Thanks

DC Comics Illustrator James Aparo Dies

SOUTHINGTON, Conn. - James N. Aparo, an illustrator for DC Comics for more than 30 years who drew Batman, the Green Arrow and other action heroes, has died.

Aparo died Tuesday at home after a short illness, said his daughter, Donna Aparo. He was 72.

Aparo, who grew up in New Britain, brought characters to life in his home studio in Southington, corresponding with DC Comics through the mail. He retired about four years ago, his daughter said.

Besides Batman and the Green Arrow, Aparo also did illustrations for Aquaman, the Brave and the Bold, Phantom Stranger and Spectre.

His big break came in the late 1960s when he was working for Charlton Press and his editor got a job at DC. The editor, Dick Giordano, brought Aparo with him to the comic book maker.

In a 2000 interview with Jim Amash for Comic Book Artist, Aparo said he went to Hartford Art School for a semester, but was mostly self-taught.

"I just drew as a kid and went with it," he said. "I studied and copied comic strips and comic books. I grew up with Superman, Batman, and Captain Marvel. I really liked Captain Marvel Jr. by Mac Raboy. That was beautiful stuff. I liked Alex Raymond, Milton Caniff ... all of those guys."

Aparo is survived by his wife, Julieann, and three children.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    RIP James
    "As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Thanks
    Wow, Jim Aparo. I didn't know he'd been in the field since the 60s.

The last thing I remembered seeing from Jim Aparo personally was that special issue where the Azrael Batman decided to go with armor rather than spandex. Half the issue was by Aparo (the "classic" Batman look and art style) and the second half by a new artist. Kind of a passing-the-baton kind of thing.

Sad news.

Thanks
    Thanks for passing that on. Growing up, he was one of my favorite artists and I don't think that he ever got the credit he deserved. He always drew great forehead wrinkles on Batman; I don't know why I remember that.

Thanks
    This is terrible news...
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    I'm glad someone made a thread about Mr. Aparo's passing. Was afraid no one knew of him.
    He was without a doubt, THE quintessential Batman artist in my mind. Sadly, he was also probably one of the most under appreciated comic book artists as well. His work on The Brave & The Bold had a huge impact on my childhood.
    Man, this sucks.

On a positive note, Two Morrows Inc. is publishing a retrospective of Jim’s work in a new book due out in October:

HE BRAVE AND BOLD ART OF JIM APARO

For a generation of comic-book readers, JIM APARO is considered the greatest Batman artist of them all. Aparo—with his strong, dynamic style, well-grounded in realism—together with Batman made a team worthy of the title, The Brave and the Bold. But while the Batman team-up book was where fans could most commonly find Aparo’s work, he first made his name on such series as Aquaman, the controversial "Spectre," and the mysterious Phantom Stranger, and is considered by many to be the definitive artist for each. Now, Scott Beatty (writer of Batman and The DC Comics Encyclopedia) along with Eric Nolen-Weathington (editor/designer of the Modern Masters book series) turn the Bat Signal onto the life and work of one of comics’ finest: Jim Aparo. From his time in the world of advertising art, through the heyday of the ’70s, and beyond the death of Robin, Aparo’s career is finally given the attention it so richly deserves. The book is lavishly illustrated with Aparo’s work—including many rare and previously-unpublished pieces.
    Introduction by award-winning comic book artist Alan Davis!

The 128 page (plus cover), squarebound, 8 1/2" x 11" Trade Paperback
    with a full color cover and black-and-white interiors retails for $15.95
    in the U.S. and ships 19 October 2005.

Thanks
    Wow, thanks for that info. I'll be waiting for the book to come out.