What medium do you prefer?

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: What medium do you prefer to use?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oils

11 68.75%
  • Pencils; including coloured

6 37.50%
  • Chalk/Charcoal

5 31.25%
  • Water

2 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What medium do you prefer?

I'm just interested. What is your preferred medium to paint in?

Personally I like oils, chalk, charcoals and pencils (coloured etc). I've never been a real water colour fan.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieArtist
    I'm just interested. What is your preferred medium to paint in?

Personally I like oils, chalk, charcoals and pencils (coloured etc). I've never been a real water colour fan.
    omg, i can't believe you left out ink!!! or does that fall under water because it's water based? i'm so con-fuse-ed

polylover.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking just my two cents...

dude, why waste all the paper and painting tools/materials... a PC/mac, a Painter 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 and a wacom tablet (even the cheap one like graphire2 or 3 will do) are all you need to create nearly all effect you can do with traditional medium.

p.s. i do pen/pencil sketches on paper, only when i am not in front of a computer with tablet. (my personal point of view, digital art is a much more environmental-friendly form of drawing and painting; and it's very forgivable, unlike ink on paper you won't be able to change any thing once the strokes are made.)
    However, this is only my persoanl point of view, and it really have nothing to do with anyone other than myself... whatever tools/medium an artist preferred to use, that is one's own choice, i guess. (not very good in talking, hope it helps .

Cheers, and wish all well.

L.L.

i want to improve... please teach me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by meowy
    dude, why waste all the paper and painting tools/materials... a PC/mac, a Painter 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 and a wacom tablet (even the cheap one like graphire2 or 3 will do) are all you need to create nearly all effect you can do with traditional medium.
    L.L.
    Um.... I am talking about Painter IX. This is after all the Painter Feedback forum

I was looking for inspiration, so I opened my eyes. - Bern 2005

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just have one thing to say:

My art teacher asked me how big the painting was in real. He couldn't believe it was done digitally (with painter of course). If you handle the papers right, the chalk tool (or every other tool with grain) becomes really powerfull. Make your own papers, belive me, it is worth it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face oops, my bad. >_<.

... oops, my mistake, sorry i didn't take a clear look before making commcent, my apology. >_<.

L.L.

i want to improve... please teach me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Aussie,

Since it appears no one "got" your question, I'll pitch in.

I'm most comfortable usng tradtional pencil and a close second is traditional pen and ink. That's because I began drawing as a very small child and always enjoyed it immensely. Then I worked as a technical illustrator and graphic arrtist for almost 28 years, so both of those media are very familiar to me.

Using Painter and a Wacom tablet, though both are great, I've found pencil drawing to be much less comfortable and and inking to be much slower.

When I want to use a pencil drawing, I do it traditionally, then scan it into Painter. Usually, I do the same with inking, though I haven't scanned traditional inking too often.

Painting with Painter is another story. That's much more fun and exciting using Painter since, as someone else mentioned, working with digital media is more forgiving. As is often said, Undo is a wonderful feature.

Most of the traditional media painting I've done has been with watercolors and even that, not often. I love the look of watercolors, the way the paint runs and pools and has a life of its own. I also like the translucency of watercolor paint.

Watercolor painting, at least until we practice a lot, is not as easy with digital media, but we can, with Painter IX, come close to simulating traditional watercolors and go further, creating effects we might not be able to produce using traditional media.

Using a variety of brush variants and other features in Painter, we can produce many effects that may not be possible using traditional media.

With Painter IX Artist's Oils, I've begin to like oil painting too. Though I'm far from having done anything worth mentioning, I'm having a great time playing and seeing what can be done with these lovely brush variants.

With Painter IX's new Align to Path feature, more new possibilities are opened up.

Overall, I'd have to add that I really don't have a favorite way of working in Painter. A big part of what I've always loved about this program is the huge variety it offers and the adventures I have exploring and discovering new things almost every week, sometimes more often than that.

As I've said many a time, after a decade of using Painter on a daily basis, it amazes me that I've never become bored and it continues to inspire and entertain me.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now that I have my intuos (so know I can controll angle trough bearing) I miss the pallette knives in here.
    (Airbrushes are very common, they should be included to in the poll

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How about all the other brush categories Painter provides?

Painter Medium (traditional medium) :

Acrylics (acrylics)
    Airbrushes (airbrush)
    Calligraphy (calligraphy)
    Chalk (chalk)
    Charcoal (charcoal)
    Colored Pencils (colored pencils)
    Conte (conte crayons)
    Crayons (crayons)
    Digital Watercolor (simpler watercolor)
    Felt Pens (felt pens)
    Gouache (gouache)
    Impasto (impasto oils)
    Liquid Ink (thick or thin ink)
    Oil Pastels (oil pastels)
    Palette Knives (palette knives)
    Pastels (pastels)
    Pencils (pencils)
    Sponges (sponges)
    Pens (pen and ink)
    Pens' Scratchboard Tool (scratchboard art)
    Sumi-e (Japanese brush painting and Oriental calligraphy)
    Watercolor (more complex watercolor)

And then there are all the other brush categories filled with default brush variants and custom brush variants that can paint and draw in ways not available using traditional media!

What's my favorite? Come on.... how can one zero in on a single medium using Painter when it's such an adventure (to say nothing of how it can enhance our artwork) to use more, or all, of what's provided?

If I were to use only one Painter medium, and that to mimic a traditional medium, I'd think my money was wasted unless I had a dire need to work digitally (i.e. space, health reasons, etc.). In that case (using only one Painter medium) I'd just use the traditional medium in the first place.

Obviously, I can't participate in the poll.

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah... there are plenty other medias I frequently use in painter. Someone should make a new poll with all these brushes or edit this poll.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why not just do an observational "poll" by reading many forums and finding out in the natural course of events who likes what?

What I'll say below is generalization based on observation and there are oodles of exceptions:

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people coming from Photoshop to Painter want the simplest brushes and want them to work exactly the way Photoshop brushes work. They find the wealth of possiblities way to overwhelming, confusing, and (mostly) unpredictable.

Another thing I've noticed is that traditional media artists, often like to continue using the one medium they're accustomed to, comfortable with, and enjoy using from traditional art experience, or maybe two or three, but not a wider range. These artists are not so disturbed by unpredictability as traditonal media is natural and presents surprises too.

And then there are the adventurers (me at the relative low end of the talent scale) who love to experiment and find new ways to do things. Mixing oils and watercolor would be an obvious and not uncommon example, but there are probably hundreds of others, maybe more, and some quite sophisticated. Those artists often take the same approach when it comes to learning techniques outside of Painter such as traditional media painting, serigraphy, etching, photography, fabric painting or dyeing, stained glass, book binding, writing, and any number of other creative areas. Three women who, to me, exemplify this approach are Dorothy Simpson Krause, Bonny Lhotka and Karin Schminke, artists and co-authors of a book on the digital mixed media processes they have developed over the last 10 years. The book is "Digital Art Studio: Techniques for Combining Inkjet Printing with Traditional Art Materials". Their website includes information on the book and links to demonstrations of their work, among other interesting things:

Digital Atelier, Printmaking for the 21st Century

Sometimes a more experienced Painter artist has a highly refined specialty, for instance woodcuts (not necessarily using the Woodcut Effect but doing them "by hand"). That artist might, in the process of creating their work, reach out and use a surprising range of brush variants, materials, and features to get it done, that would not be obvious (or even visible) to the viewer after the work is done.

And then there are the (self professed) "filter junkies" who barely begin to tap Painter's capabilities, applying filters to photo after photo with pretty predictable results.

I suppose there are other "groups" of Painter users who fall into one or another way of working based on their past experience, how inquisitive they are, how imaginative, and various other factors like time, money, and basic talent.

The bottom line is people do what they like and feel most at ease with, or what they need to do to get to the next level on their journey to wherever it is they want to go.

It's interesting to know what others like and do, but at best it can only be an education and inspiration to try something new. If one is not interested in learning from others new ways to work and is not inspired by them, then what's left is what one had already.

Ho hum... I'm feeling dizzy.. typing in circles.

Please, someone else take over!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.