Digital painting in PS - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, my two cents worth.

First, Great forum and thank you for doing this tutorial section bumskee. Perhaps I'll join later when I get a couple things (photoshop and tablet might help). I've really enjoyed watching the progress of all here.

Now onto my observations for Teigrob's spoon. You're digital sketching is getting better with each one you do. It looks like a spoon and so it conveyed what you intended. In your final version, the lower portion of the spoon looks really nice interms of a dull, tarnished metal. The upper scoop portion though looks as though you got frustrated and had to stop.

Overall I would have to say that this is a good, first attempt at metalics. And the end of the spoons handle looks like a spoon I would find in my kitchen. Keep up the good work.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I think it's safe to say I got better as I went along. Thanks...I think I'd still like to stick to organics though...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tei! nice spoon, the decoration bit came out really good. Although the reflection does seem a little patchy. It's about getting the values right I think.. I am going to have a crack at it this week sometime as soon as I finish off something I am on... Also use the big fat soft edge brush if you are having trouble blending with hard edge. It works well in large areas.

you are improving heaps Tei!! Stick with fruits and veggies for now then? You should be feeling good, you are doing very well, the improvement is amazing considering how little time we've had..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright I have an addiction now.

Bumskee thanks. I shall never go back to shading in greyscale and then coloring it.

I spent a large chunk of my day working on this. Using this digital painting technique on a cloth study(first try ever). It took a long time but I am pretty happy with the results.

Pilow case folded several times over a small box.

A lot happens in some of the steps but basically its just a ton of blending.

Done from life again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    R....i..g..h.t.... you should post that in "finished" section.. bah! that's brilliant.. awsome dude awsome.. looks very very very real too, must have been a good blending exercise and you used to not doing things with smudge/dodge/burn tool.. you should be happy with the result, now if you want to share anything you figured out or what seems to work best for you do SO!! I guess it's not so much just all blending you gotta know what to blend with what.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eggnog - holy cow, that is frickin' amazing!!! *sigh* to be so good...

As promised, my knife. I think it turned way better than the spoon...but I still have loads to learn.

sketch

solids

details..

started to work on the decoration...

and finish.

metal is hard! But I enjoyed it all the same...whatcha think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teigrob- Haha thank you but when it comes to actually drawing you would put me to shame. I still have a ton to learn about the basics. Nice job on the knife. Polished metals like that are TOUGH. I bet when you are that close to the knife and you close an eye you will see a completly different reflection. Mind boggling stuff.

Bumskee- Thanks a bunch! Glad you like it. I was gonna post up a little tip sheet on blending but when I double checked you had already covered it all. There are a lot of great studies in this thread. The thing is some people are in a bit of a rush and/or dont really follow your steps. A couple pitfalls I noticed were blending, details, and outline.

Blending: I use a brush as soft as possible at low opacity. Opacity of the brush really depends on the colors you are blending. I will start out low, usually 30%, then once I get decent colors I work up to maybe 50% and finish off with very soft blending of 10%. Sample very often. Sometimes I am sampling every other stroke. Use a tablet and really use the pressure sensitivity to its fullest. Practice creating a couple gradients using 2 colors.

Details: In a lot of examples I see details being put in before the colors are blended fully. For example lines and spots on an apple. Once you do something like that you cant go back and blend the colors very easily. Its tempting but you really should wait and put them in at the end.

Outlines: Ditch these early. The sketch is an important part but it should never be visible at the end(Character studies are forgiven). No shadows are black, even if its a tiny line paint over it with the appropriate color.

Keep up the good work! Lets see some more.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to eggnog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, yeah, well...and try doing it over two different days! Nah, it wasn't so bad...once you get the hang of it. The hardest part is getting the right colours. Thanks for all the tips eggnog - those are great. Reinforcement of bumskee's teaching!

This was what I saw out of my window last night, and I just wanted to replicate it. Wasn't that hard - gradient in the background, and silhouetted foreground. Pretty simple stuff, but I like the effect. I'll get back to doing my still lifes now...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tei, that's a nice knife.. well done,love the decoration!!!. wasn't that hard was it?? I think it's all mental, just keep going you are improving fast!! We all know how hard reflection is, especially with metals, you've done great. One crit is it sort of lacks contrast, and where the handle and decoration bit is there's a bit too much black? sort of gives that outline look.

As for the landscape, must have been a nice view. I really think that's like "block and chunk" stage, from there on, just quickly paint some on top, lose some of the hard edge lines, paint some gradients yourself, it looks too generic. You know what I mean right? It's good to see you trying out different things with painting. As soon as I finish this little website I am going for someone I will post my skeletons and do some paitings myself..

eggnog, thanks for sharing that. I guess it's imporatnt people to get into practice of working big(simple shapes/colours) at start and finish of with details. But again, experiment is the best thing to do, gotta figure out what works best for yourself. I saw an article at cgtalk.com illustrating use of smudge tool, the result was outstanding, and obviously that person understands and uses smudge tool in the right way. Of course he makes sure that smudge tool is only pushing paint the way he wants not the other way around where the smudge tool is directing the way of his painting. I will post that later, for now let's all stick to being simple and stupid..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, oh it was hard...mostly, like I said, with the colours. The actual reflections are pretty simple to put down - they're just lines. But getting the correct colours...argh!!! Yes, you're right about the black outlines: I got a little carried away. Harkening back to my inking days I guess...

I know the last one was generic...I just wanted to paint what I saw - a silhouette. Sorry to inflict it on ya'll, I'll try and stick to still lifes and such. So, when I'm further along and just fantastic with textures and blending like you and tempist, I'll do another! (I know, she's mostly traditional, but still...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've only had Photoshop for a few months now, and had little time to really experiment with it. I have to say, this tutorial has completely turned around my digital painting style and benefitted it more than I can harldy imagine. That Alt trick and "painting by sampling" is just so much more effective for building up color as well as starting and remaining opaque. Thanks to everyone on this thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good thread for sure.. I JUST got my Wacom today, and i played around with it, and this is the result... i think its pretty good for my first ever Digital Painting, minus the shape of the tomato, and maybe the stem there.. but i was just seeing what i could chrun out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Liquidspider - that is pretty good! Better than my first attempt, lol! Keep it up - Try to get a more evenly blended surface...and show your steps too!

Okay, okay - bumskee needled me into painting again..sorry it's been awhile, life's been busy...but here she is: Super Teigrob! hehe, whatever...

sketch:

solids:

From here on out, I did one piece at a time to completion...so this is the kinkajou completed (nothing else)

hair...

skin...

shirt progression...

shirt finished and pants started...

And everything else.

I think I did a good job on avoiding too much highlighting...what do you think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kent,

Liquidspider, good start, but you should avoid soft edge brush for now, I think we discussed this earlier before... it can make things nasty real quick. Keep things simple for now.

Tei.. needled you?? hehe.. well, it was a good line work.. and the subject was superb. you know you wanted to do it, I just encouraged you a little. hehe. now for crit, notice how the finished product is so dull in colour? I think that becuase of the black outlines.. it must effect so much to the whole colour scheme.. I quite like step 5, simpler and flatter colour, seems to suit this style better, again because of the outline maybe? what did you use to do the outline in? it's very clean, illustrator? I must say you did give it a good shape especially in the chest area but the face is a bit flat.. I am sure you have but check out Bengal's work, he does his with black outlines and gets away with it nicely..

Skeletons? this weekend, I am going to draw heaps.. I just had an interesting week, doing some non study stuff and working.. ok ok.. I am making excuses.. PEER PRESSURE?? is a beautiful thing, thank god we have it otherwise we seriously would have given up ages ago.. Thanks Tei.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nope, those black lines are my original ink. I never posted it in pencil. I had a thought -- and lost it before I sat down to paint -- and recovered it just now - How do you attach an adjustment layer to the layer right below it, so it doesn't affect the subsequent layers? If I could do such a layer above the ink sketch, wouldn't I then be able to change the colour of the ink? Kind of like multiply, but I'm not sure. There must be a way - they do it in animation all the time! That, I think, would make it pop really well...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome thread, too bad I hate coloring in PS...

You should try out the New Media Coloring Book; it's basically what your doing now with other people's lines.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho....php?p=555809#
    This should be the latest page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tei, try the adjustment layer, it's the circle icon, half white/black in the layer palette, it effect all layer underneath, not sure how else you would do it.. you would have to mask this adjustment layer and make sure other coloured bits aren't effected I guess..

I have done a similar sort of thing but for work so I am not allowed to post it. but I did the lines in flash, as it's much quicker and easier to colour and import to PS and went about in colouring from there.....

bah Let me investigate a little... will edit this post as to what I find out..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool work guys...Loved your jackaroo color job bumskee
    Also i really like the silverware Teigrob- the knife was a huge improvement over the spoon. Reminds me I need to do some studies like that.
    Keep going..this is really informative!

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im with loomer..keep going! This stuff is very inspiring to see, especially the blending stuff. What do you mean by sampling to blend though? Ill have to do some of those gradient studies and chip away at it =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gaah I haven't posted here in a little while... great stuff everybody! everyone's pieces look really good. Well, here's my newest attempt at and apple and other things on my desk. I don't think it came out that bad honestly; I do know I need to work on things still. Ahh well here it is:

Well, I'll be back with more! Keep on posting em everyone!

/salute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That apple's lookin' good there, Onir! On the other pieces though, you're still using too small of a brush - for broad areas of uniform colour, grab a big, fat brush and lay it on! It's very similar to traditional painting and the initial 'wash' of colour. Kudos for trying other desk paraphanelia.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tei, I don't think you can change the colour of the lines as you want it to.. unless you cut it out bit by bit and change them.. It's probably faster to trace it in illustrator or flash and adjust the line of colours there and import from PS.. I do my line stuff in flash..it's easier to draw I guess.. not an illustrator fan.. Maybe someone else have a solution, anyone?

cateaic, you paint 50% of a colour on top of another colour right? and then you "sample" that part and go again so you are painting now with a mixed colour and so on.. god I am crap at explaining stuff.... TEI, help!

Onir, A little too patchy I think, very muted colours. Try to add details right at the end, but before make sure the overall colour scheme is similar. squint your eyes a bit if you are distracted by details and stuff..

ok.. just thought I share some of the brushes I use.. I made some and downloaded some and some are modified and so on.. I have downloaded too many brush set from various place and have lost when and where I got them.. So I unfortunately I can't give credits to those who deserver them.. sorry.

BRUSH here

ok... now, I thought I give a run down on drawing in PS.. we all have a wacom and drawing in PS is kinda like a soft pen drawing..

I use the "drawing" brush in the above set. it's one of the default brushes in PS, which has the shape dynamic turned on. Opacity 100% and black.

I just go for it.. didn't bother with construction lines. the drawing in PS sort of really smooth so keep your pen loose and don't press too hard.

and more

control the line weight?

Add some hatching, keep it soft and don't go too quick.. I also tidy up? with stronger lines..

Add some colour with "smooth_paint" brush, it's got that painter feel to it.. I made this brush by the way.

My still life attempt at tomato.. I was just experimenting with texture and stuff.. like "impasto" kind of effect in PS.. well.. more experiment to do..

line drawing..

some basic colouring..
    line drawing..

blending blending..

tried some texture here... used layer style, bevel really small..on a separate layer..

I actually went back and added more black lines.. I guess I am not a big fan of clean air brushed look stuff..

Ok..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Basically what bumskee is fumbling around trying to explain with 'sampling' (hehe ) is to take your eyedropper tool (hold down 'alt' key while you're in brush mode) and click where you painted one 50% colour over another 50% colour (or whatever percentage you used. I generally use 60% to start.) This gives you a mix of the two colours, and you paint another stroke, which creates yet another slightly different colour to be 'sampled'. Keep doing this, and you will create a nice gradient from dark to light, or from saturated red to saturated blue. Sampling is why we stick with four (more or less) colours - there's really no need to have a bunch of gradients of the same colour when you can achieve the same effect with the opacity of the brush and sampling. Beware though - sampling tends to grey out the colours, so occasional infusions of the original brilliant colour may be in order.

There, should be clear as mud!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey again, thanks for the comments on my piece, I'll definitely keep those in mind when I do my next one (should be later today). just posting to say that the picture tutorials you give always help out alot bumskee and also that little paragraph you wrote Teigrob was actually really helpful to me; helped me see some things I want to change in my painting method.

oh well, next time I post there will be an image accompanying it!

/salute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teigrob, I'm not completely sure if I understand the question, you want to be able to change the black lineart to another color ?

try
    * select a bit of black color, than: select -> similar: all black is now selected, and you can paint over this selected part.
    * the magic wand tool should do the same trick (if it doesn't select all black, you need to check or uncheck (I always forget which one) 'contiguous')

I don't have PS open right now, so if you can't figure the steps out, let me know, and I'll check if I didn't miss any.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

(yay! first post!)

i tried this type of shading, and i kinda like it, but i did mine more dotty. i dont think it turns out terribly realistic but it looks cool

edit: oh yeah, i didn't bother to finish the skirt. i had to go eat dinner. i may finish it. ... fixed the link.

Last edited by petite_patineuse; August 15th, 2005 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey once again,

petite_patineuse, I'd love to comment on your picture but I can't see it it's happened before where I just can't see someone's picture and I have no idea how to fix it.

hmm my attempt didn't go that well this time in my opinion... I think I sketched it curved initially, it came out a bit flat looking, and I forgot to put a background behind it before I finished it. Ahh well helped me learn a bit though, and that's what really matters though right? lol ok well here is the door stopper I painted.

well, until next time,

/salute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Petite! I can't see the picture. See if you can't rectify it soon - I'd like to see!

Nightvision - I'd forgotten all about selection - and I used to do that sort of thing all the time! sheesh - Thanks!

Onir - looking good dude, you're improving all the time! I need to post again here soon. That door stopper is metal, right? So the highlights should be smooth, as opposed to fruit, which has a more textured surface, and therefore the more spotty highlights. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys - i have a silly problem. I saw a wacom in a store today and didnt really want to get home without it. So i bought it and installed it. The problem is it works fine for a few minuts, then it dies and cant be moved around. When i restart the computer it works fine again for a short while before it goes dead. I tried playing around in PS coloring one of my drawings and...OMG!!!! Its going to be sooooo cool to work with it! I was blasting strokes like a madman and then it went . Its like having a piece of candy in your hand and being told you cant eat it. Im pretty lame with this computerstuff so if you know whats wrong or just have an idea it would be great to hear! Thhis reply might belong in the lounge, but i also wanted to say hi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fellah!! Dude, great to see you here. Sorry to hear about the tablet, that is soooo not cool! Didja try going to their website - the maker's, I mean? ex.: www.wacom.com - I don't know if that is the maker of your particular tablet, but you get the idea. They might have a trouble-shooting section on their website for such problems. Can't wait to see some paintings from you!

Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast