Sketchbook: OBX's Outer Body eXperiences - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: OBX's Outer Body eXperiences

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The model drawing is fucking great! How long was the pose? I'd really like to see you do some more life drawings. Too bad most models aint as hot as the ones at the ws tho..

Btw, masked warrior looks like he's wearing a diaper

-hal
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything looks great! I wish i could have gone!

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    penciler comments 1 and 2: thanx dude. it doesnt really matter where u move. just go to one. its a life experience. the whole ssg should save up and go to flourence!

wim: thanx. it doesnt have a name really, i just drew it from my head. i guess it could be influenced by the kimodo dragon.

master: thanx. im glad you like it all.

boogie: yah thnx. i found a model drawing class at the art gallery here. and now that my wednesdays are free im prolly gonna hit it up. but i found a new form of model drawing. go to the bar with ur sketch book and wen your drunk enuf go ask some hot chick to sit still so you can draw her. mabey it was just montreal but we went to the bar with our sketch books and they where like babe tractor beams. marco nelor won the thunderdome bcos he did a portait of these 2 chicks making out. lol it was tight, i never knew sketchbooks can reel in babes. it gives u a better reason to stare at some hotchick. lol at that is a diaper cos i ran out of time and didnt have time to render the feet or clothing at all, i got the pose and mask and thats all.

also i decided to participate in the last man standing even tho im not in it. so im gonna do piece just for the practice. here is my first composition study.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks pretty good, bub. Right now I think the trees and the mountains are too dark/sharp, they stick out more than the ground. You also have a lot of details for a composition study. If you stick to simple shapes and layout, your composition will be stronger. cheers! hope to see some life drawings soon.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okie dokie im trying out the CA.org upload system now. screw and thier random crashiness.

thanks for the composition ideas master. you wanted life drawing? i went last night and had a killer time. the 2 prismacolors and the water colors where life drawings. man that shits so relaxing.

o and i picked up a few pointers from watching marko and wes at the workshop. they use 2 mechanical pencils. each .5's. one with HB and the other with B. useing them together gives u a nice value range. they use expensive bristol paper. it has nice pressure sensitivity with the HB and doesnt wear down the tip super fast like some cheap sketchbook. they also use kneeded eraser and tuff stuffs. marko likes to make a dark outline. he says if u dont have a good readable contour there is no point to render. OH and render super fuckin slow. contemplate each hatchmark.... they do. it may look fast... but they spend thier time. each sketch they did took mabey 2 hrs. but they where talking to a lot of ppl. but i mean take ur time. dont render in 30 min.... as i do. thats wat i remember now. o and blue pencil rules for wen ur searching for nice lines. search with a blue pencil. afirm with the HB. and pop with the B.

Attached Images Attached Images              
    OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Strange, I could have sworn I replied here yesterday evening.
    Anyway, the legs are looking good, but something about the lower one looks kinda weird (the part between the ankle and the knee, it looks like it's made of rubber or something). It looks really curvy, I mean.

Also, thanks for the Marko and Wes pointers...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More, Keep at it, life drawings are probably the best way of improving anatomy ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    marko and wes's approach is really solid, can't go wrong. Life drawings look pretty good. YOu captured the poses pretty well. Not sure I would go with watercolor and prismas though unless the models pose for a long time.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo O B, use the force , man. use the force. i can see definate growth! keep it up. some of these feel rushed tho. slow down. i know some people have a shitload in their portfolio, but dont worry about them. dont sketch quick stuff, slow down, and make LONG sketches. i hate the term "sketch". Give a sketch the same attention as you would a finished piece...then imagine what your finished piece would look like! we dont get stronger till we do the stuff that we arent comfortable with. shit...i did my first environment today. lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really expressive works dude and I love that. Would love to see some more life drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your LMS is coming along alot better than mine, and I'm actually in the competition
    I like your life drawings, and the rest of your latest batch too. A book I just started reading that has alot of helpful stuff on drawin the figure from life is Vilppu's Drawing Manual. Hit me up on msn..

I'm gonna try out drawing with a blue col erase and some mixed pencil leads now

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wim: your welcome. hope they help. yah that did trun out kinda wierd i think i was obsessing too much over that curve. i think i sat too close wen i drew that too. lol i was all determine to do a leg and foot study cos i suck at that part of the leg. owell theres always next time.

oki:thnx, will do.

25:yeah, but i like the prisma its not as messy as charcoal sticks or conte. i did the water colors on the 5 -10 min poses. and the prismas on a 20 and a 30. i actually had like 5 more sketchs. but it happened to be a new model and they asked for sketchs for feed back. so i just ripped out that page.

marco: sup dude, thanx for given some love. ive been taking more time on my drawings recently. every since the workshop. peace.

chandan: thankyou. its my plan.

boogie: haha u better get started. i know a bunch of ppl at the workshop were already working on them. but i also know a bunch of ppl are like pshh it due in july. my advice. dont go too hard and dont go too lazy. just say im gonna work on it an hour every day no more no less. then wen it gets closer do more. it will catch up and i mean with such a long deadline there will be some sickeing peices. as for myself i havent touched anything yet, that composition is all i got so far. i think im gonna do another one tho soon.
    ill hit u up on msn sometime, but im never on... lol.

and not much to show becos ive been doing mostly trad stuff.

dan-mil style attemp.

and an older drawing from the digi sketch book that i loaded in photoshop and played with. its my myspace background now! hehe.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i can't tell what the first pic is but it looks interesting and has nice shapes. Good seeing a good variety of medias being used as well. Post some life drawings when you get the chance.

I like charcoal for life drawings. I think they're probably the best for the task since you can get a wide range of values very fast. If you don't like them being messy though, try ebony pencils.

Last edited by Master 25 Days; June 26th, 2006 at 03:48 AM.
    CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually quite like the black and white one. It reminds me of one of mentler's studies. I have used charcoal to do life drawing and it works great. Sometimes it's a bitch to scan, especialy if it's colored charcoal. Best bet is to take a photo. Good luck and keep posting all the stuffs you learned at the workshop!!

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no art to post but ill post some more workshop ideas.

the touch stips on ur tablet. set them to keystrokes like brush bigger and smaller.

in corel use the pen tool to make a path on one layer. then make the opacity 0%. then get ur brush and at the top bar there are 3 different buttons all for the bush draw style. put it on the farthest to the right, that is snap to path. then draw ur line over where the pen path is supposed to be. ur line will snap to the the path the pen tool made. ur line will be straight but still maintain that hand drawn look.

most of the pro's have thier ps brushes set to pressure opacity control. but they make the pressure super hard so wen they want 100% opacity they press hard. this i saw from HPX.

in painter papers are the most powerful way to add texture to ur paintings.

always be slipping ur eyes in and out of focus while drawing or painting. it draws ur sight away from ur precious details and helps u to see the drawing as a complete entity. even wen ur face is really close. wen i was watching marko i alwas saw his eye lids going half shut.

use a harder pencil for searching.

wen ur out of ideas or just cant get anythign going default to sillouette studies.

life life life draw. all things can be drawn using skills learned from drawing the human figure.

use premanant mediums that force u to get ur lines right the first time.

wen u do a figure drawing try and make some dominant continuous lines. in fact for everthing ur draw. try and use long continuous lines. then break down from there with shorter stokes. use them like ur foundational structure points.

drawing is 90% mental attidude. the rest is all skill and practice. if u put ur mind to it u can do something that is professional at an amature level. nothing negative can get in ur mind while working away. just keep saying im gonna get this. i can see it. and im gonna take as much time as it will to get this right. but in the end impatience and lazyness will win. fight it for as long as possible.

use saturation to control the mood of a scene. hardest saturation where u want to lead the eye. low saturation can invoke a seperation and distance in the picture. so if u wanted a character in a painting to look distance, far and depressed, or seperate, or lonely, u desaturate ur painting.

all color is relevant. always be looking for it. try and memorize how it plays and dances in certain areas of light.

gray is not always gray. ie. if u have a super red and warm painting and u put down a pure unsaturated gray it tends to look more blue. it plays of its surroundings. this is also visible in colors.

use ur photographers eye and try and make things out of random shapes. eg: seeing stuff in clouds. or in the stucko on the ceiling.

be wary of the music u listen too while u draw. it can dictate a lot of how the drawing turns out.

dont do a peice without edjucating urself.

wen drawing with ur right hand its easier to make a ( curve than a ) becoz of the way ur wrist pivots. so if u work digitally and u need to make a
    ) curve u should flip the image horizontally and draw it.

thats all i can think of off the top of my head. i still gotta review all my recordings. ill prolly find more there.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx for sharing these with us and they all sound wonderful. Art, to me, is really all about how much you know like you say and not so much about motor skills. Everytime I draw something serious I always try to make right decisions base on knowledge by either breaking down the pose, blocking forms in, or referencing from sources instead of guessing . Going back to basic foundation skills.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glad u enjoyed 25.

here is some more. the ca.org upload system is nice, but the limit on the size is a lol low. im just gonna use it for my low quality tradish pics.

heres some digi's.

working on the dan milligan style.

i dont even know wat im doing now. just drawing. working on how i use photoshop and trying to express it but customizing my shortcuts to my tablet. color picker on the pen is nice. o and i used a size 30 opaque circular brush for these. then added some gray on another layer set to multiply.

o and i used a 90% gray. its easier on the eyes. leaves the edges a softer look. i think it kinda lets u loose ur focus a bit and not get lost in the chunks.

thats all folks.

Last edited by OBX; June 29th, 2006 at 12:50 AM.
    OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these all digital? the last two has a nice natural look to them. ON the guy with the hat, the ear is placed too high up. The cranium could be bigger too.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    getting stronger man, the "dan milligan-esque" drawings are really nice.

bee-dubya-keo
    neoĽkeo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been busy with the figure drawing class? havne't update in nearly a week

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually im going to mexico to work at an orphanage, and havent had anytime to post much (due to getting ready). My camera is getting fixed. so i cant take pics of traditional stuff. and i havent had much time to work digital or even check out CA that much. ill be gone for about 3 weeks. ill prolly have a decent dump wen i get back.

lol actually the open figure classes ended for the year. so now i gotta wait 2 months till they start again.

till i post again, peace.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, just a lil something i worked on b4 i go. took mabey 1.5 hrs

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep working on your digital pieces. I think you need more definition when you paint some harder edges so less opacity and bleed on the brush. Otherwise, keep at it ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    enjoy your work with the orphanage, noble sir.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funny stuff, that last one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow OBX, congrats on going to that fine ass workshop I really wanted to go, but nothin much I can do about that now ;p .

Anyways thankyou very much for the collected tips, shall be using them all

I like your last piece, But I think its missing a nice beard ;p

!!My New Animation Sketchbook!!

SSG #12: The Twelve Disciples
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Boogieman-Oki

Sponsor your own Animator, for only ú1.25 a day. We can put an end to the suffering.
    Donations
    We accept most Credit cards, and food. Lots of food.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow thanx for all the encouraging posts. still no camera yet. and ive been doing far bit of trad work. but not that much to brag about recently... here u go flynn i thought u had a great idea.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i hope this creeps u all out, i got pee shivers while drawing it lol. it emerged from the chaos.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey obx
    Nice Sketchbook!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1154321077
    Is really one of my favorite, it shows that you have played around and experimented alot nice work and keep it up!
    Your digitals are improveing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man that's a scary lady. I'm digging that landscape. Good colors and composition. If you put more structure in it it will be solid.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2