Thanks

This newbie has a question!!

hi im new to conceptar.org.....i guess my man question is does jasc paintshop pro make good pictures? ive been looking at all these very detailed pictures and some look like they were hand drawn. but there very very detailed and im wondering if paint shop can make good pictures loike the ones ive seen. can anyone show me a example of paint shop material? i also have macromedia flash for animating but im not sure if that counts as a art media? i made a some what decent werewolf in it....but anyway can any one help me with this.

lol sry it looks like fun!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SephirothX69
    hi im new to conceptar.org.....i guess my man question is does jasc paintshop pro make good pictures? ive been looking at all these very detailed pictures and some look like they were hand drawn. but there very very detailed and im wondering if paint shop can make good pictures loike the ones ive seen. can anyone show me a example of paint shop material? i also have macromedia flash for animating but im not sure if that counts as a art media? i made a some what decent werewolf in it....but anyway can any one help me with this.

lol sry it looks like fun!

i take it that saying this newbie has a question was probably the wrong thing to say.........that may scare those who are tired of the same boring question from people who not smart enough to know. im sry but can i plz get a reply!

Thanks

Lightbulb

It is possible to create high-quality digital paintings with Paint Shop Pro.

Thanks
    It is possible that the pictures that youve seen that look like they were hand draw'n were draw'n by hand. Via Scanner 8)

I stand by Painter 9! 100%, hands down, and blah blah blah....
    "As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Actually, you can also do some fantastic artwork with Flash. There is a good book on the subject by Charles River Press publishers, but I can't remember the name. It might be Vector Drawing with Flash, or something to that effect. You get the cleanest lines that can be resized with no jaggies...

PaintShopPro is a very good drawing program. I know a couple of people who do some truly wondrous art with it. But, like anything else in Life, you'll get out of it what you put into it.
    For PSP, that means learning how to use and adjust the brushes. Beyond that though, you still need to learn the "Basics" of Art. Line, Value, Shape, Form, Depth, Balance, Perspective, Proportion, Anatomy, Color, and how to make an anchovy pizza...Okay, maybe not the last one, but definitely everything else.

~M
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Judging from your name, I don't think the art style your going for or are going to be doing soon will really require a program of that much power really.

Or Maybe I'm wrong and am being a judgemental prick, but that's mroe or less of what I am. In any case I hope I'm wrong.

Thanks
    I'm still trying to get over the fact that you quoted yourself in your very next post (a few minutes later), as if folks would be unable to follow your thought train.

You can edit your own posts, by the by. Oh, and you don't actually have to buy vowels. They're free; you can use them where ever they're needed.

I'm afraid I know very little about JASC, but the basic Painter program is very inexpensive, but quite nice.

Thanks
    The program and medium does not make the picture. It's up to the artist to create master pieces.

So to your question, yes paint shop pro can produce very good pictures, only if the artist is good enough.

Flash can do vector art, but it's not designed for vector art specifically. Its functions are limited. I'd recommend Adobe Illustrator for vector art.

Thanks
    I've used both programs paint shop pro and photoshop at different times and there is very little difference between them as far as I can see. I'm trying to decide which one to get at the moment but there is a massive difference in price between the two. Photoshop is about £300/$500 and paintshop is about £60/$90.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitum
    I've used both programs paint shop pro and photoshop at different times and there is very little difference between them as far as I can see. I'm trying to decide which one to get at the moment but there is a massive difference in price between the two. Photoshop is about £300/$500 and paintshop is about £60/$90.
    If you don't think there's much difference between them, go with the cheaper choice. =)
    Although I heard the latest paint shop pro has some lame brushes try to imitate painter. I wouldn't know since I never used it. =/

Thanks
    If paint shop has some prushes like painter that would be a definite bonus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitum
    If paint shop has some prushes like painter that would be a definite bonus.
    It would be a bonus if it all works out well. But it could be a mess if the brush end up producing lags and mes things up.
    By the way, what about gimps? I hear people say its just like photoshop, but I only touched it once. Have you give that one a shot yet? After all it is free.

Thanks
    Whats gimps?

Thanks
    GIMP, free open source photomanip/paint thing.

http://www.gimp.org/

Thanks
    Is it any good? It looks good from the site.
    Have faith, these things should never be easy.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    I honestly haven't got a clue, I have an old version of PS and the lite version of Painter you get with tablets so I never felt the need to go try it.

Here's another freebie if you want to check it out, more "Painter-y".
    http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

-Steve
    Last edited by SteveO; July 20th, 2005 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks
    That one looks good as well. I'll have to try them both out when I get the chance.
    Have faith, these things should never be easy.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    And then there's the wonder of openCanvas. =P (http://www.portalgraphics.net/en/index.asp)
    Version 1 was free, but the official site no longer distribute it. You'll have to google for it.

Thanks

Lightbulb

SteveO: Great link, I've been using ArtRage for sketching for a long time, it's a really great program!

I believe it is based on the same brush engine as Painter, so even though the choice of media brushes is limited, they're all great quality, and loads of fun to paint with.

I recommend everyone go and get ArtRage, it's free, and awesome for sketches/quick digital painting practises. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's better for digital painting than Paintshop Pro, even though it's free.

Only digital painting, though... it lacks any real image manipulation tools, but that's not really the point of the program now, is it?

Thanks
    I also noticed the few minutes delay between post one and two.

As for the validity of calling a software an art medium, it depends who you ask. All my classicaly trained teachers would never even consider something produced with a computer to be art. Now as for the medium, who cares ? As long as you use a tool (because a soft is a tool) and produce something that you find satisfying then yay.
    PSP's a very good cheap alternative to Photoshop. I used it since V2.5 and it had a kickass colour reducing algorythm. I've recently returned to it and was astounded on how it evelved. Due to my work, I mostly use Photoshop but PSP is still pretty darn cool.

Thanks
    MoP- yeah, I've only been playing with it the last couple of days but it seems cool so far.
    If you don't have a version of Painter ( or even if you do), it's well worth a look I'd agree.

-Steve