Thanks

Week 2 of WCDC: Create a Creature

Ok back by popular demand, I suppose, a few requests that I continue doing this so I will. I dont know if I will create an image for this round or not. But here we go.

Topic: Create a Creature

Rules: From the list below, combine 3 animals to create a mountable creature. Something that a warrior would use, or perhaps its used for some sort of mass transit. But either way, it is used to carry someone or something around or into battle.

Animals to choose from:
    Butterfly
    Bird
    Lizard
    Shark
    Whale
    Snake
    Spider
    Scorpion
    Bear
    Elephant
    Tiger
    Rhino

Genre and Media are open to whatever floats your boat.

I am giving everyone a little bit more time so that I can get this back to going from Sunday to Sunday so the final peice is due Sunday July 31st. After that, we will be back to a weekly schedule.
    Last edited by Smitherines; July 19th, 2005 at 10:41 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Im excited!
    I posted a comment, it would be nice if you returned the favor...
    MY SKETCHBOOK

My Space

Thanks
    nice, this should be interesting.

Thanks
    My only complaint is lack of flying creatures in that list, i can only really choose 2 types of wings... I did create a creature that relies more on 'floating' and kinda steers with its appendages, but I'm not sure how that will go.. i might post both my ideas, just for fun.. i dunno..

for my main creature tho, i think its pretty badass, i just have to draw it so i can convey what im trying to do with it.

I ended up reading your rules for the Challenge Smitherines, I was wondering if I could post in sequences, as long as they are finished to that point.. IE: Post the Illustration first... then post maybe a greyscale shading or coloring? so 2 - 3, as long as they are somewhat 'finished'

If not thats cool.. just thought i'd ask.

anyone else joining in on this challenge? hows it comming along?

Thanks

Tiger, Lizard, Snake

I still need to do a little cleanup and detail work on the image, but here's my entry:

The Tiger-Snake-Lizard mount.

Week 2 of WCDC:  Create a Creature
    Michael W.

Thanks
    hahah, ya i know you meant to be challenging.. and yes the thought of the fins for wings has crossed my mind and is sorta being used in one of the ideas..

man alive nightfend, that is frickin awesome.. i cant compete with that!!

but ill give it my best

Thanks
    ya that is fine, post whatever. The rules are more like guidelines i suppose, I just didn't want people posting work that took them 10 minutes and very little effort. I just wanted everyone to put some effort into their work.

Thanks
    Sorry for the "lack" of flying creatures, its also what makes it somewhat of the challenge, a limited number of choices, or thats was I thinking at the time anyways. For more options on wings, you could always take an aquatic animal that I posted and use its fins for wings.

Thanks
    Wow, cool Nightfend! I'm by the detail of its skin and overall I guess Something I have never had the pateince for. The only critique I can think of is that the spikes on the tale rotate oddly. They start off dorsally and become lateral spikes, or at least it seems that way.

Here is what I came up for last sunday (when I mistakenly thought it was due ) It took 2 to 3 hours of drawing preceded by a few hours of 'research sketching'.

It has room for improvement. I am hopefully going to replace this version with a improved version or a new version after getting some suggestions at the thread I started for it, here

Last edited by Calcaneus; July 31st, 2005 at 05:41 PM. Reason: moved image location so I'm updating it
    :signature:
    "... it's like playing a rpg. you need to level up by sketching all kinds of monsters. more or less.
    "
    -HardcorePixxX - on learning to draw
    (Oct 4, 2004, 05:13)

My Art (On DeviantArt)

Thanks

some crit

hey 'nightfend'-
    not that i have any room to criticize, i actually havent ever finished a peice of art i have ever started, but i dont see the snake part of your creature, maybe a slit tongue or scales would help(although both of those might hurt the work) but the lizard does somewhat resemble a snake anyway. ah well, there went my 2 cents.
    No. No. Uh uh. No way. Ain't happening.

alright, gimme a sec.

Thanks
    Hey thanks guys for the critiques. I am going to add the snake tongue and fix those darn tail spines. :-p

Calcaneus - That's a really nice drawing. I really like it. What three creatures was this? I can see lizard and rhino in it.
    Michael W.

Thanks
    nightfend:: pretty sick... i love the direction of the design myself the best... your mask looks like something from the aztecs or mayans... (im not too sure)... great design and presentation

i think i might give this one a go... til the 31st eh? sounds good!

Thanks
    Nightfend: Thanks very much. The mystery third is the generic bird. I covered this beast's torso in feathers and gave a sort of a beak.
    "... it's like playing a rpg. you need to level up by sketching all kinds of monsters. more or less.
    "

My Art (On DeviantArt)

Thanks
    Calcaneus - Thats a pretty cool beastie, i likes it... only thing that sticks out that bothers me is the riders leg... it looks weird, almost looks like a profile of a leg, when the pic is at 3 quarter other than that, i dig it!

For some reason (could be 'the drugs') i thought this mount HAD to fly.. like it was all part of the plan.. haha.. how dopie am i?! however, i was able to make something neat, i just gotta smooth out the details

Hope i can make the deadline, i gotta pull a lot of OT this weekend

Thanks
    The line art.

The coloured version.

I could do more for the painting... but it is 11. Up it goes.
    "

My Art (On DeviantArt)

Thanks
    A lightsource and a background would have helped a lot but I didn't leave enough time for it.
    "

My Art (On DeviantArt)

Thanks
    Umm Calcaneus... Where are the other three legs? They seem to be MIA... However, I do like the more dramatic pose much more!!!

Thanks

Red face

Background would've helped immesnly, haha. The creature is supposed to be climbing down a hill. I actually have 3 legs visible. The front left is being leaned on the other front one is there. You can see (though I suppose it isn't too clear) the back right knee and the back left one is hidden behind the torso and the basket. That is the idea anyways. lol Thanks for the comments
    "

My Art (On DeviantArt)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcaneus
    I actually have 3 legs visible. The front left is being leaned on the other front one is there. You can see (though I suppose it isn't too clear) the back right knee and the back left one is hidden behind the torso and the basket. That is the idea anyways.
    Ok, I guess the one that is throwing me is the front left. Based on the bend of both of the front legs, it makes the front left appear to be on the right side (to me at least). It made me think that the creature must have six legs, and I just didn't see the other three. Now knowing the front left is actually on the left, it appears to be hyper-extended or bent backwards.

Like you've said, some shadows, highlights, and a background would make this much more solid, but it is a great start!

Thanks
    Did no-one else but nightfend do anything? Should I assume that there will be no challenge for next week?
    "

My Art (On DeviantArt)

Thanks
    Ill continue it if you want, I said I probably wasnt going to be able to do one and probably wont make it next week. This is what happened before, a bunch of people said yes and they all pulled a no show. So its up to you. Let me know, I will post another topic, but I still wont have time to get a peice in. I got to get my thunderdome finished.

Thanks
    Sometimes people get called in to work on the weekend cuz the game they are testing is licking balls. Sorry, i wanted to, but since the project im on is near beta, my time is spent at work

Maybe make this design challenge a few weeks? gives more time for people to play around? like 2 or 3 weeks? i dunno man, just suggestions to keep it going... these things take time.. maybe open this kind of thing in the Sketchbooks / WIP thread? There are a few fun open activities in there?

Don't fret too much

Thanks
    I might be interested in another one. It helped a lot having a deadline to work toward. I would be interested in developing some sort of environment or structure. Perhaps some time of utility facility in the jungle or something would be interesting.
    "

My Art (On DeviantArt)

Thanks
    Ok I will give more time, 3 weeks for each topic. I already thought of the new topic, combining Cal's wishes of a building. Just so I don't forget, I will post it right now and the end date will be on a sunday, 3 weeks from this coming sunday, so thats 3 and a half weeks.

Thanks
    Starting August 6th Fozzybar is going to start C.O.W. back up. That is the "Creature Of the Week" challenge in the Community Activitiessection. You are given a topic, sometimes a brief description, and then you post... a poll is taken each week to decide the winner. It's been on summer vacation due to a lack of participation, but even when it was low there were still 14 to 18 entries. Check it out next week.

Thanks
    Ok, I wasnt sure when that was coming back. Oh well, I just posted the new topic