Art: environment painting

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

environment painting

environment painting

hi everyone,

i thought it was finally time to pull up my sleeves and do an environment.
    i usually do characters or sketches, doing a more polished environment isnt really my forte, but i figured i needed to start for my portfolio's sake.

this is my first environment painting, i hope to do one a week for the next seven weeks or so, (im graduating in 11 weeks), this one took me about 4.5 hours, (i hope to speed it up with more practice), and i figure it came out ok.

im not really able to judge its worth since this isnt my area, so i thought i would post it and get some feedback.

well thanks for looking

Ali

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The foreground in this piece is extremely well done. The trees have just the right amount of detail to give them a kind of "dark forest" look and feel. However, the middle and background areas are confusing me a little. I think if you were to increase the contrast between the water on the right (our right) side and the isthmus it would define the land in the middle a little bit better. Also, you may want to add a character's silhouette traversing the isthmus to give the piece a defined focal point. These are just a couple minor suggestions though, the piece has a very strong mood to it which is a huge plus with concept art. Keep making new pieces, I look forward to viewing them!

Last edited by Xenethyl; July 15th, 2005 at 01:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Colours and overall mood are great. I think this could benefit from some crispier edges in places. You're a bit blurry, which could be argued as part of the mood of the scene, but if everything bleeds too much into the adjacent tone there's less to interest us. Also I would have tried some subtle reflected light in the darkest darks along the bottom margin, to promote the sense that there are muted but detailed forms there rather than just a large dark shape. Looking again I notice you've attempted this, but I would still like more convincing . If my teacher saw this she would likely comment that nothing leads into the picture--meaning, couldn't there be some twigs or something that start behind the picture and project into the scene? I tempt you to see if you can create the preception of another layer that's even closer to us than the current foreground elements.

Why do you get all the lunch in the world?

Become an accountability partner in my struggle to stop sketching on lined paper, click here.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.