warrior

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: warrior

Thanks

warrior

I did these on photoshop using just the basic brushes, I would like some C&C did this in about 30min and I know the structure is poor and especialy around the legs gets confusing any tips on what I should work on.

and of course I didn't finish I felt that my base drawing wasen't good enough to work it out any more.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I find this a little hard to read and the piece itself seems slightly blurry.
    These may sound a little hard but here's my crits.
    - Your light sources seem confused. The shield and his rigth arm should have more highs on them, judging from the rest of your values.
    - The shield could cast much more shadow.
    - The lines and edges need to be harder to have a more readable design on the armour.

My tips would be get back to the traditional pencil and paint. I still scan all my line art, i much prefer the control i have with a pencil. Also your shading technique seems to be that of a pencil piece. Try getting hold of some paints, my favourite are acrylics. Then set up a still life and paint away. Work from life whenever possible.

Good luck.

-B-

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    OR, you can simply go BACK into Photoshop, and clean this up.
    Traditional pencil and paper are NOT going to teach you how to use Photoshop better...

First, you need to adjust your brushes to HARD, not soft edged for your basic linework (img 1). Enlarge your image big enough to make SURE that every line connects to another one, with NO gaps. Draw this on a separate layer from your background, so you can adjust opacity as needed.

Next, clearly define your light source(s). If you have to, draw a line(on a separate layer) showing where the light is coming from. Then follow that line when you place your highlights and shadows.

Then, start with your darkest shadows and clearly and CLEANLY paint them in. Then your midtones, THEN your highlights.

This piece is just too rough and blurry to comment on further. It is NOT the Photoshop, it is the User between the keyboard and the monitor that needs work...

Oh, and Badger? I don't see many warriors wandering around in Life to draw from. For Creative (imaginative) drawing, the "draw more from Life" advice doesn't quite cut it...

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Can you shrink the image? Often time I find it's easier to tell your own mistakes when you look at the image from far away, or shrink it down. Large sizes tend to overwhelm you and blind you from seeing the flaws.

Back on topic, the arm is too short, the breast plates look really odd. (Well I've never seen a perfectly round breast plates before). One of his shoulder is larger and longer than the other.

Even though your lighting need more work, it's good to see it's consistant in most part. (At least you don't have it all over the place.) Try to think of lighting and shading your character in a more general shape instead of down to every details. The ab and breast area wouldn't have so much lighting if you try to visualize them as part of a whole, instead of shading each of them as independ elements.

I'd add more arrows to the shield, it looks rather odd to see only one arrow stuck there. Also some scratches would help too.

Madster: I believe badger means draw from life as in study human anotomy and poses, and texture for armor too. Imaginative and creative drawing will all require a base to start from, after all, we aren't really the type splash paint to express our creativities.

Thanks
    thanks for the info guys I think drawing from a refrence picture will help me alot especialy when trying to understand the whole figure. I won't have to make it up as I go. yes the huge size is confusing and I know its very blurry.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.