Sketchbook: OBX's Outer Body eXperiences - Page 11
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: OBX's Outer Body eXperiences

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow thanks for all the comments ppl. much appreciated. Ill definatly take some of them to heart. anyhooo. ill uptade.... something i haven't done in like a month or soo. ill get around to checking everyones sketchbooks too. peace.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff here, i like how well you are showing the shiny texture on the mask. hey, do you know how i can put a little avatar next to my thread on the sketchbook listing page? keep it up and thanks for the comments bro.

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work here, man. Did you get Vyle's dvd too? Crazy isn't it? I cleared out all my PS brushes and started from scratch again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Helmet is shiny and cool. Itll look even better if you clean up the edges. I like the landscape below too, except for the pattern brushes. I think it's better if you just block it in for speed. So you don't get that pasted-together-photos look. Structure is more important than details. Last piece looks mighty interesting. I would buy a Tshirt with that design.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sun of a gun, it's been a month since i last apdated. and its a pretty pathetic one at that too! owell. here are some doodles i did tonite.

penc: thnx

rogfa: thnx, yep "i got" levy's dvd.

master: thnx. yeah i just got lazy wen i was tranforming and just didnt clean up in the end, it was late, i was tired and i learned wat i wanted, so i dumped my shit in my thread coz i hadn't done it in a looong time. and again, more shit.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're back! Nice helmet at the top of the page... IS that smoking guy in the last post an SP?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there Joel!! Nice to see you again. Seems like almost all of us fell off the way side. I assume your busy because thats why i haven't posted very often. I hope its becuase your busy doing ART!!! By the way, have you heard of this new site called Comicspace.com It's supposed to be like myspace but for comic creators, artists, and fans. I'm goin to check it out now so before i go i just wanna say keep on keepin on man!!

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Serp: thnx, nah thats not an sp. i got a few of those in my tradishional sb's. but i like keepin my CA sketchbook digital. just easier, so lazy with scanning and resizing pictures. every now and then ill post a trad sketch just to prove i have a little bit of skill.

penc: yes ive been busy, and lazy. my inactivity is prolly due to having such a dead ssg. just a phase tho, im gonna try and post more often now. i used to sketch a lot digitally but im really liking doing tradishional stuff these days.

my tablet screamed at me today, so i sketched some crap. yep thats exactly wat i sketched.... lol nah just some stupid mouths. i really like the colors i found and wanted to play with them. most of these are studies from my head but i found this website that is wonderful for doing facial studies.

artnatomia

peace. Joel.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meh just my new avatar. played around and got this. I always get disapointed wen i see an avatar close up. owell.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not much just a couple o quick doodles in paintchat at 3dluVr.com

i ref'd the king from my medieval total war manual cover.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey OBX! Sorry it took me so long to respond here.
    It seems to me that your using a lot of tiny brushes, especially if your just doodling. I think this is going to hurt you, and it definately makes your enviros harder to read. Try using really big brushes, at least for the first stage (you'll also find it takes much less time.)
    Keep it up!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey joe, Im not sure what u mean by a small brush. Usually i work with 50px-100px brushes. and my canvas is usually 3000x2000. Are those sizes to small? I usaully shrink the size down so ppl dont have to scroll all over the place to view stuff. Im just curious as to wat u mean coz i need to learn. Hows it gonna hurt me? should i use big brushes just to find shapes and compostion?

anyhow thnx for the concern.

here is some stuff. most of it is reffed. really trying to build that visual vocabulary, but im finding i cant draw from imagination for the life of me. im really dependant on a reference now, not a good thing imo. so i did some mentler studies. mabey that will help me out with my construction methods and visualization aproaches.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The colour torso in your last post looks good, had it only been finished...

Wow, can you actually draw TOO much from life?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Joel, i know what you mean when you said you were dependant on ref. I get that way sometimes. Along the way through school i've hung out with alot of creative people that have introduced me to some cool techniques to get away from that. One way i learned is this. Say your drawing body parts from a Hogarth book. you look at the thing you want to draw study it for a minute, study the contours , then you close the book. Draw the entire thing, even if you know its getting off. Then open the book and look at what is differerent, close it and try it again. I used to fall victom to my reference and kept constantly looking up every few seconds to get the line exactly right. If thats what you want to do then you will become a great portrait artist and thats it but if you want to have your own flavor then one has to remember that reference is exactly that, just a reference.
    Another technique i use a lot is i have dozens probably hundreds of ref. photos on my computer (mostly women i put one of the ref folders as my screen saver and set it to change every minute. then i sit and draw them very quickly. This is a trick i learned in animation that has become invaluable in posing a figure. When you only have a minute to draw a pose you quickly learn to find that line of motion and the contour lines. After a dozen of those drawings i'm not only loosened up but i just looked at several ref pics so now my mind is going so i sit down and draw one of my own with no ref!! I hope some of this is useful!!

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    serp: haha, not really too much from life, but too much from ref. ie photo ref. i guess also life, but there are different issues with life drawing such as length of pose. and ur subject doesnt stay perfectly still. with a pic u have time to get everything just right, and i guess my drawing confidence was too dependant on getting the ref. instead of relying on my imagination. ref isnt bad tho, just build it up, so u can use it later.

penc: hey thanx bra. Those are awsome ideas! im gonna try that more. go for gestures rather than renders. ive just been working on rendering soo much that i havent sat and done any gestures. i try and gesture draw, but i keep leaping forward and thinking about wat im gonna do about rendering but im no where near the point. awsome ideas tho, thnx a lot.

jez i think our sketchgroup is dead. i mean its not like i dont draw enuf, well i dont, but not like i dont draw enuf to post everyday. its just that i hate hate hate scanning. and im to lazy to take digipics. so i just digipaint. and im in a big traditional phase these days. i just really like the brush on paper, hand eye cordination feel. ive been hitting the gouach a lot. workin on water color but i suck bad at those. mostly just trying to break my fear of the color picker and wheels in digital programs. Ive found that using paint and having to mix to get the color u imagine really helps me tackle the fear i have of color. also doing monochromatic studies and portraits with colors rather than black and white pencils.

owell some foolin i did so i had something to show with this reply.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meh, just some sheit i had lying around.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice experiments using brushes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some interesting work here. very fun to look at. like how you expirement with diff tecniques. just keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^^ Agreed! There is a lot of energy in the different looks that you achieve. I wish I had something similar in my digitla pieces...I gotta check that Vyle DVD and learn how to make my own custom brushes!

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    designboot:thnx. i try. i fail. i try again.

santaclaus: Thnx a lot. you have cool book too.

Ian: there aint much to it. just break wat u want to paint down in to billions of tiny black white and grey paintings. start with the basic circular opacity brush. draw a leave. make the leaf a brush. draw a branch, use the leaf brush to put leaves on the branch. save the branch brush. draw a tree, and u se the branch brush to make the branches. save the tree and make a tree brush. and then make a landscape and use the tree brush to populate. simple simple. he says to never throw or delete any paintings u make no matter how shitty, cos they come in hand wen u need random brushes. but the dvd has good ideas in it, and its really nice seeing his technique, i didnt really get to see it that good in montreal. thnx for droppin by.

And i finally got around to scanning some trad stuff out o my new moleskin book. man, i beat the shit out of my sketch books and the moleskine can take a lot of damage. the eye and ear are this 3 medium technique im trying out. it kind imitates pastel paintings. u use prismacolor pencils, ink washes and a bit o gouache to smooth it out. i kinda used el coro's ideas, and experimented to get it to work for me. thnx for stopin by and giving me a piece of ur mind.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi

I like your variety of expirements. good stuff! I really enjoy the paintchat stuff. I think it really forces you to think about line thickness. your improving a lot so keep doing what you are doing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    santa: thnx that means a lot

heres a digidump most are refd. specially the bruce lee ones. enjoy.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff OBX, youve improved loads since my last visit. Good to see you getting really well grounded digitally keep it up.

The last 4 poses read extremely well love the dog piece the most but bruce lee is my 2nd favourite, i really love the hard contrast you got going on my only gripe is the 1st bruce lee pose, his head is a dark blob ;(

Anyways sorry I havent posted much, but thats all changing keep it up mate!

!!My New Animation Sketchbook!!

SSG #12: The Twelve Disciples
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Boogieman-Oki

Sponsor your own Animator, for only 1.25 a day. We can put an end to the suffering.
    Donations
    We accept most Credit cards, and food. Lots of food.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thnx flynn. good to see u back. lol i liked the black head blob myself. owells.

some paint chat sheit.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow man, these last paints are looking so rad. Your coloring strokes looks very fluid and nice, like in the dog catching a frisbee. This seems mostly to be half finnished doodles, I'd like to see something bit more finnished.
    Well, in any case, you're doing good, keep to it!
    tgr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tiger: thnx pal that means a lot. i know i gotta sit down and do some complete paintings. get a freakin portfolio together. but this is mostly a hobby, that i really like to spend a lot of time doing. im still working on things tho. building up my archive so i can nail some really nice paintings later.

I just tried out the zhuzhu digiwater color tutorial on cgtalk. got this(see attachments). its really fun, and it worked out pretty nice. still kinda sucks but i like it. zhu is the man

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn... been a while since I've been in here.... you've improved like hell from what I remember! You're getting very dynamic! Good stuff! Favorites are the Bruce Lee ones that look like they've been inked!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    d-cept: dude, thanks. lol glad im getting more dynamic, its wat im aiming for.

just some more digiwater paints, some random advertisment and the other is keira knightly.

Last edited by OBX; March 7th, 2007 at 04:00 PM.
    OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lil starship troopers

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff, love the digi paints

!!My New Animation Sketchbook!!

SSG #12: The Twelve Disciples
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Boogieman-Oki

Sponsor your own Animator, for only 1.25 a day. We can put an end to the suffering.
    Donations
    We accept most Credit cards, and food. Lots of food.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.