Characters for a personal proyect[BIG UPDATE :) ]
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Characters for a personal proyect[BIG UPDATE :) ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Characters for a personal proyect[BIG UPDATE :) ]

OK, for the ones who already visited this thread, i compleatly updated it, i moved all the "relevan" pic to the top, and removed some more, the reason is i dont want to start a new thread, and i did changed the atmoshpere of this proyect for a darker one...for the ones who saw the fist pics, you can tell the difference ....well here it is:
    Be patient, 10 pics in total

The fist character, i edited some stuff, problems with the style i was using and make her less thin...

Then whe have the 4th character ( but what about the second and the third...well truth is im correcting the design so it fits the new concept of world)

Now the new characters:

Thats all, as you can see is a more "post-war" thing, no apocaliptic, just decadent...i have plenty more, then final thread is supose to have 77 characters plus some extras that count as uniform desigs and stuff...

C&C

Last edited by Shamagim; August 4th, 2005 at 06:52 PM. Reason: updating
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the way each has a strong individual color scheme - I also like the way you used the props and the poses to communicate the traits of each character. You can see clearly their different personalities.

my advice to keep improving is to copy magazine photos- heads, hands, bodies, clothes whatever, or if you can get one of those books with nude models. Do a few figures a day and youll steadily get more information that you can add to your drawings to make em even better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great colors and i really love the faces and eyes. They are really nice. The middle one has some problems tho - the eyes on that one looks a tad off and the nose is slightly flat(needs a bit of shading). But very nice work even so. The last one has more "body" than the others. Keep going that way (agreeing with memento313). Also dont cut of their feet like that, better to have full figures or crop them like the last one - higher up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for not replying this sooner, im kinda sick Xd, thanks for the comments

memmento313: Thanks, im really glad i acomplished the character´s personalitys...ill take your advice and practice a little more with references.

Fellah: Thanks aswell , the second character does have problems in the eyes and the nose is way to flat, ill fix it and update it later...didnt meant to cut off the legs, just run out of paper, but ill make more poses of the same characters to practice .

Last edited by Shamagim; July 19th, 2005 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love that second batch of characters!!!!! especially the first and second ones

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, im uploadiong some more, and ill move the new stuff to the top of this thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...XD...still not interesting enought i guess, gotta keep making some more untill i can finally show ya the "point" of this characters, Heres one more for the pink hair 12 years old kid...that ill probably wil end up naming as Lily ( still thinking on a proper name)...at least the ones that did notice the 2 flowers on her hands will know the reason..or at least start to imagine it ( though maybe nobody did notice T_T)

ill keep adding some more, C&C please

Last edited by Shamagim; July 25th, 2005 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    .hahaha, still just me, talking to myself....maybe ill develop an imaginary friend that may be interested in my work XD

Well more...this one might confuce ya if you compare them to the gals over there...but is also part of the proyect im making for myself in here.

EDIT: pic moved to the top

More tomorrow...

Last edited by Shamagim; August 4th, 2005 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi dude First of let me say that this is very interesting I really liked it the first time i saw it and now im getting to love it. This is for sure a direction you should be going at and develop further. The new set of characters are a big step on in the style. My favorits are the animalwarrior and the girl with the white hair - interesting characterdesign and they look like they have a story behind them. And a lot more "body" - they pop out more than the first two. It seems like you payed more attention to proportions on those and its easy to come up with an inviroment for those. The purple skullkissing girl (old boyfriend she cant let go off?) - i really love her face in the first drawing - is very cool. And of course i dig Lily. The face is amazingly loverable and the haircolor is great. She still need some work with the anatomy tho - shes a bit to skinny - most 12 year old kids are - but bend the rule a bit and come up with an easy to draw form for her(if you are going to draw her many times its best to get that down fast i guess. Again - a little (just a little) more body would benefit the look of her. Make her look less breakable. I dont think it would kill her cuteness much, maybe even add some to it. You seem to be going that way in the last drawing with the meateating(?) flower - great drawing btw - maybe she should show a bit more emotion tho. Btw the drawing where she is sitting down on the ground holding the flowers; her hand and feet is turned the wrong way i think?
    You got the front look of the faces down pretty solid, but im not to sure about the profiles. Lilys nose seem a bit too pointy and the skullgirls lips slightly too big. This is very smalltime tho, but maybe do a lot of profil try outs to see what works and what dosnt.
    Again - i am starting to love this style (already do)and i think you got real talent! The color work is nothing less than awesome! Really beautiful man! The characters are coming on really nice too and the little crits i can think off should be easly fixed. Do your thing man - do lots of it - you do it good!
    When you finish your comic book i will buy it for sure

Last edited by Fellah.; July 21st, 2005 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your colouring style, its very bright and gives a very distinctive lively quality to your work. My only advice would be to sharpen up some of the textures and shadows to give a more definitive shape on limbs and other outlines, and to possibly work on the shape of the limbs a little, the long and skinny look is cool but it needs more definition i think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks a lot!!! ..ill keep updating the pic, already updated the fist 2 ( the hand and feet thing i hope is forgoten by everyone who saw it XD)..i made the legs less thin ( still look thin though XD)...added more contras and some lines that were just worng or not even there, but only small stuff...

New today, the redesign of the second character, "Iris", i change her a lot, to a more humble character, dont worry about clothing, they do change clothes often ( and ill draw the same characters with different combinations, but slighty similar, with their favorite color shemes, etc)..hope you like this one, is a little more flat colored than the others
    EDIT: pic removed

More today ( is morning in my country right now....i was going to post this one a few hours ago, but i fel asleep XD)
    Thansk Fellah and WrittenShadow

Last edited by Shamagim; August 4th, 2005 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting style and they all coming along up nicely. the cat creature from the first post remind me a bit with Naruto the ninja, dunno why ,maybe because the hat, hehe. you have a nice coloring style. maybe the line art could have more solid? just my 2 cent. nice work anyway...good luck with your comic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehehe, well thanks, actually that cat was in honor to my cat ( a really fat and messy american shorthair cat...simillar to a Maine coon, but mixed...though i didnt made the stripes, to much work to be added in each panel), the thing is, the idea of making a personal proyect came from looking at some old sketch books...i found some old characters that deserved a chance to be "remade"..but i changed a lot, all that remains from that actuall design is the spear/humbrella ( you cant see is an humbrella now, but ill make more poses of that character later), and the classic forehead protector...ill try not to make my work to "cliche", but theres one things i would like to honor of my old tastes ( wish are fading to create a more tolerant taste...)

Thanks for the reply, already ahead in the stronger line thing, the newest has something more acceptable, ill update the rest later with some better lines, plus some new characters...or the same ones with different clothes and poses)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff...kinda slow this time, i had some things to take care of.

Well, only 2 days to work on this personal proyect exclusibly, starting this Monday i have to make a few "minimun exposure" conceps for work....ill try to pull of the same thing that made me have this free time ( make 35 color concepts in a week and a half)..

Enought excuses, here is a character that was born by experimenting with "Iris" redesign..the sketch had something there i think i could use to make this "secondary" character..and of cource keep practicing this style...EDIT:pic moved to the top
    (she is a man eater.......in bouth ways XD...also the dress migh get a little confusing from that pose, ill make more so you can see the design ) more later, working on waht could be a cover for the introduction of the word that ill be making next week..

C&C onegaishimasu

Last edited by Shamagim; August 4th, 2005 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Hi Shamagim, very nice character designs. I find the girl with the rock giant and the furry animal characters most interesting. You don't find too many girls with giants running around too often. You did a good job on differantiating them but at the same time all characters feels as if they belond to the same world.
    The only major thing i would comment on are their facial expressions, not all of them only the girld with legs cut off and the girl in orange outfit. I was never found of characters with open mouths, they seem to me as their are confused or slow(in thinking). But what i definately like is a girl with a skull, she seems really confident.
    Another nit picking are the girl with giant her toes on her right foot are misshaped big toe is small and the spread between her toes seems weird. Another thing that bothers me a little is a left leg on a orange girl that holds her glasses. I'm not sure if it's her shoe or her whole leg. The girl with a skull her right hand that holds skull seems in a weird possition. It would be more natural if she would hold the skull with her whole hand rather than just letting the skull rest on her hand. Another thing is the girl with the red dress would be nice if you would define more her butt chekcs. Also her slitt on the back of her back seems little bit weird.

Well that's all i have to say.
    Keep it up and keep on sharing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, thanks for the comment, the girl with the giant is updated from the last time, now is bigger and i tryed to fix the gap in her toes, and enhanced her lines, as for other updates, i tryed to fix Azalea´s Legs a little, and i updated her lines as well ( the white haired gal with the glasses), but the pose looks to dull to me T_T....at least is just a character making thread...as for the girl with the skull, i was going to say that the skull was floating, and thats why i only made it rest on her hands, intead i found out a way to exmplain abput "waht the deal with the skull"..and why it floats, etc.....ill update the red dress gal later, the bress does look weird...and her ass could use a little bit of light

now working on the city, so im going to take the trest of the day and work on it...cause after today i have to get back to work or by bosses will kill me XD.( ill still work a little more on this "personal" proyect)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty nice characters, a good range of designs different from each others I think. Yeah, some of them might still need a bit of work...can't think of anything that hasn't been said though.
    I really like the cat warrior, that is a neat idea and the red dress girl is hot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, i have an update of the Girl with the plants, stronger line and a different head.....and a new one, this is the second pose/ cloth pic of "Iris"...this time using the clothes from the original sketch ( you can see it at the beggining)..a little changed, but almost the same idea...still working on effects such as her " ice lance"...this is the last one..from here it goes a little slow...maybe a new one each 2 days...gotta get back to my other jobs XD.
    EDIT: pic moved to the top

Last edited by Shamagim; August 4th, 2005 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well after considering some stuff, and looking at my own work, i must say that there are some things im not compleatly happy about, such as the almost anime look....i think i can change all that, but i really want to know from ya all if the style should change or not...i have 1 pic with a style that i think it will work better for waht i want to make...the remake of the "skull girl", this time without the skull and the coat..and in a different style: ( the hands are just for show..this character doest always have them like that )

EDIT*: pic moved to the top

This time i really need help to finally decide in wish way should i go ( if you do see the differences between this pic and the rest ) Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Shamagim; August 4th, 2005 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok The last 2 charactersr:

Last edited by Shamagim; August 4th, 2005 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    not much to crit here...
    these are really strong character studies.
    but, i would like to see them develop beyond that.
    try some environments too.
    the space they are in will change them significantly.
    it will also allow you to emphasize your sense of lighting.
    play with cast shadows a little more.

how would you draw a character that only lived in shadow?
    or an aquatic creature... something intricately tied to its surroundings.
    (might be a good assignment for you)

like i said,
    super solid!
    keep it up.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi man - really nice to see the new stuff! A rather big change - going more to the dark side. I like this a lot too. Great characterdesign and concepts. Would be really cool to see them interact in some cool inviros. DS has some good crits - only thing i can add is some more anatomystudies - mostly focused on feet and hands(im doing that myself right now - its top boring to do, but is very helpfull and will make you able to do a lt of different poses with having to struggle too much. Keep it up man - its getting very solid fast. Hope to see a lot more! Like it bigtime!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to you 2 , ill just take the advice and make the characters in an enviroment, with different focal points and lights...i was planning on making the 77 characters fist and then the enviroments, but why waste time ...im already working on the fist one with 3 different light sources and a little more dinamism...it will probably suck, but i always can try making it better next time, ill post a WIP soon...

Thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one more

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.