Sketchbook: Magicgoo's Goo ::: Updated 11/2009 ::: See Page 4 ::: Added SP

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Magicgoo's Goo ::: Updated 11/2009 ::: See Page 4 ::: Added SP

Last edited by magicgoo; November 2nd, 2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Adding more sketchypoops

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, There's some pretty good stuff in here. Especially nearing the end. I'm not sure what you want... the robot at the bottom is nicely done. Any more male drawings? You said you needed help in those areas.

J. Christopher Schmidt
    Comic Book Artist / Illustrator
    www.artisticschmidt.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your compliment.

I'm just looking for critiques on any problem areas I have.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good clean inks, you definently put a lot of thought into each figure that you make. Do some anatomy and face studies and you're art will benefit. I'll make sure to check back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Two More From Yesterday. . .

Some more girlies:

Trés Cuté Sketch Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oi

Hey hey you have some interesting stuff. The last girl's right arm looks too short, because of the angle of the shoulder and where the middle of the arm comes just under her breast. The way she holds her sword it seems as though it should be at an angle and not quite as strait on as it is. The cloth hanging down from her pelvis is at a good angle but the frilly cloth appears flat. The gun in her left hand is not bad but check out the reference section under Photography in the forums there is a nice selection of gun references (ill say this to everyone, guns have anatomy too ) The chick with the staff is rather nice no critical eye at first or second glance. Enjoy your stay at concept art.

sly

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A failure will not appear till a unit has passed final inspection."
    murphy's law

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great update, 'specially the last two.

Good job on weight and balance. The lovely sway of the hips really makes them seem grounded, believable.

and the third to last page reminds me of davi. i dont know why

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, groove. Yeah, I'm having fun with swingin' hips these days. Finally starting to have fun with hips & legs and lower body.

Gonna throw my other stuff from some other thread I did in here too, just so it's all in one space. These are sorta recent, but not as recent. Or maybe they are. I dunno. Some of ya may have seen them, too.

Magicgoo's Goo ::: Updated 11/2009 ::: See Page 4 ::: Added SPMagicgoo's Goo ::: Updated 11/2009 ::: See Page 4 ::: Added SP

Magicgoo's Goo ::: Updated 11/2009 ::: See Page 4 ::: Added SPMagicgoo's Goo ::: Updated 11/2009 ::: See Page 4 ::: Added SP

Trés Cuté Sketch Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update 6-11-06

Skully done today with pencils in 2 or 3 hours maybe. It's on weird paper I got from my dad. Circa brand, 12.75" x 19", 80 lbs. See the close up for the extreme texture I was fighting. Blah.

It sucks.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love the texture- it makes the subject more interesting.
    don't fight with it, work with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i've seen some of your finished stuff and it looks really good.But most of these sketches look kinda old, so we need hyper new ones to crit you properly.Anyway, the female anatomy looks great, but you need to try n draw some real animal muscle groups n bones to get the fantasy creatures look "right".And about the male aatomy...well, use ref and anatomy books, most of them mostly concentrate on male anatomy
    Maybe some sketches could use a bit less "hairy lines" if you know what i mean.Aw god i feel "evil" to crit you, so i'll go drawing instead

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahahha, "Art Vandelay!" "Vandelay Industries!! Say Vandelay Industries!"

OK, sorry, I'm a Seinfeld fan. Anyhow, I thought about not fighting the texture, but I t was difficult because it was sooooo wide. Each stripe in the paper is like half a millimeter.

Anyhow, TheGnoll, don't feel "evil" critting me. I need it! Yeah, I'm very bad with muscles especially on males and creatures, so I'm working on it, I swear!

I'll try to update with some newer sketches.

Someone said I needed to do more life cast drawings so I'm gonna find all kinds of interesting stuff around my house to draw since I don't have any casts yet.

Thanks again for the advice.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't remember this s/b... Improvements by the bucketload! Try some males too...Crap I need to practice some Females!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really liking that skull... and the rest, too (although some of your girlies should lay off the hairspray )
    We've gotta keep this place alive while everyone is off having fun...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Captain Skinny is looking pretty darn flash. His far goggle may be a tad larger than his near, but the different textures of the materials are nicely done. Also, non of the upper teeth look to be overlaying any of the lower (usually, when the molars are together, the upper incisors will be in front of the lower, though your skull may vary).

So, I've been by here several times and it's obvious you can draw what you see. What I'd like you to try is drawing something from ref, then drawing it again without the ref. It will really tell you what you're observing and what you're just seeing. It really picked me up out of a rut a few years ago (which I've comfortably settled back into).

Flip off the desert for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That skull with the aviator's cap is pretty rad, goo. The paper gives it a shitload of interesting texture that I'm fucking SURE was a bitch to work with, though. Nice book.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just did this one with no ref. It's a family portrait. ^_^ My husband's gonna kill me for effing up his nose. Should've used a ref for the gun (as usual), and his arm is all wonky. I think he's less chunky and I'm more chunky, too.

Maybe, I'll do this backwards of your suggestion dogfood: Without ref first, then take ref pic, redraw it, and see how badly I was off

Thanks for all the great and helpful feedback, guys.

I'm making mental notes:

• draw from ref then draw by memory
    • more males
    • more male anatomy
    • less "hairy lines" (i don't know what that means)

Onto drawing more stuff!.....

Trés Cuté Sketch Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice! I like your monster concepts, very imaginative
    Maybe you should study some more anatomy though, your human forms are a bit smooth, or rubber-like, learning more about anatomy and how to define it should help!
    Hairy lines means going over a line over and over again, making it scruffy and messy, so just work on getting cleaner lines

keep it up, that last one is pretty funny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow... i just love your fashion sense :3 i hope to see more of your work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good

hahahahahaha

不错,我喜欢啊!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update June 22 2006

This is a logo design I just did. I can't sleep for some reason.

I think I'll just redo my site around this logo instead how I was going to do it. I don't like the font yet, though.

Here's the logo in the splash page.

Anyhow, let me know what you think. I'm gonna go try to sleep again....

EDIT: Holy shit. This is my 1,001 post. I'm an addict.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the new logo, much better.You've got some fun stuff in your site, enjoyed the flash animations and the one where you can change clothes to the dude and the gal.
    The family portrait looks good, now your husband has some original clothes
    I'd just rework on your arms, and give the whole scene some ground shadows just to bring them to the ground.And btw, you're still in time to erase and rwork on the gun

...now those are two hyper cool dogs.

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Ursula,
    I think these are Good crits.
    * draw from ref then draw by memory
    * more males
    * more male anatomy
    * less "hairy lines" (i don't know what that means)

I think you could work more on Anatomy period, male, and female. What you are lacking is Form and mass. How the body is made up of different shapes.

The Less 'hairy Lines' or 'Line Quality' is fucking hard to understand. I had one instructor harping on me the whole semester about line Quality , yet he never explained it to me, but somehow I understood with time what the hell he was saying. I think I woke up one morning and 'DING' I understood.
    What Archipelago said was good advice. More of a direct line, one time application type thing. The line quality comes in when you use thinner lines for the boney parts of the body, and thicker softer lines for the fatty parts of the body. Some people don't even draw the line when light is shining on a part of the body. This is Getting all fancy pansy, but to some extent it is very useful to describe something in a simple and subtle way through line.
    When you start drawing direct, your drawings will look like total crap, and you will feel like you have no control, this is normal. you just need to practice and get comfortable with it.
    Also another good Practice is.. if you want to do Characters, but you are still working it out, and want to make lots of changes. Get some traceing paper and start a rough sketch of your gesture, then once you think that is correct and good with flow and what not, put another traceing paper over it. Start working out the anatomy and proportions ( this will also help you to learn more about anatomy) then after you are satisfied with the anatomy, start drawing the charcter with clothes on( this will also help you with how cloths over lap, and fold over the body) This can be your final stage, or if you feel like you totally botched it, start over with a fresh new peice of traceing paper for that last stage( For the Final drawing I use Vellum traceing paper. It has a nice surface and is fun to draw on, also it erases very well) On the last Stage you are pretty much set with gesture, anatomy/proportions, and cloth. You can pretty much reallly pay attention to your line quality, and direct drawing. This exercise really helped when I was in school. It seems tedious, but if you are doing a character you are really into it is much more fun then doing boreing anatomy studies.
    I hope that was helpfull, sorry for such a long post.
    -T

ps. A great book to check out is 'Drawing People, how to Portray the clothe figure' By Barabara Bradley
    She was my teacher, the one who gave me the traceing paper assignments.

Last edited by poise; June 22nd, 2006 at 10:44 AM.
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW, TIFFANY!!!

Thank you for the elaborate explanation! That was a very helpful read. I will try out the tracing paper idea. That seems like it would make perfect sense and be very helpful for me. Thanks again!

Trés Cuté Sketch Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by magicgoo
    WOW, TIFFANY!!!

Thank you for the elaborate explanation! That was a very helpful read. I will try out the tracing paper idea. That seems like it would make perfect sense and be very helpful for me. Thanks again!
    Ditto...I'm gonna try that out too...

Also, StaceyDiana gave me crits in terms of drawing in pen along the same lines (no pun intended) - take more time to figure out where the line goes. I know the way I usually draw is throw a ton of lines down until I "find" the right one.... that's what causes hairy lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by glikster
    Ditto...I'm gonna try that out too...

Also, StaceyDiana gave me crits in terms of drawing in pen along the same lines (no pun intended) - take more time to figure out where the line goes. I know the way I usually draw is throw a ton of lines down until I "find" the right one.... that's what causes hairy lines.
    That's exactly what I do. I circle around and around with the pencil until I find the right lines. Then I just darken those and leave all of my mess underneath.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ummm...awesome? This is some nice shit here.... Do you mind if I leave like, 2-3000 troops here? Do ya mind? Wouldn't want me getting drunk again, would ya?

I'll be around :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a couple of old things, while I'm working on new ones. Dates are on the art.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update July 20 2006

I've been spending a lot of time in the sketcher program and here are some results:

Some idiot came in and deleted the layer this was on, but fortunately, I took a screen shot right before, and just added her hair in Painter.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Magicgoo! I'm liking your sketchbook. I don't see you sticking to your plan of drawing more non-female characters, but any SB filled with lovely ladies is okay by me! Maybe you can add to that goal drawing different femal body types. People tend to draw males in all all different shapes and form, but stick to drawing females as having the typical hottie body.

I'm always interested when someone has difficulty drawing males but not females. To me, females are all about subtlety of curves while with males you could slap any two lumps of clay together and call it a male body. Of course, I'm not saying I'm very good at drawing either, but females definitely give me a harder time.

This was my favorite female, good pose and very expressive face.

This is my favorite ink job... I like that a lot of it is rough around the edges, but smooth where it counts.

Keep working on the digital colors and hellish creatures!

"Baby, you make me wish I had three hands!"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.