Thread: Willy Wonka

Thanks

Willy Wonka

this movie was awesome. a lot differnt from the first, but IMO beter. its not the musical the frist one was but theres more story. i loved every minute of it. for all the nay sayers out there : IT WAS GOOD SO HAHA!

the oompa loompas were good too. this was the " omg this could make or break it" part of the mive and they(he) diffenently made it.
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The trailer just said crap to me, I doubt i'd change my mind watching the film. I never even liked the first one anyway, lol

Thanks
    I really enjoyed it, especially for the challenge on Burton for recreating such a recent classic.
    Honestly, I have no attachement to the origional --- more appreciation now, but as a child it creeped the hell out of me.

I never read the book, but this new one felt more like it was following litterature - I loved getting to know more about Wonka, and Depp did an awesome job as usual : ]
    The music was very Danny Elfman -- one of his better ones.

Thanks
    the trailer doesnt do it a whole lot of justice. there was some awesome story telling which i wasnt expecting and very much enjoyed. its nothing likt the musical 1st one but in a good way. this is seriously some good movie time. you may not LOVE it but you cant go away pissed off or in a bad mood. Depp did a much better job protraying willy then Gene did in a truer form. willy is a kid at heart and Gene (tho nutty in a kid like ay) never really appeared to be a kid. Depp on the other hand was a kid in the in the fullest. from the way he talkes to his facial movements and how he dresses

BTW the first one scarde me as a kid but i still liked the story and imagination. this one goes WAY farther into willy being a child at heart and the factory promotes that very good.
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Thats why I probably won't like tim's, I LOVED the first one for its musical qualities. But I'm going to keep an open mind since i am a huge tim burton fan. All the reviews are saying he failed in his effort to convert a classic, so it's nice to know that's not the consensus.
    -Call me Semaj for short.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,683 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssenkrah Semaj
    All the reviews are saying he failed in his effort to convert a classic, so it's nice to know that's not the consensus.
    I wouldn't say that's the consensus at all-- 82% positive at rottentomatoes.com.

As for me, saw it, loved it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    I loved the original. I've seen it hundreds of times, and it's a total classic to me. I saw this one yesterday and totally loved it. It outdid the original in a lot of ways. Willy Wonka was far more out-there, and at the same time far more believable. Gene Wilder's Wonka was an eccentric businessman who seemed magical and almost omnipotent, Johnny Depp's is a paranoid childlike recluse, and in the end it turns out he's the character that has something to learn, not Charlie. I was worried about them giving Wonka a history, but it ended up taking the movie to a whole new level I never anticipated.

The Oompa Loompas were awesome. The songs were great (although I only caught like a third of the lyrics). Danny Elfman did a great job.

The set design was awesome. I loved the Buckets' house.

There were a few things I missed from the original. Mostly the wonder of the factory itself. The original had a lot of little detours around the factory that made the place seem so much cooler, but in this one they just sort of hit the important rooms and move on for the most part.

*SPOILERS*
    I also liked the original's ambiguity about what happened to the other kids. I liked that you never knew if the kids actually lived or died. And when they do show the kids come out alive, it's done in a very cartoony fashion, which led me to wonder if they were going to go so cartoony, why they didn't use it to greater effect in the factory itself.
    *END SPOILERS*

All in all, it'll probably never be as iconic or classic as the original, but it's probably the better movie.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    I saw it last night good movie interesting, weird, and enjoyable take on a classic...but there is no comparison the first is the best. I loved tim and Johnny's take on Willy Wonka but it was just enjoyable not magical like the original.

The one thing that bothered me was that i couldn't hear the songs that the oompa lumpa's were singing wish they had shown the lyrics as the original had.....
    -Call me Semaj for short.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Hmm. I thought I'd skip this one but now I just might check it out afterall.

Thanks
    Just because Depp looked so freaking disturbing in the trailer I'll go see it.

Thanks
    I liked it too but Depp looked too much like Michael Jackson w/o little boys and a tiny nose.

Thanks
    Awesome movie. I recommend it. I went with my parents and my little bro' to see it and, funny enough, my little brother (he's 10) enjoyed it the least.

Dahl was such a fucking genius.

Thanks
    This movie is awesome. I sneaked into the second showing right after I finished watching it the first time. It's also much closer to the book than the original.