-----------------------------------------------------------
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice loose sketching style on that last update. =) keep rockin! And thanks, you and everyone else here inspire me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey madplanet, your sketches are just great! I cannot but adore them.

Most of all I like the pumpkin stalk, it is absolutely tangible!
    And the idea of a figure in the stalk... Just great!

The Chicago sketches are very dinamic, it seems they reflect dynamism of the city itself.

And who is the man in pilot's spectacles and a cap?

Madplanet, some time ago you promised to post more colour drawings... Well, where are they?

Best,

Anna Gavrilova

oil paintings - ART-VOLGA Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Black Market pastries, eh? I'm in. What's good for the syndicate is good for you.. (have you read Catch-22? sorry for the semi obscure reference..) Anyway, your coming along nicely. When were you in Chicago? Those pen drawings are nice. One thing, on your pencil drawings, push the darks. Don't be afraid, darks are your friend, I promise. Just don't get carried away. The contrast would make your pumpkin still life rock.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SVE: Yes, as I was drawing the woman in the stalk, I was thinking that it was too obvious, too. Mind was in the gutter, as usual. It bugs me, so I'll work on it some. Chicago is great because it's a mix of the old and new. I love all the old buildings, they have much more character. 20 more posts? How about 4 for now.

HALDOR: Thanks Haldor. Those three people weren't even together. I just sat there and sketched them as they came into my field of vision. I gave the lady on the left a much prettier life partner (the one in the middle).

HURRICANE: Thanks for coming by and for the cheers.

VAN: Thanks Van, I feel that way about you.

ANNA FROM RUSSIA: Hey Anna, thanks for the comments. I'll have to revisit that pumpkin stalk and maybe do it in color this time. The guy in the pilot's glasses and cap is an idea I'm fooling around with. Kind of like a night time navigator of dreams, an adult Little Nemo in Slumberland. Darn, I have to get some color done!

SEDIG: Haha, I'll have to do a sketch of that back alley pastry guy selling his wares. Yes, I've read Catch-22, great book. Oh, semi-obscure references are my specialty. I was in Chicago this past weekend (21st-24th). I will push the darks, usually I do, but not lately. Thanks for the comments.

Here are some more Chicago sketches

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, madplanet. U-u-u, serious stuff all the way. Beautiful sketching, lines are fast and vivid. My favorites are the whole first and third pages. Between them I like the most the girl near a water puddle,a dolphin's tail, the grayish bass, the guy in turban (that's the nicest) and a guy in a side view. The upper side of somebodies face is very interesting too
    Sveta dudetta

Last edited by sve; October 28th, 2005 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! SORRY!!! Mondo Apology for you, dude, I didn't mean to fool you. (BTW-huge update, go check it out..)I was in Chacago that same weekend. Did you get to see millenium park? Anyway, your pen stuff is great. The only thing I see is the hand on the bottom of the third page, looks a little off, but hey, great stuff. And don't chicken out on that back alley pastry vender. I want it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great update! Sketching with a pen, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THAT FAT KID: Hey kid, thanks for coming by and for the comments.

SVE: hey buddy. Yeah, that's me, serious all the way. I'm going to do that fish in color, it had the brightest redish/orange stripes that looked cool as all hell.

SEDIG: yes, I did see the park, but it was raining that night, so we didn't stay there too long. I loved just walking around downtown in the rain. You know, I knew that hand was bad when I did it, but I figured I'd post the bad with the good. One pastry guy coming soon.

VAN: Hey Van, nice hearing from you. Yes, I love sketching in pen. I started doing that years ago and can't stop.

Here are some sketches that I did at the Detroit Institute of Arts at the Rodin/ Camille Claudel exhibit. What a great show, too bad it's not going anywhere else. This was the first time that I was told that I couldn't sketch during an exhibition. being the rebel artist that I am, I wasn't going to let them tell me that. I was lectured three times. I have sketched in Italy, Holland, Canada and all over the U.S. and this was the first time I was told this and in my home town yet.

And some sketches at the coffee shop. I'm hooked on those Milky Way Latte's. I need bells and whistles with my coffee...

And these two are some cartoons that I have in a competition somewhere in Germany. At least I think that they are in, I got an invitation to the show, but it's in German, so I can't read it. The theme was Don Quixote.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When people are too serious I want to pinch them a little. So here I go: Pinch .
    Say: Damn.

Great update, madplanet . I really love to see how you do the rendering, very unusual for me, those whimsical, curvy, very elegant lines. I would love to see the whole figure in this manner. Very, very beautiful, aesthetic and expressive manner to draw, in my opinion.
    Well, this is one of attraction in your way to draw: you use very different lines and rendering to express different moods of yours. You will never be boring to viewer, I think.
    As I said the sketches are very appealing to me, the most beautiful are the hand, the pencil head, the next to it profile in pen ( you saved the same style for both media, interesting) and the back of a head on page 3. Very dynamic talking lines.
    Thank you for posting colored painting, well. that's a different approach.
    I feel for Don Quixote in both paintings, he is sure got yourself in a awkward situations. I don't know what is worst for him, living in cruel medieval times or in our, confused and full of mental illness. He will not survive, I think.

Great images of those meaning business ( and not with good outcome for the main character) clouds. New lines for them. Wavy, going round and round, accumulating negativity above poor Don's head. No chance for him, unless some hero enters the picture to save this hero .

The second one. Well, madplanet , you really like to shock decent public, don't you? I have the same expression on my face as Quixote and Sancho. I admit, she is beautiful and very domineering in this painting, Dulcinea, the precious flower of his dreams, who he devoted his heroic deeds to . Very ironic, I love it. So thank you for the wonderful treat
    Sveta dudetta

Last edited by sve; October 29th, 2005 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo mad, whats up?

I like your Don illos, you should get someone to translate that german dude!

I love the clouds forming the giants above him, very subtle but overlooming!
    Critwise Id just say to beef up the core a bit, as to give everything a bit more volume. That is quite easy with watercolors, though. I just think some of the elements need to "pop" more!

Cheers Timmy

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That´s right. Don´t let them say where you may sketch and where not

I wasn´t allowed to sketch in the Liechtenstein Museum in Vienna.... Or lets say: They didn´t even let me in, when they saw my sketchbook

They might thing that we want to copy the pics and sell them on the black market

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some cool stuff going on here! What do you use, is it pen, ink or what? Sorry for my ignorance.

Keep it up!

Each one, teach one. P e a c e

VS

Check out My Sketchbook

Latin & Spanish Group

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    there's some goldnuggets in here
    great imagination and cheers for keeping the paint wet

BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SVE: Ok, I say: Damn. Thanks for all of you comments, but I think that you are much too kind. No one has ever described my stuff as curvy and elegant, though. That's a first. The Don Quixote cartoons were fun to do. Don't you think that it would be funny for old Don to find his Dulcinea in a strip club? That movie with Sophia Loren wasn't too far off . I'm glad that you liked them.

TIMPAATKINS: hey Tim, Thanks for the crits and comments. I'll keep that in mind and I'm going to translate that invitation, too.

THAT FAT KID: Hey thanks for the visit. Yeah, those bastards, tellin' me I can't sketch of all things. Every artist has to have a little rebel in him or her to stand up to such oppression!

JOHNNY78: Ha,ha, they can't stop us! They didn't even let you in? Usually I get in before they start with the comments. I was in Cincinnati at their art museum once and they had a security guard follow me around because I kept my art supplies in a WWII gas mask pouch. They were quite offended by that, I must say. Thanks for the thoughts.

JTHEANSWER: Hey, thanks for the visit. I'll return the favor. Yeah, those are just done in pen. Just your run of the mill Pilot pen.

HURRICANE: Hey man, thanks for coming by, always appreciated. The paint needs to be wet more often, I'd have to say. I need to be much more productive.

Last Saturday, I went to the Scarab Club here in Detroit and did some figure drawing. It's been awhile.

Here is this years Halloween sketch, the Green Goblin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn, these are nice, that old lady is creepy as hell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Madplanet!! nice update, love the sketches, there's something about your lines..great style, hehe yes, the lady is freaky.. eee. nice halloween sketch! keep it going dude.. more coloured pieces!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, madplanet, you shouldn't doubt about curvy and elegant lines of yours. That's true.

So it's a strip bar, your famous aquarium. I knew it! From the first post with this little ladies riding seahorse, I knew where you draw you inspiration . It took a lot of time and resources to make you admit it .

looking at new update. Yeah, Halloween indeed. The vicious visitors from under world. My god, like her toad-like face is not intimidating enough she is holding a knife long enough to go through human flesh. Very good allusion in mood and style to cruel medieval times.

Goblin seems like a nice guy after that. He's just speeding, no blood sucking. That's kind of nerve calming. You gave him a very good gesture to throw those pumpkins out.

Very expressive hands, strong, greedy, with an aplomb.

So thank you for the interesting udate.
    Sveta Dudetta

Last edited by sve; October 31st, 2005 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Madplanet, these new sketches are just cool!

I absolutely love the Don Quixote drawings. The expression of Don's face is exactly as pictured in the book - completely lost and shocked by the world that surrounds him. I especially like his moustache - shocked and frustrated as well. Best of luck at the contest!

From the latest sketches I cannot but be awed by the medieval lady. The face expresssion is brilliant, it has a very heavy look, the glance of the lady as heavy as well. She seems to be judging somebody. And I cannot but adore your style of drawing.

When will we see that bright fish in colour?

Best,

Anna Gavrilova

oil paintings - ART-VOLGA Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice drawings! I like the goblin, maybe try a different angle or perspective, like giving him some speed sensation or something.

Dont know, just an opinion.

Each one, teach one. P e a c e

VS

Check out My Sketchbook

Latin & Spanish Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update Mad!

I notice on them though that you have a tendancy to really push hard on some lines as to darken areas, but in single lines. Unfortunalty this really distracts the eye from the whole, and makes the sketches very rigid. Just a few of those kinda lines make up an invisible box trapping your n ice drawing. It also makes YOU the artist unwillingly focus on them. I suggest trying to do the next ten or so sketches with NO contour or hard linework, just building the shapes by gently adding values. Do you have a kneadable (sp?) eraser? These can help tone down areas that are overly rendered.

I did the same thing untli my drawingteacher beat me with a stick.
    Verbal that is...

Keep it up!
    Tim

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    STYLER: Thanks man, yeah she was kind of creepy. She stared a lot.

BUMSKEE: Thanks for the comments and for stopping by, always enjoyable. I did a teeny bit o color in this update.

THAT FAT KID: Thanks for your thoughts, dude.

SVE: Hey buddy, thanks for the thoughtful post. So, my inspirations seem to be from the strip club, eh? In Holland they have these little plaques in the sidewalks that say Hond In De Goot, or something like that and translated it means 'dog in the gutter.' Meaning to have your dog relieve itself in the street, but that about sums me up sometimes. Dog in the gutter, Hond in de goot. I'm glad that you liked the last ones, but this one has another skull/football sketch, so I may be pushing my luck on this one.

ANNA FROM RUSSIA: I'm glad that you liked the Quixote cartoons, I wanted to catch that lost, dreamy, confused way about him. Hopefully, it goes over well at the exhibit. I worked on that fish a bit, but I didn't like the way it came out, so I'll do it again. The color version is below. Thanks for the comments, I always look forward to them.

JTHEANSWER: Another Goblin sketch? I don't know if I have the ambition for another one. Maybe next Halloween.

TIMPAATKINS: Hey Tim, you always have the suggestions that I need! Work, work, work. I'll keep those suggestions in mind in the future. I reworked the football/t-shirt sketch to your suggestions, is this more of what you meant?

Here's the Fire Eel done in water color

This one came from a dream, or let's say a hallucination that I had. In the dream, this guy is involved in some type of disaster and he ends up saving a few people, but can't save others. So, every morning when he looks in the mirror, he sees the corpses, the ones that he was too late in getting to. So, they haunt him in a way.

And here is my reworked sketch for the painting that I posted awhile ago. I took johhny78's suggestion and tried to work it out here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey MAds, that wasnt really what I meant, is it ok if I use the original and do a quick ps redo?

Tim

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ghehe, I wouldn't want to be that guy who saved all those people. After all the effort he did saving those people he still is haunted untill eternity..

once again great update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I'm an idiot Tim. You'll have to show me, so sure you can do a redo. Sometimes I need a visual or a smack in the head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, Haldor, now I know what you're afraid of. So this is what happens to people who promised pictures of Holland and then pretend like they lost all their energy.

Hey, madplanet, I'm from the same gutter. It's what inside us that counts. An artist should draw anything: beauty, ugliness, dirt, and now I know, violence too. Viewer will see the artist's thoughts hopefully. I hope the viewer is mature enough to use their own brains though.
    I like the guy who didn't like his mornings. I would freak out and probably would be drunk each and every morning just to live through it. He is holding up pretty decently. I feel bad looking at him. Are you sure he didn't do anything else? Maybe he has something else on his conscience. His face is likable though. Very sad, hopeless, doomed eyes. Yeah, he is not afraid anymore. Just tired.
    How about adding colors, I think they will add so much. I like this greedy for other person emotion crowd. They're almost having a party drying up this guy past happy life. No, he definitely did something else.
    The last drawing I like as design.
    Do you have any sculptures to show?
    Sveta Dudetta

Last edited by sve; November 6th, 2005 at 11:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It´s nice to see that you keep working on your skills.

Some suggestions:
    *) I think there is something with the old lady´s face. It looks like her eyes are abit too far away from each other.
    *) The reworked entrance/arch is turning out well. Think of your light source first. Looking at the face, it seems like it comes from the upper right corner. So the stones should have a heavier shadow in their bottom left edges. Draw in some shadow texture with the same principle and it will look more convincing (just look at a pic of such a stone wall: they have some kind of dark bumps all over their surface, which are the shadows)

Hope it helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see you are testing yourself for a path to follow, playing with different strokes and styles. the sketch6.jpg is an amazing idea done in a nice smooth stroke that goes well with the sketch13.jpg that reminds me of little prince or tin tin. sketch-16.jpg is very very interesting and can also fit is as a book illustration.

But you also have this type of stroke: sketch8-14.jpg and i like it very much. it is more agressive and bold this one as well: 8-21sketch.jpg.

Some of the sketches made me think you were french but then i saw you are from Michigan USA so nevermind.

Keep it up mate.

saludos

Mario

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TIMPAATKINS: Hey Tim, where's my redo? I'm jonesin' here!

HALDOR: Thanks for the comments. When I did that sketch I was thinking that yes, he will be haunted for eternity by those corpses, but that they are there not in a bad way, but to let him know that they lived and died and didn't want to be forgotten. Unfortunately, he will be the one to remember them every morning.

SVE: I kept wondering why you keep coming back and it's because we live in the same kind of gutter. Who would have thought that you of all people would say such a thing. This gutter is getting crowded. I tried to explain to Haldor what I wanted to say with that one, but I think that the mirror guy is haunted by nothing other than survivor's guilt. I really want to work on that more and it sure needs color. Sculptures? I don't know if that would fly in a sketchbook thread. Maybe I'll start a thread over in the sculpture section. Thanks Sveta, for your well thought out comments.

JOHNNY78: Hey Johnny, thanks for the helpful tips and I'll definately be putting them into work. When I did that last sketch, I can't believe that I didn't even think of doing any shading on the bricks. it seems like I was just fousing on the keystone and nothing else. One track mind.

MARIOUCCI: Thanks for visiting my SB and for looking at my mish mash of material. I didn't realize that I had a different style of strokes. If I could realize that when I'm doing them and control that somehow, I thionk that It would definately help improve my sketching. So, what about my work makes you think that I was possibly French? At any rate, I'll take that as a compliment.

Here's a small update. This first one didn't come out quite like I wanted it to. I didn't really want the eyes to be angry, but with the color maybe it's more appropriate.

Ok, now that photobucket is cooperating again, I'll try addind some more. The pencil sketch is from imagination, all the rest are from reference.

Last edited by madplanet; November 13th, 2005 at 10:39 PM. Reason: photobucket issues

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Bruce .
    I'm always coming back because I feel at home here, I already have my homey things here ( like a merry-go-round, for example, or pumpkin twist, or flying rino) and I am free to say any stupid thing. You are open-minded enough to allow me. And I'm coming to see new.

Very beautiful drawings made with a brown pen (marker). Please, don't be lazy, make the whole figure in this style. Really, I look with such a huge enjoyment at those flowing so different lines. It's a pleasure to look how you create different textures with them. The beard is really prickly, the skin is smooth and stretched at times. The face of a cowboy and Arabian guy are great. I love how you separate planes, I'm still a baby in that.
    Very nice coloring in lantern, very warm. And shading is very pleasant to look. Really, I would love to see 10, 15 colored pieces in your update. I'm learning from them, how to express different materials with colors.

The eyes are not human, a bird, maybe? looking forward to see more of it.

the guy portrait is great, do the whole figure, please. So thank you

Sveta Dudetta

Last edited by sve; November 14th, 2005 at 09:58 AM.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.