Sketchbook: OBX's Outer Body eXperiences
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

OBX's Outer Body eXperiences

well. This is my first post ever on CA.org. Kinda nervous i guess. It'll be gone soon. Ill do a lil BG first. Started to draw wen i was 5ish. But, never persued it in any way or thought that i was any good. wen i turned 14 tho... i got fascinated with a particular anime called DBZ and started to crank out crappy-ass goku and brollie pics. But then i realized this show sucked and lost my interest... and put my drawing on hold. I never took an art class until i got into grade 10... 10th grade to all u americans. Some how i started to get 100's and 90's on my drawing assignments. I was like wtf? guess i discovered some sort of a hidden talent that had remained dormant for a good part of my early life. (all those DBZ sketches paid off) So wen i say ive been drawing since i was 5.... the statement isnt necessarly true. nover really got into it till i was 18, but even wen i look back it was still somewat halfassed. And now that im 20... i actually am starting to understand and enjoy drawing. I find myself wanting and striving to get better. No longer be the kid satisfied drawing his DBZ and comic immitations. I wanna learn how to concieve and draw exactly wat i imagine. That is my reason for this sketch book.

So... here is a weak start to my sketch thread. ill get some more recent things up. these are just wat i have scanned in atm.

sketches and character designs.

A request from a friend. Inked on velum.

And a quick figure study done in PS.

Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by OBX; December 20th, 2007 at 03:28 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff, the ink is particularly sexy.

Looking forward to what you come up with

And theres no need to be nervous about posting here, whether you get no replies or 50 "omg u r so GR8t"s, all that really matters is pushing yourself to improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey ja...welcome !

enjoy the furios ride of a sketchbook!
    greetings!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thnx for the warm welcome. I checked out both ur sketchbooks inturn... they are very nice, like em.

I dont know y i drew this... but i attempted a redesign of buffy. Im happy with most of it... just dont like the left hand, and how the bottom wow in the skirt turned out. I added thos S&M style hi-heels.... but im not sure i like them... coz they say too much "S&M" and not "vampire killing" hi-heels. Was planning on adding more vampire killing gear... but decided it would interfeer with the cheer leader getup.

Last edited by OBX; July 16th, 2005 at 02:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, welcome to CA.

you have some cool stuff here. im glad your starting to enjoy drawing.
    my favourate has to be the samurai dude at the start, he has some very interesting lines going on. is that a tattoo?

anyway, great start, i hope to see you updating regulary (although i know how hard it is to update daily ^-^)

peace man

sketchbook
    blog
    website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, There are some nice drawings here!

I hope to see you updating regulary too.

(I drew so much DBZ stuff when I was around 12-13...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I didn't know spiderman's legs bend that way, any way, you've got good stuff here, your lines are really good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol... yah. i always liked to think i liked dbz b4 everyone else. It started to suck wen everyone liked it.

Owell. I like to make up stories. And ive been designing my own Vampire world. This is the character sheet for the main char... his name is kenya.

Kinda messed the levels up in ps coz it doesnt have this contrast IRL. The katana has the ablity to vibrate at the harmonic frequency of anything it touches. So it can basically can anything. And the blade extends like a utility knife. The core is hollow.... and gets filled with liquid metal that hardens upon the induction of electricity. Thus accounting for structural weakness of a hollow blade.

Rebecca: lol yeah. i had fun. I was learning about dynamic and static relations and the flow of forum. So even b4 i drew the pic i put down some establishing curves to follow. Lil to extremem, but hey, its a comic its ok to go overboard.

Proteus: thnx... mabey ill dig up some old dbz sketches and post them, that are the shittiest funniest things ever. Coz i thought they were teh coolest drawing evar wen i made them. Now i look and im like "wat a piece of crap!" Gives me a good laugh.

Cartoonfox: Yeah! that is a tatoo, im surprised u noticed! that pic is kinda old tho... mabey ill redo it, without the sketchage. Orginally he was supposed to be the one armed samurai. But i added the other for balance.

Thnx for the responses.

Last edited by OBX; July 19th, 2005 at 06:06 PM.
    OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey hey! some nice stuff here, like the detail of your lines and ink work, ur singer dude looks very much like what i did a while back, all cool. keep it up.
    very ninja scroll..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mmmmk this is a digi only post. Just some samurai thumbs.

all done in corel with the camel hair.

this is a wipLFD (work in progress left for dead). did this and the last one awhile back... but i thought id post them. Always fun looking back... and to make up for all the time i browsed the forums and never posted.

And this one is hot of the press done about 10 min ago... took about 10 min to draw.

hope u like... im just to lazy to scan.. but ill have stuff commin soon.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I really like your style. Also like the concepts for weapons and the detail you showed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    denyed:thnx, here are some weapon thumbs i did for a story i was creating awhile back. Had the scans on the comp... and u said u liked my weapon designes... so i thought u'd like to see these. Had fun thinking them up... some arent that original.. or structually sound... but who cares they are thumbs.

did them all with a 0.05 staedtler pig. linear and some warm grey and cool grey prisma markers to add tones.

thnx, again, for the kind thoughts. bare with me, im still learning... and dont intend to stop.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Nice props...it would be cool to see a spread of those developed in color. Could make a nice portfolio page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thnx brit, mabey ill get around to it and try my eye at some color drawings. Color isnt my forte.

Just got back from a week of vacation. Did a few figure drawings on the computer today with no ref. Something to look at till i get something better to post.

comments and crits plz.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice figure drawings dude. A lot of cool designs - i really like your weapons, would be cool to see a page full of some slightly more finished ones. Also i dig the legs outfit on the first girl. Spiderman is a bit crazy hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice drawings, as Fellah said.
    Crits: Look out for hand sizes, you are drawing them quite small atm. Also they are one of the most gestural parts of the body.
    Second, Hips man, they are there on everyone. Have a little look at how they work.
    Oh and the length of necks on your women.
    Great stuff, keep going!
    -B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx badger and fellah. I think i spent 4 hrs looking at fellahs sketch book and didn't even get halfway throught. Wicked stuff man. I love how all ur art feels soo raw. I like the stuff u got in book too, badger.

Badger u nailed me on 2 of my biggest... 3 of my most major flaws atm.

Ive tried to study and draw hands, but i just dont get them. I try to simplify them... but i dont think i have the patience to make sure thay look right, im usually to eager to start drawing and desiging the whole thing. I dont have much to post atm coz ive just been pumping out figure studies and am to lazy to scan any of them. But yah, if there are any good tips for drawing hands i wouldn't mind some. Ive got the burne hogarth books... and am told that his techniques are good but i just dont get them, well i get them but wen i try and replicate, it never turns out. Practice i guess.

And the hips... i gotta work on that... ive been comparing my studies recently and i noticed that i dont draw them right. again.... i think i have some sort of mental misunderstanding. My imagination doesnt understand the way they work entirely so wen i draw from my head... it doesnt look right. Owell, ill just keep working away.

OK im going to a sketch group tonite, so mabey ill post wat i make there.

Thnx guys.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some cool stuff here....like the spiderman one especially. Keep it up and would love to see some full concepts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't get too hung up on them, keep drawing is the main thing! I found hogarth useful for finger locations, but nothing compares to just drawing your hand, doesn't take long to do a few at the beggining of drawing, they don't have to be right, just an improvement.
    Thanks for the compi and reply, KEEP AT IT.
    -B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi dude - 4 hrs looking in my book hehe, thanks for the nice words!
    About drawing hands. My advise would be just to start drawing a ton of them - only hands for a while - dont worry about how they look or if they are right. Just get a feel of the form, mess around. Draw ugly without vanity. Sometimes use ref and sometimes not. After a 100 hundred ugly hands start to concentrate a bit more, use ref to try to get it right. And Hogarths hands are really good to learn from once you have cracked the code. I used to be very scared of drawing hands, but now i like it. Got a lot of problems with the hips myself btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thnx for the helpful information badger and fellah. Will definetatly put it to use... i already have lol.

ok just a quickie post right now, i gotta go skan some sheeeeit but dont have time.

Drew this after i finished one of the dark tower books... sooo good i love those books .

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok... im going to be going away for sum 2 weeks. so i decided to drop a rather large post. mostly just wat i do wen i have no aim in mind wen i draw, and a few decent drawings. hope to have a lot of replies, crits and comments... and hopefully helpful learning tips. enjoy.

prismacolor pencil (black) carlos huante style.

dragon... practiced random crosshatching patterns

some form practice aka scottie robie style

and the rest is all just foolin around in my sketch book with no aim or purpose but to move the pencil.. or pens back and forth.

ok thanx see ya all in 2 weeks!

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    o boy im gonna squeeze in one more post b4 i deek off.

some head studies.... just trying to explore and creat diff faces.... or helmets.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

You have some very cool designs in here....keep up the good work man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    slacker man is posting for the first time in like a month... soooo bad. and its weak one too lol, just felt that i had to post something. just a wip of this horse dude im drawing in ps... mostly doing to practice my grayscale renders. some tips for grayscale rendereing would be helpful... i just have trouble focusing my light and makeing choices about how it hits, and how strong i wanna make shadows and core shadows... i mostly draw contour... and my weakness in grayskale it showing. O-L.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post moooree!!!
    Hello again!
    I really like these silhuettes.
    When working with light i find it best to put in the dark shadows first then graduate out. Have you worked in charcoal of acrylic? I kinda learnt that from those medias. Failing that try a permanent marker to map out shadows, but it obviously doesn't graduate.
    Keep drawing/posting!!
    -B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    arg... just got up from 3 hrs of fruitless drawing.... im in a major rut. The most dissapointing thing is wen u look at other ppls art and get super inspired to do something of ur own... and then sit down for 2-3 hrs and come out with nothing that u wanted. For instance just now... I looked at some feng zhu pics and watched a couple of his dvds... then i sat down with the impression that i could do something fengish... but... arg! noffin. I know he's a pro that draws for 10-12 hrs a day... but wen i watched the dvds he makes it look so easy... even tho there are unconnected lines and miny mistakes everywhere he makes it all fit together in the end.

ok pardon the bitchieness. but i just didnt get anything done just now. In the words of jeremy from purepwnage... "u can lead a newb to water... but u cant make a newb drink" ... found water but i cant seem to drink lol.

just wondering if anyone else gets that sort of frustration... u get inspired and then u sit down all pumped... then u draw... and then u get nothing that seemed to fulfill the hunger and desire u had wen u first sat down... it gets lost somehow. then u get up... say a couple eff words and walk away in a fuss as i just have.

Badger: thnx for checkin my thread. thnx for ur thoughtful crits and tips too. U dah baaaDger!

Will scan and post something tonite... even if it kills me!

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok got some scans done. Ear u go.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wheph! its been awhile since my last post!

Well, i just got a couple speed paints to show, not much but i gotta get myself together and post some shit.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff OBX. I like how you experimented with a lot of different media and techniques. I especially like the woman with the two tanto-esque sword. I also like where you are going with the hatching, I just like nice hatchmarks.
    Keep posting.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2