Digital painting in PS - Page 22
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital painting in PS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to draw something else, while I was inspired.
    Donh't tell my mom, but that potato and this onion, are the only vegetables I have in my house.

Shhh!

I was already getting discouraged on the sketch alone. =(

Ok, this onion looks more like a boobie. Definitely not easy.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *pops in*
    Capella, I think the main thing you are missing here is correct values. If you look at these they are very very close in value making it harder to read the subject. I'd suggest working in black and white, maybe do the onion or potato again and focus on the correct values.
    *pops out*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought ide post this in here aswell... Posted in the feather thread to..

Quick painting for a study for tut...

The tutorial painting...
    ..Heres the video...
    http://seth-norman.com/Feathers.html
    and the finished image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Ill try that as soon as my fingers un-cramp.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I tried the onion in B&W. Actually this was much harder, and less fun! =(

Im not sure it I achevied anything at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grayscale is coming across much better, m8! I find working in grayscale to be golden in terms of figuring out the tonal range. Then, when that's all said and done, I'll glaze like a mad man with color in Photoshop.
    The cast shadow is odd for me, but then again I don't know the layout you have going on for your study.
    Cheers!
    Dave

ps. Seth1 - that parrot looks like it was a fun project for you! Nice textures.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, grayscale came across better. Nice. Sorry you didn't have any fun ! But value is very important I think.

I still think you could use a higher value range though. Not sure of your set up, perhaps it is very very bright and washed out. If that's the case... perhaps place the onion on something dark or black.

I did a dirty edit to show you more of what I meant; having white as the background limits what you can do with your highlights, whether or not it's what you saw - you might change your still life setup to take better advantage of this perhaps?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your Onion looks more alive than the "subject" onion is. I actually didn't think when choosing it , now I realize that I had a yellow onion, under a yellow light, on a legal pad.

Ill definitely play around with better setup, just need to buy some other veggies. Or fruits.

Thanks guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello all. After, getting over all your amazing art works and wiping the drool off of my chin, shirt, tablet and table, I figured that I should give this thing a try. So, simply enough I did. It took far longer than It should've but at least I'm satisfied with the result. I picked up quite A bit from this thread and I think this would be the First actual digital painting i've ever done. So give me your thoughts! (on the painting. I'm not comanding you to relinquish your thoughts to me.)

Sorry in advanced, by the by, I forgot, in the process of painting this, to take several screenshots of in progress stuff. Ah well. C'est La vie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The advice in here is really really awesome so thank you...

but the one thing I don't quite get is HOW to do the detailing. I mean I get that you for example use colours from the apple/onion/whatever to shade but I'm a bit lost on the... details (pun not intended!) For example shading, adding the highlights and especially the texturing - as in the example in the first post in the thread - how do I tell what kind of brush you use to do that? Whenever I try it it looks a bit nonsensical, heh.

Thanks... again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kabutar
    The advice in here is really really awesome so thank you...

but the one thing I don't quite get is HOW to do the detailing. I mean I get that you for example use colours from the apple/onion/whatever to shade but I'm a bit lost on the... details (pun not intended!) For example shading, adding the highlights and especially the texturing - as in the example in the first post in the thread - how do I tell what kind of brush you use to do that? Whenever I try it it looks a bit nonsensical, heh.

Thanks... again
    I wouldent really call it detailing, Kabutar. What i do is figure out the shape then find where the lighting is comming from. brush encomny "strokes". If you follow the form of your subject with the proper value and put your strokes in the proper place you can paint a subject with less then 20 strokes. It's about knowing how to place your value and how light works you need to start to DRAW first. Start drawing on paper with pencil. Get some sill lifes like apples, spoons, cups, riped up paper, towels, and draw like a mad man. Learn how to apply lighting and what happends to it in different situations. Read about it, study it, draw it. Learn about Highlights, halftone, and shadow also bounce light. Break it into simple values try every thing out.. In photoshop i Mainly use a big brush with opticity set to 100% first to lay my main value in then ill go in at 80% and lay in some shadows, and after go in with some highlights and blend togeather with 30% to 20% and then go back in with 80 to 100% for sharp edges and for soft 10 to 20%.. Experment mainly draw from life and photos lots.... Look at other peoples paintings, study master write notes Learn and live.. Just what i have to say may not be right so every one else pitch in and show me some other information,..

Check out this quick video.. Quick painting i did of the bird...
    http://seth-norman.com/Feathers.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thing is - I understand - basically - how highlighting, lighting works or is supposed to work. I just can't make it translate into PS - I don't know how to apply the layers/brushes/blend modes correctly and that's what I need help on. I mean even if I scan in an image that I've drawn and maybe even shaded in pencil or colored pencil - I can't duplicate it in PS.

i Mainly use a big brush with opticity set to 100% first to lay my main value in then ill go in at 80% and lay in some shadows, and after go in with some highlights and blend togeather with 30% to 20% and then go back in with 80 to 100% for sharp edges and for soft 10 to 20%.
    Stuff like this is where I'm lost. for example after the shadows... on the highlight: blending at 20-30% with a soft? hard? how big is the brush... the 80-100% sharp edges... texturing? for texturing do I use a 1px hard brush or a pencil in a softer colour? etc...

it's the technical details that I'm lost on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kabutar
    The thing is - I understand - basically - how highlighting, lighting works or is supposed to work. I just can't make it translate into PS - I don't know how to apply the layers/brushes/blend modes correctly and that's what I need help on. I mean even if I scan in an image that I've drawn and maybe even shaded in pencil or colored pencil - I can't duplicate it in PS.

Stuff like this is where I'm lost. for example after the shadows... on the highlight: blending at 20-30% with a soft? hard? how big is the brush... the 80-100% sharp edges... texturing? for texturing do I use a 1px hard brush or a pencil in a softer colour? etc...

it's the technical details that I'm lost on
    I geuss i dont come across thinking about any of that stuff your making it seem so complicated, I just let it flow.... You do need to know how lighting works to sculpt your image to look realistic though. If you can paint on traditional you most likelky can do so with photoshop it's the same idea.... Check out this think for some tips on blending.,. http://www.furiae.com/images/blending-thoughts.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey everyone. man, its been a while since ive taken a peek in this thread.

anyway, heres something ive been working on lately. its not nearly done, i have alot planned for this. im thinking about making it pure b/w mainly because i couldnt really think of any colors that would go well with it.

whaddaya guys think?

EDIT: oh, its at 50% scale at the moment too...

My Flickr
    OMGSIGLOL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello, I'm a totally newbie in digital painting I bought a genius pen tablet 8x6 5 days ago and still trying to do something with it, I think that this thread is really useful THANKS ;] I still don't have any other brushes except the photoshop ones but here what I came to

I'll be glad if you tell me what is wrong and what I have to do about it thanx a lot again ;]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    an excellent apple I think! .. the only thing I would say is to tidy up the edges. Its much better than my first attempt

"Learn as much as I can at whatever cost, then give it away for free and ask for nothing in return" - (me!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad to hear it, now for the edges here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

Name:  forest-wanderers3.gif
Views: 2442
Size:  210.5 KB

ok this one i started making as a real first attempt in painting in photoshop,but trying to give a realistic look,it's not even nearly to finished but i'd like some suggestions if you can,i also draw with a mouse so don't expect the finished one to be spectacular,
    also yur guide about blending helpt much for the tree and the cloth
    thx i be posting mor later if i get the chance to finish it :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon work in progress under youre tutorial (sorry don't like fruits)

ok i altered a few things already because the second character kinda s*cks from design,so i turned him into a tree because i have some magic lol
    but for the rest same thing as above,
    !! CRIT ME !!
    and plz make more tutorials as this one it rocks

EDIT: the full work i posted in my sketchbook

Name:  forest-wanderer5.gif
Views: 2426
Size:  211.2 KB

Last edited by razorreke; June 21st, 2006 at 06:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, thats all great stuff, and I find the way of blending is a very great one =D
    Im using Painter (and Photoshop 7) in photoshop its totally easy with opacity...but if you put opacity low in Painter, its much harder so to get the right opacity, becuase 21% feels like 90 % ^^;
    well, whatever...what I like to, is that you guys always (or very often) put in color points with the colors you used, so that other ones can remake it easily to get a feeling for colors ^___^

-BH16

An Artwork is the SEEABLE Succsess of the afford and experience of many Years...

~~

My Works and Sketches
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70775

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone,

hehe, the tutorial with the apple is very great ( i said before) I made my own one ^__^

What do you think?

Please give me some good comments, so that I can go forward with learning from my mistakes ^___^

Last edited by Biohazard16; June 21st, 2006 at 10:19 PM.
    An Artwork is the SEEABLE Succsess of the afford and experience of many Years...

~~

My Works and Sketches
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70775

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it looks pretty good but as i can see, the lighting on the apple isn't really natural,it dosn't shine trough, it looks if you have a white gap in yur apple, try to put the opacity lower and and coverage (next to opacity) even lower

hope it helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok there are a lot of great pieces !! I tried .. my first try painting in PS .. I'm used to traditional medium.. the mouse is not very forgiving as a tool.. arg!

PS how can you put in detail with a small brush and still blend effectively???

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TrottierJS; June 23rd, 2006 at 09:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i concure at the mouse part, holds you back alot,i have the same problem aka i don't have money to buy a nice wacom,would make the drawn lines make more natural i guess

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a work in progress of an approved Chinook Salmon project I'm working on. My base art is pencil and white sakura pigment pen on tracing paper. The rest is photoshop.

Cheers!
    D

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im new in here so heres my apple attempt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Speed Paint

All great works around. I'd been inspired by you guys and start to search for a Wacom tablet to start my training. And here is my latest paint i did. Critique will be appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice and simply approach to painting. This was the best of the bunch that I painted took around 45 mins to do I was rather impressed that I was able to get it to look half decent.

'I HAVE NOT FAILED.I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK.'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Out of ideas...

okay, ive gotten farther on my piece, but ive hit a bit of a dead end...

(still at 50% scale)
    i cant exactly thing of what im going to do for the forehead part. i was going to make it look kinda like glass or something, and have the 'tentacles' all meet at one blob in the middle. something aroudn thoes lines. do you guys have any ideas?
    ----------------
    btw, im lovin the work around here.

My Flickr
    OMGSIGLOL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's my humble attempt, I think i got carried away with the smal brush strokes too early...

Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 82