Digital painting in PS - Page 21
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital painting in PS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice apple study, egets! really pushed it!

i too am doing 'studies'...but of the evolutionary kind.
    here's a zoom in on an arthropod known as marrella. (based off of fossils and reconstructions)...basically havin' fun playing with brush variations.

cheers!
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shucks you guys...
    those studies look super nice!!!

Dave... damn,looks like a charcoal drawing, and i'm being serious!
    egets! such a delicious apple, starting it out from that bright magenta i was skeptical but you NAILED IT! hell yeah!

that is all

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Electric Pear

Here is a pear I just did. This is a great thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by guggenmaneuver
    shucks you guys...
    those studies look super nice!!!

Dave... damn,looks like a charcoal drawing, and i'm being serious!
    egets! such a delicious apple, starting it out from that bright magenta i was skeptical but you NAILED IT! hell yeah!

that is all

j

heeyyy scepticism is not allowed in CA.org it must be one of the basic rules (you know like in the Fight club)

look I dont know why I love you I just do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some more creatures of evolution....cambrian period.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i never tryed to paint nature by computer. i'll try it now. thanx for inspiration everyone

Last edited by Scoobydoo_lt; May 14th, 2006 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p.s really nice works everyone

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for this thread. I'm just starting to get into painting in both traditional and PS and I've been struggling with PS. This is my second serious attempt at PS and I guess it turned out ok. It took about 30 mins, but I still don't get how you are blending the yellow stripes that you add in on the sides of the apples. If someone could try goin over that again for me, I'd appriciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another attempt. I'm not understanding the blending still, you guys are making the apple look realistic, while mine still seems like a drawing. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    on the first page of this thread bumskee explains the method to 'smooth' stuff out... thats what you're after I believe ... have a look

"Learn as much as I can at whatever cost, then give it away for free and ask for nothing in return" - (me!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks jack. I've been working with what he says and I guess I've kind of pinpointed what my issue is. In the apple above and the new apple I'm about to post I have yellow/green details in them. But they look like they are just drawn on. When I go to blend them they seem to almost disappear. Where in the examples at the beginning you can clearly see the details but they aren't almost disappearing.

Do you use manually set opacity and blend by sampling and painting, or do you use pen pressure to set opacity?

Last edited by Bohh; May 19th, 2006 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

its my time to try

lol I came across this link today b4 I knew none of this only thing i use pshop for is to edit pics lmao, so here r my first 2 attempts

Im still lost in the woods when it comes to some of these things maybe thats why these dont look soo well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohh
    Thanks jack. I've been working with what he says and I guess I've kind of pinpointed what my issue is. In the apple above and the new apple I'm about to post I have yellow/green details in them. But they look like they are just drawn on. When I go to blend them they seem to almost disappear. Where in the examples at the beginning you can clearly see the details but they aren't almost disappearing.
    If the representation of what you draw is realistic or not, is not a matter of how you set up your opacity. Its just a means to get to your results better. But to answer your question, you can change the opacity by 1)pressing one number (1 would be 10% 2->20% and so on. 0 -> 100%) or you can indeed change it in the brush menu under other dynamics or something. you need understanding of color though. shadow is less saturated, keeping an ambient color, etc. And draw what you see. An apple is mere a blob of colors. All you have to do is putting those colors on the canvas.

BTW I think your last apple is great already, nice highlights Try to work on the top a bit more, put in some kind of environment like a table. The surroundings make a big deal of the believability of an object My apple for reference here you can see, what it makes if the apple is put in some kind of surrounding. Your backgrounds don't work for you. If you put a shadow in it, you need to put the surface the shadow is projected on, in the picture, too.

Last edited by ~Faust~; May 19th, 2006 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's a few

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

okay ..... wow

I have to put my head in a bag to post this,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ivy'sgrandkid
    I have to put my head in a bag to post this,
    head in a bag? nooo.... you're doing ok... just make sure you've read through most or (all of) this thread for learning how to blend correctly... bumskees advice is really valuable! Plus, don't forget to add in a shadow and highlights... the realism really kicks in when those are added.

"Learn as much as I can at whatever cost, then give it away for free and ask for nothing in return" - (me!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,

Tried another apple today. I started off trying to do a self portrait but wasn't happy with it as I was working with it. I thought mabye I had forgotten how to do this after taking a day or two off. So to prove myself wrong I made another apple (only thing im good at I guess ) Here it is, all from my head, no ref.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been looking through this thread and at some tutorials and examples and stuff and trying to paint digitally . . . and I was working on this picture, but got this far and didn't know what to do next.

And with lines:

I posted this in a separate thread in the sketches forum, but No pointed out that it might be a better idea to post it here. She suggested varying my hues and reducing saturation in shadows, and I agree with both those ideas.

Any other ideas of what to do next to get the piece moving forward? I just don't know what the next step is, or how to move on into details. Thanks!

~

(Also, at the time of posting this, my Internet host is down . . . hopefully it will be up by the time you try to view it. I've never seen it down before )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry if this sounds bad, I don't mean it too... but it does look like you're trying to paint beyond your ability atm. I started with an apple and found that difficult. Personally I wouldn't have attempted something like this yet. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fissionessence
    Any other ideas of what to do next to get the piece moving forward? I just don't know what the next step is, or how to move on into details. Thanks!
    hi there fissionessence, not sure if I'm qualified to give advice, but here are a few of my thoughts:

Paint out the white background as soon as possible. It makes darks look even darker... starting with a more neutral color, or a slight gradient to indicate light direction may work better.

Establish a lighting direction early on, so shadows and lit sufraces can be identified early on. If I were to continue on from your painting, I would establish a light direction, and lay in some cast shadows + highlights.

And of course, keep practicing. My form rendering ain't great... cube studies are good practice, both for rendering form and local color (another one I can't seem to get right).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips guys; you're definitely right . . . I'm getting ahead of myself. I guess I just find fruit too boring

~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    some awsome fruits!
    ahh.. here's my brush set btw, I posted in my sketchbook but maybe posting here will be good too.
    min_9
    if you have brushes feel free to share them!

fissionessence,
    it can be quite daunting tackling something that might be just a little too chaotic, while I do agree with simplejack it is a good idea to go over your head once in a while. Just not all the time I guess. But definitely do some more simple shapes to get used to the whole thing. SO that it will encourage you to experiment and find what works best for you. good luck!

cheers,

Min

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want those brushes, but can't get em, Min. Can you stuff em or zip em?
    Cheers!
    D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there, I wanna join in this thread. I've always used painter, this is the first time painting with photoshop, I really like the way the brushes work. I found this thread and Read your tutorial and THANK YOU so much! This here I did in about 20 minutes using NO REF! yeah thats right, no ref. I know the thread is focusing on still lifes, but I was just in too much of a hurry to get something and attempt painting it because I wanted to try out painting with photoshop. I will do a observation/painting later and post the steps but for now I just did this to get a feel for using your blending/painting techniques. Oh yeah, this is all default paintbrush with pen presure set to opacy, no line art, just 1 layer, a real quicky. Here you go:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is really good I think! much better than my first attempt... you're gunna be soo good with a ref

oh and thanks for the brushes bumskee... they are great, I really wanted to replace my default PS brushes but wasn't sure which I could afford to remove, this has saved me a whole lot of trouble.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    thanks simplejack & mr joe, the apple is looking solid.

Dave, did you have any luck with the brush, sorry I don't have internet at home. If you still want it, I can email it to you or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks simple

after finals gona give it a try again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right just thought i would drop this in here, after my sub par apple we are moving onto environments. Doing the apple study really helped build build my confidence in ps and im starting to get a hang of the basics.

Any advice or crits appreciated.

Edit : Thanks bumskee, its very cool of you to set this up and keep it rolling. Nice one man, I owe you a beer or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    asgardian, Hey man, blah blah blah... I'll tell you on MSN, firefox crashed and deleted my reply.

Very quick study, 45mins-1hr, not sure.

-B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to join in the fun - never really drew vegetables. I never really practice to draw anything, so I was a bit afraid.

I found a couple of ancient potatoes int he fridge. I actually had a blast, here is my WIP.

The color was bothering me, I couldn't really get that right.

Done! My first potato. It started to sweat by the time I was finished with it.

Adding the color, now it's altering the shape, but looks more like my potato.

I have trouble with adding shading without changing the shape of the item. Also - how to separate the shade and the actual edge of something without adding the lame black line around it.

Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 82