Page 7 of 97 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital painting in PS

Thanks

mind if I join in?

Firstly, I just wanna say this is an amazing thread, so many great tips and so many great pieces by everyone. I've been trying to figure out a way to blend better on digital art recently and this thread was the answer to my prayers . Secondly, I wanted to throw my attempt into this thread (if it's all right); wish I had seen this thread earlier on, because I know I would have joined in. Anyway, here is my attempt.

Digital painting in PS

I'ma keep on working at it; again great thread!
    /salute
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Lookin' good there Onir, but it looks like you're having the same problem as I am - going too small on the brush too soon. Keep things real large until you're ready for the last detailed stuff. Welcome to the thread!

Thanks
    Here's a more shaped out metal/copper teapot. Whaddaya think?

Digital painting in PS
    Last edited by ksgant; August 1st, 2005 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks
    Very cool! It's coming along very nicely. Still need some highlights though - metal usually has some strips of white to give it that shiny look. Even if it's old and buffed, it should still have some spots of white on it. I'm curious - how did you get that wonderful ink drawing?? Did you do that directly in PS? If so, I am SO jealous. I cannot for the life of me draw something clean in ps. It's why I like fruit so much - irregular shapes.

Thanks
    Well, the line drawing used paths to create the outline and then stroked the path with a 2 pixel brush to make it. Then I went back in freehand with the same 2 pixel brush and added the detail.

Again, I fell back on my old habits when I was in graphic arts. We used paths to silo out images all the time and after you do about 10,000 of them it gets to be second nature. I also use the Wacom to lay out the paths too as I find it easier.

It's kind of a cheat, but you get a nice clean line.

Thanks
    ksgant I think the teapot is coming out great keep it up!

Teigrob thanks for the advice! I tried what you said on my latest attempt and I think it came out pretty well. Anyway here it is:

Digital painting in PS

A problem I'm having is puting highlights onto the object; I look around this thread and see some reaaally good looking highlights. When I do them though they don't come out looking anywhere close to a good highlight. Is there any specific brush that is used? or is it alot of blending? Ahh well, I'll be back with another.

/salute

Thanks
    Well, it depends on the object of course...potatos for instance, have a real dull surface while apples are pretty shiny and metal moreso. I noticed the highlights on your apple were striped sideways, like your other brush strokes. So far as I've noticed, apples have a 'grain' like wood that goes from stem to end, not horizontally around, so that would have an effect. Also, speaking for myself, I use a relatively large brush when adding highlights, and a VERY low opacity: usually ten. Then, I just 'dot' the hightlight on. I don't think you'd stroke it, unless the form called for it...what do you think, guys?

I'll get to painting again soon, I promise...I'm slackin'!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    you guys are going good.. while me really slacking off.. heheh but I have to do this work..and so on..I know I know.. excuses hehe.. Ok crits.

ksgant, I am with Tei, the mouth end seems to look a lot more copperish than the body... looking good though.

Onir, apple looks good, but you have sort of achieved a different surface for apple I think.. not the kind of skin apple would have, more like a raddish or a carrot? The potato well done, slightly flat though, even though the you are concentrating on the potato, just quickly sketch in a background and shadows.

Teigrob, I absolutely agree with your about the surfaces and the techniques you explains is similar to mine.. though I do from time to time use a custom made brush.. Before finishing it off with the default.. One of the reason we should paint all the different surfaces, as much as we can..

I better do soe skeletons, busted again.. hehehe and then do some spoons.. hehe good going guys and gals~

Thanks
    *deep breath* okay, mermaid time...I think I need to practice colouring humans more.

sketch -

Digital painting in PS

solids...

Digital painting in PS

details...

Digital painting in PS

more details...

Digital painting in PS

and finish.

Digital painting in PS

everyone's free to take a crack at her too - I don't mind! I tried to get the shiny nature of her tail, but I don't think I succeeded too well. I'm also too timid on the dark darks... oh well, practice makes perfect, right?

Thanks
    Great tutorial. Very simple tips but they helped me out a lot. The old way I learned to paint digitaly was do do it in black and white and color later. I learned that from creating skins for games and it is a terrible way to work. Smudge dodge and burn used to be my best friends but I didnt touch them a single time. Anyways here is some yum yum root beer. BTW im new to posting here, but have been a long time fan of this place.

Done from life 4 hours maybe?
    Digital painting in PS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    Teigrob, ahhhh.. mermaid, such a nice design. I think the dots didn't quite work out as you planned it right? also how about that shiny still life?? it will be a good practice. I should do one too..

eggnog, that's awsome bottle, would have been to have seen the steps though. You have got the colours/values spot on especially on the reflections, we all know how hard that is. Yes, I am aware some people do black and white and then color over it. Turning the layer into "color" blending mode right? It's used mostly for pencil works and so on... but didn't know it was used for digital painting too. There are people that uses smudge, dodge and burn tool well but unless you know what you are doing it can quickly ruin the piece or you suddenly find yourself relying on them too much. It's best to stick to the basics and then discover other tools as you progress. The bottle is impressive.

Thanks
    All right bumskee, here's your spoon...I gather the purpose of this was to show how much I don't know? I hate metallics...oh well.

sketch...this also shows how pathetic my skills are in sketching on a wacom tablet...

Digital painting in PS

solids...

Digital painting in PS

details..

Digital painting in PS

and finish. Bleah. Can't I stick to organics? Please?

Digital painting in PS

Thanks
    Ok, my two cents worth.

First, Great forum and thank you for doing this tutorial section bumskee. Perhaps I'll join later when I get a couple things (photoshop and tablet might help). I've really enjoyed watching the progress of all here.

Now onto my observations for Teigrob's spoon. You're digital sketching is getting better with each one you do. It looks like a spoon and so it conveyed what you intended. In your final version, the lower portion of the spoon looks really nice interms of a dull, tarnished metal. The upper scoop portion though looks as though you got frustrated and had to stop.

Overall I would have to say that this is a good, first attempt at metalics. And the end of the spoons handle looks like a spoon I would find in my kitchen. Keep up the good work.

Page 7 of 97 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 ... LastLast