Sketchbook: Madplanet's sketches (updated 3-4-07) - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Madplanet's sketches (updated 3-4-07)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Diggin the sketches mad! You have some really nice ones (the brown paper) and some weird stuff too (like that blood bug and those contour stuff). Your cartoony style is great but I sense there's something wrong with it in some pics. They look too stiff or too sketchy. The inked drawings are way better!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blacky: Hey man, yeah those pencil sketches were done in about 2-3 minutes without much time to think of just what was wanted as far as poses go. So, we had to do a man in a suit with a briefcase, an alien, a dog, etc. These aren't subjects that I would normally do, so they come out stiff. This is one of the many reasons why i think that this will be a good course for me. I did try to draw Reggie (part chow, part lab) with the dog one and yes, the orange guy has plenty of attitude! We had to do Bart Simpson or Kenny from South Park. I chose Bart, but didn't quite get the neck part down. Thanks for the continued support and encouragement.

Taxman: Hello Phil, I recommend some classes then! I was surprised to read that you haven't had any formal training; just think about what you could do after a few classes under your belt. You do some amazing stuff as it is. The film noir kind of look is what I thought of for my suit guy. I wish that I could have done him better, though. Thanks again for stopping by.

Guggenmaneuver: Hey Guggen, how ya doin? Yeah, look out for that creature. It just so happened that that was the idea that I had earlier in the day for this week's cow entry, so I used it in class. I'm such a cheater. Those flower pots were done blind, so that's why they look a bit askewed. It is good practice and I plan on doing that frequently. So, are you talking about the possible Montreal workshop? I've been thinking a lot about this lately and it would be too cool to go to this one. Montreal is a good 10 hour drive from where I'm at (I went two years ago). And it's such a cool city. And it would be an honor to have you sketch in any of my sb's!

Transitory: Hey Transitory, glad to see you back. yeah, a lot of my sketches seem to have a lot of stiffness to them, especially as of late. I do like to sketch a lot in pen and this is probably why the rest suffers. Thanks as always for the crits.

That fat kid: Assumptions are my nemesis! Only too true, ha, ha. Unfortunately, a lot of what I've been doing lately is from imagination, especially with this storyboard class that I have (well, so far, anyways). I'm drawin' though, so I'll take it. Thanks for your comments.

Ok, here is what I did for this week's cow entry. The first one is before inking. I don't know which one I like better; I entered the inked version. What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hi there !!
    the last cow is cool ! care to explain more about it ? how it functions ?
    (because sometimes when you explain it to someone else you figure stuff out for yourself)

just keep at it and as mentler said on the beginning of this page, "stick to one thing".. i must agree to what he said, not a strict regime to follow, but try to start eating the hotdog from one side

cheers and your progressing great!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    would be an honor to have you sketch in any of my sb's!
    SHUCKS!, (double-up-) SHUCKS!-SHUCKS!!
    this un is lookin pretty good, though i'm not sure i'm a jibin' with the leaves for antennae thing--however, you should prove me wrong... make em the best durn leaves for aentennae ever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's one crazy lookin' creature, bro!! What is it? The hard work you're doing is paying off, man!!! Just don't stop! I know you won't. You're rockin' your thread pretty hard! Congrats on the tablet. Hopefully you'll get better with it than me. Heh. I suck at it. BTW, loved those toons from 31st. Especially the Nightmare Before Christmas lookin' one. Nice, nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey~

Been a while since I swung by here, you've posted some pretty cool stuff since then.

I remember having to do one of those "don't look at the page while you're drawing" exercises in school, mine didn't turn out looking as coherent as yours did, lol.

Love these two, too:
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78...net/above2.jpg
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78...anet/above.jpg

Keep it up yo~

My Sketchbook
    It's when you can't hear the bats, that's when the bats are coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the Chow entry. Its very simple and yet interestind as one whonders what it might be. I personaly see quite some sense in how it might function and what it is. Everybody could have his own version of't.
    But I agree with Guggen, righ now those leafes look sort of to be at the wrong place. The're confusing I'd say but you can improve it by adding some more somelace or making their function more clear.
    Inked version's much better, by the way.
    Wish you luck at the vote
    So long...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hurricane: Hey, thanks for coming by. I always enjoy your comments. I'm glad that you liked the cow entry; I struggle with them and that might be why I'm doing them. My ideas need extreme makeovers! And yes, I do need to stick to one thing, so I'm going to work on my figures a lot more. Thanks again.

Guggenmaneuver: Quadruple shucks!
    Oh, I'm so disappointed that you didn't fancy my leaf-like antennae, and that's what I thought would be the selling point! I kinda like 'em. I know that it's no Poo-noodler...

ZebzFree: Thanks for stopping in and leaving some comments. Yes, that tablet thing is a struggle and it will take awhile for me even to get close to anything that resembles something decent.pld: At least I'm not alone in the digital suckiness department!

Silentkitty: Thanks a lot, SK, I'm glad that you liked those two sketches. Those exercises are useful and I need to do them more often, even if it's just for warm up exercises.

Blacky: Ooh... another dig at the leaf-like antennae! Maybe this slug will starve to death, ha! Thanks for the visit and for the quirks...

These are some exercises that we had to do in my storyboarding class. The first three and the last four are mine, the middle five are from five different students in the class. They had no idea where our stories were going and had to add their little touches. I also got to contribute to five other stories. It was funny to say the least. My buddy Darin was not too happy with what happened to his.

Recent sketches

Detroit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Bruce !
    Nice stuff with the storyboard, some point of view are very good (like the man holding the gun, for exemple). The sketches are very energic, I like the mood of it. Keep posting, buddy !
    J.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, awesome update.
    Those storyboardclasses look like lots of fun. And there seems to be no real competition to be around there (judging from these guys scetches), show em mad!
    Yours look realy interesting. Like how you would not show face of this guy from beginning on and how you managed to make it all a worthwhile comprehendable story.
    this one reminds me of sve's works, nice
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78...kaylee-abe.jpg
    The eyes on this one are too close to each other.
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78...et/1-26-06.jpg
    This one's realy awesome. Love it
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78...et/detroit.jpg
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    everything looking good and getting better like the stuff!!

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Bruce, here I am, ambitious Sveta. Didn't believe my eyes, when I read it. And I just wanted to try the underwater effect and liked the photo ref. . I've too poor drop of ambitiousness in me, so small, it's pathetic, thought you need a magnifying glass to noticed it in me Don't change your comment, though. Let it be. I like to hear the first and honest impression.
    OK, enough of silliness, my silliness, mind you.

In the storyboard studies I like the first and the last one the most. Especially the first, it has a very nice feeling of events, one following other, like a chain, each moment. And I like the pose and the face og the guy looking in the deepness. Intriguing too.

Lincoln portrait. I like how he features reappear in those lights and shadows.
    Very nice street scene drawing, I really like your sensitive lines. Very nice feeling of the road, leading me somewhere. The sketch has a mood, as I see it, very calming, relaxing. Maybe just for me, because that's how I used to calm my nerves, before this forum .
    Just one note, are those light posts really this close to each other? Look a bit too close.
    Anyway, very nice composition and perspective, well, everything actually.

In the last page I like the portrait on the bottom of the page, a man with inspired hair, he looks awesome, really love to see the full figure. I see him as some proud citizen of Rome in toge, but who knows he might be some vodka and gin lover for all I know.
    How are your dogs, snow and new hidden sculpture. All the best to you.
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [/IMG]Alday.J: Hey Julien, thanks for the support. Those storyboards are due tonight, so we'll see how they go over.

Blacky: Those middle panels are from some of the same guys that just about destroyed my buddy's story. I'm curious as to how he finished his. Thanks for the comments and crits on those last few sketches.

Haldor: Always appreciate your comments. Thanks a whole bunch.

Sve: Hi ambitious Sveta! You really have been. And yes, that was my first and honest impression so that's why I put it in.

Those light posts are actually very close together and there are quite a few of them right in that area. That isn't a street though, it's the People Mover, an elevated monorail-type transportation thing that runs in a loop around the downtown area. Remember back in September when I went and took some pictures? Well, that was from that day. You remember the seagulls, don't you?

Dogs are doing good, we haven't had snow since December and my sculpture is still in the tree thinking about Henry Miller (he's not so new). Thanks for your thoughts kiddo.

This week's cow sketch: And the finished product:

Fooling around with the acrylics

Here's a little more of Sve's toga guy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pops a beer, sits back and enjoys new updates......nice ones.
    Dig the COW entry, the both creatures (rock and dragon) are very expressive). Everything looks realy clear and readable. Like the contrast of the dragons orange and bluish black of this rock's moutharea. Makes it pop out a lot. Maybe you should vary value of this moutharea some more, so it would look more like a cave or the opening of a pipe and less like a flat wall.
    colour in the clouds is a litlle too intensive I'd say it distracts somehow. (darkening left side of rock might do the trick, some volume probably would not hurt the Rock (would have to watch out not to loose anny of the clear readability though). It's great you give acrtylics a try again. like the upper left one. Try to have no more and no less than 3 colours in any tone you put.
    (there is no White to be found in on a human face, except for some few highlights, for example). Realy great penportrait of Kelsey.
    sve's toga guy? (explanation?) Looks familiar (post#225).
    Oh, darn, my beer's empty, gotta get me n other one.
    So long...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i've got to say madplanet that this cow entry is very, very nice... I know that you've gotten a lot of critiques on it, but i think that the conceptual side of it is really, really nice! It's so great that you put down your imagination like that for us to enjoy--> If i had to critique anything I'd say that the dragon gobbling mountain would befit from some scary upwards lighting or something... But it's so cool that you just busted this out for the COW! thanks for the encouragement in that thread by the way! It's because of your enthusiastic response that I now feel welcome there! cheers dude and keep up the great work! please try to come to the montreal workshop--> You can draw mad planets in my sketchbook!

Keep on burning it up like madplanet!

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blacky: Hey, don't hog all the beer... Well, I'm glad that you like the cow entry, but the more I look at it the more that I dislike it, especially compared to what the others put up. I just have to keep at it and get much better. It's such a simple design really, simple shapes, nothing too detailed. I put white in and I know that I was cheating a bit; lazy, that's the truth. Such a horrible reason isn't it? I know that purist painters will refuse to use black or white as they are not true colors. I don't really know how I feel about that, it differs from time to time. Take care.

Guggenmaneuver: Read the above to see how I feel about the cow entry. I don't really know how imaginative it is, but your right on about the lighting. In fact, it's amazing that such a simple image could need so much work to be redone! Oh well, that's how one learns. I'm glad that you are entering in the cow stuff, you bring a unique angle with the humor and imagination. So, keep 'em coming!

This is a cartoon that I did for a member of another forum for his blog. Something to do with the Prime Minister of Denmark.

More acrylic fun:

hands and shells:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aahhh update, great!
    Nice variety.
    You've gotta explain first one some more. Is it because of the Carricatures published in denmark? Somehow I though the guy kicking the other one out would be the Primeminister as you captured his features realy nicely. Or at least of the guy I saw on TV, taking him for Primeminister. Anyways, would like to hear your political view bout the issue.
    Realy like that you did these acrylic studies in ciascoro technique. Looking good. (although nose might be too big)
    Alos like the Handstudies. They make a good contrast to the creepy handstudies of mine, as yours look like very warm and earthbound hands.
    Shells are nice too, specialy upper left one.

Don't be upset about your scills in comparisson to all those other guys that made a COW entry. Looking back at what you have achieved so far, and all the work and dedication and effort you came up with already, I don't thing your optimism should be a victim of you "comparing" yourself to anybody.
    Look at it this way. had you been too lazy to come up with the sb you have, you even would not get the idea, you could compare yourself with those guys.
    So long...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blacky: My fan club is dwindling... Well, the cartoon isn't my political views, but the guy who I did it for. It has something to do with the hippies taking over Christiana in the 70's and apparently the Prime Minister wanted to cahnge that and kick out the drug users. I'm guessing, anyways.

Expect more shells. I found my old seashell collection from years past and I have them on my brain. They are fun to sketch.

Thanks for the comments and support with the cow entries, but I wasn't really trying to compare myself with the others. I'm there because of them, they do such awesome work, so I'm hoping to learn a bit. It's just at this stage, my stuff looks so simple. You should try to enter a beast or two. Guggenmaneuver adds a nice humoristic approach that is refreshing, so it would be interesting to see what you could come up with. Thanks for the thoughts...

Yes, I was caught again! I went back to the DIA to see the Rodin/ Claudel exhibit again with some friends and was caught and lectured once again on the EVILS of sketching in a travelling exhibit. They were not happy with me and actually brought out some support to keep an eye on me. They may have my picture posted on a wanted poster. My buddy called me the Repeat Renderer. Hear are the very quick sketches that I could muster before being apprehended.

Here are a couple of sketches for this week's cow entry:

Another Detroit Scene:

Shells...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Repeat Renderer? Is that a new MarvelComics Superhero?
    JK...
    But I think they're right about it at times. (Your Detroit scene's awesome, don't they dare call you R.R on that one). Your scetches in red consist of too many lines though. These usualy show if s.b. does not feel confidant enough about what he's doing. Draw with more confidance, you're doing great. Doesn't matter if a line or two are of. Yes, one has to strife for accuracy but you've gotta make them loock convincing and lifelike too. A line that is wrong tells its own story too, adding another one on top merely makes the two of em struggle with each other. Have a look at some pencilscetches by Egon Schiele, here's a painting of his.
    Shell guy's interesting and COWentry's realy scary. When colouring it, you could leave some areas hidden in the dark, so viewer could figure out what's missing all on himself, also makes it look creepier. Wish I could spend some time on a COW too, but have Exams to do and most of all a Portfolio to prepare. Don't thing the people at the University I am going to attend would dig Creatures. Will have to draw from life a ton. Take care.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sense of composition is great with the Detroit scene. Love the graphic balance between black and white (this shows up in your political cartoon earlier too. Marvelous handling of hatching. Try thinking your pencil drawings this way too, just breaking up the areas of light and shadow and thinking abstractly. Don't try and draw an eye, hand, etc. Just draw the shapes. It's a great exercise. I think you'll be a natural at it, judging from your inks.

"The progress of learning is from indefinite to definite, not from sensation to perception. We do not learn to have percepts but to differentiate them."
    J.J Gibson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! first time I've gone through your SB. I have to say I really love those city scapes. Remind me of the comic All Over Coffe. I used to like it better when he was a bit looser, but still quite cool. Nice Gestures! Keep that pen flowin!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blacky
    Repeat Renderer? Is that a new MarvelComics Superhero?
    JK...
    But I think they're right about it at times. (Your Detroit scene's awesome, don't they dare call you R.R on that one). Your scetches in red consist of too many lines though. These usualy show if s.b. does not feel confidant enough about what he's doing. Draw with more confidance, you're doing great. Doesn't matter if a line or two are of. Yes, one has to strife for accuracy but you've gotta make them loock convincing and lifelike too. A line that is wrong tells its own story too, adding another one on top merely makes the two of em struggle with each other. Have a look at some pencilscetches by Egon Schiele, here's a painting of his.
    real good crit. i think maybe what could help you with this is some blind contour drawing. just look real close at your subject and draw every little bump and detail in there. all the time just looking at your subject and not your paper. great excersise for the above..

keep it up man.

oh yeah - do i understand correct that you were not allowed to sketch in the museum? whats that about?

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmmm, there have been some changes to the forum since I have been away. I'll have to do some exploring...

My storyboarding class has been keeping me very busy as of late and I went to Lake Placid this past week and it seems like I've been away for ages. I finally got to try bobsledding. What a blast!

Blacky: Hey man, how's everything been? Yeah those DIA sketches are very sloppy. I wouldn't argue with you about the lack of confident lines, but they were done on the fly since I was being watched. Those were done in seconds. I know what you mean, though. It's strange how one day I can be on top of things and the next, not. I can't let that stop me, though. That Egon image that you showed is great. I've always liked him, but I seem to be more into him after seeing all the works around here that are inspired from him.

Sleeperservice:Thanks for stopping by. I love to explore that balance between black and white and that's probably why I neglect color, but I should do more. I see what you mean by trying that with pencil more and that's been a trouble spot, too. And I have been keeping shapes in mind when sketching; it's easy to lose track of, but it is a good exercise.

Andy P:Hey, thanks for checking out my thread; your sketchbook is great. Thanks for that link. I never heard of him before and would like to check out more, so I will. I can only hope of acheiving that level of line quality, though. Very cool, thanks.

Tensai:Yes, Blacky has good crits for me, always does and it's good to have that younger perspective. It's interesting to see things through his eyes at times. I got away from doing the blind contour drawings for some time, but I have been getting back into doing them. They are fun to do and it is a great exercise. Thanks for your thoughs.

This was an exercise for my storyboarding class. We had to do a Long Shot, a Medium Shot, and an Extreme Close Up.

More shell heads...

A Capprotti inspired Venus that I was going to try for the last CHOW, but Lake Placid was calling my name.

And speaking of that, I did manage to do some sketching on our trip. We stayed in Niagara Falls on the way there and coming back. I couldn't believe the wind. It was scary at times.

I couldn't believe how built up this place got since the last time I was here (99). The last time I could see the Skylon tower, now a casino is there.

And here's the one pathetic sketch that I did in Lake Placid. Cold, cold, cold.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there-

I just thought I'd jump in and say that I really like what you've got going on here. Things that pop out to me in particular:

-your hand studies
    -your eye studies
    -your city scapes/buildings

Those are definitely rock and roll. Really like them. Also your sense of humor. I know it was posted a long while ago, but the gnomes on the traffic light definitely rock. Also you've got some from nudes that are really looking sweet, the one thing I'd say to keep in mind is, in regards to the from nudes and face studies, people don't have outlines. I mean, you may be going for that, but I'd say trying it out without the outlines too. Not really a critique, just a sidenote, you know.

-MP

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hello, been a while since I last came around I think. you work so hard dude. hehe. love the storyboards, looks great and reads quite well. OOO love this one, great angle..
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78...net/above2.jpg

cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job....buuuut you need improvements. Like try to make more real life drawings. Take an apple and some other things, put them in front of u, and try to draw'em. U will see some improvements. U have imagination, and nice touches, but u lack a sense of shape. Good luck! (and visit my SkB )

Check put my schetchbook if you please
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61551

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mad, (can i call you mad?) ; )

Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook! I adore your imps hanging off that red light. I sympathize! I'd love to see one on there mooning the viewer, spanking his own ass. ::sigh:: Hilarious.

Some of your color choices and subject matter remind me of an artist named Barbara Nessim, just slightly. Ever seen her work? It's pretty cool, very stylized. She has the most AWESOME studio in NY city. ::drools::

Anyway, keep on progressing! your biggest problem seems to lie with anatomical proportions, although it has a certain stylized look that can be charming...and your subject matter is great, i love that weird tree on the head. Anyway, I like your inks probably the most. = )

See you around!

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Absence and booze.

There are no small sketchpads, just small artists.

The make-perfect button must come from within.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bruce. Nice storyboardstudies (although I'm not getting what second one's supposed to shoe). First one is real funny though.
    Shellheads look interesting. Shell in coloured version sits on body sort of unnatural I'd say, like cut out and pasted on top. The bottom two shellheads on pencil version-paper look perfect though. I can see the two of communicating with each other. Shellheads look like real faces on't.
    Your scetches in pencil lack some contrast in my oppinion. I'm sure they're more easy to read in real life, but perhaps it's because of your scanner or something, but I'ts hard to distinguish the lines. Your penwork thus pops out way more. Love your handstudies and niagary falls. Wish I could go there some time too.
    So long...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi madplanet!

You are on the right track. The lower right pic of the battery goes into the right direction. Just turn around the box. The goal of the whole thing is getting a feeling for overal shape, composition and ...most important.... perspective. Details and textures can come later.

I´ve made a quick´n´dirty little tutorial for you.
    Don´t wanna hijack your thread, so I can delete it again if you want

the battery was meant for scale only. Just think that it is a person. And imagine the boxes as buildings behind the figure(s). You´ll note that in most cases the vanishing points will be off the page.

"seeing" the planes means seeing the oulines of figures, dark-and-light-edges, ...etc
    ...or simply go out and draw some buildings... it´s the same thing

Hope it helps

Last edited by johnny78; February 27th, 2006 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey madplanet bruce,
    it's been a while since i stopped by––i'm glad to see that you have been working hard and steadily, which of course makes me very happy: This is unprecedented and is a really gorgeous quick study. Its as if i can hear the roar of the waterfall just yards away... So you are drawing shellheads??? Where is the real, original shellhead??? Sorry... bad joke that isn't funny ... still, the title of their letters to the editor column was "shock it to shellhead." anyhow, great to see that you were doing some drawing during vacation... I always want to do this, but it never seems to work out that way because my girlfriend or family will have me walking two ways at once. This year (MONTREAL) will be so different though! Keep up the great work mad, you are making some good progress! cheers,
    joel

Last edited by guggemmaneuver; April 22nd, 2006 at 12:49 AM.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.