Digital painting in PS - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Noob had to give it a try...

Here is my attempt at getting fruity. I really like this exercise. I am new to photoshop. Reading this thread has inspired me to start digital painting. Thanks Bumskee and Teigrob!

I had a little trouble with the reflected highlights from the table. I used the default hard edge brush primarily (with a short, unsuccessful, foray into the soft brush as seen in the horrible attempt at a shadow). 2 hours, no layers. Please crit.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Both of these pieces are looking very promising! JJ-astrum, you're doing a really fantastic job with color choices, but I'd like to see a little more blending. Khan, your apple is great, although you need a little more saturation in the shadows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JJ-astrum - more blending, as Data said, and also I notice the colours are getting a little dull. Don't be shy to reintroduce the original colour. I know the texture I did was interesting - that was the whole point!

Khan - very nice! I would go easy on the hilights though, they overwhelm the rest of the apple. I like the cast shadow - was that a glass table?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wow, fast response on the crits! This is great.

Datameister- Thanks for the crit! I appologize but I don't fully understand color saturation as it applies to photoshop. If you are saying that the color in the shadows is too muddy and gray, then I fully agree. I was having trouble conveying the surfaces in shadow, deep reds popped them forward and didn't look believable.

Teigrob- The apple was on a light gray, glossy table. It was lit from above and behind from a halogen desk lamp. I tried to accurately reproduce the highlights reflecting off the table but I agree, they don't help the painting. I should have handled them differently (omitted?)
    - My wife just came in and said that it looks like I took a bite out of it... Oh well. She likes the top half, though.

I really appreciate the crits. I am sure I can dig up some more still life subjects, They don't move too fast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks!

Teigrob and Datameister, thank you for your great input. Those help me to get on next step.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tei Tei, very very interesting textures and patterns.. hmm I am just thinking.. those would make a great texture brush. You don't mind if I take a bit of those and turn them into a brush do you? I really like what you did in the last one, nice good mix of texture, though it's semi-accidental and kinda abstract it's always good to experiment with things. See how on the last one? just imagineyou are going to pull out a oval shape out of the orange.. and carve that into a face..that would be interesting.. Experimenting is all good, but don't let thing stop there keep pushing it, and even though it's part of the process try to imply them to your work. good to see you mingle with photoshop, awsome.

JJ-astrum, the biggest problem would be the whites, if you use white with black to determinethe form it sort of starts looking real desaturated and false looking. Try and pick colour straight as much as you can instead of starting with very few. this also restricts you to very narrow colours so things really look dull. The apple even though might look redish orange most of the time, really has shite load of other colours. Little difference here and there makes that round thing pop. From your fruits you have done lot of low opacity paint and sampling instead of choosing your colours straight.. And spare the white for the end. Keep it going. Oh and also, both of your fruit are slightly leaning towards the left, might want to draw the surroundings a bit to correct it or a line down the centre.

Khan, lovely apple, nice show of form. I think you might have slightly gone too orange for the red, I mean your values seem good, maybe it's the colours like the green on the top, it's a bit too green, often a slight hint of green can do the job better than "green" you know what I mean right? I think you did very well with the finishing touch, the shadows really give that round form, little details here and there. Now the highlights are very hard, especailly when a flat part of the object seems to have direct reflection off the light source. I think you did alright, considering how hard it was. I think those two highlights on the left are little too intesnse though. keep it going!

I did this last week, I did everything in a layer, again A BAD habit.. and forgot to save the step. eeek

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow keep it up guys. they look great

Last edited by Blacksheep; November 30th, 2005 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bumskee, thanks. Actually, I pick the main colours and put them together, but I think I make my biggest mistake at the detailing, when I use lots of white and other bright colous. I don't use any black, but using lots of white and darker colours get just the same dull feeling as using black. Gotta try to shy away from white.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys great thread!!! i'm new to PS too. and this is a bigg helpseeing everyones progress. now i just need to paint paint paint. here's one i did last night, not for this thread but i thought i might ask for some help cause i kinda got lost or stuck.

oh and sorry it's not a fruit or anything

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pennington, glad you could join us.

Would have been good if it was an apple though haha, but it's kewl. Is that the real size btw? well painting a face is a BIG step, there's just so much to think about it's too hectic. That's one of the reason we are all sticking to something simple, so we get used to painting in photoshop + get comfortable enough so that we all start experimenting and find out what works for us. I strongly advise you start with something simple and work your way towards your goal. not saying you should drop it, but you should set aside your time to make studies which then can go into your creative work.

As for your painting, I think it's quite flat, but that style is very hard to translate into a painting style, often looks better with outlines.

hope you can do us an apple, hehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks! and guess what an apple... i don't have one now so i copied yours from page one. i started with lines and basic colors then started blending lowering the opacity. then i remembered to save the steps. so here they are.

i got stuck and couldn't get it finished v_v

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate the creation and progress of this thread. I've took a break from oil paints and have finally started to paint in Photoshop. However, I am still lacking a lot.

I do not completely understand how some of you can transform your first stage of base colors into the second stage of an already mixed opacity image that has the colors already beauitfully blended. To be honest, I am a little jealous.

However, here is the order of the some of fruit I've done:

From a photo reference - 30-40min

From a photo reference - 30-40min

Incomplete (I got hungry) - from a real life banana - about an hour

Incomplete (Again, got hungry) - from a real life apple - 20-30 min

I have another real life apple that I haven't submitted. I worked on it halfway and got distracted by the television. I'll finish it momentarily.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incomplete - from a real life apple - a little over an hour

I stopped at step four in blending since I got bored and jumped into doing some details in step five. Then I stopped at step five and discarded this study to work on another.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you have a graphics tablet?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Banana Time!

Here is my second attempt. Had to paint it quickly as it was turning browner by the minute.

PS 2.5 hours basic brush pallet. Used primarily the default hard edge brush. 2 layers. Lineart and color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive just read till page 4 and I this is my first paint. And I got a Wacom yesterday. Im soo happy lol

Anyways, this is what Ive done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just had to join, but didnt feel like painting an apple or something so..
    I'll post this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I have been keeping tabs on this fourm for awhile ( I should probably post ) and I just can't seem in understand how to get the smooth renditions, particulally in skin. I have tried the exercises but all mine look "chunky."

Also, I see some peoples work takes them like 45 min-2hours. Some things I try to do take days and I don't know why?

thanks to anyone that can help!

The Internet is my inspiration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kane702, you should post, show us what you mean.

there are number of ways to blend in photoshop, but we are mainly dealing with sampling and painting over the cross section here. Other methods such as blur and smudge is a little more tricky I think. Anyways, are you zooming in and using low opacity like 10~20% to blend? use bigger brush and if all fails use softer edge brush.

Time is relative to your skills in seeing values and colours. If you can hit the right value and right colour efficiently obivously it's going to take shorter to reach the finished stage. whereas if you spend good amount of time shifting and making corrections, longer. This obivously comes with experience and practice. Observation skills, understanding how colour and light works, and so on.

This thread is mainly for getting your hands dirty with digital painting with simple subject like an apple, and getting friendly with technical side of painting in photoshop. Learning how to blend things smooth is meaningless if you don't quite know where to place it... figuring out what works best for you..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread is great, bumskee. Helping me improve a lot, to say the least...

I'm very new to both digital and traditional drawing/painting, so any tips would be appreciated.

PS: I'm having trouble finding decent image references, and had to improvise with my plastic pear set (not much of a fruit fan). Anyone have any nice reference sites they wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice, very nice. I like the fact that the background isn't the standard white. I'd suggest a little more variety of hues in the pear, as well as slightly darker edges. And devote a little time to the shadow, too. Nice job, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    venomai, good pear, as Datameister pointed out, randomness is something that we should all think about, which makes it much more interesting. Also I was flicking through CA and found below thread by Idiot Apathy, an awsome thread. Please take time to participate if you can otherwise read up on the progress happening there. I will also participate as I need to study up colours and values.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53517

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A apple! Thought i would post it in here... Sorry if i should not of...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seth1, nice apple dude. though it almost looks like a peach.. I really think you did great with the bold strokes, nice strong colours. Nice textures, the leaf is a little cheesy though, ha! or looks a bit generic/odd, you know what I mean right?

would have been good if you posted some steps though. hehe. BTW check out the link in previous post to Idiot Apathy thread. I wish there was some way to integrate that thread with this. it will help so much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys,
    thanks so much for this thread - you give the phrase "an apple a day..." a whole new meaning...

i'm awfully late, i know, but i stumbled over your thread a few days ago - don't have too much reference-material in the kitchen, so i painted what i had.
    first photoshop-painting ever, so be gentle...
    sorry i forgot to save the steps, but i didn't plan to post at first (this is my first post in a forum ever, so sorry for any newbie-mistakes...)

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, my first digital apple

Sveta Dudetta
    P.S. Min, I'm so happy with your custom made brushes and thanks a lot for tips too, I didn't know about some shortcuts.

Last edited by sve; December 13th, 2005 at 12:38 PM.

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first pomegranate.

Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    stine, I think we chose apple because it's in a simple shape, easily accessable and if you get bored you can always eat it. hehe, Welcome to CA by the way! It's hardly late, I am sure we'll be painting apples for a loooong time. Remember it's about finding your own methods, this thread simply encourages you that digital painting isn't anything that requires special dance or amgical powers. You see it and you paint it, simple. Also check out the link to the colour thread few post up, I believe that's the missing infos here.

Your apples are great!, especially for first timers. I can see that your wacom lines are everywhere hehe but that's ok it's painting so you won't be needing that much. Try concentrating on certain parts to add details, zoom in and go nuts. I think you know what you are doing, show us some steps next time.

Sve, my dear friend, glad you could join us! how's your new wacom anyway? getting friendly with it? by the looks of it you seem to be. Some nice techniques being used, would be good to see you develop them further. I must say though your blacks are coming too strong, use black and white sparingly. Save them for speical ocassions. A little rushed perhaps, I would like to see you work on a detailed piece, spend some time observing and put down details as you see them. The reason it's good to post steps is for others to see how you are getting to your results, I think those are a little flat, volume wise. You can always add details at the end. but yeah. hehe Oh and be sure to check that colour thread ok? talk soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot! i painted an onion this time. the only veggie i could get in our kitchen...
    yep, the lines were a little bit too heavy, got rid of them this time.

onions are much harder than apples, i think... not quite happy with it - didn't get the material right, i guess. and the bouncing light was quite hard to get. i also started loosing color by adding the shadows. the onion is quite "greyish" in reality, but still...
    i will definitely have a look at the color-thread. thanks for the hint. guess, that'll help a lot understanding the general form of the object.
    damn, it's late! forgot the time. better get some sleep!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my 2 cents.

Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast