Art: How do ya draw "hard-skin", like elephants and rhinos -skin?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How do ya draw "hard-skin", like elephants and rhinos -skin?

this is a question I've been thinking of since I started drawing scary monsters and creatures.... I've been scanning trough conceptart.org for 4weeks, but havn't found anything about it....

please, I'm pleeding you! help me!, help me!

-an other thing I have problems with is horns and teeth, when i draw them they look so unreal, and fake.... =help?
    -is it possible drawing teeth so they seem see-trough?, how do ya do that....?

Last edited by Hive_minD; July 16th, 2005 at 05:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hard skin is just skin that is has more rinkles and cracks in it. Just find some reference picks dude. Look up elephants and rhinos. Also when shading it its harder so the shading is not as smooth it would have more contrast. hope that helps,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by s.s.nails
    hard skin is just skin that is has more rinkles and cracks in it. Just find some reference picks dude. Look up elephants and rhinos. Also when shading it its harder so the shading is not as smooth it would have more contrast. hope that helps,
    thx... I'll give it a try....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh and you may want to try to post a pic then people will crit it. it kinda shows what you may or may not be lacking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i know.... got a couple of drawings, but a friend of mine is using my scanner... dunno when ill get it.... but when i do, im gonna load up pics...
    can you maybe give me an example? and send a drawing of ""rhino-skin"" -it would meen alot to me, and help me too.

[Hive_minD]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is a question I've been thinking of since I started drawing scary monsters and creatures.... I've been scanning trough conceptart.org for 4weeks, but havn't found anything about it....
    If you want to learn how to draw something, you have to look at reference photographs. Go here http://www.google.ca/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&q= and search for what you're looking for; however, please note that these images are more than likely copyright, so you should only be using them for personal reference, and not posting them online etc. You can also try stock photo sites, such as www.sxc.hu . Second: practice, practice practice. There's no "how to" guide that will teach you to draw perfectly. You have to study reference images, or, better yet, real life objects and practice drawing them.

-an other thing I have problems with is horns and teeth, when i draw them they look so unreal, and fake.... =help?
    People often have difficulties drawing teeth because:

1. They don't draw them individually; rather, they draw a straight line and divide it into "teeth."

2. They don't shade the teeth, or don't shade the teeth -enough-. Teeth aren't bright white, but an off-white, and generally covered by some shadows as there are within the mouth.

Again, find reference images.

-is it possible drawing teeth so they seem see-trough?, how do ya do that....?
    It's possible to draw anything your mind imagines. On paper, you could sketch where the teeth are, fill in the inside of the mouth, and then lightly continue to draw the inside of the mouth within the teeth, and then add shading and highlights to the teeth.

In Photoshop--or whatever art program you use--you can draw the inside of the mouth, and then, on a new layer, add the teeth, and reduce the opacity of that layer; + new layer to add extra shadows and highlights.

Just play around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, thx alot.... I'll get right at it.... in the future (when I get my scanner back) I'll post some pics..... then you guys could crit them and give me some more advice.....

P.S: (sorry for my poor spelling)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're still interested I attempted a little demo here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...644#post537644

Gilead Artist on Facebook and Twitter
    website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.