Thanks

Whitaker workshops -- Scottsdale, AZ

A few of you might remember me as the wilted old guy painting from gorgeous Misty at the Austin workshop. I’m holding two five-day workshops in Scottsdale, Arizona this coming year. I specialize in painting people – from loose to high focus styles. The workshops are very intense and I personalize my “coaching” to fit the individual style and need of each student. This will not be about creativity, but about accuracy and technique. You folks are creative enough!

In the off chance that any of you would find it useful to your development, I’m posting the notes I wrote about the workshops here.

If you are interested, write me at willsand4@comcast.net. You can see my website at www.williamwhitaker.com

Bill

WORKSHOP NOTES
    In the next twelve months I will be teaching two workshops at the Scottsdale Artists’ School, Scottsdale, Arizona. The dates are Monday, November 7 through Friday, November 11, 2005, and then again in April, 2006 – probably the last week of the month, Monday, April 24 through Friday, April 28, 2006.

The tuition is $575. I’m told registration starts August 4, 2005. (Hope I’m right about that!)

Register by phone (800) 333-5707 or (480) 990-1422, Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Mountain Standard Time. Arizona does not go on daylight savings time. Check the website, http://www.scottsdaleartschool.org/ for more information.

I am teaching figure painting from live models in natural, traditional north light. There will be no more than eight artists on a model and I arrange the positions myself and make sure that everybody has a great spot. I’ve been told that we can have three models this year. This would mean that there would be five or six students to a model rather than eight. The only question is if there would be enough light to have three models. The room is large enough, but I’m not sure about the lighting. This is something for me to figure out between now and November.

My teaching will concentrate on practical ways to:
    1. achieve accurate drawing
    2. mix and paint glowing flesh tones.

The school opens at 8:30 in the morning. We have a half hour to get out our equipment and prepare our palettes.

At 9:00, I demonstrate for a couple of hours. During the week I will show how I start a painting and show my finishing techniques too. I will show at least two approaches to painting figures and flesh. I also want to show two useful quick and accurate drawing techniques.

From 11:00 until 1:00, you paint from model #1. There will be eight artists working around one model. All places are carefully set up by me and then assigned by lottery.

After lunch, you will have your second painting session on model #2. The session runs from 2:00 until 4:00. Those who drew the most difficult painting positions during the morning session will get the best painting positions during the afternoon session. You will work on these two models all five days.

At 4;00, the workshop is “officially” over for the day. However, I’m going to arrange it so we can retire to the library where I will continue to show you the best things I’ve learned in my lifetime of painting. I have no secrets and I will hold nothing back. My goal is to see you succeed as fast as you can and I earnestly hope I can save you lots of time in your learning experience. At 5:00 p.m., I go back to my hotel and crash. You folks go out and party.

Scottsdale is a handy affordable place to be for a workshop. The terrain is flat and easy walking. Weather in November and April is usually perfect. I believe the school has worked out discount arrangements with several handy hotels. The Homestead Suites (http://www.homesteadhotels.com/minisite/?hotelID=106) are just a block north of the school. Everything you need, groceries, convenience store, restaurants, all kinds of shops, are within easy walking distance. Scottsdale art galleries are concentrated along Main Street just two blocks from the school. The Thursday night “art walk” is a highlight. Phoenix airport is not far, and once you get in to the Homestead Suites or the other places to stay on the school list, you wll not need a car.

Your materials list will be as simple as possible, mostly paints and brushes. If you have to fly in, I want to make it as easy as possible for you. Last year I provided New Traditions canvas panels to the class at cost. I also brought odorless mineral spirits, brush washers and Scott “Rags” which I provided free.

If you are interested, please email me at willsand4@comcast.net. With a bit of emailing, we can determine if you are ready for the class. You will be spending money and I want to make sure it will be worth your while.

The classes might fill up fast. I’ve been told the first day of registration can be a trying ordeal. I’m hoping I can provide the school with a list of candidates (and their phone numbers) that might ease things a bit.

Classes are limited to sixteen students each.

Once you have registered, I hope we continue to stay in contact via email so I can give you a bit of coaching on drawing and other things.
    William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,434 Times in 2,935 Posts
    William is one of the finest figure instructors in the world. He was our esteemed guest instructor for the Austin Conceptart.org Workshop and created an absolutely beautiful painting there with us. I will admit it was the best painting I have ever watched happen in front of my own eyes.

Mr. Whitaker do you have an image of that painting...a photo that you might post? I think if you post some art here they will understand why they need to go to this kind of event.

If any of you are in the phoenix area and want to work on your painting skills with a true living master of the figure, this is the time to do it.

It was an honor to see you paint Mr. Whitaker. I hope that we may have the opportunity again sometime.

Jason Manley

Thanks
    i just looked at his website. wow he is damn good. I would totaly go but i am pennyless.

Thanks
    Oh man. This is really horrible. I mean, I could freaking run to the damn thing but I cant afford it.

Thanks
    Jason,

Here's the sketch of Misty I did in Austin during that wonderful summer workshop.
    I painted it in oils on a sheet of frosted Mylar.
    Mylar is convenient, archival, requires no preparatory priming, and is easy to store. I use it a lot for oil sketches.

Bill
    William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

Thanks
    hmm very interested in this.. i have the money but i have no experience in painting yet but that might not stop me.. might justhave to see in a month or soo to see how my $ is doing
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Wow, it would be such an honour to meet the great Whithaker.
    Your portraits are amazing. Very beautiful. Really nice to see the pinacle of portrait art.

Thanks

oh drat

wow, this man can most certainly paint!
    i live in texas and can't make it to the workshop.
    but i was wondering mr. whitaker, is there any chance of you holding more workshops like this again? perhaps privately? it's sort of short notice to try and round up five hundred plus dollars and plan a trip out to arizona, but i would love to receive private instruction from you if you host something like this in the future. perhaps at a ca workshop? ...but not the one in prague! lol. i couldn't possibly afford that.

Thanks
    blaargh, i live in phoenix and id love to go.. just need to get some cash first though
    Sketch.Team.DUO
    syrogen
    jMarkus

Thanks
    Oh come on Syrogen ! You're on location ! I'd love to attend, but... Well I'm a big chicken so I'll try to find something locally first but it'd be great if the workshops went on

Thanks
    I have no cash and I'm going... good old Credit card lol. Actually it's paid now. Come on guys, no excuses, this is William Whitaker we are talking about here.

Thanks
    Damn, My home town. Let's see, I could hitch up with the rents for free just gotta pay for gass and the shop, not to mention the time off of work. Man what a decision. Anybody know any good loansharks? hehe.

Thanks
    See ya there Blackhawk! Anyone else signed up from CA.org?

Thanks
    Yah, im curios who is going as well. Maybe we could arrange a meet at one of the figure drawing classes at the same school.

Thanks
    $575

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Yeah, cya there Deschamps. I'm game for getting together with anyone locally to do some drawing beforehand. Hit me up with a PM.

Thanks
    This is an Old thread, I'm going to revive it
    The workshop sounded great! I would love to see one of your demo's again.
    -T
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise