Sketchbook: Madplanet's sketches (updated 3-4-07) - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Madplanet's sketches (updated 3-4-07)

Dutton Guest
    Hey Mad! Guggen stole my shellhead/shocked joke so pretend I said it. I just realized that you've probably posted in my SB more than anyone else and I've yet to post in yours! That said, I really like what you've got going here. My favorites (and you probably won't be surprised at all by this) are the Rodin sketches. I love the loose outlines and it actually resembles Rodin's sketches even if you were sketching sculptures. Goes to show that outline drawings can be interpreted into 3-dimensionality huh? I also like the way you framed your Detroit sketch with the overpass. It's detached and creates this feeling of isolation, something I'm going for in my cityscapes.
    Keep at it and sorry I've been so late posting here. I'm also sorry I won't get to meet you in Montreal. Would definitely liked to have had a chance.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Majinpunisher: Hello, MP and thanks for stopping by. It does the old ticker good to hear that you like my hand studies; I've struggled with hands (drawing them) for most of my life and really wasn't very good at doing them, so I've been trying and actually I enjoy drawing hands now. I'm also aware of what you said about outlines, but I just love drawing that way, you know, just trying to do something cool with line. But yes, it's something that needs attention.

Bumskee: Yeah, it has been awhile, but I've become patient and I know that my 'peeps' eventually will come by. Peeps is such a stupid word, but I use it a lot with my dogs. My pups are my peeps... I'm really enjoying that storyboarding class and some of the assignments are a lot of fun. Always like hearing from ya.

T-Raktor: Hey, thanks for the tips. I think that I do have to pay attention more to simple shapes and how they react with one another. I have to much distortion in a lot of my images; sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Bad Brownie: You can call me mad if I can call you bad... I like to see that more people like the imps o the traffic light and maybe I'll do an update with the mooning imp, too! I already told you thanks on the Barbara Nessim thingie, so thanks again. Glad to hear your comments, too.

Blacky: Hey Blacky, I hope that you are having a great time in Greece and I can't wait to see the sketches and hear some great stories. Ha, that second storyboard was my pathetic attempt at creating some kind of sci-fi spaceship portal opening type thing, but the more that I scribbled the more of a mess it became! I still got an A, though. My pen work probably seems better just because I do it more than pencil, which seems to be lacking in certain areas.

Johnny79: Hey buddy, thanks for leaving the tutorial and you can hi-jack this thread anytime with advice or what not. I wasn't sure if I was heading in the right direction with what you said previously, so it's good to actually see a demonstration. Thanks for all of that and for stopping by. See ya later.

Guggenmaneuver: hey Joel, nice to hear from ya and it's ok as long as you're producing all that cool stuff that you've been doing, which is great, I might add. I was happy with that Niagara sketch, too. I've only been there a few times, but I never get tired of watching the water go over the cliff, such power. Froze my ass off this time, though! It's funny that you thought the same about the shellheads. I was thinking Iron Man all the way! I make it a point now to sketch wherever I go. I always did when I was younger then got away from it by making excuses. My biggest regret was when I was in Italy a few years ago. We were a part of a tour group and was always on the go, but I should have made a better effort. My excuse was that I would sketch from my photos when I got home, in which I did, but it's not the same. So, sketch on whatever trip you take by gum!

Dutton: hey Dutton, glad you stopped by and left some comments. You are by far one of the best illustrators around here, so I appreciate the time. Another shellhead fan, so i'll have to do some Iron Man sketch. I've been inspired! Rodin is one of my favorite artists and have always enjoyed sketching his sculptures, it's a lot of fun. Those Detroit sketches were fun to do. That's not an overpasss, though. It's the elevated train-like system that we have here called the People Mover. It just goes in a small loop n the downtown area. I find it kind of interesting in a visual way because it looks almost out of place weaving in and out of the buildings. It breaks things up. Well, Montreal is still up in the air for me because of a lack of funds. My work isn't exactly hopping as of late and I haven't had 40 hours in months. I'm gonna try, though.

Ok, well not too much to report since my storyboarding class is taking up a lot of my time. I just did a big assignment, but didn't have the time to scan it before turning it in, so when I get it back I will share. It was a fun project, we all worked from the same script and had to focus on camera techniques and transitions. So, I just have these two sketches to show for now.

More to come...

Last edited by madplanet; March 4th, 2006 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    madplanet, you got a healthy amount of sketches in here. Some things are starting to look interesting. I would like to see more anatomy sketches and master copies. Try to find master drawings where you can tell how they rendered the piece and try to emulate that. That way it will give you a better idea how they and how you should go about rendering forms. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't have anything to say except that this thread kicks some major ass.

"Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very interesting two sketches. The first one is like drowning in ones thoughts and it is very contagious when looking at it.

The second is very intense, like a lot of emotion it thrown on the paper, the construction lines actually increase this impression, they create these crazy little whirls, add very much to spontaneity, punch in the face kind of effect.

That's what I think for what it's worth.
    Lines are great. interesting that the manners to hatch are the same in both sketches, but the outcomes in emotion are opposite.

Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    madplanet, during this last visit to your sketchbook I was thinking to myself how strong your black and white ink drawings come across. Introducing another tone can often be confusing because it's hard to decide what is shadow, what is light and what is midtone. Keep working on that toned paper and limit your color pencils to black and white, using the background of the paper as the third tone like you did in that portrait study. Great work. I'd love to take a storyboarding class sometime. Will look forward to seeing more posts from that class.

"The progress of learning is from indefinite to definite, not from sensation to perception. We do not learn to have percepts but to differentiate them."
    J.J Gibson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matt Smith: Hey Matt, funny that you should mention copying masterworks and such. I've been thinking about just that lately, but I haven't had figures in mind when doing so. It's more about color, so I've been flipping through my books on Dali and Benton trying to find just what I want to do. Stay tuned, hopefully I'll have something started and thanks for your thoughts.

Masterpug: And all I can say is a major thank you! I'll visit your thread soon.

Sve: Hello Sveta, nice to hear from you! Hmmm, I didn't really notice that the line in the two sketches were that similiar, but I'm glad that it was effective. It's funny that you see intensity in that last one; it was more like ennui, ha, ha. I think it was just the way I was looking up at the mirrors that give that look, but hey, I'll take it.

Sleeperservice: Hey SS, thanks for coming by. Do you think that using the black and sienna ink pens on the tone paper is distracting? Maybe using colored pencils, like you said would have a better look to it. If you ever get the chance to take a storyboarding class, I would highly recommend it. I'm getting a lot out of it; a lot more than I would have thought. It's been a blast so far.

At the Detroit Science Center:

A very stylized eye. very:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Madplanet,

I don't think the black and sienna inks are distracting, but with the addition of the white and blue inks, I can't tell if you are making a color drawing or a tonal one. In some places you have started making color statements and in other ones you have made value ones. Remember that when using color, it only works if you have fully described the forms underneath it by using the right value. Otherwise it is too confusing for the eye to figure out what is going on. My suggestion is to limit your work to three values and describe as best you can what is going on, since you seem to have pretty much figured out how to work in two values.

"The progress of learning is from indefinite to definite, not from sensation to perception. We do not learn to have percepts but to differentiate them."
    J.J Gibson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeperservice
    Madplanet,

I don't think the black and sienna inks are distracting, but with the addition of the white and blue inks, I can't tell if you are making a color drawing or a tonal one. In some places you have started making color statements and in other ones you have made value ones. Remember that when using color, it only works if you have fully described the forms underneath it by using the right value. Otherwise it is too confusing for the eye to figure out what is going on. My suggestion is to limit your work to three values and describe as best you can what is going on, since you seem to have pretty much figured out how to work in two values.
    good call i think. you might want to try that all out with three grey markers of a different value. (eg 10% 30% 50%). its great to sketch with the 10% and then correct/refine some of the stuff you put down while at the same time looking at only those three values.

same can be done with pencil of course but a new medium might break some of your habits.

anyway - keep on sketching man

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sleeperservice: Hey SS, y'know, I guess I haven't been too clear on whether I'm doing a tonal or value sketch and sad to say, I wasn't thinking about it, I was just sketching. I'm glad that you metioned this, though, because it made me realize that I might be a bit lazy in my approach. Thanks for the advice.

Tensai: Hey man, thanks for the comments. I think that I will try the markers some. I saw in your thread when you posted the Copic markers and I thought that they would be good to try. Is there a reason why you prefer this brand over, say, prismacolor markers?

I was reading Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf and she made a reference to waking up to rowing a boat to shore and I thought that that was some interesting imagery, so these are a couple of sketches that came from that.

An Iron Man/shellhead bit from previous comments and some other fun:

This is from an assignement for my storyboarding class. We had to draw three panels that told a story, but they had to be able to be switched around to tell three different stories with the same images. So this is what I did:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your style is just so much fun to look at. I was going to comment on the eye piece, but then I saw the header and though that it might not matter. Just that the lids seem detached from the rest of the facial skin. Anyway, I'll stop buggin' you and let you get back to work.

"Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent, excellent character work. You've got a great, fresh style going on here. Almost reminds me of Shel Silverstein's stories.

Honestly can't find anything to crit. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on you.

Melissa Renae
    Website // Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mad. I like that pic a lot. I'm noticing though that you almost always work with pens n such. With lines I mean. Specialy when doing backgrounds. That tackes up a ton of time compared to using brushes n ink or colours. So I dig your colour stuff a lot. You seem to have been quite busy with art for the timebeing of my absence. Thats good.
    Funny storyboards. Fresh and interesting.
    Some of your pencil stuff's hard to read though.
    So long...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya, Bruce ! How's things ? Fine I hope !
    Strange: I'm trying stop smoking and that pic talk to me a lot ! Hehehe !

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78...et/2-21-06.jpg

Some nice update, keep working my friend.
    Cheers.
    Julien.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Masterpug: Thanks MP, I'm glad that you think that my stuff is fun to look at and I think that you are right about that eyelid. I didn't notice it right away, not until you did. I'll definitely pay more attention to that detail. Thanks for coming by.

Steinspinne: Hey there, thanks for stopping by. I've never been compared to Shel's work before, so that's really great to hear and I'll be keeping an eye out for you too!

Blacky: The Grecian traveller returns! I'd like to hear those stories too, so don't forget to write them somewhere so we can read them.

Yeah, I do like to work the pen lines and I am aware that I seem to waste a lot of time filling in large areas with line when I could fill them with a brush; I seem to like the effect. I tend to zone when I'm doing that, too. probably not a good thing. I'm glad that you like the eye, I was wondering what people thought of that; I don't think that I know what to think of it at times! I tried to darken that pencil sketch in photoshop, but apparently not enough. It's a leaf blowing with the sun trying to poke through the clouds. I got the idea when I was in Niagara Falls last month and I would like to do a piece where just the leaf is in color, maybe reddish.

Alday.J: Julien, great to hear from you again. I hope that that piece talks good things to you and isn't encouraging you to smoke or anything! So, was that SP with the wisps of smoke rising from your forehead in your thread about quitting? Good luck with that and I'll talk to you soon.

Ok, first some 'toon news. I have four cartoons that will be published in two magazines hopefully soon, but can't show them until they are published. One is under contract, so that would be a no-no. And I have two cartoons in the 3rd International Indian Cartoon Contest with the theme of Cyber Humour and here they are:

And some more sketches...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Halloa Bruce.
    Really wonderful update. Glad to hear your works will get published in some magazines.
    Like the second picture. Gave me quite a laugh. I think you managed topic on't really well.
    First one's more interesting to look at, but I don't get why face on monitor is sad when it says cyberHUMOR.
    Nice hand studies. Of all your handstudies I like em the most so far. Great idea to use red too.
    Am ancious to see what will become of the leav idea. Right now I'm slightly confused about what you ment when describing your idea, but it sounds interesting.
    So long....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blacky: hey buddy, how's everything? Can't you find humor in a disgruntled overloaded cyber goofball kind of face? Maybe I was being too vague. I got that idea from watching my brother one day. He's a tech/gadget/everything kind of guy. Well, he had his cell phone, pager, PDA, they were all acting up on him as well as his scanner, computer..you name it. It wasn't a good day for him! I thought it was funny. I like doing those hand studies like that. The red is a red ochre pen. Thanks for the comments.

Here are some more storyboards from a camera techniques assignement.

Trying some marker stuff on Tensai's advice.

This week's COW that I didn't get the chance to go further with. This class takes up most of my time, lately.

And an idea for the final project in my storyboard class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates Madplanet. I'm intrigued by your storyboarding posts. Do you have any books you are using as reference in class? Have you heard of this book "The Grammar of the Film Language?" I picked it up several years ago and found it interesting.

Keep up the great work! Nice hand studies.

J.J Gibson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That stylized eye is wicked! lol I like it! I really love the toony work you're doing too. That one with teh CPU andthe cell phones and stuff is really great. This line work-y type style seems to be pretty popular among the kids nowadays... must be the Napoleon Dynomite thing. : shrugs : You're really kickin' it in here, Planet! Lookin' forward to more... storyboards that is!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by in my sketchbook. I just had a look at most of your SB and I like it a lot. You show a lot of originality, very inspirational.....
    Will keep an eye on this one...

Cheers,
    Arco

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ArcoNL: And a thank you for stopping by here and I'll be watching out for new stuff from you as well.

ZebzFree: Hey Zeb, nice seein' you around again and thanks for the comments. You gonna eat those tater tots? I'm glad that you liked the eye, I kind of liked it too.

Sleeperservice: I looked up that book and it seemed like it would be useful, so I ordered it from Amazon. It's a thick book, yet should be useful. Thanks for recommending it. Thanks for stopping by and leaving some comments.

I posted this in the WIP section and I'll post it here too. I'm doing a comic type story for my final project in my storyboarding class. This is page two, the pencils and then the inks.

Here are some sketches for that project:

And some other stuff:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, Mr. citizen of Michigan. I bet it's even warmer at your place than at mine, gosh it's April and it's still freezing cold.....would like to go to Michigan some time....I like to travel.....
    Oh,.....I came of topic. It's like this one aneqdote about a literaturecritic and Günther Gras (a German writer). They walk down the park and talk for hours. Well, actually only G. Gras is talking, namely about himself. Then suddenly he'd stop and say ; "Now we've talking for too long about my person. let's talk about you some more. What do you think of my new book?"
    I like the updates.
    Specially last COW and this storyboard the yellowish BG does it lots of good I'd say. I like Yellow.....argh..have to stop that....sorry...
    Scetches are coming along real nicely, am looking forward for how it will turn out like.
    This one has a dreamylike quality, like the hand. Mind colouring it in some subtle manner?
    Last pic is really intense, nice. Although I'd go for some BG.
    So long....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I especially like your inkworks the most..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job on the hand studies, something I should do more of

I really like your style in the Ants pic and the creature in the fire place. You've got a nice editorial style going for you. I really like your "stock" piece too.

Gotta comment on your drug inspired aquaman with the feathers. Makes me think of a Jules Verne inspired Icarus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing work friend... wow i've missed a lot since i dropped in last. subscribed now thank you... it's what... like $34.95 a year right? shit... can't pass that up. can't have any sane planets lying around. cheers and thanks for your support friend. great work on this page-->very very nice
    -joel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the one which guggenmauver pointed out to! maybe some highlights on the wall's to make things pop a bit more.. like it nontheless! really nice updates since last time I've checked in

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blacky: Hey man, I can't complain about the weather here lately, we've had some warm days, it's been nice. Michigan would be a nice place for you to visit sometime, there's plenty of coastline and lots to see.

I enjoyed your anecdote by Gras and don't worry about getting off topic with me, I'm the king of going off topic!

I'm glad that you liked the yellow in the comic, I'm taking a different approach to this and so far I like the results too. I'll work on putting color to that sketch, too.

Sopor+Aeternus: The inks are fun to do and thanks for stopping by.

Dreln: Yeah, the hand studies are much needed and in the past I had a hard time with them, but the more that I do hand studies the more that I enjoy them.

Like I said in your sb, you are the first to 'get' the deep sea diver/Icarus sketch, so that, my friend, is really cool. And the jules Verne reference, just made it better.

I've enjoyed your sketches, by the way.

Guggenmaneuver: Joel, Joel, Joel, for you, it's only at the low, low price $19.99 and don't worry about any sane planets running around. What fun would that be? Thanks for the comments, dude.

Haldor: Hey Haldor, how's it going? I actually thought the same as you did about that page and added some highlights to the wall and to some other elements in the other panels.

This one is of our older dog Rita. She doesn't like to be sketched either, so this one took two poses from her. She actually laid down in the exact same position.

Rita under the lilac bush

And here are some more pages for my Hat Maker story. Pages 1, 3 and 4. Page 2 is up above.

Any comments on how I should have done these to make them better would be appreciated.

Dutton Guest
    Hi Madplanet,
    I'm really enjoying the look and feel in your storyboard/comicbook pages. Though it's definitely not the focal point, I have to say the treatment on the cobblestone deserves recognition! They look great. On the panel with the figure hiding on what looks like a roof section, I'd throw that entire platform into shadow, instead of just having his cast shadow there. The reason why is the light area looks like the other side of the street (even if the woman's cut off body shows it isn't the other side of the street), rather than a higher vantage point. That might help the perspective some.
    I really love the Rita sketches. The simple line quality in the second one is great; loose and expressive.I ought to sketch my cat more often, but she gets self concious when I stare at her too long.
    Have a great weekend!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dutton: Hey Dutton, thanks for the comments. I had some trouble with doing that ledge and wasn't too comfortable with the outcome, so I'm going to put the whole thing in shadow like you suggested. Thanks for the tip.
    Both of our dogs are always a little edgy whenever I try to sketch them-maybe they think that I'm stealing their soul or something! But I've always felt that I should sketch them more than I do. There's little things that I find amazing in them, like the bend in a leg or the way that light hits their fur. I should capture that.
    Hope your weekend was cool, too.

Here is a sketch that i forgot to include the last time.

This is a digital piece that I'm working on and since I'm pretty much new to this whole digital scene, I could use some help and any comments on this would be great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I´ve been away for a long time, so what better place to come back here than your sketchbook?

Glad you´re still attending your storyboard class, sequential art has always been one of my major interests. Your Hat Maker story looks good so far, I´m just a bit confused about where the caracters are at a certain point in the story, or more precisely, the guy with the skull on his forehead seems to be jumping up and down:
    On page 1, he seems to be standing on the roof of a building, watching the old guy on the opposite site of the street.
    Page 2: Panel two implies he´s standing next to the clock on the tower, then we see him down on the street in panel three (How did he come down there? Maybe a spiderman jump? Or did he just walk down some stairs?).
    Page 3: Judging from the perpective, he seems to be back on the roof again.
    On page 4 he´s back on the ground.
    I guess you´ve made some perspective mistakes on page 3 and he´s supposed to be on the ground? Maybe you could take a look at this diagram (also take a look at the previous and following pages as well ), which explains how to lay out sketches with figures standing on levels of different height.
    This one may also help you.
    Another great read may be the "Sequential Art #1" tutorial on Scott McDaniel´s site (www.scottmcdaniel.net click on the "Drawing Comics" section), where he explains how he figures out camera angles of a scene due to a location sketch.

And now some good old asspatting: Dog sketches are really nice, and judging from your latest posts you draw hands the way I always wanted to draw them. And that blue face, uuuh, scary....

Take care and thank you for all your support during the last year,
    Phil

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.