Anyone Published A Book?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anyone Published A Book?

I'm wondering what the process is like (getting it copyrighted, getting it published, etc.) Anything like a novel? I'm going to try to get something I'm writing now published, but I'm not sure where to get it published, what I should do to copyright it and protect it from getting stolen. Any first-had advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Brad Cossey

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I might be able to help with info/guidance. Can you post a couple of more details without giving anything away?

How big? What genre? What do you see as your potential market? (Who's gonna read it?) Is this a one shot deal or are you planning more? Is subject matter mainstream or narrow field? (Like, are you talkin' about sex, or describing how to build a 16th-century hope chest...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am in the process and have found some very useful, and yet sometimes quite contradictory, information at:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Self-Publishing/

Most of the controversy seems to stem around POD publishing and vanity publishing; how they are similar and how they are different.

----------------------------------------
    Sans la colère. Sans la haine. Et sans la pitié.

I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian, against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

Writer, illustrator and artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    I might be able to help with info/guidance. Can you post a couple of more details without giving anything away?

How big? What genre? What do you see as your potential market? (Who's gonna read it?) Is this a one shot deal or are you planning more? Is subject matter mainstream or narrow field? (Like, are you talkin' about sex, or describing how to build a 16th-century hope chest...)
    I'm planning on a series of books, probably three. It's sci-fi, set in the future. I see a High School, or College student age market, or about anyone intrested in sci-fi who might buy this book. The main characters are all going to be teens through early twenties. I'm going to try to make it down to earth sci-fi (no invisible aliens, brain waves that kill people, or anything way out there).

-Brad Cossey

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hate to say this, but your best bet is probably to submit to the range of publishers who specialize in Science Fiction. You could possibly build up some interest first by attempting to serialize or adapt part of one of the stories to the requirements of the SciFi magazine market.

If you were going to do a specialized sort of thing with limited appeal, I would have suggested self-publishing, which isn't as complicated as most people make out. It's just a bitch when it comes to publicity and distribution.

Your books sound like they have a possible appeal to a wide audience, so trying to compete with the established publishers would be almost futile. Use what's there and works. As for copyrights, they belong to you. Automatically. Make sure you retain your notes and an original printout, as well as a doc on CD or some such if possible. Most of the publishers are pretty on the up and up, but there's always a prick somewhere that surpises you. If you can't find out anything specific about where you're sending you material (track record, history, list of their authors, minimal info on payment arrangements and legal requirements, etc.), don't send it.

Before you submit, I'd suggest getting a copy of "The Writer's Market" (I think that's what it's called...) and doing a fast scan on it. It comes out once a year and has tips and updated lists of all the ultimate publisher and Mag markets with contact info. It also has a lot of shit like advice that can be useful from people who have "been there, done that..."

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.