Digital painting in PS - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the critiques. Always very helpful. I tried to apply them to my next study - not sure how successfully though. But that's what more critiquing is for.

Tei. That peach makes me want one right now Very nice Textures. I really like seeing the progression. I wonder how differently the finished product would be if you worked in more solid colors at first with broader brushes? And then started using the blender and small detail brush at the end, like you do now. Anyway, good work.

Ok, here's my next study, and I believe this thread's first banana. I saved my progression this time. Please excuse the sketch. My eye-hand coordination with the tablet isn't so hot Again, used hard rounds, with varying opacity and flow settings. Any critiques would be very helpful as always.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just drawed a ... hm .. don't know the english word, but normally is long and green. My is very small, funny one... Haven't finished yet. Hope it is "the same" tomorrow morning.

Greetz from Austria,
    Flo
    My long Journey that just needs some practice. Critics are welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FLO - exactly what I meant. So you'll get the blended version of the two colours, you paint with that on low opacity, then pick that colour and so on and so forth. You'll get the hang of it quickly.

I was going to do an avacado, but...oh well. Peach instead!

Some fun with those nifty brushes Daspetey made available - thanks dude!

More fun with texture...

and finish...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I was trying to post today but wouldn't let me..something wrong with the forum.. anyways it seems it's all good now..

FL0, seems like you are on the right track.. zucchini. Thanks for pointing out my signature, better fix it soon.

daspetey, I will post my frequent used brush.. nothing fancy as yours though..

ksgant, nice apple.. maybe few more highlight on the left hand side?

livtf, nice banana, love the colour. And nice brush work too. I think the steps illustrate well how you've tackled it and came to a very nice result.

Tei, nice peach. the shape is a bit off though.. Don't be afraid to adjust the shape while painting. I like what u did on stpe 3, saves trouble of lots of blending. Though I am not too sure about the shadow being a different style. I guess I do that too but I try to make them flow a little.

Ok, I had a go at the roo..ahh..not a satisfying result though. I might fetch another drawing from Tei and go again. Didn't know what to do with the background too.. but here goes, the idea is to treat the line drawing as the usual line drawing.

First, open the line drawing and I brought up the contrast by using level (CTRL+L)

Now, the jpeg is a background by default, all you have to do is double click it and this will turn it into a normal layer.. Just double click the "background" layer in the palette and you will be prompt wit the following alert. This is what I was talking about before TEI with the flower drawing of yours.

Now in the create a layer underneath this one, and fill in white. In using short keys? ctrl+alt+shift+N for new layer, ctrl+[ to bring it down in order, d to reset foreground and background, ctrl + backspace to fill white. Now these do speed up workflow, knowing your shot keys..
    Ok after that, create another layer in between, that's where we are going to start. Lastly change the line drawing layer, the top most blending mode into "multiply".

That's it and then off you go.. sounds hectic but once you get used to layers and so on it's very handy and easy.

blocks..I think I chose the wrong colour from the start..

some blending and colouring.... since there's no ref.. it's how much do you understand form and lighting..

After this, I created a layer on TOP of the line drawing and painted.. details..and so on.. Used some texture brush too..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the start of my version of the jackaroo. I usually start off with flat colors and trying to cover the entire linework. Also, why blue fur? Why not?

Here I'm starting to put some shapes in here and there.

More shaping. Also I airbrushed in a shadow underneath...I know I should paint it but airbrushing shadows was beat into me when I used to do the Keebler artwork.

I'll start in on the hair now. I'll try to post again soon.

Last edited by ksgant; August 1st, 2005 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It isn't a zuccini. But it's the other green long green, thick, green, have i said green. Maybe there are only common in our housholds, here in the middle of europe. *g*.
    The 'roos are funny, but I think the colors of Bumskee's are quit off. The color is much brighter, i think. -->
    http://www.levins-in-sehma.de/images...7Kaenguru1.jpg
    http://www.in-chemnitz.de/tierpark-c...5/kaenguru.jpg
    The blue one is quit funny.
    Tei, your peach is good so far, but if i am allowed to say something, i think that you should use a bigger brush, because so you can see evry little brush stroke. But if you didn't want to do a real peach, even more a impressionistish peach, it's very good *G*, overall i like it.
    The banana is also good.

Greetz from Austria,
    Flo
    My long Journey that just needs some practice. Critics are welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, my jackaroo has gone horribly wrong. Somewhere when I started adding the detail to the hair I stood back and looked at this thing and thought wow, what a piece of crap. It's been years since I've been involved in art and I've found my skills have waned quite a bit. Need to hit the wacom more now and practice practice.

Anyway, here's the mutant blue jackaroo. It isn't finished, but it seems the more I add to it the worse it gets.

Last edited by ksgant; August 2nd, 2005 at 07:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks FLO and livtf - I followed your suggestions and blended more with a big brush before heading smaller. I think it worked very well!

I didn't post the sketch, 'cause it's already on this thread...so, solids first. Well, kinda...

Some blending...

Starting on the finish details...

And final! Whatcha guys think? I'm pretty happy with it, actually. It turned out far better than I was expecting. All that fruit practice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YES! THAT is the way I wish mine was Teigrob. I think I really messed up because I was trying to do too much detail at first and then the hair just got out of hand. I KNOW I shouldn't have done the hair like I did but for some reason I couldn't stop myself.

Great work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ksgant! This is a new and exciting realm for me. I really liked the airbrushed shadow you did - was it on a separate layer? You should join us fruit heads! It'll get you back into painting in no time! Isn't this fun? I love this site!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks teigrob. I have an apple on the other page of this thread, did that yesterday as I came late to the game.

Yes, the airbrushed shadow was on a separate layer. I did a lot of commercial photoshop work on packaging and POS (Point of Sale) displays. That's where everything was pretty much airbrushed to within an inch of it's life. But I've been retired for 2 years on that. I recently got a new Wacom tablet and decided to relearn from scratch.

Never really learned how to "paint" in Photoshop like this. As you can tell from my shading attempts on your Roo it's a bit amateurish, especially the hair. I think I need to work a little bolder...have really contrasting light/dark color combinations when I work on the base color. Work big and work the detail smaller and smaller. At least I think I should do that...

I'll give it another go...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So you did - geez, I should pay more attention. Sorry! Yes, try, try again! I'd like to see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice Teig! Very good blending. Nice textures.

I think you've got the technique down.

The only negative critique I have at this point is, I think the mid-tones need to be more saturated. The highlights and shadows are nice and scaled back, but adding higher saturated midtones would give the 'roo more volume. Right now it's feeling a little flat between the mid-tones and shadows. The the shift from highlights to midtones seem to be ok though.

Still, great job.

BTW, I looked at your Zoo sketchbook. It was very inspiring. Just wonderful stuff in there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3 tomatos out of our garden, they are so yummy... *Grin*.
    Overall I like it, but the highlights aren't how I want it to look like..

I'm with livtf concerning tei's 'roo.

//EDIT: such a lovely, great, cool thread, i love it !

Last edited by FL0; July 27th, 2005 at 12:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YUM! Those are some nice looking tomatos! Thanks for the crits on the 'roo guys...practice makes perfect!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm redoing the jackaroo. Not done with it, just blocking out the colors. I think this is better than what I did before. I also used the color scheme that teigrob used.

Last edited by ksgant; August 1st, 2005 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awsome people.. we having a ball with tei's ROO. Tei, you should post more of your line drawings, so if you don't feel like a still life we can do one of your drawing. you know you want to~

FL0, nice tomatoes, the top right one is looking very good. If I ever get an access to one I might give that a go. BTW are you alright with the blending stuff?

How about some shiny stuff? like pots and so on.. shiny metal stuff, I think studying different surfaces will be great for painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, here's a teapot. I found a copper teapot image on the web and then sketched out an outline.

Then I started blocking out the colors. The handle was a big pain btw. Doesn't look like metal yet though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

mind if I join in?

Firstly, I just wanna say this is an amazing thread, so many great tips and so many great pieces by everyone. I've been trying to figure out a way to blend better on digital art recently and this thread was the answer to my prayers . Secondly, I wanted to throw my attempt into this thread (if it's all right); wish I had seen this thread earlier on, because I know I would have joined in. Anyway, here is my attempt.

I'ma keep on working at it; again great thread!
    /salute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin' good there Onir, but it looks like you're having the same problem as I am - going too small on the brush too soon. Keep things real large until you're ready for the last detailed stuff. Welcome to the thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a more shaped out metal/copper teapot. Whaddaya think?

Last edited by ksgant; August 1st, 2005 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool! It's coming along very nicely. Still need some highlights though - metal usually has some strips of white to give it that shiny look. Even if it's old and buffed, it should still have some spots of white on it. I'm curious - how did you get that wonderful ink drawing?? Did you do that directly in PS? If so, I am SO jealous. I cannot for the life of me draw something clean in ps. It's why I like fruit so much - irregular shapes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the line drawing used paths to create the outline and then stroked the path with a 2 pixel brush to make it. Then I went back in freehand with the same 2 pixel brush and added the detail.

Again, I fell back on my old habits when I was in graphic arts. We used paths to silo out images all the time and after you do about 10,000 of them it gets to be second nature. I also use the Wacom to lay out the paths too as I find it easier.

It's kind of a cheat, but you get a nice clean line.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ksgant I think the teapot is coming out great keep it up!

Teigrob thanks for the advice! I tried what you said on my latest attempt and I think it came out pretty well. Anyway here it is:

A problem I'm having is puting highlights onto the object; I look around this thread and see some reaaally good looking highlights. When I do them though they don't come out looking anywhere close to a good highlight. Is there any specific brush that is used? or is it alot of blending? Ahh well, I'll be back with another.

/salute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it depends on the object of course...potatos for instance, have a real dull surface while apples are pretty shiny and metal moreso. I noticed the highlights on your apple were striped sideways, like your other brush strokes. So far as I've noticed, apples have a 'grain' like wood that goes from stem to end, not horizontally around, so that would have an effect. Also, speaking for myself, I use a relatively large brush when adding highlights, and a VERY low opacity: usually ten. Then, I just 'dot' the hightlight on. I don't think you'd stroke it, unless the form called for it...what do you think, guys?

I'll get to painting again soon, I promise...I'm slackin'!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you guys are going good.. while me really slacking off.. heheh but I have to do this work..and so on..I know I know.. excuses hehe.. Ok crits.

ksgant, I am with Tei, the mouth end seems to look a lot more copperish than the body... looking good though.

Onir, apple looks good, but you have sort of achieved a different surface for apple I think.. not the kind of skin apple would have, more like a raddish or a carrot? The potato well done, slightly flat though, even though the you are concentrating on the potato, just quickly sketch in a background and shadows.

Teigrob, I absolutely agree with your about the surfaces and the techniques you explains is similar to mine.. though I do from time to time use a custom made brush.. Before finishing it off with the default.. One of the reason we should paint all the different surfaces, as much as we can..

I better do soe skeletons, busted again.. hehehe and then do some spoons.. hehe good going guys and gals~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *deep breath* okay, mermaid time...I think I need to practice colouring humans more.

sketch -

solids...

details...

more details...

and finish.

everyone's free to take a crack at her too - I don't mind! I tried to get the shiny nature of her tail, but I don't think I succeeded too well. I'm also too timid on the dark darks... oh well, practice makes perfect, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great tutorial. Very simple tips but they helped me out a lot. The old way I learned to paint digitaly was do do it in black and white and color later. I learned that from creating skins for games and it is a terrible way to work. Smudge dodge and burn used to be my best friends but I didnt touch them a single time. Anyways here is some yum yum root beer. BTW im new to posting here, but have been a long time fan of this place.

Done from life 4 hours maybe?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teigrob, ahhhh.. mermaid, such a nice design. I think the dots didn't quite work out as you planned it right? also how about that shiny still life?? it will be a good practice. I should do one too..

eggnog, that's awsome bottle, would have been to have seen the steps though. You have got the colours/values spot on especially on the reflections, we all know how hard that is. Yes, I am aware some people do black and white and then color over it. Turning the layer into "color" blending mode right? It's used mostly for pencil works and so on... but didn't know it was used for digital painting too. There are people that uses smudge, dodge and burn tool well but unless you know what you are doing it can quickly ruin the piece or you suddenly find yourself relying on them too much. It's best to stick to the basics and then discover other tools as you progress. The bottle is impressive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All right bumskee, here's your spoon...I gather the purpose of this was to show how much I don't know? I hate metallics...oh well.

sketch...this also shows how pathetic my skills are in sketching on a wacom tablet...

solids...

details..

and finish. Bleah. Can't I stick to organics? Please?

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast