Sketchbook: Bohh's Sketchbook - June 23 '06
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bohh's Sketchbook - June 23 '06

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bohh's Sketchbook - June 23 '06

Thanks for taking a look at my sketch book. Any C+C is welcome. I'm mostly teaching myself out of books and stuff at the moment. I have, however comepleted a Drawing 1 class in college.

Newest stuff is on the last page.

Last edited by Bohh; June 23rd, 2006 at 05:29 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your images are too big.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are doing a pic with a lot of stuff in it keep it no more than 800*600... for just showing an apple keep it a lot less than 800*600.

about values try to squint your eyes when looking at the apple.

My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my most recent sketchbook page. As you can see I'm lacking direction and skipping from thing to thing. I'm also trying to decide if I want to go with pencils or pens. I'd like to work on my humans and you can see some Loomis heads in there, but I'm fairly lost. Any comments, good or bad are appriciated. I'd really like to improve.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep practicing. Draw bigger, you seem to put as many little scribbles on 1 page as possible. Take enough space to draw whatever you want comfortably. It'll give your wrist and shoulder enough space to move and allow you more freedom to draw.

About pens and pencils...they're different mediums, but that's about it. You can learn to control those with practice. Keep using Loomis and try do to some lifedrawing when possible. When it comes to the body, it's good to practice drawing bodyparts or specific muscles, but don't forget it's part of a whole.

Keep drawing and update this sb more frequently. Try drawing 1 hour a day, you'll see major improvements soon then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this stuff isn't bad, will be checking your progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try to draw bigger Cookie, but I have a tendency to go small and I'm not sure why.

Also are my scans to small? They look small at my resolution but I'm not sure how big I should be making them.

Working off of the Head and Hand drawing Loomis book. I was doing the steps for the heads (you can see the heads that I followed the instructions directly with to the left of the page with the marks "I" "II" and "III" next to them) those are ok I guess, but when I tried to do the steps on my own everything went bad. They look horrible, but I can't tell why... is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two speed paints:

Last edited by Bohh; November 13th, 2005 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all,

I had a few questions to go along with this update. My first two are more about the method of learning to draw.

Will I be doing myself any good copying other people's drawings or should I be learning from a book that explains techniques? I think more advanced artists study other people's drawings to pick up their style but I'm not sure about a begginer (I'm not looking for style yet, but looking to learn how to draw)

Also with these loomis heads, they will help me when I get to drawing real people right? They are teaching me porportions, huh?

Now my problems with todays drawings. I'm having a problem with the faces that are looking directly up/down/straight ahead. Something is making them look too wide and I can't tell what. I even tried to do them a little thinner but...

Also I'm a little unsure on how to draw these heads. In the diagram below, for the front of the face I don't know how to place the line (red or blue) I've been doing what feels right, but is there some sort of rule. Some of my faces in the sketchbook (below the diagram) don't look like they are tilted and I think it's because of this line.

My next question is do I follow the ball I drew in the first place to get the rest of the head and the far cheek (again red or blue) or is there a trick/rule to that as well?

Thanks for all the help, sorry for so many questions in this post. But, your advice will not fall upon deaf ears. I'm willing and eager to learn!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the indepth reply. The rules you listed should end up helping alot for doing quick checks to see if everything is right. And thanks for answering my other questions!

I'm still unclear on some things about the heads though. For starters I can't understand why when they are looking straight ahead, looking above, or down they look sooooo wide. I'm doing them the same way as all the other drawings.

Also I'm unclear on to where to place the line for the front of the face. In the diagram I drew I have a red and blue line. I think it's the red line but I'm not sure how I know. (It just feels right.)

And last one, this is the one that really bothers me, when your finishing a face up and its looking so that one side is away from you, how do you know where to draw in the opposite chin/cheek area/rest of the head? Do you just stick with the circle you drew in step one? To me this looks off (it's the red circle in my drawing) I drew another line that look good to me (the blue one) but it still looks funny.

I'll get cracking on leaving comments on other's sketchbooks, not sure how much help I'll be though

Thanks again,

Mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Bohh, thanks for stopping by my book.

I think That Fat Kid answered your questions pretty well, the only thing I'd suggest is maybe trying to build a head out of boxes instead of sphere and cylinder. Not as a permanent solution, but try it a couple times to see if it helps you understand how things work. A big box for the cranium, a smaller box for the jaw, draw them at various angles. It'll help you heep track of what's the front, what's the side, etc., and it'll be easier to keep things in perspective so you can see how they shrink when they're farther away, and you can check to see that the lines are going to the same vanishing point to make sure the head doesn't bend (as some of yours here have).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for the responses. It really helps. Max, I tried the boxes as you can see - it made things a little clearer. And I also see I need to work on perspective a little. Not sure how this or that box should be. heh.

Anyway, thanks guys, your both a ton of help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried to work on drawing hands a little quicker today. And...guess what, there are errors in them who would have guessed Also drew some more loomis faces. I think I'm getting better at them, not sure. Tried to render one and it stinks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work on those hands, especially the one in the very middle. Heads are still looking kinda footballish--I don't know what Loomis is telling you to do, and heaven forbid I should contradict him, but I think you'd be better off looking at them as a skull mass and a jaw, instead of as a single mass, which these studies seem to indicate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply max. I'll try looking at it that way, now that you mention it I think that's what I'm seeing too. I couldn't put my finger on it but they do look a little odd. I'll have to mess around with it.

Anyway, here's the latest assignment from my Drawing 1 class. It's a piece of drift wood and some other water type objects. Done with charcoal on white paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Bohh
    You look like you are doing very well and you are getting some great advice so far. You seem to be moving forward at each new post. I am not sure how much I can help you, but I will give you my opinion and you can use it if it works.

First when drawing the head, one of the things i try to do is "sculpt" the form.
    So wether you are starting with an oval or a box, draw in your contour and landmark lines. Landmarks are an important way that our brains intepret information. We tend to use landmarks every day to find our way around. Use this with the head and face. When you look at a face try to see what some of the outstanding landmarks are. Is the face square and blocky? (Arnold -The terminator) His head is a lumpy cube. His chin and eyebrow ridge are GREAT landmarks. I would draw a rectangle to start his head. Then start the sculpting process, see where all of the big lights and darks are in a form and start drawing in angles that allow you to shave away the outside edges of your starting square. (I hope that makes some sense.) Try not to worry about getting the whole face correct at first. Try to just get the feel for certain features. What is the face "saying" to you. The more distinct features you can capture the better your drawings of the face and head will become.

Second, I think that your driftwood drawing is excellent. It shows good progress. It is also a nice way to examine lighting and distance. These are JEDI POWERFUL tricks for an artist. Things farther away tend to be lighter, growing darker the closer it get to us. We also tend to spend more time and detail on the things we feel more comfortable with in a drawing. Your rendering is good. I would say that your objects in the back are darker and more deatailed than the driftwood in front. this tends to confuse the distance we are trying to simulate. If the driftwood had a better contrast range It would look like it was closer...lighten up the wheel a bit in the background and you push the closer objects forward more. A final bit of extra light in the driftwood would give it a sense of lighting.
    I hope that some of that makes sense? Anyway take what seems usefull and leave the rest. Keep drawing no matter what. You are doing great.

Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Bohh-
    keep doing what youre doing.. practice alot and youll get better.. concerning your speedpaints- check your pallette, i mean the second one appears as if it wasnt really supposed to look realistic, colorwise but the first one.. looks surrealistic too. Of course its a personal choice but it seems stereotypical to me to use a bright green for some grass, that bright blue for the sky, some clouds with some really strange blue in it and those yellowish crops.. just play around with the colors in painter for a little bit and maybe use some other brushes too... keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Todays entry. Tried to draw my Quaker Parrot, but he wouldn't sit still...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Class assignment. Glass objects with white charcoal on black paper. Sorry for the bad picture, I was holding my camera on an angle and had to crop and rotate. It's not really crooked on the paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply fat man. I must appologize to you both fractured1 and krakel. I forgot to thank you for your replies, I was busy and just posted my update and forgot to come back.

Thank you both for your tips. fractured1, I will have to try what you described on the faces. I understand what you're saying, but I think I'll have problems with drawing the features. But, that should pass with practice. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks krakel. I'm not really an expert at using color, so I just picked some random colors and went to work. I can see what your saying though, I'll have to work on that as well.

Thanks again everyone,

Mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't updated in a few days. Here's a drawing from todays class session. I was trying to do it quicker than the one above, and unfortunatly it shows. I did spend less time on it, I guess I'll get faster the more I practice.

Crits always welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply fat kid. I can definitally see what your saying. I'll take your advice to heart

Todays update features some life drawings we did in Drawing 1 yesterday (we took a break from drawing objects) As you can see I stink at drawing heads (any good books on that subject btw) but some of the bodies turned out ok I think, being my first serious attempt at drawing a person from life ever. We had our fellow students pose for 5 minutes each, so that's how quick each of these took.

Here's a closeup of #9, I think it's one of my better ones:

This last one we did isn't too good. The model was doing the splits, but she was not nearly as wide as I drew her and her head definitally wasn't that small. Guess I need to work on porportions or something:

As always crits are always welcome!

Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Bohh.
    Proportions on life drawings can be tricky (as I was reminded today)...bodies being too wide is a problem I run into frequently. I think it has to do with mapping out certain points of reference at the beginning of a drawing, and also takes some concentration to make sure you're using the right one--for example, don't confuse the center of the shoulder with the corner of the shoulder.

That should all get easier with practice. These aren't bad at all for the first time out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bohh, it's good to see you posting the sketches from class. Just keep working at it and you'll get there. As for drawing heads, have you tried the Loomis books? They've definitely helped me out a lot and others on CA as well. Push on, sir!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your glass objects in charcoal.
    ~Kerry

-----
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, you really captured the look of glass. Good work Bohh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a long time! I've been drawing but not much and as you can see not posting here. Well, I seem to be getting back in the groove of things.

For todays update, I will post my 3rd ever self portrait. I'm happy with the way it turned out, my last 2 have been horrible. However the nose and mouth seem funny to me. Oh well, next one will be better if it keeps going like this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,

Another SP. Better in some parts than yesterdays, but I think overall yesterdays is better. I tried doing this one at a hard angle for myself and I didn't seem to get it right. Oh well, another day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One of todays drawings. It's my dog, he's black and white. I'm happy with the results, but it's not perfect. His head's shape looks funny to me, and even though that you couldn't see his left eye in the photo I used as a ref. I think the missing eye messes something up too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Bohh, nice start. Like your head studies. And nice use of color in your glassware piece. Keep it up bro!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.