth, I have always hated doing that, normally I started working on some detail and build from there, though I am trying to change that, and now I am starting with by placing the whole figure and working from there...

Good work you too and good luck luck.
    cheers
    Fil

Last edited by voraz; January 3rd, 2007 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    by the way here is some of the work behind the TD piece.

And some info on that guy:

D. Afonso Henriques (1109-1185), the first portuguese king was named (nicknamed... I don't know the correct word in English, the fact is that all the Portuguese kings had nicknames given according to what they had done/achieved) conqueror, because the large extension of land conquered South to the sarracens (I hope this is well written...).
    The process of independence from Castela is complicated and takes severall battles, including with his own mother's army.
    In 1179 the Catolic church (at that time those guys seemed to be who decided everything...) recognizes Portugal as a country, being the first European country to be established.

As he was named conqueror and best know for his battles against the sarracens, I will depict him in his battle dressing).
    That guy was described as being a very tall and strong guy (which coul as well be little over 1,60 m at that time, but he was also king so I guess he could "afect" what was written about him, he he

History says that contrary to what was usual, D. Afonso henriques took part of the battles in the front line, not in the back.

His fitghing dressing was quite simple, chain mail, a helmet, a sword an a shield. It is also said that he had a enourmous sword of about 2m or something like that that takes 3 normal men to handle, but if its true it was probably a simbol and not used to figth. It seems the one he used was very simple with a blade of about 90 cm.

I also hope all there aren't many mistakes here, this info was mostly obtained from the internet and from the little I remember from scholl (only that he was our first king and started our country ).

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.