Sketchbook: OBX's Outer Body eXperiences - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thnx for noticing, ive been working hard to figure out the science of cross hatching. I sometimes just cross hatch wen i have nothing im mind to draw and just need to get my pen (cil) moving.

Okey heres a dump.

Thnx for taking time to enjoy my drawings.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another quick post for the day.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Couple enviros, and another sketch page.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An OC painting i was noodling away on for about 2 hrs... but got a lil bored of it.

And a Quick sketch from a ref. took about 15 min.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought i'd better come check out your work. Great stuff man!! Keep it up!!

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    penciler: thanks for the kind thoughts.

Heres one i did tonite. bought an hour in PS, and major abuse of scatter brushes. but hey, i wanted my wolf fuzzy.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my SB!

You're really rocking here! I just love that afro-braid one... If you know which I mean. And that first knight has some really nice textures too! Just remember to keep the right proportions and you'll go far! love to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool brushes in the last pic with some good details. The leg closest to us is blurrier than the one farthest away. it should be the other way. If you think you went too far with the scattered brushes and you're losing simplicity in the structures, try going back in with a large brush at a low opacity.

The tut on www.simplestroke.com shows what I mean. Keep up the good work!

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey OBX i just saw the siloettes you did after reading the dark towers books. I really like those sketches. I like siloette pics anyway. After making my first attempt to draw on the tablet last night with no reference i can see that it's going to take alot of practice. How long have you been using a tablet? Come on, it's been what?, 3 days since your last post? What's up?

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah sup thnx for the replies fellahs.

Serp: Thnx, keep working on ur sketchs they'll come around too.

Master: Yeah thnx for the crits. I wasnt too worried about the leg i just wanted the close one to have hints of borginess but was to lazy to render it a lil. I was going for a furry creature anyways, wanted to try and simulate some fur.

Penciler: Haha. Yah thanks for the comments on those sketches, ppl seem to like them heh. How big is the tablet ur using? It took me a lil while to get used to my tablet. See for urself:

That was mabey a year ago. I used to do a quickie everyday.

about a month or 2 after (just guessing on these, i have soo many):

And then today:

but yeah thats a lil bit of an over view via the drawings. I dont like to post in my SB unless i got a fresh drawing, i feel like im bumping the thread if i dont. O and the size of the pad doesnt matter, just makes it easier, i mean all i got is a 4x5 wacom graphire. Prolly a lot of low budget digipainters use the same one. But my nib is worn to hell (i threw out the replacements wen i opened the package... yeah im a really numbskull). Ill be looking to upgrade soon, i got enough to mabey even get a cintiq! that would be awsome. But owell. Thnx for replying ppl. enjoy.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Argh!! I will be so jealous if you get a Cinteq. I also have a 4x5. your right the bigger ones do make it easier. I was watching a Feng video and his tablet has the buttons on the side. He set his scroll bar to do rotates. So whenever he has to make an arch that isn't natural he just slides the scroll a little and the image spins. Nice!! That's what i'm fighting with right now is making smooth archs and circles with the tablet. It's insperational to see how quickly you progressed with it though!

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Penciller: Im glad to hear that. Yah i have no idea if a larger one would make it easier coz ive never tried. I do that same thing that feng does, but i have only figured out how to do it in corel, i just set the rotate to alt + space bar coz im always moving the image around with the space bar and wen i tap alt while moving i can quitly slant the page. But yeah i can hit way straighter lines in real life than with my wacom, i think coz it soo small, and the ratio of my line on the computer screen to the one i drew with my hand is way off, ie the one on my pad was only 1/2" and then on of my screen is 2". Feng is soo good to learn from, ive watched bits and tads of his gnomon dvds. Good stuff, but he doesnt really go over theory that much, something i think the gnomon dvds lack. The best ones imo are scott robertson, neville page, mccaig, and huante(just cos hes so laid back and his whole dvd made me laugh... whole... the only one i watched all the way through)

Ok and for todays quickie... i yeah i got home from work and fell asleep, then i spent like 2 hrs shmoooozing forums, then i pounder out a peice of shit drawing that rips something off, im sure of it, but i used no reference.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    /bow to OBX

Really cracking stuff here m8, im loving how over the space of a page youve just doubled in accuracy liking your form studies.

!!My New Animation Sketchbook!!

SSG #12: The Twelve Disciples
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Boogieman-Oki

Sponsor your own Animator, for only 1.25 a day. We can put an end to the suffering.
    Donations
    We accept most Credit cards, and food. Lots of food.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thnx flynn, no need to bow to me tho .

this is y, pathetic update, but i might as well show to fruitlessness of my sitting at the computer tonite.... did somebody say skulls? I have... one... proportions?... damn.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very fun stuff, i quite enjoyed looking at your work, the second female sketch seems to be your best, push yourself for more of that quality. The quality of your work seems to go up and down as Im scrolling down. Lets see some more patience I think you're not showing us your full potiential

I think you could make your digital sketches a little more finished. I see some that are good and some that seems like you quite at too early of a stage. Try to tighten up the coloring on the digitals they look a lil soft and fluffy most of the time. I think you got something going with that borgwolf sketch, and the guy on the horse above it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Liking the skull, vert artsy proportions allmost perfect for a villan Id say.
    All that looks iffy is the teeth, they look like bristles of a brush on a bad day and mebe add a little more depth in them blues

Sponsor your own Animator, for only 1.25 a day. We can put an end to the suffering.
    Donations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some good speed sketches going on here.

For the skull, I remember reading in a loomis book that you can modify the shape , but not the volume. I know you weren't going for realistic proportions on it but just thought I'd mention

Nice progression pics as well. You should see the stuff I did when I first got my tablet hehe. (they're bad)

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kresh: Thanks for the very inspiring criticism. Im not working to my full potential eh. Well, i like to think i never am, and that i always have more room for improvement. But ur right. Patience and drawing are not to things that mix to well together, usually ive i spend over 30- 60 min a drawing or painting i get horrible tired of it. sometimes i come back, but usually it gets lfd. But i will try harder, and spend more time on one image rather than just pumping out millions. In truth i usually dont have much time to draw, since im not doing it at school or at work. i only get a couple hours an evening that i force fit to get some art in... and thats coz im an addict. the rest is spent browsing forums.

and regarding the digi paints... yeah i just get frustrated, they just dont seem to wanna work for me, i end up with something that looks all smudged up, i just cant seem to work my mind with color and form... i mean in black and white im fine, i just dont see color that well in my imagination. I dont think im gonna concern myself too much with painting anyways, i just do it really for a change and to have fun. right now im working on my anatomy and refining it, and shading, coz my knowledge of light sucks. once i get those more refined im gonna hit color like a banshee.

Flynn/25 days: yeah the skull.. i really wasnt trying to go for proportion at all, mabey i shoulda been a little more clear about that. I was trying to make it comedic, just having fun coz thats wat its all about. and ur right flynn, more depth.

Ok enjoy these, i sat down and used some ref for some of these.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving your pose work OBX ya seem to have a nice grasp so far.
    The refs you did look quite good, all I can offer is that the faces seem "off" but then faces are allways damn hard
    Keep it up

Donations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff on the bikini girls w/refs. Especially the last one. I like that you used a dark bg to bring out the form of the girl.

Nice flowy sketches on the last pic. I see that the ones done with refs from Loomis have a bit tighter lines than the ones w/o ref.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work OBX! I'm sorry but i don't really have any crits to make. I do like how your loose sketching gives the pieces an energetic quality. Keep up the good work!

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sigh* its been awhile, but i finally got down and did some digi's. been doing a fair bit of tradish stuff and am to lazy to scan any of it. mabey ill force myself to later tonite.

here's a mild update. again mostly just experimenting. wasnt really trying to go for good proportions or wat not. no real aim. just to fool around and get a better understanding of the programs i use for digital art. I was trying to aim for a bit of composition on the enviroment. the starwars look-a-like thingy was just lame, but im posting it anyways.

penciler/25days/flynn: thanks fellas. u guys should keep up the hard work too, and keep posting in ur sketchbooks.

o! i bought some gouache and have be fooling around with that! its really fun stuff. i dont know if anyone has any tips for working with tradish painting and stuff but they would be very welcome as i am total noob at tradish painting. but im told the key to good digi painting is good tradish painting skills. so i might as well start somewhere.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice lil sketches OBX, yeah I wil definately post some stuff soon, just tryin to finish up my Brochure get it photoed an all that crap, then its just a couple illis to do crunch crunch crunch mode at the minute
    Your robot thingy seems ok but I seem to recall appraoching them as forms on the page rather than a "thing" hard to explain but it really does work, specially in animation a bit like sparths spare parts

An the colour piece doesnt seem too good overall, crap comp ive a few ideas that would add oomph but at the min ill refrain and bow instead

And I think painting with oils an what not you work light to dark thats all i know sorry >< but keep it up

Donations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice looking robot. Watch the background on the painting. The bg has more saturated colors than the foreground. Try using darker and less saturated colors to push the bg back more. The purple light peaking through the clouds are kinda strong too. The light rays actually merge the fg and the bg so the depth illusion is lost a bit.

Here's a crappy paint over. Not sure if it'll help or confuse things

Flynn: If you have some crits, please don't hesitate to post them. Even if you're not confident that the crit is good it should still help give the person whom you're critting some ideas to try out.

Last edited by Master 25 Days; January 26th, 2006 at 02:49 AM.
    CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OBX, just wanted to drop by and give props. It's good to see your dedication and improvement. Your ref'd work seems to be your strongest, the last couple came out nicely. And the page with the figures have a nice sense of fluidity in them, keep that up. Just gotta grind away. Cheers man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thnx 25, i see. yah i wasnt worrying about that too much tho. was trying to experiment with textures and wat not, but thats a really good crit. thnx ill keep it in mind next time. less saturated the fartherway. im assuming cos of atmosphere n shit.

thnx a lot zord. i need more posts like urs. they make my day complete. espesially after a long sitting of drawing. feels soo good to get built up.

thnx flynn.

heres a wip. having tons of trouble stopping the colors from merging together. ie from blurring or getting that soft look out.

and then after i droped that i did some no ref value studies.

thnx fellas.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try throwing some warmer tones in his skin or on the highlights. I think it may be blurry due to it all being a cool hue. Concept is cool.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The soft edges are probably due to your brush setting, what do you have it on? Penciler is right about throwing some warmer tones in his skin. nice value studies. Watch the nose of the guy on the bottom with his head tilted back.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2